Founders Harvest Ale | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by granger10 on 10-24-2004

Ratings: 4,444 |  Reviews: 1,100

3.89/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a medium golden color with a decent white head that dissipates rather quickly. I can smell the citrus and pine as soon as I pop the top off of this one. Resinous, dank, grapefruit, and apricot aromas atop a sweet sugary base waft into my olfactory system. The flavor is a hint of bready and caramel malt up front before the palette is filled with hoppy goodness. Pine and resinous topped citrus and tropical fruit flavors tip the flavor balance well onto the hop side. Light to moderate hop bitterness. Medium body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet resinous mouthfeel. I felt this was a touch on the sweet side, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Appears a bright golden copper slight hazed hue with a light white head forming thick atop the glowing orange body. Lacing is fine and even down the sides of my chalice.

Aroma has a solid vegetable affair going on with green onion and fresh resinous citric hops, a semi sweet lightly toasted cracker malt profile not much sweetness going on.

Flavor is more of the same with the green onion flavor hitting pretty hard on the palate. A resinous semi sugary sweetness wrapped with green onion and a mild garlic flavor hit hard. I can't see drinking this one in number, that vegetable hop freshness found here is much different than other fresh hopped ales out on the market.

Mouthfeel is oily with hop resins a bit hot with a mild alcohol burn, this beer really isn't really my idea of fresh hopped ale. A sweet sugar malt base with that green onion tone throws the party off carbonation was mild and smooth, but overall the finish from the onion stays on your breathe.

Drinkability overall is pretty weak, not worth the 5.99 I paid for at Fathead's this past weekend but I've been wanting to try it. I don't think I could drink a four pack of this stuff.

Update for 2011 exponentially better than the last batch...this beer was drank at the Sharp Edge for around 7 bucks a bottle and suprisingly totally worth every penny.

Pours a super pale golden hazed color with a bright white head forming thick, I was shocked at how light this beer poured. The nose was full of pungent fresh wet hops esepcially citrus/herbal/grassy tones, of course there is a light pale biscuit malt feature addeded in the nose as well. Pretty damn good bitterness balanced with enough pale biscuit malts just to take the edge of it, but as a whole it's a dank super hoppy harvest ale from our friends at Founders...damn I'm going to get some 12.99 4 packs at Giant Eagle this coming week a damn tasty fine beer that should be drank in number meant to be enjoyed with friends. I was buying this for a friend not familiar with the hops and he kept calling it the "weed" beer, by the way he was loving it. Mouthfeel was bitter dry clean finish, with ample carbonation and the drinkability factor was inasane for something so hoppy. I could have drank this one all night as my only Harvest Ale at the Sharp Edge where two different Founders beers were flowing on tap. I had two pints of Founders Centennial but I really liked the Harvest ale.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear light yellow color with less than a finger of white head. Fair retension and spotty lacing on the glass. Wow the nose is a large amount of herbal hops. Also picking up on some grass and citrus notes followed a bit by pine in the aroma as well. Nose is all about the hops, and rightfully so. Taste is a very pleasant balance of hop bitterness upfront tasting like grass and herbs, light malt sweetness throughout the body and alcohol warmth in the finish. Moderate to high amount of carb and body that is light. This is really one tasty pale and very drinkable.

I think I just found my new favorite pale ale.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a quite foggy orange gold with a thinner light creme head. Nose is pungent pine and salty hops. Flavor is quite salty and intense. Not precisely the "wet-hopped" characters I would expect, but really: how wet can the hops be upon delivery to Michigan? Not hatin', just sayin'. On the powerfully salty hops with minor pine tones there seems like some obliterated lemon tang as well. Feel is smooth and slightly thick on liquid and the carbonation is middle of the road. This is super hoppy and I can dig it. But the label says "wet-hopped ale" and I would have never guessed so in a blind taste test.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Bottled September ninth 2011.

A two finger head off the pour and tight Styrofoam appearance. Body is a brassy fourteen carat gold and polished glowing hues. Some occasional rising carbonation. Real nice body color.

Ah fresh chewy hop love on the nose. Citrus and green grass dense and airy, faint sense of sweet pine needles. Smells great.

Taste is chewy hop bent and minor lemon like malt. Finish is a bitter tolerable dense pine and some lemon/one citrus. Very tolerable, malt sweetness comes into play after many sips. Texture is real solid nothing mind blowing though.

Overall a great fresh hop ale either on tap or out of the bottle. More lemon and pine than orange it seems it out of the bottle.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

12 ounce bottle, w/o freshness info that I can find.

Medium dull golden amber. Loose quality looking head, with better then respectable amounts of nice, fine lace.

Fresh hop nose, with resins, and citrusl

Solid pale with the familiar Founders density and crunch.

Spicy, citric, smokey lime, and quite a bit of smokey bitternness.

Quality all the way

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours hazed/clouded golden with a thick fluffy white head that descends to a lasting cover. Some patches of lacing stick.

The smell is citric - esp. lemon - and floral.

The taste is floral and lemony, so lemony that there is a tartness to it. Some grapefruit is there, too, though with just a touch of bitterness. A grainy/caramelish sweetness lies underneath. Alcohol is slightly noticeable.

The body is light-to-medium with airy carbonation. The airy could even be considered almost fizzy. I'm thinking that this one was overcarbonated. Possibly a production issue - possibly the way it was meant to be. Not dissatisfied, but not too thrilled with the feel on this one.

A lemony citric brew with a firm malt backbone. Not bad at all - though the feel puts a bit of a dent in the drinkability for me.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Into a Duvel tulip...because it was clean.

Hazy and orange, sizeable off-white head.

Huge citrus=y aromatics, plenty of grapefruit in this...pure, unadorned, raw and up-in-your-face hops, hops, hops, hops...I like it!

Bigger blast on the tongue, fierce and fresh, juicy, and just bitter enough, but never quite too much. Hop flavor remains on the palate seemingly forever. I like that, too.

Crisp and refeshing, hop head-style. My kind of session beer, even at 7%. I could drink a case of you and still be on my feet.

Full body, full flavor, slightly out of balance, but that's what the style is, and that's what I desire. Wish I had more of this!

Much thanks to the pimpp!

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company