Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,056 | Ratings: 11,999
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Jake Holland for providing me the #4 beer on BA out of the goodness of his heart...

12 oz. bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. No date on bottle, but from April 2013 release.

A - Brown approaching black in color. Low carbonation. Moderate pour yielded less than a finger of a tan/cinnamon head which quickly dissipated. Minor splotching rather than lacing as liquid receded. Not as thick as I expected.

S - Absolutely indulgent. Best aspect of this beer. Smelled of dark chocolate, sweet bourbon, and toffee.

T - Complex flavor palate. Bourbon first and foremost, but without the unpleasantness of straight bourbon (not a bourbon drinker), although still boozy. Additionally, dark chocolate, vanilla, eggnog/irish crème, brown sugar, nutmeg/cinnamon, and slightly acidic coffee notes. The coffee flavors were not as dominant as I expected.

M - Less viscous than I expected; not creamy. Slightly sticky. Lower level of carbonation typical of an imperial stout.

O - An incredibly warming beer. Recommended after a full meal on a cold night. Nothing bashful about it... high ABV, but flavor complements incredibly well. I am not a bourbon fan, but I can appreciate the complex flavor palate. Highly recommended if you are a fan of bourbon and can actually get a hold of one of these rare gems.

4.15/5  rDev -9%

Pours absolutely black with a thin tan head that dissapates quickly and leaves just a hint of lacing around the entire snifter.

Scent is of burnt coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla and sweet dark fruits. As it warms the bourbon aroma comes alive ever so slightly.

Taste is very complex starting with sweet dark roasted malt and a dark fruit. I get a bourbon/vanilla flavor thereafter with a smokey finish that sticks with me for quite sometime. There is the coffee there throughout also.

Mouthfeel is definately full bodied with just the right amount of carbination. It is velvety smooth almost creamy.

Drinkability is above average for this American Double Stout. Compared to their breakfast stout this is much better. I don't know if it's the additional aging or the actual bourbon flavor, but this is an outstanding beer.

I will tell you the truth. With all the hype surrounding this beer I was sure this was going to be a HUGE let down. As I was not too impressed with the regular breakfest stout. Now I have this to say, I dont think the Lord our God would let a beer get any better.

Appearance: Thick, as black as the night, not too far from used 5w30. A thin brown head that collects around the sides of the glass. This head looks like a cloudy sattelite photo of the earth.

Smell: Oh man, like those sweet vanilla cigars old men smoke, like a fresh bottle of vanilla, leather, good coffee, a pleasent alcohol sweetness with nothing offensive detected.

Taste: I drank this at room temp. Who could do this beer justice and describe its taste? This is like creamy vanilla ice cream and port wine. Its not too sweet though I would say on a scale of 1-10 its about a 6. But once you get that initial sweetness the hops come in to keep it in check.

Mouthfeel: Its thick. Like vitamin D milk. Subtle carbonation, I love its touch and how it sets my mind at ease. No fizziness.

Drinkability: When it comes to high alcohol beers you expect them to be a bit harsh and kind of tough to get down. This is an exception, its super smooth. I would like to drink this all the time.

This is the best beer I have had thus far. For me it has surpassed the hype. I imagine only the Saints in Heaven are drinking anything better.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

'09 KBS 12 oz bottle poured in tulip snifter

A: Black as night. When held up to light, nothing penetrates. Half inch of dark tan head recedes but leaves lots of sticky lacing

S: Very nice combination of aromas going on----dark/bitter chocolate, coffee, molasses, dark fruits, slight bourbon, slight vanilla and booze.

T: All the above mentioned aromas blend very nicely in the taste with a nice finish of bourbon and booze. The bourbon is perfect, the booze is a little too much. Everything blends together very nicely. If the booziness was a little less I would have given it a 5.

M: Thick-bodied! Very full mouthfeel on this one. This is how a big stout should be.

D: As mentioned above, the booziness detracts a little from the drinkability of this, along with the 11.2% abv

I first sampled this last year when I first picked it up and it was much 'hotter'. It has definitely dissipated quite a bit but is still a little on the hot side. With that said, this is a very well-done, big stout. I still have another '09 to have, along with a couple of '10's. Another gem from Founders!!!!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a snifter.

Color is pitch black with a perfect coffee head that doesnt really stay around.

wow the smell is complex. Starts off with some vanilla and coffee notes. Lots of smokey oakiness in this beer. REminds me of Black Butte XXI. Some whisky and cognac smells. ohh and some more vanilla.

Tastes like a ton of smoke, like I am licking the inside of a fresh barrel. Bourbon is there too. Has a fresh oaky/coffee twang to it. Creamy mouthfeel, not super thick, just creamy. Some chocolate and reoasted malt flavors. This beer has a lot going on. To age or not to age that is the question. Good stuff, wish it were readily available.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

2010 Vintage

A - Pours a solid black, with a tiny tannish mocha head that recedes rather quickly - true to style. Settles to a beautiful microfilm on top. This one is shaping up nicely.

S - Just like a cup of joe! Strong and robust coffee notes, with some more subtle chocolate and roasty hues as well. Amazingly complex.

T - This is everything I want in a coffee stout in particular, and a stout in general: strong coffee (w/cream, not black), dark AND milk chocolate mixed up together, bit of molasses and some hints of licorice - but just barely. Nice vanilla and oak character, never over-bearing as often happens. Light on the hop profile, yet it is evident. Fiercely complex.

M - Very creamy, carbonation goes a long way to lighten this one up.

D - Among the best stouts I've ever had, and the flavor profile is definitive. Glad I got as much as I did!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

5 oz. pour at the brewery (and that was plenty for me!) Pitch black with a beautiful tan head. Aroma of coffee and bourbon, little else. My server said I was lucky to have caught this on at this time of year (July 2). As I drank/sipped it I couldn't help thinking "they couldn't have put a shot of whiskey in a Breakfast Stout, could they?". Just seems like way to much bourbon flavor to have come from barrel aging...unless someone didn't empty some barrels very well. I would bet my life that this has bourbon added to the beer. Very strong alcohol flavor but delicious. It took me a while to finish it but it was a definite experience for a Texas boy who was wondering if I would ever get the chance! BTW, I had probably the worst food pairing possible because I was sharing a pizza with my wife.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Finally decided I had to review this, perhaps my favorite of beers. I generally crack one of these open once a month or so as a treat for being particularly awesome.

It's basically like my pint of Ben and Jerry's. Rich, creamy and delicious, it is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

First, it looks like beer strained through coffee grounds, head and liquid. Second, it smells like unicorn poop, with just enough of a booze nose to remind you that you are drinking real. Thirdly, it tastes like god's melted ice cream cone, coats the tongue and goes down smoothly. Vanilla, caramel and coffee hit you up front and the bourbon finishes you off. Each sip is superior to the last as this bad boy warms up to room temperature. The only reason I can't drink a six-pack of these is because it is so decadent that my heart may stop. Find some. Drink some. Love some.

If I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it might just be KBS.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Founders KBS (2010) was poured from the bottle into a DFH snifter. The initial pour led to virtually no head, which I blame on the age (year old). A very small head does appear and a small lacing exists as well. The color is basically black with a few brown notes, and no light permeates from it.

The smell has a strong scent of coffee and cocoa nibs, which blend to a mocha sent similar a well made coffee shop mocha. There is also a roasted malt presence, which adds a burnt smell, which does not over power the coffee and chocolate. The smell is also very strong begs you to take a sip; enticing you to drink this miraculous creation. The nose mimics the smell very well, which show how much smell plays a role here. It is very sweet from the chocolate and a slight coffee smell comes out as well. The Kentucky bourbon really hits you in the finish and mixes with the coffee and a faint taste of bitter hops. I would like the hop presence to be more apparent but this is probably due to the age.

The beer feels excellent on the palate, but has no head presence. The very full body makes this a meal in a bottle, but a highly enjoyable one at that. Despite the full body, I could probably drink many of these, and would probably pass out very quickly at 11.2%. The alcohol really comes out from the bourbon, but does not take away from the overall flavor. This defines the style of Bourbon Barrel Stout. All beers of this genre should aspire to be at this level. Worth the hype for any doubters out there.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

'11, poured into a snifter. Thanks Tim!

A hard, jet-black motor oil pour creates a dark mocha head that fades quickly into a ring.

Nose is strong bourbon and mellow coffee coffee with vanilla and dark fruits bringing up the rear. The nose is straightforward and does not play around but retains a ridiculous smoothness.

The taste brings coffee first then fades into bourbon with a strong vanilla finish. Lingering notes of smooth coffee. As the taste becomes more coating the bourbon becomes more prevalent. This is some of the smoothest bourbon I've ever tasted in a beer. Warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and coating. Alcohol becomes a little warming as it hits my belly.

Tough to live up to the hype, but as far as coffee stouts go, this one is right there. Can't find a smoother stout at 11.2.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served off keg way too cold. Let it sit for a few minutes, but probably needed a bit more time than that.

Look: dark brown aged look
Smell: slight sweetness with oak and bourbon
Taste: it's strong and definitely bourbony with slight vanilla flavor
Feel: very warming, not too thick. Not as smooth as I had hoped, but I blame the temp
Overall: it's probably what BA stout should taste like. Great mouth feel and warming. Not as sweet as I prefer but really really good. Drink before going to bed because it will make you feel goooood :-)

Pours black, opaque, with a 2 finger tan head. Smells of dark roasted coffee, bourbon, chocolate and tastes very much the same.

The flavour is intense. Coffee and chocolate dominate, then a kick of bourbon, a little alcohol, vanilla, hazelnut, more bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Heavily roasted flavors dominate this beer with the mellow chocolate and bourbon offering balance while the vanilla and hazelnut round everything out. Very complex, very tasty, very delicious and very, very worthy of a perfect 5.

Easy drinking for such an intense and flavorful beer and this really begs to be made available all year long. The bourbon character is present, but not dominating like most oaked or bourbon beers I have had. It complements the other flavors and helps round everything out, making this quite possibly, the best beer I have ever had in my entire life.

There is no hype surrounding this beer... It has earned it's legendary status.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

on tap poured into a snifter

A- Black. Pitch black. Jet f*ckn black. Gorgeous mocha colored two finger head pops up. It's surprising to see a monster beer of this abv able to produce such an ample layer of foam.

S- freakin awesome. Served cold, probably about 48 degrees which leads to a much softer nose than what you get after it warms up- regardess, this is a huge beer with massive aromas. When cold, toasty malty and chocolate dominate. The bourbon is not obnoxious, rather it hides behind the HEFTY, thick, roasted malt and cocoa aromas that batter your nose.

T/M- This beer tastes as black as it looks. Unbelievably thick and malty. Malt flavors range from burnt toast to sticky fudge, with the former presenting itself as the beer warms. The first few quaffs may lead you to think the beer is a bit of a one trick pony. The bourbon is again in the background somewhat as the massive malt profile takes centerstage. Roasty dark chocolate, vanilla, and fudge flavors lather and coat your tongue in an epic, huge body that is rounded out by a silky oatmeal smoothness. In the finish the bourbon finally makes its full presence known. After it goes down a woody bourbon heat lingers ever so lightly, falling just short of being too pronounced- perfect.

As it warms the bourbon really comes out in all stages, and the coffee flavors and aromas appear beyond what was just an espresso like quality at first. A bit more astringency and burnt sugar also comes forth. There may even be a slight earthy and herbal hop presence but its almost impossible to tell underneath all this malt, coffee and bourbon.

O- This beer is really quite amazing, noticeably better on tap than I remember it being the half a dozen or so times I've had it out of the bottle- which I also thought fantastic. An epic concoction with copious amounts of malt. A no holds barred concoction that I would liken to a bag of dark chocolate, thrown into a bag of coffee, thrown into a bourbon barrel- but that would be only the beginning. The resultant mixture must be tasted- heaven in a glass.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

2010
Pours out one of the darkest beers I've seen lately. Dark fudge color 2 finger head. This thing is unbreakable. Great retention, great lacing. Amazing looking beer.

The smell could overall be a bit stronger. You can really get an idea for the whiskey here. Other things I can pick up off the bat are chocolate, toasted malt, and vanilla.

The chocolate is abundant in the taste. Probably my favorite aspect of this beer. Another point of interest is the vanilla. From what I've been told, last years KBS was different in that it didn't have vanilla. Toasted malts, cocoa, bourbon, feint hops; the two strongest elements are the whiskey and the chocolate.

The mouthfeel is also spot on. Very rich. Full-bodied, wonderful creaminess. There is some heat from the alcohol, it might be easy to consider this too hot. I'm going to wait quite a while before I drink anymore of these

This beer is excellent, but the price is off-putting. I may enjoy this extremely, but there are many other beers for much less that I also enjoy extremely. I've seen some wallets pillaged for 14 dollars a bottle at the Dirty Truth in Northampton. The price and the hype don't make this beer any better than it is, which is good to keep in mind.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

A: black motor oil with same looking viscosity. two finger head when poured aggressive that looks like chocolate whip cream. The head dissipates to just a thin coating on top of the beer but leaves some milky lacing

S: big coffee smells with chocolate and vanilla. very robust i must say

T: Yum! Not nearly as powerful as the smell but there sure is a lot of flavors that are going on but then oddly enough the 3rd taste they all meld together. really really smooth milk chocolate with a robust coffee background touch of vanilla and then i get the oak vanilla from the barrel. mighty tasty. the booze is there but in no way hot.

M: Slick mouth with limited carbonation but at least its there.

D: well i just slammed half the glass just trying to figure out how good it is. i keep wanting another sip. its super smooth and doesn't feel like 11% and i can only imagine how nice it will taste in a year

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to hayesez for this one. He is very generous and an awesome dude.

A - Pours thick and black with thin tan/brown head.
S - I get a ton of bourbon. Hint of the alcohol and not really much else.
T - I love it. There is a lot of bourbon and roasted malt. For the amount of alcohol and bourbon taste it is very smooth and goes down well.
M - Somewhat thick, although not as much as expected for the style.
D - Surprising high. I could easily have several of these, though I probably shouldn't.

Very impressed with this beer. I am a big fan of stouts and especially bourbon barrel aged stouts. This did not disappoint.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

This was the big winner at ThirstyFest - a craft beer festiva sponsored by the Thirsty Monk. The keg didn't make it through the day. Nothing real unusual about it - its exactly what you would expect. A coffee-heavy Russian Imperial Stout with Bourbon barrel aging. There are no curve balls. What distinguishes it is that is such a fantastic example of this style. The bourbon flavor is definitely there, but not overwhelming. This is just a great beer. Drink one at any opportunity you get.

4.51/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into KBS goblet. This is the 2014 edition of KBS. Date of review is 7/15/14.

Appearance- Black as night with a brown head that disappears almost instantly. Very little carbonation but the lacing looks great so far.

Smell- Roasted malt, coffee and chocolate in that order. Vanilla comes through at the end. There is a complete lack of bourbon, which is strange considering this beer spent over a year in bourbon barrels.

Taste- There's the bourbon! In order of dominance, I get bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and then finally, coffee. Flavors remind me of an Oreo dipped in coffee with cream and vanilla sugar. So awesome.

Mouthfeel- Super thick and creamy. Has the mouthfeel of a milk stout. You get all the flavors at once, and then somehow all by themselves.

Overall- Fantastic offering from the best brewery in Michigan. I went to Grand Rapids during KBS week to pick this baby up and I will be doing it again next year.

2.78/5  rDev -39%

Hype beer. Avoid the strangling drama of this brew.

Had a vertical from fresh to 5 year aged. All were unimpressive and considerably overblown.

One positive note is that the ABV is in double digits, so you might forget the mediocrity after 2 or 3.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a midnight black brown with very little head. no light transmission.

smell is strong coffee molasses with maybe some fruit. lots of excellent smoke and toasted notes.

taste is flavor overload. awesome strong flavor. only a small sip and pow! sweet toasted coffee with a slight bitter finish chocolaty goodness.

mouth is thick with medium carbonation.

very very good. not as much bourbon as expected. very smooth with excellent flavor.

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

L: Black with a nice brown head that vanishes and leaves no lacing
S: Bourbon, coffee, roasted malts, alcohol
T: Dark malt, bourbon barrel, coffee, and booze
F: smooth and hot
O: A treat to enjoy whenever you can get your hands on it. For 12 percent it is well made and has just the right balance of barrel and alcohol characteristics

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Beautiful rich deep dark stout with an auburn rim near the edge of the glass. It has a nice amount of head that is a nice tannish brown in color.

Smell: The scent of this beer is awesome. Vanilla hits my nose right at the start with strong bourbon notes right after. There is some definite but light earthy hopps and oak that linger after if you can dig through the intense bourbon. Some definite heat which is to be expected from something called a bourbon stout and that is 11.2 ABV.

Taste: The flavor profile is a complex mix of bourbon, coffee, vanilla, oak, licorice and spiciness that dances on your tongue and calls you to go back for another shot.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. light enough for all the flavors to coat the breadth of you tongue but thick enough to be savory. Light carbonation so as to not distract from the multitude of flavors.

Opinion: I would drink this everyday if I could, especially now that its winter. Sadly though I am stuck half a country away from the nearest distribution point. =( I miss you already KBS.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a great beer with a very dark color that allows very little light to pass through it. A very chocolate colored head greets the drinker along with aromas of Hershey's chocolate and hints of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is very thick but creamy. The taste is very chocolatey with a slight hint of vanilla and bourbon giving this beer a strong flavor that is enjoyable by itself or with BBQ. Had it at The Lark in East Northport, NY.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can't add much that hasn't been said. 2014 vintage, perfectly black, bourbon and chocolate to the nose. Taste was fantastic, the bourbon had mellowed in the months since bottling letting the coffee and chocolate come through. Coats the mouth and tongue with silky goodness. Just fantastic - everything I was expecting!

Some people say this beer has gone downhill over the years. I couldn't disagree more. It just keeps getting better. Bourbon, Coffee, Oak, Vanilla...So good. By far one of the best BA Stouts around.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company