Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,056 | Ratings: 11,994

Review #750
2014 Vintage, poured into my Founders snifter

A- pours a deep & dark jet black color with a small khaki-brown creamy head that eventually reduces to a film on top, alcohol legs sticking to the sides 4

S- deep and rich aromas of dark chocolate mix with fresh espresso coffee up front, sweet notes of vanilla bean, fresh cream, molasses & caramel follow. Toasted almonds mix with a woodsy oak character and bourbon barrel juice, black licorice & dried fig close it out. The complexities of the aroma continues to open as it warms, simply amazing 5

T- rich bitter-sweet dark chocolate coats the tongue with freshly ground coffee quickly kicking in, sweet vanilla bean follows into the mid-palate that cuts through the coffee & seems to emphasize the chocolate. Highlights of dark cherry and fig kick in, with sweet caramel, the barrel gives notes of toasted almonds and charred oak, eventually leading into a bit hit of bourbon and closing out with smoky malt and more sweet chocolate mixed with bourbon. The linger stays on the palate long after sipping 5

M- medium-thick body with low carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel with an oily warming finish, lingers of alcohol 4

O- Every year I have this beer, it remains my favorite. The complexity of flavors and aromas mix perfectly and leave you wanting more with each sip. I'll continue to trade for this one every year, simply outstanding 5

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Was thrilled to see this on the shelf at my local Hiller's...

KBS pours out much like its relative, standard Breakfast Stout...opaque black, a tan head, pretty good lacing...basic stout. Smell on this one is very similar to BS as well, chocolate, malts...definite bourbon notes present as well on this one though.

The taste is where the beer comes alive though...basically take coffee and malts, and then inject a healthy bourbon and vanilla aspect from the barrel aging, and then make the aftertaste linger even more solidly with an almost rausch like smoke character. This beer is as smooth as any stout I've ever had, and is certainly the best unique barrel aged stout product that I've ever had. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel...creamy, full...it coats your tastebuds...great stuff. The drinkability, impossible to beat, particularly for a beer this big. A lack of hops, a creamy mouthfeel...for 10% this is exceptionally smooth drinking. This is a beer that I literally buy anytime I see it, either on tap at Founders or on a store shelf.

The bottom line is that Kentucky Breakfast hits the ball absolutely out of the park in terms of both flavour and overall quality. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. This is the grand cham-peen of Founders impressive beer lineup.

12 ounce bottle poured into a Belgian style tulip

A: Pitch black with a nice creamy tan head with some great lacing. The head retained for quite some time for a barrel aged stout. The head looks really good, lots of tiny bubbles.

A: Bourbon right up front, toasted coconut, picking up some coffee, chocolate, roasted malt aromas. Smells really balanced, there's nothing that just out directly. Nice aroma.

T: Like the nose, bourbon, toasted coconut, coffee bitterness, chocolate sweetness, picking up a little vanilla, there is some alcohol burn on the back, bitter dry finish. Nice roasted malt flavors, no alcohol burn. Picked up some warming in my belly about halfway through the glass.

M: This is very creamy, smooth, dry finish.

O: I was not sure what to expect from this beer, it's different from other BA stouts I have tried, the bourbon is not big up front but the other flavors make up for it. It has a nice coffee, chocolate, vanilla bitter sweet flavor that I think makes this beer unique from other BA stouts, it almost seems as if this Founders Breakfast Stout barrel aged, even though it's not. I think it could use a little more bourbon presence but it's definitely a world class stout. If this was available every Spring in CA, I would definitely buy as much as possible.

Cellar check: just pulled a 2013 from my cellar, it has a great creamy smooth mouthfeel, hints of coffee and chocolate come through, bourbon is still there, taste amazing, surprisingly, still picking up some heat from the alcohol. The stout characteristics have come forward, roasted malts and chocolate, has aged pretty well.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Founders KBS is an amazing beer. You'll notice coffe, chocolate, wood, bourbon but these flavours complement what is a really fantastic base beer.

A: Black colour and good 5 mm head that fades to good lacing. 4.5

S: Smells of roasy malts with a hint of whiskey. 4.5

T: Roasted coffee and chocolate. The aftertaste is smooth with a woody finish. The whiskey isn't as string as in the CBS I had; here it just provides a lovely mellow background. Superb. 5

M: Silky smooth. 4.5

O: Pure bliss. Not overwhelming. Not too big. Didn't even notice the alcohol. 5

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the bottle into my large Dogfish head snifter, fresh as can be, patiently reserved in line for a simple four pack to be consumed and reviewed. This is my milestone, and my 300th review on Beer Advocate. Much thanks to the brothers. Onward...

Off the visible pour it is borderline motor oil black out of the bottle but not quite... Head is very solid and cocoa light brown I would say with a good solid retention. After falling for LOTS of time (having consumed two of these in one sitting) it maintains a collar that will not go away. The body is my personal favorite walnut brown, but just wants to hint... I mean just hint at black midnight. Based on all that... she looks great. Decent lacing giving up to leopardy like spotting.

Bouquet is jarring for this style and a big surprise considering the abv in front. DRY husky grain, faint dried out wood, not a wood smell that I could pinpoint (regardless that they come from American oak bourbon barrels). The sense is something tannic is coming even though you DO NOT smell tannins. It strangely (dare I say it) feels like fresh cut timber or assembled oak furniture. Very dense and full of body. Some simple cheap store bought coffee also. Extremely unique smelling and balance.. really nice. When I smell these aromas, they feel like I am tasting and drinking this beverage as it is. Cellar like smell with a dampness that isn't ruined, musty, no not BAD.. just down there.... DANK DANK DANK!!!! Chocolate milk bent on the nose. No sense of heat or big booze coming for this large ABV.

Taste is well, stealing something from the vocabulary.. exceptional when factoring the mouthfeel. Almost silky but SOoooo... easy palatable and borderline wet in feel. Big milk chocolate front but not turning into a sweet chocolate bomb. Sweetness hints, faint standard coffee, but extremely balanced profile. Slight tannins in the mouth pushing forward and puckering, it is dry I will give it that but tolerable. What is not here for me on taste just for the record is tobacco and fruit. Vanilla for me personally .... creeps up unknowingly then takes over. It's not apparent at first but then makes it's presence known latter while drinking. This is not a beer that feels particularly like whiskey either. It's not bourbon feeling at all (I have a bias being a bourbon drinker) but that is a good thing this is truly a great beer, and the highly masked abv boozy quality that you would think came from this is completely hidden. This should be considered beer forward and not whiskey. The chocolate and vanilla mix gets into almost ice cream territory, with much fun. This could pass easily as a dessert beer for sure but works also on its own.. So stupidly easy drinking, creamy, almost dark chocolate, balanced soft tannins, woody, FROTHY, too much to desire.

Overall some serious intense craft and quality while drinking this. This is magic right here, and some great feel. Just for the record the high abv on this is dangerous cause I feel like I could just pound these back like no tomorrow. Part of that stupid drinkability, besides all this sophistication and time put into it, is that it feels like a kids morning chocolate breakfast drink, such as Carnation Instant Breakfast drink. Does this beer taste like bourbon... NO. Emphatically no giving way to a good magic that is masking the alcohol.. It is just a great tasting beer and very unique and done superbly.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

2012 vintage. Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. The pour is not quite black, but nearly so. It is extremely dark brown with an impressive brown head for a high abv, barrel-aged beer. The nose is subdued, but pretty rich. I'm mostly getting notes of baker's chocolate and oak along with faint traces of vanilla and coffee.

Full-bodied flavor and as creamy and slick a mouthfeel as any beer I've had. I was startled at how smooth this beer is. Many barrel-aged beers have rough edges (which I kind of like), but this stuff is frighteningly smooth and drinkable. In the front of the tongue, I get tons of rich chocolate, a bit of sweet vanilla, and some molasses and brown sugar notes. At mid-palate, some bourbon and espresso flavors join in and wake up the taste buds. Right on the finish, I get a very distinct rum-soaked dark fruit flavor that I wasn't expecting. It lingers in the mouth and makes for a nice, warming finish without seeming boozy at all. As the beer warms, the bourbon becomes more pronounced, the sweetness up front recedes a bit, and the warmth in the finish starts to heat up. The coffee flavors are everywhere. How the brewer gets so much intense coffee flavor into the beer without any unpleasant bitterness is a miracle.

This beer was pretty much what I expected it to be: gone far too quickly! The flavor is wonderfully tantalizing and complex and demands that you sip in complete silence with your eyes closed (!), yet the beer is so smooth and well-balanced that I had to fight the temptation to take huge gulps. While the nose was not as pronounced as I anticipated, the taste more than met my expectations. This was the very last beer in Founders' regular, seasonal, and specialty lineups that I had never tried. As such, it marks the end of a wonderful beer journey that every beer lover should try to make. Thank you Founders!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Another favorite that I figured was time to give a proper review to.

Poured into a sifter it looks pitch black with an oily looking texture. Very slight brown head develops in the glass, but carbonation is pretty evident in the lacing.

Nose is bourdon upfront, followed by chocolate and coffee in lesser notes. Not hugely floral but very pleasant.

Taste is bourbon upfront, followed by a very pleasant coffee/dark chocolate taste. Finishes with a slight coffee bitterness. Halfway through the glass a slight charred fruit taste starts to develop, but nothing overpowering. Very slightly hot but not unpleasantly so.

Mouthfeel is amazing.... as creamy and smooth a beer as I have experienced but manages to not feel "heavy" at the same time. While the bourbon taste is there it does not "feel" alcoholic. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall this might be my favorite beer, period...at the very least it is in my top 5. What really differentiates it from similar styled beers is the sense of blending. The bourbon isn't overpowering and flows beautifully with the chocolate and coffee notes, none of which I feel dominate. It is smooth without feeling heavy and slightly sweet without feeling sticky. You can not be a fan of bourbon and still enjoy this beer.... which says a lot, to me anyway. Get this beer.... but then again you already knew that.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A- pitch black with thin tan head
S- bourbon, coffee. So good.
T- coffee, toffee, dark brown sugar, vanilla, boutbon...lots of bourbon. In a very good way.
M- nice smooth coating of the mouth. Not a lot of carbonation. you know you are drinking something big.

Amazing beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First experience with KBS. 2016 poured into a tulip. Coffee, chocolate and bourbon just as advertised. Velvet in a glass, I don't know if I'd even age this one as the coffee pairs wonderfully with this brew. Awesome

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

hhhhmmm, pours jet black into my snifter, no head, no lacing, nothing, kinda disappointing. Onto the smell...

Oh my god! The smell is is amazing. This is a beer that makes me glad to be a beer geek. I could smell this for hours without even taking a sip. In fact, that's exactly what I did for 15 minutes, just smell, no taste, I may have a problem here. Lot's of chocolate, mostly milk. The bourbon smell mixes in perfectly as well as a strong coffee note when it warms up.

The taste is equally amazing. Man, I hate gushing about a beer but this everything I want in a beer and then some. Plenty of chocolate, like the smell, but the bourbon is much stronger on the palate. Chocolate, coffee, and bourbon, all very strong, assaulting your palate, but yet, perfectly balanced.

Slick consistency, low on carbonation, but exactly how I want the beer to feel in my mouth. Ya, perfect mouthfeel. So the beer doesn't look too great. Like a glass of used motor oil, but who cares? Smell it, taste it, feel it tickle your beer geek G-spot like no other, and sit back an enjoy.

World class indeed!!!
A- heavy and thick, viscous!
S- holy $%#^!!!! coffe, chocolate, oats, bitter and dry!!
T-hevy on the coffee side with some balance from the oat flavor, not as much chocolate as in the smell
M-rich and thick, heavy
D- 1-2 bottles, drinking more than that at once would be a waste
This beer is to bee saved, savored, rationed and enjoyed at special times with people who will appreciate this beer as much as you do.
If and when you see buy as much as you can, but be nice about letting your friends in on this beautiful gem of a stout!!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the bottle thick and black with a half finger of dark mocha head. You can smell the bourbon at arm's length, but it's not as overwhelming nearer the nose. smells of warm, moist chocolate cake. It's like drinking dessert - rich chocolate, vanilla and warming. They didn't allow the bourbon to overpower the stout. Thick, creamy mouth. I've a new favorite barrel-aged stout.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Acquired this beauty thanks to BEERchitect. I've been dreaming of cracking this open for weeks. I've woken up in a cold sweat a few times dreaming of dancing Founders bottles with KBS letters flying out at me and into my mouth, and rivers of dark tasty liquid showering me in droves of awesomeness. And now its finally time to sample this thing. I feel like that virgin 17year old at prom that finally steps into the hotel room with his date, made of beer.

A: AS it pours it leaves a dark stain on the air. As it rims around the glass it also leaves a dark brown syrup on the sides, it so thick I can't even call it a stain. I can only match the thickness of this to 40W oil after it came out of a 200k mile car and was there almost all 200k miles. I can almost see chunks of grains floating out with it, but I think that's my brain on KBS. A very faint almost detectable head starts to appear, but it's just a tease as it fades from memory and leaves a few small cliques of bubbles

N: Despite being able to smell the roasted malts and chocolate from the stains on the air, I decided to go in deeper. I think I need someone to cover me. The nose is so overwhelming I think my insides just stained a dark coffee brown color. Tons of coffee and roasted malts just come billowing out of the glass on a horse of dark bakers chocolate. It does remind me a lot of regular breakfast stout at this point, but then comes the awesomeness of the bourbon and oak. The remnants of the bourbon and alcohol dance their way into my nostrils burning the edges slightly as my nose both cringes and begs for more like a sadomasochistic kid getting his first taste of the whip. Did I mention there was some coffee and chocolate there?

T: Oooohhhh snap! Here comes the train. The molasses thick oil like liquid slowly spreads out over my tongue. Lots of sweetness and chocolate come spreading out. The coffee instantly wakes my ass up, hence breakfast. The alcohol taste and burn really just lashes out at my mouth with hot pokers almost as if my mouth has just died and gone to hell. The bourbon taste starts to come through once the heavy set chocolate and coffee attempt to die out. And by attempt to die out I mean when your mouth starts to become used to it because this stuff never goes away. More dark sweetness that could only have come from the depths of Candyland hell start to berate my taste buds for attempting a second sip. It leaves a thick coating all around the mouth as if it was secretly made of wax that sticks when warm. It also seems to leave a slightly milky residue bringing me back to 5th grade and dousing my milk with so much chocolate I used to just take the Hersheys plastic container and fill IT with milk rather than the other way around. Some quick oats dash their way into the taste enough to make a horse blush. A touch of oak and vanilla round it off, if you can say that.

M: Really? Have you not figured out by now? Super thick and sticky, a viscosity of some huge number. The alcohol burns the edges of the mouth and any flesh that dares stand in it's way. Could use a slight bit of more carbonation, but that is most likely a product of the aging.

F: Finishes semi sweet, like just chewing on a piece of rubber coffee cake and then biting on some baker's chocolate. The thickness fills all the pours and taste buds so much so that I don't think I'll be able to taste my dinner tomorrow. The coffee's caffeine can't be absorbed anymore as everything is coated with that huge thick substance, more solid than liquid. The slight oak and vanilla, followed by bourbon and more alcohol seem to fade last on the tongue, except the chocolate and coffee which never disappear. With it being so ridiculously thick and strong tasting I can barely continue to sip it.

Final thoughts: While I'm sitting here enjoying this amazing beverage that I have been having wet dream about, I think my house is on fire, my son is probably in the corner chewing on wires or something, and the Patriots are somehow getting their butts kicked by Buffalo, but none of that matters as my world fades into a vertigo feeling as I blissfully attempt to consume and digest this crazy stuff. It's almost as if I'm living vicariously through myself trying to enjoy this, or am I still dreaming. Perhaps its a coma I slipped into when I took my first sip of it. I don't even think there is a word in the English language to describe it, so I'll make one up. This beer, is it still really a beer at this point, anyways this beer is transcendingerompteous. Need I say more? Can't wait till this stuff comes around again.

Edit: The Patriots came back to win with :50 left in the game, 2 hours later, just as I was finishing up the KBS!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just bought this today. Looks pitch black with almost nothing of a head, just a ring around the side of my glass. The smell is vanilla, chocolate, coffee, oak, and bourbon. The taste is awesome, nice bourbon, coffee, chocolate, some sweetness. The feel is good, thick lingering bourbon and coffee. I am glad I saw this one at a local liquor store. He had a limit of one per day. I will buy another one tomorrow. 5.99 for a single bottle. Hotdawg, hot diggity dawg!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I tasted this beer for the first time this past Thursday while waiting for a take-out order to be filled at Sunset Grill & Tap. I poured the beer into a medium snifter/tulip shaped glass which was the perfect size. The temperature was a bit too cold so I planned on letting it sit and or warming with my hands for a bit. I tried to achieve a modest head but couldn't get anything significant, perhaps by design as this is not intended for this type of beer or particular Imperial Stout (A=4.5).

Not much in the way of aroma, perhaps an actual snifter as opposed to the tulip shaped rim would have concentrated the aroma more acutely (S=4.5).

Taste was incredible. Complex, dynamic and rich. Espresso, bourbon, dark chocolate and oak on the palate. Perfect amount of bite on the finish which was extremely long (T=5.0).

Mouthfeel was perfectly thick and velvety; coated the whole palate (M=5.0).

With such a high ABV (11.2) this beer drank incredibly smooth. I had to try very hard to drink slowly as I was so enamored with the depth of flavors and mouthfeel (D=5.0).

Overall, one of the finest, if not the finest beers I've ever had.

12 oz vintage 2013

A: As dark as night. Looks like a blackhole of deliciousness.

S: Bourbon, whiskey, chocolate, figs, coffee, alcohol. Strong aroma.

T: Wow. Huge flavor profile. Whiskey and bourbon dominate. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, fig, dark fruits follow. Once again, wow.

M: Heavy. Tons of carbonation, decent bitterness, tons of warm alcohol notes.

O: Definitely the best BA stout out there. I've had the pleasure of having these beer three times before: 2010 Nassau, NY beer fest, 2011 Nassau NY beer fest and 2012 in a bar in Rhode Island. Completely missed out last year; until now. On my yeary visit to my undergrad school in Wilmington, NC, I came across a few bottles of 2013 KBS at my old beer store, Lighthouse Beer and Wines (Wrightsville Beach, NC). I hadn't been there in over 3 years and all the staff remembered me, so they just happened t mention the hidden KBS behind the counter. I couldn't appreciate it more. Glad I have a few 4-pks of KBS lined up for this year. Founders does it right!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pour is dark black with no light coming through when held up to a window. Small head around the rim of the glass. And surprisingly a bit of lacing.

S: Bourban, vanilla, dark malt, some alcohol on nose.

T: Really nice flavor with bourbon dominant up front and sweeter vanilla and chocolate notes on the back. Slight presence of coffee late.

O: Expected to be overrated but is not. Consistent with very high ratings and definitely one to try.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours black into my Chimay chalice, some mahogany at the edges of the glass. One finger of mocha colored head pops up as it settles, medium sized consistent bubbles. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Coffee dominates the nose, followed by a fair amount of bourbon . Some sweet roasted malt, definite vanilla and a deeper rich smell, maybe molasses. Getting some sweet chocolate at times as well.

T - Tastes follows the aroma. Bigtime coffee flavor, roasty right up to bitter but not overboard. Plenty of boozy bourbon laced with dark chocolate. Then there is a layer of vanilla and sweet caramel, and maybe some spiciness from the wood? I've had other big barrel aged beers like BCBS or just plain big beers like Overlord that may have more hard hitting flavor in one way or another, but KBS hits the perfect balance in my opinion. Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla...they all are there with plenty of punch, but not overpowering.

M - Outstanding, thick rich smooth full body beer. Not goopy, just perfect, it matches the best hangover curing diner chocolate milk I've had.

D - Again, outstanding. They take a big ABV beer, and balance flavors perfectly to make it as drinkable as you'll find.

I love FBS and was hoping KBS lived up to the hype, it does in my opinion.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - what you would expect from a stout. Dark black color with a dense carmel colored head.

Aroma - strong coffee notes with chocolate mixed in. Faint bourbon and vanilla aromas underneath.

Flavor - first is the coffee and chocolate as you'd expect from the aroma. Following that is a vanilla hint with a bourbon finish.

I will admit that stouts are not my go to style. But there have been some that have impressed me. This would be high on that list. The posts here vary on this one from adoration to those that think it's overrated. Any beer that carries as much hype as this release will have fans and haters. For me it was a very good example of what it represents itself to be. If you like stouts at all and or are a fan of barrel aged beers this should be on your short list.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a warm black and chocolate malt scent along with a beautiful bourban whiskey aroma. It's got a coffee-like aroma that really draws you in. The taste is perfect. This is the best tasting stout I've ever had. It has a very complex palate of flavors ranging from sweet and creamy to earthy and coffee like. The bourban barrel aging really mellows it out and greatly enhances the taste. The mouthfeel is perfect as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I enjoyed this on tap at the brewery. It was the last stop on my roadtrip and was definately worth it. I wish we could get this in NY. This is the best stout I've tried. It's about as close to a perfect beer that you're going to find.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Dark black. Thin brown head with only a little lacing. Not much carbonation. Served on the warm side from this bar, which I thought was the proper way to taste something of this nature.

S- Mocha and other dark chocalates, fresh ground coffee, vanilla, syrup, and oak. The bourbon is also very present and goes well with the mix of toasted and charred malts and barley.

T- Great BA stout. The bourbon definately stood out first for me. Followed by the rich chocolates and coffee. Much like the smell, the vanilla and oak are also present in the taste. A touch of leather, molasses and caramel as well.

M- On the full side of the spectrum for sure. This is a mouthful, as it should be when you have something of this caliber. Creamy, smooth, and a little on the sticky side.

O- Such a treat KBS is. It was overly impressing. The fact that these are always special released and harder to come by, make it that much more of a treat when you land them. I will revisit these as often as possible. Great job as usual by Founders.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from 12oz glass into pint glass, shared with my one of my buddies because this greatness needs to be shared

A- Pitch black with a tiny film of head that lingered quite nicely

S- I cannot wait to taste this! It smells like FBS but theres something more here that excites me in ways I cannot understand ;)

T- WOW... theres no words to describe this. It's a world class stout for a reason beautiful coffee and bourban flavors blend together with small chocolate undertones that make me want 4,235,623 gallons more of this right now

M- silky smooth with a small amount of carbonation that makes this abolutely perfect

O- I can see myself dropping an entire paycheck on this beer once it becomes available in the spring. The best beer I've ever had in my life so far

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Silky thick dark brown head that has very strong retention. Great lacing as the head holds all they way to the bottom of the glass. The beer is dark as night, letting no light through.

S- Lots of bitter roasted aromas. Dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Also some good sweetness in there but it is hard to pic out specific aromas over the roasted goodness, maybe molasses. Hint of dark fruit as well cherries and plum.

T- Huge roasted flavors. Lots of coffee and dark chocolate. Some nice sweet notes as well cherries, molasses, brown sugar and roasted nuts. A lot of good spicy notes as well, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Almost no detectable alcohol.

M- Super thick and very silky mouth feel, much like drinking chocolate milk only way more spice and texture. Very good mouth feel.

Overall- This may be the best stout I have had to date. It is extremely complex with an amazing mouth feel and drinkability that should not be able to be attained by an Imperial Stout. Find this beer, Drink this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Black, with mocha colored head and lacing, poured similar to a frothy mocha coffee.

S - Aroma of chocolate, bourbon - subdued, coffee, mocha, caramel.

T - Almost perfect, perfect base beer in my eyes is BCBS, this is just behind that due to the lack of bourbon in the taste. Chewy chocolate shake flavors with coffee tones.

M - Perfectly carbonated, overloads the tastebuds with every stout flavor I want. Perfection for a stout and lives up to the hype.

O - For the $6-8 / bottle legendary stouts, BCBS, KBS, Black Note, Expedition... This is 2nd but not by much. Wanted a little more bourbon but was a fantastic beer that I will always pursue.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampling with some friends, Eric and Nicole for St. Pat's!
Nose is roasted caramel very much like a good cup of joe, as expected. Head is relaxed, maybe its the glass?
First flavors are chocolate-y, candied. Lighter than expected. Good Lord, is it good. Complex maltiness, kind of like a fine wine, many threads of flavor which melt together easily. Notes of mellow vanilla. Makes me want experiment with old bourbon...someday. Finishes easy-easy. Slides down the palate like mercury and then keeps on giving. Really too excited to give real due to this fine, fine beer. Founders knocks it out again! Thanks!

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company