Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,040 | Ratings: 11,859
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I tasted this beer for the first time this past Thursday while waiting for a take-out order to be filled at Sunset Grill & Tap. I poured the beer into a medium snifter/tulip shaped glass which was the perfect size. The temperature was a bit too cold so I planned on letting it sit and or warming with my hands for a bit. I tried to achieve a modest head but couldn't get anything significant, perhaps by design as this is not intended for this type of beer or particular Imperial Stout (A=4.5).

Not much in the way of aroma, perhaps an actual snifter as opposed to the tulip shaped rim would have concentrated the aroma more acutely (S=4.5).

Taste was incredible. Complex, dynamic and rich. Espresso, bourbon, dark chocolate and oak on the palate. Perfect amount of bite on the finish which was extremely long (T=5.0).

Mouthfeel was perfectly thick and velvety; coated the whole palate (M=5.0).

With such a high ABV (11.2) this beer drank incredibly smooth. I had to try very hard to drink slowly as I was so enamored with the depth of flavors and mouthfeel (D=5.0).

Overall, one of the finest, if not the finest beers I've ever had.

12 oz vintage 2013

A: As dark as night. Looks like a blackhole of deliciousness.

S: Bourbon, whiskey, chocolate, figs, coffee, alcohol. Strong aroma.

T: Wow. Huge flavor profile. Whiskey and bourbon dominate. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, fig, dark fruits follow. Once again, wow.

M: Heavy. Tons of carbonation, decent bitterness, tons of warm alcohol notes.

O: Definitely the best BA stout out there. I've had the pleasure of having these beer three times before: 2010 Nassau, NY beer fest, 2011 Nassau NY beer fest and 2012 in a bar in Rhode Island. Completely missed out last year; until now. On my yeary visit to my undergrad school in Wilmington, NC, I came across a few bottles of 2013 KBS at my old beer store, Lighthouse Beer and Wines (Wrightsville Beach, NC). I hadn't been there in over 3 years and all the staff remembered me, so they just happened t mention the hidden KBS behind the counter. I couldn't appreciate it more. Glad I have a few 4-pks of KBS lined up for this year. Founders does it right!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pour is dark black with no light coming through when held up to a window. Small head around the rim of the glass. And surprisingly a bit of lacing.

S: Bourban, vanilla, dark malt, some alcohol on nose.

T: Really nice flavor with bourbon dominant up front and sweeter vanilla and chocolate notes on the back. Slight presence of coffee late.

O: Expected to be overrated but is not. Consistent with very high ratings and definitely one to try.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours black into my Chimay chalice, some mahogany at the edges of the glass. One finger of mocha colored head pops up as it settles, medium sized consistent bubbles. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Coffee dominates the nose, followed by a fair amount of bourbon . Some sweet roasted malt, definite vanilla and a deeper rich smell, maybe molasses. Getting some sweet chocolate at times as well.

T - Tastes follows the aroma. Bigtime coffee flavor, roasty right up to bitter but not overboard. Plenty of boozy bourbon laced with dark chocolate. Then there is a layer of vanilla and sweet caramel, and maybe some spiciness from the wood? I've had other big barrel aged beers like BCBS or just plain big beers like Overlord that may have more hard hitting flavor in one way or another, but KBS hits the perfect balance in my opinion. Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla...they all are there with plenty of punch, but not overpowering.

M - Outstanding, thick rich smooth full body beer. Not goopy, just perfect, it matches the best hangover curing diner chocolate milk I've had.

D - Again, outstanding. They take a big ABV beer, and balance flavors perfectly to make it as drinkable as you'll find.

I love FBS and was hoping KBS lived up to the hype, it does in my opinion.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - what you would expect from a stout. Dark black color with a dense carmel colored head.

Aroma - strong coffee notes with chocolate mixed in. Faint bourbon and vanilla aromas underneath.

Flavor - first is the coffee and chocolate as you'd expect from the aroma. Following that is a vanilla hint with a bourbon finish.

I will admit that stouts are not my go to style. But there have been some that have impressed me. This would be high on that list. The posts here vary on this one from adoration to those that think it's overrated. Any beer that carries as much hype as this release will have fans and haters. For me it was a very good example of what it represents itself to be. If you like stouts at all and or are a fan of barrel aged beers this should be on your short list.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a warm black and chocolate malt scent along with a beautiful bourban whiskey aroma. It's got a coffee-like aroma that really draws you in. The taste is perfect. This is the best tasting stout I've ever had. It has a very complex palate of flavors ranging from sweet and creamy to earthy and coffee like. The bourban barrel aging really mellows it out and greatly enhances the taste. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I enjoyed this on tap at the brewery. It was the last stop on my roadtrip and was definately worth it. I wish we could get this in NY. This is the best stout I've tried. It's about as close to a perfect beer that you're going to find.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Dark black. Thin brown head with only a little lacing. Not much carbonation. Served on the warm side from this bar, which I thought was the proper way to taste something of this nature.

S- Mocha and other dark chocalates, fresh ground coffee, vanilla, syrup, and oak. The bourbon is also very present and goes well with the mix of toasted and charred malts and barley.

T- Great BA stout. The bourbon definately stood out first for me. Followed by the rich chocolates and coffee. Much like the smell, the vanilla and oak are also present in the taste. A touch of leather, molasses and caramel as well.

M- On the full side of the spectrum for sure. This is a mouthful, as it should be when you have something of this caliber. Creamy, smooth, and a little on the sticky side.

O- Such a treat KBS is. It was overly impressing. The fact that these are always special released and harder to come by, make it that much more of a treat when you land them. I will revisit these as often as possible. Great job as usual by Founders.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from 12oz glass into pint glass, shared with my one of my buddies because this greatness needs to be shared

A- Pitch black with a tiny film of head that lingered quite nicely

S- I cannot wait to taste this! It smells like FBS but theres something more here that excites me in ways I cannot understand ;)

T- WOW... theres no words to describe this. It's a world class stout for a reason beautiful coffee and bourban flavors blend together with small chocolate undertones that make me want 4,235,623 gallons more of this right now

M- silky smooth with a small amount of carbonation that makes this abolutely perfect

O- I can see myself dropping an entire paycheck on this beer once it becomes available in the spring. The best beer I've ever had in my life so far

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Silky thick dark brown head that has very strong retention. Great lacing as the head holds all they way to the bottom of the glass. The beer is dark as night, letting no light through.

S- Lots of bitter roasted aromas. Dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Also some good sweetness in there but it is hard to pic out specific aromas over the roasted goodness, maybe molasses. Hint of dark fruit as well cherries and plum.

T- Huge roasted flavors. Lots of coffee and dark chocolate. Some nice sweet notes as well cherries, molasses, brown sugar and roasted nuts. A lot of good spicy notes as well, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Almost no detectable alcohol.

M- Super thick and very silky mouth feel, much like drinking chocolate milk only way more spice and texture. Very good mouth feel.

Overall- This may be the best stout I have had to date. It is extremely complex with an amazing mouth feel and drinkability that should not be able to be attained by an Imperial Stout. Find this beer, Drink this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Black, with mocha colored head and lacing, poured similar to a frothy mocha coffee.

S - Aroma of chocolate, bourbon - subdued, coffee, mocha, caramel.

T - Almost perfect, perfect base beer in my eyes is BCBS, this is just behind that due to the lack of bourbon in the taste. Chewy chocolate shake flavors with coffee tones.

M - Perfectly carbonated, overloads the tastebuds with every stout flavor I want. Perfection for a stout and lives up to the hype.

O - For the $6-8 / bottle legendary stouts, BCBS, KBS, Black Note, Expedition... This is 2nd but not by much. Wanted a little more bourbon but was a fantastic beer that I will always pursue.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampling with some friends, Eric and Nicole for St. Pat's!
Nose is roasted caramel very much like a good cup of joe, as expected. Head is relaxed, maybe its the glass?
First flavors are chocolate-y, candied. Lighter than expected. Good Lord, is it good. Complex maltiness, kind of like a fine wine, many threads of flavor which melt together easily. Notes of mellow vanilla. Makes me want experiment with old bourbon...someday. Finishes easy-easy. Slides down the palate like mercury and then keeps on giving. Really too excited to give real due to this fine, fine beer. Founders knocks it out again! Thanks!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours like motor oil (in a good way!)This is dark! Loaded with fantastic flavors & notes of coffee, chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. my mouth was watering just watching it pour. The warmer this gets, the better it is. Pour this baby into a beautiful snifter and let it slowly warm while enjoying it all the way through. Don't confuse your palet by having too many hoppy beers prior to enjoying this one. Stick with malty selections for the evening. Bravo! (Although I'm not crazy about them having to change it's name. This is still America right?)

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thanks to beersndrums for this one. I’m just starting to realize how many awesome beers I’ve gotten to try because of this guy. Really an awesome dude!

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter at cellar temperature.

L – Jet black color with a 1.5-finger frothy, rocky, brown head. Great retention and fantastic sheets of lacing. Very viscous.

S – One of the best-smelling stouts that I’ve ever had the pleasure of smelling. There’s a perfect blend of tons of chocolate and coffee, vanilla and oak from the bourbon barrels, and rich dark fruits like plums and currants. All of the aromas are in the perfect proportion and work so well together.

T – It starts off sweet with chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and dark fruit flavors and rapidly picks up a wonderful bourbon and oak flavor. As the dryness from those two flavors builds, bitter roasted coffee appears and also continues to build. Once the coffee starts to fade, beautiful bittersweet dark chocolate comes in to finish up the taste. While bourbon flavors are certainly apparent, alcohol is not. This beer is absolutely delicious.

F – Full-bodied, more carbonation than expected, a silky-smooth, velvety, and sticky mouthfeel, and a bittersweet and dry finish. Coffee, dark chocolate, and bourbon flavors linger along with a smooth throat-warmth from the alcohol.

O – This beer is fantastic and everything that I dreamed it would be. It looks fantastic, has one of the best aromas I can remember, tastes heavenly, and has a great mouthfeel to back it up. It comes close to perfection and is by far my favorite bourbon barrel-aged stout that I’ve had so far. I love bourbon but I don’t want it to overshadow the beer when the two are blended. I think Founders absolutely nailed the blend. The bourbon flavors and aromas are present without any boozy sting. I really wish this beer was more readily available because it’s too good to only be able to get a bottle or two via trading. Maybe my luck will change in the future and I’ll be able to find more. In the meantime, thank you SO much, Jared, for the chance to try this wonderful, wonderful beer!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Inky black in color. Low carbonation level. Huge espresso aroma. Very subtle notes of dark chocolate and anise. Big espresso flavor backed with a lingering bourbon flavor. Big, big roasted malt flavor that is well matched to the coffee/bourbon. Hops? Where? None needed here. Velvety smooth moutfeel. Has a nice oily slickness to it. Very, very drinkable beer. An amazing combination of characteristics that brings the entire package home. Basically all I can say on this one is...F'in A!!!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Serving: Out of a bottle into a Rastal Snifter.

A: The black hole of beer, light cannot escape it. Very minimal jello pudding skin of a head.

S: Coffee, licorice, chocolate, hint of bourbon sweetness. Not surprisingly a whiff of the empty bottle brings on the bourbon, big time.

T: Deeply roasted coffee malt, dark chocolate flavor, catch some cocoa bitterness toward the end. The alcohol is buried deep in the flavor profile, but when it gets there you get the woodly bourbon. Nearly reminds me of a "Black Russian" cocktail.

M: Delivers a creamy entrance, a little waxy which melts away. Finishes thin, but a nice almost sour bitterness lingers. Large moutfulls go down smooth, small sips bring out the alcohol.

O: If you can drink one stout a year, this would be the one. A lot of flavors here, and so much character. As the bottle warns "Is good for everything a stout ought to be good for".
It's a lot to handle, a thimble would be enough for an evening. Enjoy Responsibly.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

As I pour this one it is black as coal with a very creamy Head. Smells of Expreso Coffee and Chocolate,and Bourbon
The flavor is hard to explain but it just comes at you big time. I siped this very slowly as It was given to me by friend at a beer distributer where I live and it is to good and expesive to hurry. I taste coffee,Malt sweetness, vanila and chocolate, With wonderful hits of Pure Bourbon flavor. I loved the true pure Bourbon flavor having worked for Publicker Industries as a 19 yr old kid in 1966 it reminds me of Our top seller in the Old Days Old Hickory Bourbon as when you drank it you had many flavors going through your mouth, changing again and again. This Beer is the Best Bourbon Barrel beer I have ever tasted,it just stands tall above the others, You have periods of Pure Bourbon flavor cuting through the beer sweetly and powerfuly.
It is very creamy and refreshing in your mouth.
This is a grade A+ #1 Bourbon Barrel Beer. Exceptional in flavor and Quality. What a great brew from Founders. Try this for sure it is amazing

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Founders Brewing Company - Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - 12fl oz bottle

Look - Pours black as night but thinner than a RIS with a small chocolate head that leaves sticky lacing. There is a nice red hue on the edges.

Smell - Rich chocolate, molasses, coffee, and a hint of bourbon. Maybe a tinge of vanilla cherry.

Taste - So damn rich and smooth! A friggan adult milkshake! Slightly carbonated wave of coffee (espresso), then dark chocolate/cocoa, then back to coffee. The bourbon sits in the background, adding a little oomph. Hearty as hell!

Mouthfeel - Rests a thick burnt sugar, roasted coffee, and toasted chewy chocolate. In terms of booziness it is remarkably light for 11.2%. Drinkable but sip this one, it has a lot to offer and taking your time is the only way to do it.

Overall - Do NOT serve cold as it dampens the flavor! Leave the bottle(s) out for 30 minutes or so before serving, it definitely bring outs the complexity. This is another great brew by Founders.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

It pours a perfectly obsidian black. In fact, coming out of the tap, it looks like what pours forth after I open the drain plug when I change my oil. The head is thick and milk chocolate brown, and fluffy like mousse. Lacing is thin and ribbed, ringing concentrically down the inside of the glass.

The aroma is a dense melange of black roasted espresso, dark roasted grain, and a woody drizzle of earthy bourbon. Twinges of chocolate and vanilla back up a warm and overt halo of alcohol.

Upon sipping, and admittedly with great anticipation, the flavor verily explodes with a series of elements, including blackened grain with burnt sugar and molasses, dark caramel, deep espresso, charred oak, down-home bourbon, and licorice. As the alcohol heats up, bitter chocolate and vanilla become lightly apparent, and burnt biscuit joins resurgent coffee and grain sweetness. The bitterness builds toward the close, as the finish crisps up but never totally overwhelms the lingering malty sweetness. The seamless complexity of this beer delivers a flavor to be remembered.

Full bodied, it pours like gear oil, then goes all creamy and soft, coating and caressing as it lulls the palate into a happy enchantment.

Simply put, this is one seriously dangerous beer. It is as earthy as can be, it's a coffee addicts alcoholic dream, and the bourbon and oak component gives it a unique and home style feel. The crafting that goes into this brew is apparent every step of the way. While the ABV is very big and bold, the parts come together to lend an eminent drinkability, and therein lies the danger to the unwary. And I dare anyone who loves this style to have just one. I tried, and failed with a huge smile on my face. I made a beeline to be able to try it the first time. Now I'll make a beeline to get it any time I can in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

This one reminds me a lot of the GL BA Blackout Stout. Bottle pours black with an aroma that makes me want to keep smelling and drinking it. Smells of dark coffee and some bourbon abound. Head is a dark tan, almost milk chocolate color. Head does not last very long. Tastes like roasted coffee and bourbon from the first sip to last. Mouthfeel is velvety silky smooth with some occasional hints of oats. This is simply an outstanding brew and is easily of my favorites.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

i was able to get one bottle of this by chance and the graces of the dude @ the beer store. i didnt even know what it was. i know what it is now. kbs is one of the best stouts i have ever had. it pours an opaque black and is pretty thick.the smell is not to strong. i get a little creaminess in the nose. the flavor is rich and complex with a nice bitter that maintains from start to finish as the of background flavors move from coffee- to chocolate by the end. now im pretty sad b/c this isnt around for me to buy all the time.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance- poured from a growler into my snifter black as night, thick, and oily with nice finger of mocha head that dissipates into a nice ring around the glass and leaves great lacing.

Smell- roasted coffee dominates with chocolate, booze, bourbon and oak undertones. wow! there is a lot going on here. when it warms the bourbon and vanilla flavors slowly become more pronounced.

Taste- bourbon comes through in the taste but is well balanced with the coffee and a sweet chocolate finish- lots of well balanced flavors...vanilla...bourbon is complimentary and lingers throughout.

Mouthfeel- thick creamy delicious perfect carbonation warming finish

Drinkability- off the charts for something this high in ABV. Very well balanced and easy to put down for a barrel aged stout.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Goliath for the chance to try this beer:
A - Pours an opaque black with a perfect two finger mocha head that dissipated to a light film. Lacing was immaculate, completely coating the side of the glass and did not let go.

S - Brunt coffee, dark chocolates, sweet molasses, vanilla, and bourbon. Although the scent is super busy, it is really well balanced.

T - Heavy bourbon and burnt coffee. Subtle chocolates and molasses brings the flavor together.

M - Chewy mouthfeel with a low, but appropriate carbonation. Alcohol burn is present, but works to compliment the bourbon nature.

D - One of the best beers I have had. Good complexity and balance. Alcohol content makes it a little hard to have too many, but who cares.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours black with a mocha head. Aroma offers some nice bourbon and oak, nice roast, chocolate, coffee, and some vanilla. Exactly what you would expect from the description of the beer and as good as you would expect it to be. Flavor follows suit. A medium bodied mouthfeel, not too active to allow the flavors to stick around in your mouth. Overall, an absolutely phenomenal beer. Exactly what I hoped it would be. Right up there with Big Bad Baptist for my favorite barrel aged coffee stout --> I'll take Big Bad Baptist when I want the emphasis to be on the coffee, I'll take KBS when I want the emphasis to be on the barrel. Either way, can't go wrong. This beer is elite.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle dated 02/08/2010 : poured last night into a snifter at 58 degrees Fahrenheit.

A: Deep dark black. Looks like black coffee with the slightest brown ring when tilted and held to the light. Not much head to speak of, but still enough carbonation to create a little lacing on the edges.

S: Chocolate, Coffee, Vanilla, Oak and bourbon all swirling together. A subtle alcohol heat and sweet malts.

T: Bitter chocolate, with smooth vanilla and coffee undertones. A bit of a boubon burn, and some dark caramel.

M: Thick and syrupy. Pleasant carbonation. Perfect for just sipping.

O: With about a year and half on this one in the cellar, it is holding up quite well. Things seem to be leveling out a bit and finding a smoother balance. It's hard to think of improving on this. Just the best barrel-aged stout I've ever tasted.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

on tap poured into a snifter

A- Black. Pitch black. Jet f*ckn black. Gorgeous mocha colored two finger head pops up. It's surprising to see a monster beer of this abv able to produce such an ample layer of foam.

S- freakin awesome. Served cold, probably about 48 degrees which leads to a much softer nose than what you get after it warms up- regardess, this is a huge beer with massive aromas. When cold, toasty malty and chocolate dominate. The bourbon is not obnoxious, rather it hides behind the HEFTY, thick, roasted malt and cocoa aromas that batter your nose.

T/M- This beer tastes as black as it looks. Unbelievably thick and malty. Malt flavors range from burnt toast to sticky fudge, with the former presenting itself as the beer warms. The first few quaffs may lead you to think the beer is a bit of a one trick pony. The bourbon is again in the background somewhat as the massive malt profile takes centerstage. Roasty dark chocolate, vanilla, and fudge flavors lather and coat your tongue in an epic, huge body that is rounded out by a silky oatmeal smoothness. In the finish the bourbon finally makes its full presence known. After it goes down a woody bourbon heat lingers ever so lightly, falling just short of being too pronounced- perfect.

As it warms the bourbon really comes out in all stages, and the coffee flavors and aromas appear beyond what was just an espresso like quality at first. A bit more astringency and burnt sugar also comes forth. There may even be a slight earthy and herbal hop presence but its almost impossible to tell underneath all this malt, coffee and bourbon.

O- This beer is really quite amazing, noticeably better on tap than I remember it being the half a dozen or so times I've had it out of the bottle- which I also thought fantastic. An epic concoction with copious amounts of malt. A no holds barred concoction that I would liken to a bag of dark chocolate, thrown into a bag of coffee, thrown into a bourbon barrel- but that would be only the beginning. The resultant mixture must be tasted- heaven in a glass.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company