PC Pils | Founders Brewing Company

PC PilsPC Pils

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Pleasantly crisp, perfectly clean and profoundly crushable, PC Pils is our take on the classic Pilsner style. While Noble hops have been the preferred choice of Pilsner brewers around the world, we went with some of our favorite American varieties. Piney Chinook, pleasantly citrus Cascade and punchy Centennial make this an easy-drinker with floral hop characteristics. Pretty cool, if you ask us.

Added by BEERchitect on 05-26-2016

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

much to light in color, taste and feel. Lots of lemon, not for me...nice try weak carbonation, flat in minutes

2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

2.72/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.72/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Was lucky enough to be gifted a can of PC Pils by my next door neighbor. I wanted to try it, but couldn't bring myself to pop for another American Pilsner -- even though I see this is listed as an "American Pale Lager," probably need to thank BEERchitect for that little insight.

Canned on 04/13/17 ink-jet printed on the can bottom. Poured into my short Becher.

L -- Pale, hazy yellow with a very spritzy, fast-settling white head.

S -- Could smell piny hops as I popped the can -- hmm. Yeah, big piny, resinous nose to this "Pilsner." Mildest of biscuit malt fighting through.

T -- Piny to citrus hops up front and all around, some mild spiciness. Getting a slight sweetness from malt in the middle, but the bitterness takes control.

F -- Crisp, dry mouthfeel with a light to medium-light body.

O -- Once again, an American Pale Ale with a Pilsner label. I can not understand why breweries have fallen into this pattern of wanting to brew a Pilsner for the marketing side, but opting to make it taste just like a Pale Ale. Very happy that I didn't spend money on the 12 packs that have been on sale locally.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

2.84/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

2.91/5  rDev -24%

The PC Pils certainly looks like a pilsner - light yellow with a white head, but it suffers from a bit too much in the hops department. While I don't prefer hoppy beers, I can appreciate the hop character present in many of the European pilsners. The PC Pils, however, smells and tastes too much like an American IPA, which I tend to pass on every time one is offered to me.

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a light straw yellow into a fifteen ounce glass mug the same temperature as the beer. Two finger white foamy head that dissipates into a thin rime. Little lacing.

Lemony notes up front followed by massive floral hops. Soapy smell.

Taste is mostly floral hops with some pine. Soapy flavor follows the nose.

Crisp and light. Effervescent.

Not my style. Unlike any Pils I've tried before.

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Good beer.. should not be labeled as a pils. Its an APA all around.
Solid C hop backbone and snappiness. Not enough malt to balance it. its a apa. its a good beer just not for me.

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Color: honey, not straw. Good head and lacing.
Aroma/Flavor:not unpleasant but hoppier than appropriate for style. It is a tasty enough beer and will probably pair well with the hot wings once they get here...but calling it a "pilsener" is a stretch. Premium American Craft Lager.
Mouthfeel: good, follows the head retention Not creamy and gets knocked down because of the bitterness in the aftertaste.
Overall: an okay beer but the implication of not living up to the "politically correct" suggestion of this as a "Pils" indicates that the naming committee needs to reconvene. "President Trump Bitter Blonde Lager" would work for me, not that there's a mandate for this sort of change.

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.14/5  rDev -18%

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a hazy yellow straw color. This beer is dated 4/04/17. Smells like lemon and pineapple. Tastes like a watered down IPA. Not necessarily bad, I would have again. Finish is crisp and refreshing. Overall having been only drinking IPA's , I was looking forward to a more traditional Czech style Pils. REVISION: I purchased this "Pils" having forgot that I rated it already. I think founders blew an opportunity to make an authentic Pilsner. Even the name PC (politically correct) pils, I assumed it was an authentic recipe from Pilsen. Founders found it necessary to change the hops radically. I am patriotic, but these American hops make it completely different tasting from an authentic Pilsner. I understand that getting large access to German hops of quality is very difficult, but Founders is a big boy player who I would think has the weight in the business to accomplish this.They should have stuck to the formula in my opinion

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.21/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

PC Pils from Founders Brewing Company