Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,470 |  Reviews: 3,189
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%

4.34/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%

Simply put, the best imperial stout I've had!

4.34/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Malty goodness! Nice coffee and chocolate notes.

4.98/5  rDev +9.2%

MI's world-famous stout in bourbon... They do so many great ipa, rpa, and dark styles that can be hard to find, and also have done the centennial dance. #hybridvigorpour

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3/21/16 UPDATE! Original review: 5/2/15.

So much better than I remember. I can say this is much better than what I remember having last year... I wonder if the beer I had last year was the same as this. This has such a great.... everything. I love the depth of flavor, and the mouthfeel is fantastic as well. Flavors of bourbon, coffee, chocolate, wood, a little bit of char, vanilla, a little alcohol... crazy tasty. So much going on. Alcohol is perfectly present and not too warming, even fresh, bottled just over a month ago. The feel is pretty unique for a 12.4% beer -- it's thin, but not. It's slick. It's a little creamy. The carbonation is surprisingly prickly and nice near the finish. Disregard what I said about this beer before, this is a winner, and one I'm ecstatic to just have gotten three bottles of this year.

Good God, finally. I've been interested in this ever since I started enjoying the style 2.5 years ago. I couldn't ever manage a bottle, but I got a howler (32oz growler) fill for $27 including tax earlier today. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. My expectations are stupidly high... which is probably a bad thing.

Appearance: Poured down the center of the glass and gave a thick and creamy brown head about two fingers high that went down to a thin layer. The color is, of course, pitch black, and there's basically no lacing. Great looking beer as a whole. (4.5/5)

Smell: Very nice. Really a lot of coffee in there, which I wasn't really expecting -- dark roast coffee is one of the first things I pick up, followed by roasted malt, and a little bit of chocolate, too. Really, I don't know what it is, but I don't pick up an insane level of oak or vanilla -- I do get a fair amount of bourbon though, that's for sure. KBS definitely smells "hotter" than some other BBA'd stouts I've had. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: And this is where I'll lose some friends (as if I have any) -- it's just not quite blowing me away. I will say, it's unique and unlike BCBS (the popular comparison). Coffee stands out in a huge way with KBS, being at the forefront, and then it's very heavy on the bourbon, with a pretty bitter finish -- this is not at all syrupy sweet like many others in the style, and for that, I appreciate it... but I'm not sure that it's worthy of a 100 rating on this site. Of course, I'm just one unpopular opinion. It's just that I don't get an overwhelming amount of depth in this beer. It's a lot like black coffee with a shot of bourbon, and just a little tiny bit of vanilla/oak/barrel... but mostly coffee and bourbon. The aftertaste is that dark roast coffee with a bit of a boozy burn, and a fair amount of warmth. Maybe it's because this is fresh and/or from the tap, but my jaw's certainly not to the floor. As it warms up a bit of dark chocolate hits the back of the tongue on the finish, but some more barrel character would go a long way here. (4.25/5, 3.5/5)

The mouthfeel of this is, as I figured it would be, quite nice. It's not super thick and heavy like some other BBA'd stouts, but it's got a reasonably nice feel and makes for an excellent sipper.

A great beer, but without a doubt, a very disappointing one, simply because I was expecting this to be, if not my all-time favorite beer, right up there. It turns out it barely cracks my Top 50. I'll finish my howler tomorrow and make rating adjustments if necessary, but as of now, this is just a very good (albeit overhyped) BBA'd stout. I don't think this beer is better than BCBS, or the far lesser known but still insanely awesome Bourbon Ben's Asthma by Short's. It's a beer I'd most definitely have again, but I wouldn't seek it out aggressively. If I do find this beer again, I hope it's in a bottle, so I can put a few years of age on it in hopes of developing more depth and also mellowing it out.

TL;DR: Certainly buy it if you see it, but I wouldn't trade my cellar away or drive far too pick up a bottle/growler/case/what have you -- it's not the best in the style, in my opinion. Definitely ecstatic that I got a chance to try this beer though. Pretty freakin' marvelous.

(4.25/5)

4.24/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

2013 vintage. Midnight in color with a surprisingly small head. Smell and taste are complex and wonderful with primarily coffee flavors but the down point is that the alcohol is not concealed at all. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected but not bad. Overall I believe this is somewhat overhyped but being new to the style I can't compare and still really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: poured with a half finger head, thin film when settled, not intensely black appearance

S: immediate hit of milk chocolate

T: interesting layers of coffee, chocolate, bourbon, with a slight tendency to be a bit boozy

M: average mouthfeel

O: so many layers to this beer, it is an excellent beer I would drink whenever the chance. It is slightly heavy on the roast for me personally however would not call it over roasted. Very good beer.

4.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from Kyle C, poured into pint glass.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft, from snifter, at Founders Brewery.

Look is that of a typical high end stout: very dark, very little foam head upon pour. Smell was of coffee and chocolate. Very distinct and easy to pick out. Taste was, obviously, similar to regular Breakfast Stout, but the BBA did add that additional ingredient that added to complexity of the taste. Not boozy at all, mostly smooth with coffee especially coming through. I would definitely get this any time I saw it on draft or available for purchase in the store.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company