Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#27

Ratings: 12,723 |  Reviews: 3,246
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The reason I rated maybe lower then others is, I have had so many great Barreled Aged Stouts that just taste better. I have had a few each year and they do age very well. Looking forward to a 5 year vertical aging

4.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this years ago but it was almost a year old at that point.

This is the 2016 batch.

Smells like dark chocolate and coffee. It is a little mild and one noted/ familiar. But it smells really nice. NO bourbon to speak of, however.

Tastes great. Great mix of coffee, dark chocolate, and some heat from the barrel. It does come off as a little hot to me. But a real nice amount of bitter, dark chocolate.

The biggest difference for KBS this year is the mouth feel. It's still not great, but it is better than it was. Medium plus body.

Overall, very enjoyable, but a little harsh. Before it was a little thin and predictable. But this batch seems a touch too harsh. Still great though, just not world class.

2014 vintage.

Strong black coffee, dark chocolate, moderate bourbon presence.

V.07
I was one of the first to taste when it initially arrived in Cleveland, and wasn't impressed with this years batch to buy more than one bottle, which is now the one I'm reviewing. Now, I'm wishing I purchased a couple more when I had the chance.
But, not that I believe that this years model is stellar stuff. More for the cellaring aspect. I have a 2006 that I would like to vertical.
Dark pour, with thin rimmed head.
Pleasant coffee aroma, rich and complex in the nose. You will want to taste it.
Taste is an indulgence of more rich coffee & dark chocolate.
Clean, creamy, and well balanced. No harsh bourbon/alcohol characteristics to speak of.
Now, I must confess, this is a very good beer. Highly anticipated. A very well crated beer. Yet, the $20/4 isn't justified, in my opinion.
I have found solice in say, Bell's Expedition or Brooklyn BCS (the latter being highly reasonable and just as satisfying in complexity) so go out and judge for yourself.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

I decided to crack a 2009 vintage bottle tonight to see how it's aging. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

This beer is very dark brown to black with a finger of very silky chocolate milk colored head. The head fades into a thin layer and leaves very spotted lacing.

The nose is full of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, and baker's chocolate. It smells delicious!

The first sip hits me with coffee and bourbon. I'm actually getting a lot more bourbon in this now than when it was fresh. The vanilla and chocolate come next and are rounded out with some oaky tannins and alcohol. There's a slight bitter finish that lingers in between sips. The alcohol isn't hot, but it is warming.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy with low carbonation, but I wouldn't say it's slick.

One of the best imperial stouts out there and a must try if you haven't already. I can't wait for the next release.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

I opened this 2011 KBS only beause I have 2 more aging in the basement for future tasting. I poured the KBS into a snifter at about 56 degrees.

The initial pour was inky black and viscous with a slight thin reddish brown head. I also noticed a nice syrupy cling along the side of the glass.

The nose is heay coffee with notes of vanilla coming through.

The taste is malt and coffee followed by a pleasant vanilla and mildly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily, exactly what I like in a stout.

Overall this is one fine example of a breakfast stout and I look forward to seeing how this fine stout ages in the upcoming year or two. Enjoy!!!

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

From a 4-pk ($19.99) @ Harvard's. 12 oz bottle at 50 degrees into a snifter.

A: It pours a pitch black color with a finger of khaki head that fades quickly but laces very well.

S: There is quite a bit going on; dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, anise, blackcurrants, and cream.

T: It is a struggle between boozy, semi-hot bourbon and medium-roast coffee early with vanilla cream, hazelnut, and bitter dark fruits late.

M: The body is a bit thinner than I expected with a little heat and a sticky, syrupy finish.

D: This is very good but not quite what it is cracked up to be. On the plus side, the bourbon plays more of a supporting role instead of a dominating one.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: This beer poured jet black with little to no head. Spotted brown suds are left clinging to the glass as I swirl along with a dark topaz colored stain. No much lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aromas are very complex. This has a combination of milk chocolate and a bitter dark chocolate. The vanilla is exploding throughout this dark enigma. The wood from the barrell is very strong as well. Perhaps some cedar notes? Wierd, i'm getting some celery too. The alcohol is definitely strong due to vapors that are almost burning the nostrils.

Taste: Chocolates galores. Bittering cocoa film all throughout my palate. A premium blend of the worlds finest coffee grounds seem to be ground up within. The vanilla is a bit overpowering for me, but then again it is well balanced for a monsterous chocolate thunder of a beer. The alcohol doesnot seem to have the same punch that I was getting in the aroma, but believe me it is present. In the words of Borat," Very niiicce!"

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I had anticipated, but I would say it has a lighter side of thick body with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Alcoholic vapors musters all throughout the session. It leaves behind a gourmet coffee film. Sweet and bitter.

Drinkability: This does improve as it warms. I like the complexity. I would love to try this again perhaps a fresher bottle. If you have not had the pleasure , you dont know what your missing. Mmmmm....(Raises glass)....

Cheers2Beers

12oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours about as dark as a beer can get. A half inch of cocoa head rests on top.

S - I get that coffee and vanilla that is advertised.

T - I immediately get a puss full of bitter coffee. I get some subtle hints of anise and molasses. The bourbon still has some life as well.

M - Full and creamy

O - This beer looms large on the senses. Founders once again does an outstanding job.

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

Recieved this from Ron at Vintage Estates on my last trip to Youngstown ohio. Poured into a taster glass pours a nice pitch black with minimal head. The smell is jumping off the charts dark chocolate, cocoa, espresso, strong brewed coffee, simply amazing smells coming from this beer. Taste is just as good as the smell, I can pick up a nice roasted nut flavor with a chocolate velvet flavor then with an aftertaste of coffee grounds with oatmeal. I could drink this stuff in my cereal it is that good for a mornng bevereage, who needs coffee when you have this giant.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company