Founders Harvest Ale | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by granger10 on 10-24-2004

Ratings: 4,445 |  Reviews: 1,100

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -22.6%

Foggy, orange brew. White cloudy fluffy head. Lacing is on the rim only.

Crisp, yet unrefined aroma. Soapy, musty, and apricot.

Very wet, moist, crisp, bitter yet sweet. It hits the tongue in a odd way.. It doesn't finish clean or crisp. Very average flavors; nothing amazing or earth moving.

Very dry from the hops and doesn't excite too much. I'll take an Odell.

3.27/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

Deep orange in body with white bubbly head that stays on top. Aroma of oranges and cream, grass, pineapple, and pine. Flavors of big citrus, grass, pine, mint, and a whitewash of booze with sour rind aftertaste. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The booze is a bit much and holds the beer back.

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

This is a very average beer coming out of Founders Brewery. I have generally found this brewery to be of excellent quality.

This is a so-so seasonal brew. I wouldn't go out of my way or trade for it, but it's not bad. There are a few other Octoberfest style beers that I like better this year (Weyerbacher, Victory).

3.36/5  rDev -20.2%

3.36/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I look forward to getting my hands on this beer every year. Unfortunately, this really doesn't live up to the greatness of past years. It truly deserved the hype. The fresh hop presence is subdued this time around. It's pleasant, but this is a very expensive beer in my parts. I'd take the far less costly fresh hop SN Celebration this year (it's excellent) over Founders even if Founders were the same price! Disappointed.

3.37/5  rDev -20%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

I was really excited to see this come into my store. I had received plenty of calls, "you guys got founders harvest in yet!?" So I was looking forward to taking my pick first... Had it out of the bottle, was way danker than I had expected, had a bitterness that was just not super enjoyable, and being a hop head, I was ready for the licking a wet pine cone taste... Just not super dope like I was hoping. But it was overall a decent harvest ale just was anticipating more. Especially from founders.

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

On-tap at the Distillery in Savannah, GA on 12/11/10

A - Clear gold with a fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing and good retention.
S - Crisp grapefruit and pine resin dominate with a minimal malt backbone. Very herbal and fresh.
T - Very resinous with heaps of pineapple and grapefruit. Pretty good, but it's not my favorite hop profile in the world. The pine resin gets to be a bit much for me, as does the sweetness.
M - Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Smooth and just a bit sticky.
D - I had no problem drinking the one I ordered, but I wouldn't order another one. I'm glad I tried it, as I enjoy most Founders brews, but if I want a good fresh-hopped beer, I'll look for a Celebration.

3.42/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Founders Harvest Ale
Fresh hop ale (APA - AIPA in my opinion)
6.5% ABV, 70 IBUs

Must have been bottled a couple weeks ago but the date in unintelligible like most date stamps on Founders beers. Fail. Poured into a generic pint glass.

Much lighter colored than other pale ales, the color of Harvest is somewhere between a pilsner and the usual pale: true amber color with a rather small but dense and creamy head. The head retention is fine; minimal lacing.

Tropical fruit and mowed lawn in aroma, this one is late hopped and dry hopped. I suppose this hop profile is getting too pedestrian though and I really don't see the appeal of "wet" hopping. Fairly similar to your typical west coast pale/IPA I say.

Taste is nice... restrained malts with plenty of hop flavor and bitterness. Drinks way thinner than an average pale ale but I am content. Reaffirms by belief in Upper Midwestern pale ales. Daisy Cutter, Zombie Dust, and now this. The bitterness, although not over the top, is certainly assertive and lingering and the finish is dry. A fine beer but too bad it cannot be sessioned. My yardstick might be biased but this is my opinion... if Town Hall can cram a boatload of hops in a 4-5% ABV beer, why not others?

3.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Pours an effervescent, deep yellow body with a lush, foamy (and lasting) white head.

Smell: Soapy, citric-smelling hop aroma with notes of tropical citrus fruits.

Taste: You don't get more than a pinch of malts before the hops kick in with tropical fruity flavors and bittersweet ruby red grapefruit juice. Moderate bitterness with a citric sting that lasts into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A decent beer, just notr my favorite of the harvest ales.

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company