Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
World-Class
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

#26

Ratings: 12,772 |  Reviews: 3,252

2.54/5  rDev -44.9%

2.57/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.64/5  rDev -42.7%

2.64/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured from from a 12 oz bottle into a globe glass.
A- Very black and thick
S- Good combo of coffee and bourbon
T- Starts out as a combo of coffee and bourbon but quickly is overpowered by simply a bourbon flavor
M- Thick, like whole milk or cough syrup
D- one and done, maybe it's just me, but it ended up as drinking as a lightly fermented bourbon.

2.65/5  rDev -42.5%

Opening a 2009 - this beer is opaque black with little head and a strong coffee flavor. Smells charred and bitter as if they burnt the coffee before putting it into the barrel.

This one tastes more chocolate-y and bourbon like. The vanilla notes are much more muted this year than the previous years and I honestly prefer the extra vanilla's presence. Not really complex flavor but decent mouthfeel. Honestly, I enjoyed the aroma more than the taste bc I could pick out the sweet/fruit notes better that way.

This beer isn't that complex. Maybe I've been spoiled - maybe it's not aging well with the bourbon notes mellowing and bringing out the coffee... I just know that it didn't live up to my expectations.

2.65/5  rDev -42.5%

Missed several opportunities to get my hands on this beer. Finally found it at a new bar tonight. Ok beer. Would rather have a CBS, Founders Imperial Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Hoppin Frog Oatmeal Stout, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Old Rasputin, ect. KBS gets a lot of hype, but seems everyone out there is just conforming to popular opinion. Tasted like a bad bourbon. There are much more enjoyable stouts out there. Definitely did not live up to the hype.

2.66/5  rDev -42.3%

Tastes like soy sauce that has been aged in a bourbon Barrel

2.7/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tastes like soy sauce. A little bit of coffee but more cardboard than bourbon.

2.7/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.74/5  rDev -40.6%

Allow me to be the (presumably) first to say I didn't enjoy this at all. It tastes like burnt, old coffee with whiskey mixed in. I've had coffee stouts before, Schaffly's comes to mind, that I have enjoyed, and I love coffee by itself, so it's not that I just don't like the style. I made it through two bottles and opened a third just trying to enjoy it (because I paid 20 bucks for it, not because it is highly rated, I'm not that lame) and I gave up on the third one for a Budweiser I had in my fridge. Sorry if your a fanboy and I'm stepping on your toes, and you can flag this review all you want, and if they take it down I really dont care, but the truth is the truth and the truth must be known. I hope I can save others from wasting 20 bucks on this stuff.

Most DEFINATELY doesn't deserve to be the third highest rated on BA.com. And only 200 reviews are putting it up there with those legendary beers. They really need to weight the number of reviews before compiling lists like that.

BTW, if any of you Founder's fanboys live in the Peoria IL area and want the last one, email me. It's yours for free.

Oh, here's the mandatory stuff --

Served from a bottle.

Poured motor oil black, barely any head, the appearance was kind of a turnoff.

Smelled mostly of coffee.

Tasted like old, stale coffee with whiskey mixed in, and alcohol was prevalant. Taste was very disappointing.

2.78/5  rDev -39.7%

Hype beer. Avoid the strangling drama of this brew.

Had a vertical from fresh to 5 year aged. All were unimpressive and considerably overblown.

One positive note is that the ABV is in double digits, so you might forget the mediocrity after 2 or 3.

2.82/5  rDev -38.8%

Founders KBS is a specialty stout, not an american double / imperial, IMO. I love the normal Breakfast Stout which is in the same class as this, but this one is just ok, and really does not taste much like a beer.

Appearance - Outstanding appearance. Jet black with a amber head (very small one with a quick pour) Sticky looking lacing left behind. Think, Breakfast stout without the head.

Smell - Bourbon? Ok, I know that is the type of barrel it was aged in but wow this first bottle is overpowering me. I am sensitive to liquor smells so that is all I am getting out of this one other than maybe a slight woodsy smell some coffee in the back.

Taste - Bourbon, and damned if it is not strong on the bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle? I mean it has a hint of the Breakfast stout behind it, but it pales in comparison to the taste of the liquor. I am going to have a second one on another day before I make this my final verdict*, but I am not fond of the taste in the least. It almost tastes like they added bourbon instead of just letting it soak up the flavors naturally from the wood. *Second bottle as strong as the first. They definitely added bourbon here. I think this would be much better if they had not added and just let it natural soak it from the wood.

Mouthfeel - Makes up some ground here! The mouthfeel is good. Slight bite, but it coats well. Smooth going down, and the alcohol kicks in giving it a nice warming feeling from the gut all the way up.

Drinkability - I am not sure you would drink more than one of these in a session unless you just really like the taste of bourbon, or just wanted to get drunk quick. But really if your looking to just get drunk there are a lot of other cheaper beers that will do it for you. I would not go out of my way to get this one again, but it is good for what it is I guess.

In conclusion, it looks nice, but smells like liquor and tastes like liquor.

2.9/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.94/5  rDev -36.2%

i am completely baffled with the hype over this beer, and this is coming from someone who loves bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts (barrel aged grimm double negative and barrel aged bomb being some outstanding ones i've tried in the last few months). i took an hour off of work to grab two four packs from two different beverage centers (4 pack limit) thinking i had my hands on gold and fifty dollars later i'm stuck with what i think is the worse imperial stout i've ever had. i don't get it? i much rather have a plain old founders imperial stout than this crap, here's my taste review cos it looks good but who cares
taste; rubbing alcohol. maxwell house. carnation instant breakfast. vantage cigarette butts. jim bean. rubbing alcohol.
KBS kentucky bullshit stout

2.94/5  rDev -36.2%

KBS. The notes on BA say this is NOT a barrel-aged version of the breakfast stout. Too bad. I love their breakfast stout. This? Not so much. It pours oily black with minimal tan lacing. No head, really, but none is expected. The first pour stirs up fresh coffee beans and toasty-smoky malts. It is very inviting. Later on, aromas of chocolate and dark fruits emerge. Finally, I start to smell the vanilla. I am encouraged to dive into this beer. But...I am amazed at the disconnect to the taste. There is a bitter sourness that permeates each drink, like I am licking an oak cube. There is a mysterious bitterness that keeps butting in. I keep looking for flavors in the glass and end up furrowing my eyebrows in disappointment. A hot alcohol burn ends up carrying the day. It reminds me of 100 proof cherry brandy. Think of chocolate covered cherries with a grain alcohol center and you get what I'm tasting. Yeah, I like chocolate, and I like cherries, but c'mon, this is too much. Maybe some time in the cellar will do this some good.

2.95/5  rDev -36%

2011 bottle poured into nonic. Color is black with brown edges, a bit light in color compared to most double stouts, and a tiny mocha collar. Smells strongly of oak and bourbon, chocolate, some vanilla, some coffee and a bit of alcohol. Taste is mostly oak and bourbon, some chocolate and coffee, roasted malts, light alcohol, very little hop presence, an unfortunate old cardboard taste in there as well. Harsh oak in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery for the style with a low carbonation. I know people love this beer, but i think it is average at best and would prefer many other stouts, especially at the price.

2.95/5  rDev -36%

Thanks to Jw347 for this brew.

Before pouring this one you can already smell the coffee, which makes way for the bourbon. Some chocolate thrown in.

Looks a dark brown not much of a head for me.

Hops, coffee, bourbon, in that order. The bourbon is too strong for me. Its not a beer anymore. Its a bourbon with brewers yeasts.

Lingering bourbon aftertaste. Warms your cockels.

Great if you love bourbon, I dont like it though. Maybe aged it would be better. For me this beer was like the rape scene in deliverance, some people think its a classic, for me it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company