PC Pils | Founders Brewing Company

Liked:
3.83/5
Alströms:

4.75/5  rDev +24%

Was really looking forward to this beer. Huge fans of Founders, that is for sure. Excellent tasting beer. Absolutely delicious. However, tastes more like an IPA than your everyday IPA does if you ask me. The finish is definitely better than the everyday though. Great beer, I could see my self enjoying quite a few as I am mostly a hop head and this is right up my alley. Tastes similar in the hops Pilsner category to Hardywood Pils which I think is a great hoppy Pilsner. This one was even hoppier.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Mule Bar in Winooski, VT

4.56/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This may be one of those rare occasions on which I get to review one beer from two different serving styles. Our local rep laid a CAN on me recently, then I scored a bottle. This site used to allow us to review by serving style, but no longer. That is why I try to always identify such a thing when writing a review.

From the CAN (since The CANQuest (tm) is paramount): "Brewed for us."; "Crack it. Pour it. Love it."; "Pleasantly crisp, perfectly clean and profoundly crushable, PC Pils is our take on the classic Pilsner style. While Noble hops have been the preferred choice of Pilsner brewers around the world, we went with some of our favorite American varieties. Piney Chinook, pleasantly citrus Cascade and punchy Centennial make this an easy-drinker with floral hop characteristics. Pretty cool, if you ask us."

Nothing matches the Crack of a CAN, and especially when followed with an inverted Glug. I had to go easy with this one as my awaiting Pilsner glass would quickly overflow. Sure enough, the head came rushing up to create two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head that looked like meringue atop lemon pie filling. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled more pronounced in terms of the Chinook pine scent, but the citrusiness of the grapefruit and lemon was still evident. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. Here, the citrus flavors were very pronounced, especially the grapefruit while the malt was not really a factor. Finish was dry, very citrusy with a bit of pine, but still not much in the way of discernible malt(s). I hate to say it, but I think that I enjoyed what came out of the bottle a little more. That said, I would not hesitate to fill a cooler with CANs of this beer.

From the bottle: "American Hopped Pilsner"; "Pleasantly crisp, perfectly clean and profoundly crushable, PC Pils is our take on the classic Pilsner style. While Noble hops have been the preferred choice of Pilsner brewers around the world, we went with some of our favorite American varieties. Piney Chinook, pleasantly citrus Cascade and punchy Centennial make this an easy-drinker with floral hop characteristics. Pretty cool, if you ask us."

Ah, who asked yinz?!? Actually, I am quite hyped up to try this variation on a theme. I have been a fan of (especially Czech) Pilsners since my FerMentor, Lew Bryson, turned me onto the idea that Noble hops can be prevalent in a lager.

Here goes with the Pop! of the cap. I had my pilsner glass at the ready & standing by for my pour. I have Otterbein United Methodist Church directly across the street & I scour their monthly Attic Treasures rummage sale for glassware, like the one that I am using now. Gad, but this is one gorgeous beer! The cap of dense, bone-white head came right up and hung around like it was getting fed later. The color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) with NE-quality clarity & the tiny, effervescent bubbles made the entire thing look like a 1950's-era print ad for beer! The nose just made me laugh! I would love to know what malt(s) were involved, because this smelled fantastic! It was very citrusy, initially, with notes of lemon and grapefruit, followed by the pine of the Chinook, but I also got a biscuity maltiness, perhaps Pilsner malt (?). Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not exactly watery, but it was not winning any contests, either. The effervescence was a nice touch and opened up my taste buds. Other than the biscuity malt, I am not sure that I would have recognized this as a Pils. I like that this site is calling it an APL and there were definitely NO adjuncts in this beauty. The taste was a wild mélange of tangerine, orange, lemon, grapefruit and a pine tree falling right into the middle of the fruit basket! Ha ha. Finish was semi-dry, more fruity than pine, but wildly refreshing. Crushable? Heck, I could drink this all day out of my cooler! I haven't time to do the CAN review before Happy Hour, but I will post both reviews (as available) later.

Draft: Presented directly from the tap into a pint glass. Just under a finger of foamy, bone-white head with modest retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a lemony citrusiness along with a light grassiness. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste had an interesting combined bitterness of lemon & grapefruit commingled with freshly-mown grass or hay. Finish was dry, in that pleasant, lightly hoppy way that a Pils should evince. The only thing that I lacked was a pretzel or two.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

a solid outing from founders. extremely sessionable beer.

4.46/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

S: Smells like citrus, berry, faint grass, pine and resin and light grain and white cracker.

L: It pours hazy straw gold under a 1" white to off-white sudsy foam collar with fair to food retention. Streams of rapidly rising bubbles replenish the head.

T: It starts juicy and citrusy with orange, berry, mild herb, pine, some bread crumb to light cracker and a nice moderate citrus rind bitterness. This rich, full flavored beer has medium to a little above on hop flavor, medium high hop bitterness and medium low malt flavor.

F: It is refreshing with medium to medium low body and medium to medium high carbonation.

O: An American lager for those who find American lager boring

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear yellow appearance with moderate visible carbonation.

Smell consists of a collection of citrus; lime, lemon, and a wee bit grapefruit.

This is an incredibly smooth beer, both in taste and in mouthfeel. The taste is subtle, but delightfully so as there is plenty of complexity here; it's just subtle. Both the hops and malts are noticeable, but without it becoming distracting. Marvelous combination of flavors. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is perfect.

This is among my favorite lagers, I just wish it was available in the summer. Even though it might be better that it's not since I would drink way to much of it.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this easy drinker. It's fresh, clean and bubbly. It has some really interesting flavors going on, but nothing overpowering. It has become my trusty back up - when I try something new and don't like it, I pour this instead. Excited that Founders has changed their schedule for 2017 and that this is coming back in the Spring/Summer in 2017 instead of the Fall/Winter. It's going to be awesome drinking this fresh on a hot day.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A very good beer

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Solid finger of white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A bready and juicy malt forward aroma with a scent of biscuit, grains, and citrus. Bready malt hints of biscuit, grains, and cracker with lager yeast. Solid hop presence with citrus hints of orange, grapefruit, and lemon zest. Also some grassy and floral hop hints. A very nice aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a bready and juicy malt forward taste with notes of biscuit, grains, and citrus. Bready malt notes of biscuit, grains, straw, and cracker along with some lager yeast. Juicy citrus hop notes of orange, grapefruit, and lemon zest. Also some grassy and piney hop notes. A very nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and smooth.

Overall: A very good hopped up take on a Pilsner. Nice balance of biscuit malt and citrus hop flavor.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders never disappoints ( well except for devil dancer ) but otherwise. Random $1.99 grab from my local Meijer

Look - Impressive for the Pils style. Nice yellow with a golden hue that allows a two pillow head to lay amongst the top. Low carb with moderate stick.

Smell - Fruity. Like fruity pebbles level fruity. Touches of honey. Some obvious malt for the balancing factor.

Taste - Yeah no whatever hop profile they pulled here is fruity pebble esque without a shadow of a doubt. Is this really a pilsener? Either way it's a great beer. Wheat as would be typical for the balancing factor.

Feel - Just a touch thin but moderate considering the style. Nice and flowery as it sits around the mouth alongside that aforementioned fruity pebble stuff.

Overall - Once again Founders does an excellent job. A super and perfectly picked hopped pilsener. Best pils i've had in aeons. Nope, it isn't German so you purists can cry as you may but this is just astounding. Have a day in the small cabin up north after a kill or a day out on lake erie bringing in a few dozen pounds of largemouth. You won't ever go wrong with this brew.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

not an intense hop aroma, Calm citrus hop aroma; good bitterness, not too intense like IPA; light malt taste behind the hops. A very good beer IMO

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

straw colored lager with thick white head that dissipates rather quickly. perfectly clean and clear with solid carbonation. on the nose, bready light malts and faint earthy, grassy hoppy aromas. flavor is all approachable and crisp pilsner malts with smooth bitterness from the US grown hops. body is medium with slight astringency and creamy texture. finishes dry with a significant bitterness that lasts.
great job mimicking the noble hops with US varieties without losing the essence of the style. this is no IPL.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This is currently the beer that I want in my fridge at all times. It's light yet flavorful. The palate is constantly refreshed. Some of the hop profile is that of a high caliber west coast IPA with pale lager crispness. Pine and lemon with some sourdough pulses of flavor. I do like the recent trend of session IPAs but I prefer this beer over just about any I've tried... except for maybe All Day IPA by Founders.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

PC Pils from Founders Brewing Company