Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by granger10 on 10-24-2004

#754

Ratings: 4,487 |  Reviews: 1,115

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

Foggy, orange brew. White cloudy fluffy head. Lacing is on the rim only.

Crisp, yet unrefined aroma. Soapy, musty, and apricot.

Very wet, moist, crisp, bitter yet sweet. It hits the tongue in a odd way.. It doesn't finish clean or crisp. Very average flavors; nothing amazing or earth moving.

Very dry from the hops and doesn't excite too much. I'll take an Odell.

3.27/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -21.6%

Deep orange in body with white bubbly head that stays on top. Aroma of oranges and cream, grass, pineapple, and pine. Flavors of big citrus, grass, pine, mint, and a whitewash of booze with sour rind aftertaste. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The booze is a bit much and holds the beer back.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

This is a very average beer coming out of Founders Brewery. I have generally found this brewery to be of excellent quality.

This is a so-so seasonal brew. I wouldn't go out of my way or trade for it, but it's not bad. There are a few other Octoberfest style beers that I like better this year (Weyerbacher, Victory).

3.36/5  rDev -20.9%

3.36/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I look forward to getting my hands on this beer every year. Unfortunately, this really doesn't live up to the greatness of past years. It truly deserved the hype. The fresh hop presence is subdued this time around. It's pleasant, but this is a very expensive beer in my parts. I'd take the far less costly fresh hop SN Celebration this year (it's excellent) over Founders even if Founders were the same price! Disappointed.

3.37/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

I was really excited to see this come into my store. I had received plenty of calls, "you guys got founders harvest in yet!?" So I was looking forward to taking my pick first... Had it out of the bottle, was way danker than I had expected, had a bitterness that was just not super enjoyable, and being a hop head, I was ready for the licking a wet pine cone taste... Just not super dope like I was hoping. But it was overall a decent harvest ale just was anticipating more. Especially from founders.

3.4/5  rDev -20%

3.4/5  rDev -20%

3.41/5  rDev -19.8%

On-tap at the Distillery in Savannah, GA on 12/11/10

A - Clear gold with a fluffy white head. Nice sticky lacing and good retention.
S - Crisp grapefruit and pine resin dominate with a minimal malt backbone. Very herbal and fresh.
T - Very resinous with heaps of pineapple and grapefruit. Pretty good, but it's not my favorite hop profile in the world. The pine resin gets to be a bit much for me, as does the sweetness.
M - Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Smooth and just a bit sticky.
D - I had no problem drinking the one I ordered, but I wouldn't order another one. I'm glad I tried it, as I enjoy most Founders brews, but if I want a good fresh-hopped beer, I'll look for a Celebration.

3.42/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company