Founders Harvest Ale | Founders Brewing Company

Added by granger10 on 10-24-2004

Reviews: 1,091 | Ratings: 4,392
4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottled 9/22/2011
This bottle pours a nice and golden pale color. It has an amazing pungent aroma right up front, grassy and full of pine and resin. It really almost seems to remind me of a wild yeasty and wheaty kinda of IPA. I will say that this is an amazing brew; i think founders did an amazing an here. I get the resinous of the hops and the overall freshness of the brew. The mouthfeel is great, a little heavy up front but goes down smooth making this an amazingly sessional beer. One thing i will say.. if this brew was made with another 3-4% alcohol content and made to an DIPA i would have so much more respect for this mammoth of a flavorful brew. I mean it has the feel and taste of a DIPA but i just feel like it would pack a bit more punch if an alcohol finish made the last impression.

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Unquestionably, this is one of my favorite (single and sessionable) IPA's on the market...Lagunitas Daytime and Stone IPA are my secondary and tertiary choices...

A- Pours a beautiful, crystal clear golden (obviously filtered) with about a single-finger worth or fluffy white head.

S- Aroma for days! Huge floral notes along with tropical citrus...flowers, grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple and peach all come to mind...amazing!

T- Considerable malt backbone is detected before the onslaught of a huge wave of citrus-rind bitterness...not overly astringent, but unmistakably an West Coast American IPA...absolutely brilliant!

M- Moderate carbonation does the trick as the hop oils simply coat the tongue and get you ready for the next sip.

O- This, Double Trouble and KBS are my top three brews that Founders offers...unfortunately all three are limited releases forcing me hunt and ration for these exceptional brews. Wow...only if one of these were year-round offerings. Founders never disappoints.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12oz bottle into tulip glass, few finger white, creamy head that settled nicely and left some good lacing. Color is golden yellow

Aroma is outstanding - it's almost like I'm smelling a real hop in my hand. dank resinous aroma that I love! Some grapefruit in there too

Taste follows up on the aroma, lots of resinous hop flavor , slightly bitter finish

Mouthfeel - nice carbonation, meduium body, sticky mouthfeel

Overall - I thoroughly enjoy this beer, one of my top IPAs. I wish they could Harvest fresh hops all year long! I was lucky enough to score the last 4 pack in a local liquor store.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Having found a new favorite micro, I am smitten. Everything I try from this brewery is simply delicious. this beer represents fall 09 for me. Piney, earty, great aroma of old growth forests, a beer that I want to curl up to the campfire with.
Poured into a tumbler pint, great color, and head retention and aroma to die for. Taste again of pine woods and citrus spioe. Very well balanced with and excelent finish. so easy on the palate. A lingering rememberence like the season, of of the best of its class, my harvest for 2009. Cheers to Founders!

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Perfect blend of wet hops. Excellent aromas. I have had this one sitting for a few months and it is just as good as when fresh. Love the light mouth feel on this. Nice bite of wet hops with a wonderful aftertaste. You know what I'm talking about. When you rub your tongue over the roof of your mouth because you want more of that flavor!

I like it because it's a nice change of pace from the typical "pale ale" I get in Georgia.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a pretty clear amber/orange, with a finger of off-white head. Good lacing even though the head mostly dissolves.

Smells of grapefruit/citrus, pineapple, and a wet fresh pine cones from the hops, also as fresh wet hop beers go it also smells a but like marijuana but more crisp.

Tastes exactly like it smells with a bigger punch, more tropical fruits present, and the bitterness of the hops is wonderfully balanced. It's got a slight sweetness to it through the bitterness that makes it perfect.

Feels thinner than I expected, not as resiny or syrupy as an Imperial IPA, but it's actually more drinkable because of this fact. Nice carbonation, but not overpowering which is good. It allows you to taste the beer and doesnt just bite your tongue.

I will definitely be buying this one again. Great beer overall.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've drank many, many craft brews but this is my first time reviewing one. Finding a new favorite beer gives me the same feeling as finding a great new golf course. Without diving into a bunch of minute specifics and details the overall big picture is that Founders Harvest Ale is a great beer. And after drinking it I felt like I just had a great experience. Very fresh tasting. Unique. Everything I want in a beer is present and nothing is overdone.
I have been frustrated frequently by not being able to find certain beers, so after initially buying a 4-pack I went back to the store and bought their remaining three 4-packs.
Thank you Founders. Keep up the good work!

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

12oz bottled Sept 29, 2010, enjoying this one less than two weeks old...very excited to crack this bad boy open!

Pours golden with a hint of amber and noticeable bits of haze, two finger white head that leaves a ring of drippy lacing and holds a light cap.

Aroma is all sorts of citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, some pineapple, a touch of tropical fruits, not much malt, pretty much all hops. Good strength.

As impressive as the aroma is, the flavor is even better and is a punch to the mouth of super-fresh juicy hops, just amazing. There is a touch of malt to attempt to balance, moderate bitterness...real smooth drinker. Finishes nice and dry.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Wow, fantastic, amazing, incredible. Lovin' the wet hopped stuff coming out this time of year and having a super-fresh bottle makes it all the better. Founders continues to impress.

I see this is listed as an APA here...thought it was an IPA...either way it is phenomenal for whichever category.

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle into pint glass

Appearance- Clear pale color, not quite golden. Mild head, that lasts but very thin

Smell-Wow a very clear and potent hop profile hits you. Citris and pine up front, you can tell there is a variety in hops used. Smells like a DIPA for sure.

Taste- Great hop flavor, malt is somewhat mild, doesn't have that body that a simliar IPA would have and the bitterness is pulled back but still a great hop pressence.

Mouthfeel-A little weak, more a session beer. Boarding on watery.

Drinkability- Like I said, a session beer for a hop head, great drinkability, and full range of hop flavors to boot.

Would drink again, but it's too bad it's a seasonal. Would not be bad at all to drink on a fall day after some time outside playing football.

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a ST 2xIPA glass. Bottle dated 9/22/11. Been looking forward to try this one for awhile.

Pours a hazy orange with a small white head. Leaves a great lace along the sides of the glass. This one smells amazing. Smells like beautiful, citrusy hops. Nothing else. Just hops, just the way I like it. Taste is has a strong bitterness from the hops, with a light malty backbone. Also tropical notes come out as the beer warms up a bit. This has an extremely crisp finish and is a very, very easy drinker. Overall a great offering from Founders. At 6.5% ABV this one is a very sessionable beer. I wouldn't have a problem drinking two 4 packs in a setting.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Fresh herbal nose with a hint of melon. On tap pours brilliant gold with a ½” white foam cap. Very creamy palate with melon leading to a drying hop finish with a touch of astringency. Medium body and fine soft carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A very light yellow appearance, great carbonation, doesn't lend itself to a lot of lacing. Great aroma, tons of what I would guess are Amarillos, maybe even some nelsons (not really) its so funky. Amarillo and simcoe.

Amazing hop mouthfeel, a great balance and depth to the bitterness, really allows the hops to standout. I drank this Christmas week, so I'm guessing this beer is a minimum of 2 months old, more likely, about 3. Sturdy, doesn't get bogged down with a little bit of age on it, very nice. Big on the citrusness, might not be any caramel malt to this, very light body but still excellent pairing of hops to a restrained bitterness.

For having 70 ibus, this is so smooth. A must try for any self professed hop head.

EDIT: Have had fresher bottles, this is amazing stuff, easily the most underrated beer in the Founder's portfolio.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Hop perfection in a glass. It smacks your tongue, and you're all like - "Whoa!", and then, it mellows out, and you're like "Ahh" .. and then you have another, by the time you look up, you realize you've gone through the whole 4-pack in a little over an hour.

~alwayshoppy!~

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer is a real treat, with an incredibly hop forward rush of flavors. I can smell a lot of tropical fruit on the nose. It has a soapy bubbly mouthfeel. I find that the finish lingers for some time, with a simultaneous presence of toasted malt and bitter reminiscence of the dank wet hop flavor. This beer has a cloudy, colloidal golden wheat color.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Nice present from the Mrs.... pours golden, smells of deep dank hops, medium carbonation. Its very hard to describe hop flavor but this had a floral multipart pallate with a great lingering flavor, strong lingering sweetness.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottled on 10/4/12 and poured into a snifter on 12/16/12, brew pours a clear and pale washed out yellow gold under a white head. An alluring nectar sweet hop forward aroma gently lifts into the nose with hints of lemon rind and pine. Lush hops glide through in the mouth feel with nonabrasive but dominating bitterness. Smooth flowing, incredibly well balanced IPA packed with all that hop goodness. An instant classic in my book. Can't help but think how great this would go with spicy Tex-Mex fajita tacos...

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a nice golden hazy color with a small head that dissapates quickly.

The smell of this beer is great, earthy grass notes with floral hop aromas.

Great tasting APA, maybe the best out there. Tons of fresh hop flavor. Floral hop taste with hop flavor that lingers on the tongue forever. This beer is actually hoppier than many DIPAs. Some malt present in there but make no mistake this beer is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a medium body and crisp finish, very nice.

Very drinkable beer, almost too drinkable.

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

12 ounce bottle dated 9/22/11, so about 6 weeks old , and tastes amazing!

A: Golden orange, small head, little retention, filtered, doesn't look too impressive.

S: Citrus bomb, smells similar to their excellent Double Trouble, freshly squeezed tangerine juice, grape skin, murky sweet malt hints. Fantastic!

T: Sweet and bitter, tropical candy fruits, tastes absolutely sublime. This is EXACTLY the type of IPA I like. I would drink this all day. Tastes much like Dreadnaught but lighter.

M: Puckering bitterness, but well rounded, not TOO extreme. Very zingy but understated carbonation. Awesome.

This is an exceptional beer. The sweetness at the close is poetic. The bitterness subtle yet extremely dry. I can't say enough about this IPA. Buy it at all costs and soon!

4.74/5  rDev +12.6%

I've had this beer on tap and from the bottle. Love this beer. Has a great golden color with great lacing. Unreal smell with deep grapefruits, and in your face citrus. Taste also has really deep grapefruit, almost bitter. I just keep licking my lips after I take a sip. Overall, I just really enjoy this beer. I'm not the type of person to try and decipher every little flavor in a beer. I just know I enjoy this beer and can keep drinking it...plus it leaves a smile on my palate. Great beer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden color with a small amount of white head that laces the glass. The smell is pine and citrus, maybe grapefruit. It has a medium mouth feel with a light carbonation. The hops are what hit you first with a sweet bitterness followed by a solid malt before it finishes with citrus. An amazing beer I wait for every year!

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

For me, even beyond FBS and KBS, this is Founders' crowning achievement. A basically perfect single IPA.

On tap at Acme Bar and Pizza in Rochester, NY. $8 bucks for a pitcher of Harvest Ale? Yes plz.

Pours a dark orange into this Labatt Blue pitcher. Even in the pitcher, it forms a decent head of about 3 inches. Pretty bubbly, looks well-carbonated.

Smells incredible. Citrus abounds, with some spicy pine in the background.

Similar flavors. To expand, the fruits I taste are grapefuits, oranges and pineapples. The harvest wet-hops give the beer a supreme dankness however- like I scooped the beer off of the forest floor. Now that might sound like a bad thing, and it might be to some people, but for me, it's dynamite. Spicy, raw, and earthy hop flavors on the back end of this- grass, pine needles, cannabis, with a extremely bitter finish that carries over to the fruit forward front end on the next sip, making a perfect combination of flavors for my happy mouth.

Pretty dry mouthfeel, medium carbonation, medium body.

A masterpiece. What a single IPA should be.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours out really yellow clear with two fingers of white suds and some lacing on the glass.
Smell is really good. Pine trees and evergreen plants circle the nose and attach to the brain.
Taste is hard to describe. I get a bitter black flavor then a piney sweet malt then just a sweet mellow malty APA flavor.
Mouthfeel is so great with layers of flavors to sift through. Bubbly on the tip of the tounge followed by mellow sweetness.
Drinkability would be so darn High if I could get my hands on 50 cases of this stuff!

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of white head with good retention. Crystal clear straw gold liquid. Very good looking.
S: Dank grapefruit rind and cannabis with Man Candy tropical fruit in the obscured center. Nice maltiness to it.
T: Nice strong bitterness which lets the malt show through nevertheless. Very strongly wet hopped pale. A tad perfumey, but not a negative. Pine and slight ethanol in final swallow. The best pale ale I've tasted from Founders yet and maybe the best period (not sure whether I'd say KBS is better).
M: Bitter and a little puckering. Dry
D: Very high. Gimme another and 1 more 4 pack.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Picked up late in the game as it came & went quickly in these here parts. Bottled 9/22/11.

Poured into my curvy Captain Lawrence glass, purty brew, clear yellow/orange, or maybe it's just the tulip. Lovely head, for what that's worth (nothing). Great smell, bitter, grapefruit, mint leaves.

Founder Harvest Ale is a credit to its style. Bitterness reaches out of the glass with a big mitt & seizes the lips & palate, schlaps them around, & pummels the taste buds into whining submission. Damn. In after the bitter is a hornful of hops flavors, grapefruit, pine, citrus, slight floral & mintiness. Malts? We don't need no stinkin' malts. And there aren't any to be seen or tasted. Finish is very clean, with an additional grassiness to tie everything up in a nice hoppy bow. Drinkable as water after a marathon, that's about the only parallel I can think of.

I wish I'd picked up more than the couple of bottles I did, now. So clean, so easy to shotgun, this is a heady salute & the best wet-hop beer I've had to date. An elite IPA. Boody hell.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle 10/4/2012, consumed on 11/3/2012

Purchased from Halftime

A: Hazy orange with 2 finger head. Lots of lacing.

S: Grapefruit, orange, sweet malt, passion fruit, pineapple very nice.

T: WOW. It's simply awesome. I think this is the best IPA from Founders by a large margin. I am not sure if this beer would have been slightly less malty if it were fresher, but sweet malt was definitely detected. Pineapple, passion fruit, orange, mango. Not very bitter. Although I keep mentioning that I detect sweetness, it's not an overly sweet beer.

M: Low to medium carbonation.

O: WOW again. This beer really surprised me. This kind of reminds me of Zombie Dust (sweeter ZD, I would say). Very well balanced as well. highly recommended.

Founders Harvest Ale from Founders Brewing Company