Founders Harvest Ale | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by granger10 on 10-24-2004

Reviews: 1,099 | Ratings: 4,441

What an exceptional freshly hopped beer. It has that immense smell of that wet hop deep resinous freshly cut grass with very juicy smells with some sweet and maybe some mint smells from the hops as well. It smells how the Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Ale smells too. It has that same taste but it has that Founders taste. Which if you had their IPA's you can definitely tell its them making the beer.

It has a crisp taste with that herbal bite in the beginning a sweet honey like malt in the middle and ending with the grapefruit sharp wet resinous herbal piney hop taste that you get in the smell. What an excellent beer. All wet hopped beers have this certain smell and taste to them that I can't quite put my finger on and can only best explain it as take the regular taste of high alpha hops and make it fresher and add a wet taste to it. That's seriously the best way I can describe it. You can tell the difference between dry hopped ales and wet hopped ales.

I like this beer better than their Centennial IPA and has a more distinct hop taste than their Double Trouble IPA. Definitely not as bitter but this one definitely packs some hop bitterness on the tongue which is why they ended up calling an IPA intead of an APA. I know it can't be year round because its a Harvest Ale but they should definitely put this in 6 packs especially it being a pretty sessionable beer at 6.5 %.

2011 Harvest. Poured in pint glass.

Don't know if it's because I had this beer super fresh or if it was just a really fantastic season for hops, but this years Harvest was pretty superb.

Poured golden orange with tight off white bubbles that last and a creamy white head. Clear to slight haze.

Definite upfront notes of pineapple and peach with subtler hop aromas.

Citrus notes in the hops come through with the bittering at the end. Malts are subtle but present.

Very well balanced mouthfeel. medium carbonation.

Overall a very crisp beer with a well rounded fruity flavor from the fresh hops. This is one of my favorites for a reason!

The best wet-hopped beer I have had and I have tried everything I can get my hands on.

Bursting with flavor! It will make your mouth sing alleluia while your brain takes a bath in dumbfounded glory. Oh sure, I could go into the mouthfeel, the various flavors etc. and try to sound like a real aficionado but that would be so far less appealing that just saying fan-freaking-tabulous! You will experience nirvana while trying to figure out if you can ever drink another beer again that doesn't pale in comparison.

Basically this is a beer in which it is exactly what you get from the description on the bottle. It has a hazy golden color, that is perfect in a tulip glass, and the taste of juicy hops of citrus exploding on your palate. Interesting enough you must drink this beer right away. I drunk one on one week and had another the following week and the hops weren't as juicy. You want this beer fresh from the barrel as possible. Also compared to Sierra Nevada's Northern Hemisphere of similar philosophy in brewing with wet hops, Founders destroyer Sierra on taste. Although sierra has a cooler darker look. Perhaps it's based on the type of hops, Founders is more citrus, Sierra is more piney. Either way try this beer and enjoy.

Outstanding 2016 batch, best wet hopped IPA of the year right here. Founders delivers again, if you see it near you, don't just buy one 4-pack, best advice I can give you!!

It's the perfect beer. I love a good IPA because of the crispness. This Harvest Ale is perfectly balanced. I picked up a 4 pack on the recommendation of another patron of our local beer store, and I am glad I did. Might have to go back to see if they still have some so I can load my beer fridge. It is my all time favorite! Signed up for Beer Advocate just to post on this one.

Pours a golden yellow color with a one finger head and some slight lacing.

The nose on this beer is awesome. Its straight pine and grape fruit.

Taste is much like the nose. Its piney hops,resin and delicious grape fruit and citrus. It is really enjoyable.

Nice carbonation and medium mouth feel, bone dry finish.

I love this beer. The grapefruit is awesome and this is probably one of the best examples of wet hopping I have ever had. Drink fresh you wont be disappointed.

Extremely hard to find as i checked at numerous places all october. I luckily scored the only case one beer place received this year. Bottled 10/1/14. Smells great and unique. Wonderful color and nice thick creamy head. From the first sip you can tell this is the real deal......beautiful whole fresh hops. Tastes of raw raw hops, fruity sweet, and canibus. Each sip lingers and leaves you craving for more. Forget pliny. Get yourself a harvest ale. Cheers and thank you founders for this work of art!

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

From a 12oz bottle (bottled 9/30/15)...
Pours a golden-straw color. Reasonable head retention and lacing.
Great tropical aroma! Taste follows nose with some citrus notes that complement well.
Crisp, perfectly carbonated. Excellent finish.
Overall, a hop-forward yet well-balanced version of style.
Only consume this wet-hopped masterpiece fresh for best experience!

bottled on 9/22

Appearance: Beautiful tangerine orange. Semi-transparent with a one-finger head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Bright, ripe pineapple, orange, fresh lemon. Extremely fresh smelling beer.

Taste: A bit dry, bready to start and then the citrus hops just punch you in the face! So good. Crisp, clean, ripe fruit. Finish is a perfect balance between the malt and hops. Such a smooth, easy to drink beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin, light, airy. Perfect for Indian Summer, although I could easily drink this brew all summer long.

Overall: Such an incredible beer. Not what I expected for a "harvest" ale. Incredibly delicious, smooth brew. Founders doesn't make a beer I don't love, but this belongs up on the top shelf with CBS and KBS. Personally, I'd put it right next to Pliny, Hopslam and Zombie Dust.

Get it if you can.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

A - looks vaguely reminiscent of Bert grants harvest ale... God bless.

S - wow... Heavenly. Hops on the olfactory.

T - this could quite possibly be the best beer I have ever had. Ridiculous.

O - I would buy this year round if I could 1 case a month for life. Fantastic.

I've had this beer before but, wow freshness certainly matters on this beer. Bottle says 9-22-11.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer pours a golden yellow color, with a thick, fluffy white head that fades very slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer smells of citrus hops. Very nice. Some floral hop aroma is present also, with a little grass.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Citrusy and grassy. Very good. Some floral flavor is present. It tastes great.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It leaves a grassy, citrus aftertaste. Carbonation is great.

This beer would make a great session beer. Low enough alcohol, and a great flavor.

Overall: Thanks to TheodorHerzl for this great beer. I like it a lot. It is probably the best Harvest Ale I have had this year.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

I liked this beer so much that I had to make it my first review

A- A nice light copper, with limited transparency

S - Before I even stuck my nose in the glass, I could smell the hops, which caught me off guard. In a good way.

T- Wow. Just wow. Great showcasing of the complexity of the hop here. The limited malt presence takes its proper place (in the back) lets the hops dominate. Pine dissolves to an incredible grapefruit aftertaste that last for a very long time after the last sip. Yeah, the are some malts there to give some balance, but who cares? If you're drinking this beer for malty flavor, you're probably better suited drinking something else.

M - Crisp feel, very carbonated, and dry finish makes me want to drink more.

D- I want more of these. 6.1% ABV? I could almost power hour with this. Almost. I polished mine off far too quickly. Why oh why did I only buy a single 12. oz bottle??

I think there is something to be said for a beer that stays within traditional concepts of what a beer is, but manages to be both unique, and incredible tasty. That is, this won't blow anyone's mind about what a beer can be (like a person trying their first DIPA), but it is still as enjoyable and complex as any "extreme" beer. Hence why I gave it such a high rating.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer pours an orange color with golden hues. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into decent lacing. This is a sharp looking beer. The aroma is as green as I've ever experienced. I think I can accurately describe it as smelling as if there are hop cones still submerged in the beer. And I'm actually surprised that there aren't. The malt bill is reminiscent of that of Founder's Centennial IPA, and Pale Ale, and that is alright by me. The taste is akin to the aroma. The leafy, grassy, hoppy character is very sharp, while the malt profile is nice and soft. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a great beer. If only someone could invent a hop that could be harvested year round so beers like this could be brewed year round. As is this will be one of my most looked forward to beers of the fall.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

A-Too much head....that is a problem in this instance...half the glass is beer...half foam...probably more foam...not good...(2.0 originally)..upgraded to 4.0 as the 2009 version is perfectly carbonated and looks wonderful with a bright peach appearance..

S-Great aroma of citrus fruits...grapefruits....mandarin oranges...tangerines...

T-It says this has 70 IBU's and I don't question that but this is a good example of a well hopped beer that is juicy and flavorful...really not much raw bitterness....just some great juicy citrus fruit flavors (same as in the aroma).toasted malts..

M-Not particularly big in body...but for an APA it is right on...would work body wise for an IPA too probably but not a DIPA...

D-Very enjoyable except for the way it poured(in 08)....love the use of hops in this one... (09 notes) ..tough to find an APA much better than this..

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a 4pack of this the other day after hearing some great reviews of this brew and I must say that I was highly impressed.

Appearance: A nice golden yellow with a thin white head.
Smell: Citrus, citrus, citrus...grapefruit and lemon dominate the nose giving off a beautiful scent.
Taste: Liquid hops and grapefruit. Absolutely delicious, strong citrus with the perfect bitterness, but doesn't overpower the palate. Finishes clean and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: smooth, and clean. slick on the tongue but doesn't linger too long after finished.

Overall this is another classic brew from Founder's. Very fresh and something I can easily and happily see myself enjoying over and over again.

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

When you look at this beer in the bottle, you will see a light haze. As you pour this ale, you can't help but smell the fresh hoppy aroma. Everything about this beer feels fresh. It is enjoyable on every level of the experience. It leaves a tail that makes you want more.

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a clear yellow gold color with a ½ inch foamy white that faded slowly and left great lacing and rings of foam on the glass and a ring of white foam on top of the brew; looks like a pilsner with an IPA head.

Smells very hoppy up front with a blast of floral hops and piney hops up front, followed by flowers, grapefruit, citrus hops, orange peel, mild grains, sweet malt and some light caramel; the floral hops and herbs dominate the aroma with such a fresh hop aroma that it smells like there's one floating in the glass. An excenllent aroma!

The taste is very similar to the odor, with a blast of hops up front with floral hops, piney hops and citrus hops, followed by grapefruit, orange peel, sweet malt, flowers, mild grains, caramel, herbs, grass, lemon zest, biscuit and a nice slightly bitter pucker in the finish. The hops control the flavor and while the malt sweetness attempts to balance this beer it's really all hops, citrus and floral herbs, with a slight hop spice mixed in with the malt sweetness. Overall the flavor is excellent.

Mouthfeel is oily and silky smooth, with very light carbonation, and a very light, crisp body that helps this go down easy.

High drinkability, as this is very tasty and the alcohol does not show at all. I could drink this anytime and all night, and highly recommend this beer.

NOTE: 2012 Harvest Ale tastes like grapefruit juice, with a crazy citrus flavor that is so tasty that these bottles are flowing down incredibly fast. The wet hops are really pungent and once again make for an excellent beer and drinking experience. I notched up the overall review category from 4.5 to 5 because it's so good.

2013 NOTE: Damn tasty again this year, with a nice mix of citrus and piney hops; this batch seems very smooth with mild carbonation and each one went down quite easy. Another great session beer, I'm glad I went through two 4 packs as it was outstanding.

Oct. 2015: Had another 4 pack and it was excellent as usual.

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

I've only had 2 fresh hopped beers (including this one) so I don't have a lot to go on but this harvest ale really hit it out of the park!

L - Golden yellow with nice lacing and a medium head
S - Pine and citrus
T - Orange and pine are very big on the mouth
F - Very smooth and silky with texture, has a good bitter kick but doesn't halt towards the back, it just glides down.

The last wet hopped ale I had was a so-so with me but this one captures everything I love about IPA but goes a notch higher feeling very fresh.

4.86/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 10/01/2015, poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass at about 45 degrees F. Straw colored with just a tinge of light orange in the most dense area of the glass. Two fingers of white head that dissipates to a film within 2-3 minutes. I smell a bit of pine, caramel sweetness, and orange peel. Very well balanced on the palette, with moderate, but appropriate carbonation. Kind of resinous feeling as it makes it's way down my throat, saturating my whole mouth with pine, orange, maybe a little apricot, and very slight caramel sweetness. Only a very minor alcohol presence, but I think that adds to the flavor profile because it's so well blended. Overall I think this is a fantastic wet hop IPA, and at 8.99 a 4 pack, I think it's definitely worth a try.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers from Founders. The wet hops are oily, juicy, citrusy, piney, delicious.

This is last year's batch and it has held up very well over these past three months. The wet hops are still very noticeable although a bit more subdued than the first bottle. I will pretty much be ISO this one every October. Superb

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Really great grapefruit aroma and taste. Some pine and grass mixed in there too. Pretty crisp, clean and has a slight hop bitterness as well. Not at all what I was expecting but much better! Glad I had the opportunity to crack one open; well done!

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A few 2009 4-packs.

Pour is what you would expect. Straw yellow. Clear with no haze. White head.

Smells are citrusy piney goodness. Some earthiness too. Getting excited here.

Taste: Juicy hops, earthy and fresh; wonderfully so. Raw and pungent, but not overwhelming or biting, just sitting there comfortably. I would also use crisp, bright, quenching as descriptors. I was not expecting this level of greatness.

Very easy drinking. ABV in a good range if you want to drink a few and still function.
After one, I want another, and another.
Really a pleasure to drink this, very refreshing.

I will be stocking up on this beer every fall from now on. Makes me want to move to Grand Rapids, MI, so I can have this as fresh as possible whenever released.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I got this brew from tburkhart, Thanks Tim!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - cloudy yellow color with a big fluffy white head that didn't quit despite leaving sheets of lacing behind.

S - a citrus hop blast to the nose.

T - incredibly balanced considering the aroma, the citrus hop taste hits hard upfront followed by enough malt to somehow balance it out before it gets too bitter, a terrific tasting brew!

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - extremely tasty and extremely easy to drink.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a copper color with a rich white head that slowly fades into creamy rings of lace.

Fresh cut grass, floral bouquests of honeysuckle, orange blossoms and clover, pine, and citrus; grapefruit, lemon, and orange.

Nice bready backbone of toast and caramel with nicely balanced notes of grapefruit, fresh flowers and grass. Delicious.

Smooth, crisp, refreshing, medium body

Very nice balance and flavors.

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company