Founders Frangelic Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by Mitchster on 01-30-2005

4.2

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

appearance- I don't believe it was nitro but the light brown head lasted all the way to the end with lacing all the way. rich dark color.

smell- phenomenal. right away you get a great coffee smell with a darker...caramel molasses smell. mild hop aroma but still present. no boozy smell.

taste- smooth, creamy, hazelnut coffee with out the bad bitter aftertaste. dark, molasses and hops.

mouthfeel- smooth but not flat. crisp and effervescent.

drinkability- I look forward to frangelic every year. I would love this in a bomber because at 4.2% I could have one all to myself.

had this on nitro-tap last year and it was frangelic +10

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

On tap at the brewery -- December 29, 2010.

Pours a hazy dark brown color with a really hefty nitro-derived head with some really amazing retention time and quite a bit of lacing as it goes down. On the initial whiff of this I was already upset that it was on nitro and I wouldn't be able to grab a growler. Strong notes of coffee and hazelnut. Wow. A bit of chocolate and roast there as well. Can't get enough of the coffee and hazelnut, which headed straight into the taste, though that was a bit more roasty and similar to the base beer without the sweetness of the nose. The mouthfeel was really nice and smooth. Drinkability is through the roof. Hands down the best oatmeal stout I've ever had.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

I choose this as my complementary pint at the Black Party.

Sizable thick, marshmallow-like mocha head which doesn't go anywhere while you drink. Really just gorgeous looking. The liquid is black with brown highlights when held up to the light.

Smells delicious! Hazelnut and coffee. The taste echoes the smell, but with subtle hints of tart cherries hovering in the background. The mouthfeel is thick yet very smooth. Quite quaffable.

My relationship with this brew is kind of funny. I first tried it when I had only been drinking good beer for about a month (and consequently knew absolutely nothing about it). I hated Frangelic Stout. This beer is the reason I decided that I "hated stouts"... a year and a half (and a lot of research) later, this is by far my favorite stout. Until after I tried a bunch of other stouts could I recognize the true genius of this beer. This brew is very flavorful, without being forceful. It's just a nice, easy to enjoy brew. I love the hazelnut flavor now! Anyway, just another lesson in how much a person can learn if they apply themselves. This kind of story is why I didn't start writing reviews until I felt I had enough experience, and a developed-enough palate to do a decent job at it. Well, anyway, thank you again, Founders! I owe so much of my beer education to you!

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had at Founders on Nitro Tap- served in a pint glass

Appearance- Rich black pour with a huge tan nitro head that lasted the whole was. Great lacing.

Aroma- Roasted coffee, hazelnut (the work of the frangellico I assume), a touch of malt sweetness.

Taste- Coffee, Hazelnut, Chocolate, hint of vanilla. A slight roasty character as it warms up.

Mouth- It is a bit thin and I usually am not a fan of nitro taps on stouts but the planets must have aligned today or mercury was in retrograde because for some reason I liked the overall mouth on this beer.

Drink- Very easy to drink (again a little thin) I could just drink 4 pints back to back and have a lovely afternoon.

Personally I think it is a mistake to compare this 4.2% beer to FBS or KBS. It isn't meant to be like them and while it might be a touch thin it is a highly sessionable oatmeal stout with some great and unique flavors. Just my 2 cents.

Founders Frangelic Stout from Founders Brewing Company