Love Belgian Beer?

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Reviews: 693 | Ratings: 3,257

I am not a fan beer in general but if I had to pick one this one would win hands down every time. It is sweet and delicious. It has a brilliant red color with a vibrant sweet aroma of raspberry. When tasting this it is soft, sweet and a hint of tartness. The sweetness of this beer is not overwhelming in any sense.

look: PINK
Smell: raspberries
taste: delicious, tart, heavy raspberry flavor
aftertaste: fruity tartness
overall: LOVE this beer, great for the summer

Done in a horizontal tasting with Thirsty Dog Raspberry Ale and Great Divide Wild Raspberry(from notes).

Eye: Not quite clear, cloudy and the color of dark grapefruit juice. The head is beautiful, creamy with the perfect size and great retention, color of it is pinkwith white added to lighted it a shade or two. Beautiful sandstone type of lacing-layers. Great looking all around.

Nose: Smells of real raspberries, just like you've opened a bag of them and pureed them. Simple and Pure. Great aroma, just pure raspberries.

Tongue: Tartness and the flavor of real raspberries, nothing processed about this beer. Tastes like all natural raspberries. This is by far the best fruit beer I've had to date. Hops are present just enough to balance it out, just slightly noticeable in the taste. This is an excellent fruit beer, one of the best all around...a bit of tartness and some bitterness perfectly balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: My first thought when this one hit my palate was-Smooth, velvet-like. It has a ferfect amount of carbonation to compliment the tartness in here. NIce medium body, with a semi-dry finish. First slightly wet finish that leads to to a dried finish then back again. Certain parts of my mouth call this dry whilst others...well not so much so. this is one that I'll buy again, pending I can find it next season.

It's like a sweet, slightly tangy raspberry juice, but carbonated and alcoholic. It's a pinkish / purplish color, and very refreshing on a hotter day. I can foresee me drinking many of these during the summer months. One of my new favorite summertime beers!

I absolutely love this beer. It is delicious and a really easy beer to drink. I also heard that if you mix it with Bells Oarsman ale it is incredible, so I did and it's true. Rubaeus is a beautiful red color when poured and retains a nice foamy head (if poured correctly). It gives a wonderful mouth feel during the first sip, similar to carbonation from pop. It is also a very sweet beer, which I enjoy for nights around a bonfire.

A great choice from Founders and make sure to try it while it is out on the shelves!

4.98/5  rDev +28.4%

This beer is a very red in color. It smells highly fruity, with raspberry scents coming through strong. The taste is sweet and fruity, but balanced. It has a good, medium but light body. I very much enjoy this beer. Someone who doesn't like sweet beers may want to stay away. Easy to drink.

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

Very delicous. Full of rasberry notes. The rasberry is much stronger than most rasberry beer because founders uses much more rasberries. I thought this would be great for summer days as it reminds me of childhood eating fresh rasberries.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark reddish color with an off-white head that turns into a ring of lacing.

S- There is no mistaking the aroma. It is fresh raspberries all the way. What is great about the aroma is it smells like you have your nose to a bowl of fresh raspberries and not an artificial fruit-like aroma.

T- The taste is nothing short of amazing. Tart raspberries up front with a lingering sweetness coming in. At first, I think the sweetness will overpower but the tartness comes back in the finish to balance things out. Even though the taste is 100% raspberry, it does not taste one dimensional because there is so many waves of flavors in the taste.

M- One of the first things I noticed in the taste was the thickness of the mouthfeel. I was expecting a very light body and a high amount of carbonation but this beer is medium bodied with a moderate-average amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I am extremely impressed with this beer. It is a must try for anyone who loves raspberries. If you love raspberries, you will love this beer. If you dislike raspberries, you will dislike this beer. Highly recommended!

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

I was very nervous to try a "fruity" beer because I was worried about the sugar. I was wrong! This beer poured out as a deep red color, reminded me of a rye beer. The head was white and very large but settled quickly. The smell was of raspberry and natural fruits, made my tongue water. The taste was amazing! Natural sugar to complement the raspberry taste, still tasted like a "beer" and not a fruit drink. Very refreshing, I could not get enough! One of my absolute favorites now!

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

Great fruit beer. I typically prefer a little more carbonation, but still very good. Rasberry flavor was very balanced with the beer. Comparable to some of the Belgian Lambics. If you've never been to Founders, it's definitely worth the trip. Come thirsty, but not hungry because they don't serve any food.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours pinkish red, like raspberries, with a raspberry-white chocolate head. Aroma is of fresh picked raspberries in a field of raspberries. Flavor is of raspberry jam, raspberry preserves, raspberry jelly, and a mouthful of raspberries right off the vine. Mouthfeel is slightly sticky but super drinkable. Overall: raspberries.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Picked up a six-pack of these a couple of days ago. I'm on my last one right now, so I figured I write a review.

Appearance: Pours out a ruby red color. Very reminscent of cranberry juice, in fact, with a decent-sized pinkish head that eventually settles and leaves almost no lacing.

Smell: The raspberries used in this stuff was very apparent from the minute I opened the bottle. Very sweet and tart smelling with a faint hint of malt.

Taste: Like the scent, raspberries dominate. Sweet at first, quickly turning slightly tart. Finishes tart, but crisp and clean with a slightly noticable malt undertone. A very well-done fruit beer, especially if you like raspberries.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good mouthfeel. Kind of creamy. The carbonation seems just about right and is actually kind of reminscent of champagne.

Drinkability: Excellent! This goes down very easy, maybe a little too easy. In fact, I found myself downing three of these in one sitting the other day. A very good spring or summer beer.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Red in color. Smells sweet and like raspberries. Tastes the way that it smells-- sweet and like raspberries. Slightly sour and tart, but the flavors are not overpowering. The raspberry presence is not overpowering either. Overall, sweet, balanced and flavorful.

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass
Before I start - Let it be known that I love raspberries, and any opinions are biased to my love of the taste this berry carries.

Appearance: Cranberry juice appearance to the beer itself. The head is short and lasts a short while. It is pink in color with small bubbles and what appears to be carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. The beer is a deep magenta and has some opacity to it. What a great change from all these other conventional beers.

Smell: Raspberries, raspberries, raspberries. Freshly picked raspberries. There are other aromas like strawberry and plum in there but raspberry is clearly the dominat aroma. This could easily be a lambic with some brett added to it.

Taste: Tart and sweet. The raspberry flavor is in full effect. This is a great representation on the flavor of the berry. It's not supposed to be overly sweet like jam but it hold true to the natural sugars that are present in the fruit. No hop flavor to speak of and some maltiness. This is so refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. I was shocked to look up and see the ABV is 6.9%. You could have told me it was 3% and I would have been a believer. Very cunningly crafted!

Drinkability: I believe this is an awesome beer. I would get a case of this if I saw it. I love raspberry and think that the brewers made it authentic to the flavor that the berry holds. The ABV is well-hidden and the beer is sickeningly drinkable and quenching. Very, very nicely done.

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was on a fruit beer kick today! The Rubaeus was my fourth fruit beer of the day and I have to say it was impressive! Poured from the bottle, it was a deep opaque brown with reddish tones. It smells of a strong, sweet rasperry, an almost syrupy smell. It tastes of a strong raspberry flavor but the sourness very nicely balances the fruity sweetness! The flavor was delicious and refreshing. It was smooth through the entire glass. This was a thoroughly enjoyable finish to the day.

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful magenta pour. Small head. Smell is vinegar and sugarplums, apples also, and I guess some raspberries. The taste is absolutely amazing !!!

This is one of the finest American examples of taking a Belgian sour/Flemish red and blending it with a sweet lambic like Lindemann's framboise. An excellent combo. The mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent also.This one is really worth seeking out.

Tasting notes:(in addition to sour cherries/raspberries would be some real woody maltiness)

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

I purchased this beer as a single bottle at my local market.

A: This is one wicked good looking beer. You would have to be careful with this stuff around kids. They could mistake it for a cup of juice. It's light pink with a beautiful ruby red that's second to none. Not much of a head but the color alone makes up for it.

S: Very bitter and tart. Raspberries!!! And lots of them! This is the definition of a fruit beer. The sweetness makes me just want to dive in get a taste.

T: This a true gem from Founders. The taste resembles the smell a lot. Raspberries and tartness. I'm not a huge fruit beer fan but there's something about the taste of this Rübæus that keeps me taking frequent sips.

M: Light and not too tart. Carbonation seems to be just about right.

D: Very drinkable. It's basically like fruit juice with alcohol. And a decent amount to boot.

Overall I really dig Rübæus. It was the first fruit beer I ever tried and unfortunately it will be no more very soon. I will continue to search for however much is left on planet Earth. Thank you Founders for the good memories!

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

This beer drinks really easy and isn't very filling, which is what I liked the most about it. Have it on tap at my bar (Old Chicago in Okemos Michigan). Nothing to complain about with this beer except the price. Founders makes great
beers, holding it down in the Midwest market.

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look - kind of disappointing in that there's no head and no lacing. However I love the rich red hue. Looks like thee could be drops of blood in the coloration.

Smell - sweet and tart (if tart is a smell).

Taste - been loving fruity beers this summer and this one is fantastic. It's well balanced in that it's tart, but not outright sour. The raspberry is very prominent and dominates the flavor, making it greatly refreshing during the summer months. Certainly sweet but there's just enough bitterness to keep it grounded as a beer.

Feel - again very refreshing. Doesn't come off as heavy and goes down with ease. Could put these down all afternoon.

Overall I am not sure hardcore hop heads would like this, but if you're a fan of Weiss Beers, Belgians or fruit beers I think this is some you should give a try. Nice alternate to a summer cocktail or wine. I really like this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Fourteen bucks for a six pack of a fruit beer? I was skeptical, but now I'm a convert, as this is the best fruit beer I've seen available on the American market.

It is a raspberry red with hints of brown and a strong, fruity bouquet...of raspberry. The flavor is equally aggressive--lots of raspberry throughout and a slight alcohol presence in back to remind me that this is a beer. What sets this beer apart from so many other fruit brews is its overall feel. Like New Belgium's Frambozen (and for the record, I believe that this is a far superior beer to Frambozen) it has a strength of body and dry finish that balance out the fruit well. As it should, raspberry dominates almost every aspect of this beer; however, it doesn't go fully unchecked. What's more, it's got tremendous length with a sweet and sour aftertaste that lingers long after each swallow.

This is a top-notch summer brew that, as I understand it, was brewed with the intention of 'dethroning' the American pale wheat ale as the unquestioned king of easy-drinking Summer styles. Rubaeus makes a good case that APWAs should play second fiddle to other, more challenging and equally refreshing summer styles--saisons, kolschs, or, in this case, a full-bodied fruit beer. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

i kinda steer away from most sweet beers since i got into flander's and guezze's but this one is worth checking out

first off my grandmother used to grow rasberries in her backyard, so growing up we always had jam and fresh raspberries

so needless to say i like rasberries

this one is very good
in my opinion much better than a popula belgian rasberry lambic(which shall remain namelss)

good work founders

this is good, kinda too sweet to drink more than a few , but def nice and im very happy i can get it sometimes

ps they also make an imperial version (blushing monk) I have yet to try this but really want to

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

The smell is faint and subtle.
The overall taste is like a fruit tart with a "mini" mix of creamy (nitro) melting and invigorating your mouth!
This is a must get on tap/nitro!!!

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12 oz. bottle into snifter glass. 5.7% abv

Appearance- Poures a deep garnet color with a thin head quick to dissipate.

Smell- Ripe raspberries dominate the aroma, very fresh smelling. Hints of a sweet malt but hard to decipher through the fruit.

Taste- Sweet raspberry arrives first, turning slightly tart midway through the taste. A bit of grainy malt, but not near as strong of a malt force as most beers are as the fruit stands above. Finishes slightly dry retaining the sweet berry flavors.

Mouthfeel- Medium-thin in body which makes this beer refreshing.

Overall- If this isn't a refreshing beer I don't know what is. Great for Summer. Reminiscent of a wine cooler but this is definitley a beer. A superior fruit beer.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours out a hazy pinkish color and sits a lightly foggy pimped out ruby-pink in the glass with a good sized pink-tinted head, fading slowly to a light skim. Very wine-like in appearance, a young pinot noir is most comparable in tone. Tampax is now at the ready...

Smells of ripe, juicy red raspberries. Tart, creamy sides with hints of honey and smooth malty core. Very attractive, but not overpowering.

Tastes lightly sweet up front, nice initialy malt presence. Raspberry flavors start out soft and sweet, and tartness intensifies to a peak of fruit flavors. Doses of grapes, apricots and raspberries are all jammed up and spread out over a layer of lighlty toasted malts. Finish lends a very mild bitterness, fruit flavors linger on and on.

Soft, young body boasts light and pillowy carbonation. Very refreshing and flows very well.

I've had very few good fruit beers, and this is one of them. For those who can't handle the over-the-top fruit mimicry done by New Glarus (which I think are excellent), this might be right up your alley. Fruit flavor is nicely balanced and allows the inner beer shine through just enough. Well suited for a (expensive) fruit beer session. Very tasty, and I'm not surprised one bit. Founders has impressed me yet again.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Damn, this beer near killed me when I opened it. A loud pop like a .22 rimfire. Don't know why or how. Anyway, so upon pouring, the carbonation rears it's head and i'm left with 4 inches of foam, and 1 inch of beer. Ok... Um, this is different. Finally it cooled off and I was able to pour it and really get into it. Dark raspberry red color with high carbonation. Major foamy head was present. Aromas of raspberries and some malt with a touch of sweet alcohol. Taste is exceptional. Right up a the fruit beer alley; flavors of raspberries, strawberries, malt, sweet hops and alcohol blend in fantastic harmony. Tartness is present yet not overpowering, adding to the presentation of the flavors. Sour finish is smooth and slightly warming. Mouthfeel is light and airey, not watery or sticky like some other fruit beers. This beer has a high level of drinkability, as this could be enjoyed year round, but more so in the summer. Highly recommended beer for this unique style. If you want raspberries in your beer, look to this, not a rasberry eisbock.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company