Founders Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by mjohn27603 on 01-13-2003

Ratings: 7,870 |  Reviews: 1,902
2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

2.68/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This one had a barrel aged taste, had a hangover the next day

2.7/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Black as motor oil, and pours like it too. Seems quite thick. Messed up the pour a bit so there wasn't much of a head. Though what is there is creamy and brown. A quick swirl churns up a bit of a creamy head which lingers a while. Leaves some bubbles on the glass but not any lacing.

S: I'm still training my nose...i find the strongest note to be of bitter chocolate with some small amount of coffee coming through. Smells of alcohol. Aroma doesn't overwhelm me. As it warms the chocolate notes seem to come out a bit.

T:Roasted malts are there as the first note. The other thing i notice is ALCOHOL. the 10% hits me right in the face. There when you swallow too. There is a sweetness that you get in the front that gives way to a hoppy finish that intensifies a moment after you swallow which combined with the alcohol bite is borderline aggressive. As it warms the chocolate and sweetness come out a bit more at the beginning. Let it warm further and the bite isn't quite as harsh.

M: Definitely coats your mouth. Pretty thick beer.

D: I'm nearly having to fight this one down, though not quite. Certainly couldn't drink more than one of these. It's pretty intense.

Overall i think i may just not be ready for a beer like this. This was pretty aggressive on the palate. I'm fairly new into the craft beer scene (been about a year or so now) and am still trying to learn to critique my beers more analytically. I've never been super fond of stouts....but this one seems a bit much. Perhaps it's simply be ahead of my league given its high praise on BA.

2.76/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not bad. Interesting malt notes, but doesn't quite elevate.

2.76/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a Guinness glass. serving temp is fairly warm. left outta my fridge for a couple hours.

A: looks appealing but no head to speak of which is to be expected in this 10.5ABV monster.

S: very boozy and slightly sour.. do I have a bad bottle?

T: sour and boozy again upfront but nice chocolate and malt mid sip. then sourness returns. damn I think it might be bad... :(

M: nice thick and moderately carbonated.

D: well since this is so sour gonna have to dock some points here..

Not sure if this is a bad bottle, but I'll edit my post if I revisit this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -33.6%

Pours pitch black. The head is the color of coffee with cream and it quickly settles down to a thin collar around the beer. Very little lacing and retention

The aromas include coffee, chocolate, ethanol, maybe some licorice, and smoke

Initially, I taste mostly coffee up front. Then I get chocolate, roasted malts, smoke, and alcohol. You can really taste the roasted grains. There is a pretty big burnt/char character in this beer. The finish consists of lots of roasted malt. Its dry and bitter.

This is a viscous, thick, and chewy beer. Pretty creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation

The drinkability is below average in my opinion. Its just too bitter, burnt, and dry for me. The alcohol kick at the end of each sip doesnt help either. After a few ounces, I know what this beer is about and dont feel the need to drink anymore

2.88/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I am sure it is an excellent stout, but the high bitterness turned me off some.

2.91/5  rDev -32.9%

2.97/5  rDev -31.6%

I was really let down by this brew. All hyped up and took me nowhere. Poured out to a pitch black color with only notes of a head. Nearly no carbonation at all, not to mention that any lace was a long shot. Aromas of coffee, chocolate and dark rotted fruit. Nothing amazing so far. Flavor was abrasive and acidic, with strong indications of alcohol and burnt malts. Mouthfeel was good and thick, but wasn't enough to save this beer from being a disappointment. I'd probably pass on this if offered again. I may re-review again, but as for now, this brew was a course in undesireable beerdom. Pass on it.

Founders Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company