Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Imperial Stout | Founders Brewing Company

#310

Ratings: 7,888 |  Reviews: 1,905

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2 Complaints - Only served in 12 ounce glass. Availability. Founders has yet to disappoint me. With ABV this high one might expect this might not be smooth, aou contraire (probably spelled wrong) Yummy and very drinkable! Car service should be included with purchase of 3 or more.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

Well this is it [insert a Huey Lewis and The News "doo-wap"] Founders Imperial Stout (or FIS for short) finally on the drinking block or chopping block however you view my reviews. I wanted to buy some more Founders Breakfast Stout at Plonk! However it has now become so popular I had to put my name on a list of people who want to buy the next shipment. I blame myself. My review for FBS declared it "the best Stout ever". Now everyone in Australia wants it. Oh well, I have some FIS now to console me.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: "I've never before seen head this brown" I thought to myself, which could of course be misconstrued in a variety of ways. With a jet black, impenetrable murky body and a chocolate brown head that soon reduces to a faint ring around the glass this is one damn imposing Ale. An Everest of Ale in fact.

S: Whereas FBS was all about espresso coffee, FIS is all about dark chocolate. In fact it draws a favourable comparison to Amager & Cigar City's Xiquic: A mighty powerhouse of dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted cacao (minus the tobacco leaf). Every breath you take [every move you make?] gives another hint of the chocolate that awaits.

T: Smoke notes precede a dark chocolate, vanilla, earth and roasted cacao feast. There is a slight unwarranted metal twang as well, most unusual for Founders to have made a rookie mistake like that. Finishes with a dark herbal bitter character. This is a mammoth Ale that hides the booze like the always-tipsy-when-you-visit-her grandmother - and at 10.5% I've got to know how they've done it.

M: That classic heavy "founders body" rich with some creamy carbonation. These guys must use oats in all their brews. Damn I have big respect for that (using oats in the mash is quite a laborious task).

D: Not quite as good as the Xiquic I must say up front... it is a very close contest though, and this is a well-crafted antithesis to Founders Breakfast Stout (coffee vs chocolate) - they really know how to cover their bases Founders - not a single brew I've tried of theirs tastes like any other. They really put care into the way they brew and for that there can be no higher praise.

Food match: Founders Breakfast Stout, cigars and foul language.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into imperial pint glass. *bottled 12/13/13*

A: Is this motor oil? Can someone hook me up with a number to Founders' customer service? I think I've mistakenly purchased a 12 ounce bottle of motor oil. In all seriousness, this brew is abysmally dark. Diabolically mean looking in the glass. Starts out looking much like a nitro tap pour, with a gargantuan peanut butter fudge colored head that fills the glass before taking calendar months to manifest into this abyss black sludge-like liquid. No color. No highlights. After nearly 15 minutes of waiting for the liquid to manifest and the head to settle, my entire imperial pint glass is painted in burnt caramel lacing. 1/4 inch head is dense and of a milkshake like thickness. Is it possible to score these aesthetics higher than a 5?

S: An almost absurd amount of barley that's roasted to utter blackness and exudes the aroma of pure bittersweet chocolate bliss. The aroma never really delves into truly roasted or bitter. The aforementioned chocolate is the dominant, followed by a sweeter coffee scent, maybe more along the lines of a cappuccino. A little bit of dark fruit underneath, perhaps some black cherries, figs, and blackcurrant provide an interesting touch, but can't really be considered a dominant component of the aroma. It's overall a bit sweet on the nose, but the sheer complexity of this aroma simply can not be insulted by docking a point fraction due to trivial preferences.

T: After sitting with this for so long to appreciate the aesthetics and then again to try and pinpoint to nuances of the aroma, it's already at the perfect drinking temperature. The aromas link flawlessly into the flavors. Rich chocolate fudge, dark chocolate cake batter, generously creamed medium roast coffee. The middle allows for an entirely new nuance that was only half-detected in the nose. Wood smoke infused with the blackcurrants. The fruitiness of the black cherries and figs never show up and are replaced with a lingering hop bitterness. Long after the beer has gone down, the wood smoke and blackcurrant flavor remains and BEGS for another sip.

M: Huge. Gargantuan. Enormous. Mammoth. Elephantine. Monolithic. Numerous other SAT-level synonyms for huge. It goes without saying that this is full-bodied. The carbonation is perfectly toned down to just above flat and just below noticeable. It adds just enough to springboard the creaminess that envelopes every single inch of your mouth and leaves nothing untouched. Even with as wonderful as this beer feels, part of my soul is left longing for a bit more, because I noticed that this beer didn't reach the chewiness that I desired until the last few sips, nearly an hour into the experience.

O: What can I say about this that I haven't already said or hundreds of folks before me haven't said? Founders glances over at other brewers and says, "Oh? You guys have a RIS? That's cute, but ours is better." The fact of the matter here, for me, is that this might be the most divine RIS I've ever had the pleasure to consume, and without a doubt one of the finest beers I've ever had the privilege to consume. If I could have one materialistic dying wish... Making this year-round would definitely be a consideration.

Founders Imperial Stout from Founders Brewing Company