Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Ratings: 3,594 |  Reviews: 772
3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

I was disappointed with this beer. I am huge Founders fan and the six pack I bought was quite expensive.

The color of this beer was a very unapealing pink/red. The taste of the beer was very bitter and sour (not in a good way). The aroma was not strong enough for a fruit beer like this. I have had many other rasberry beers that were better than this.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

This is not beer. My old lady says that this should be cut with a pale ale. Reminds everyone here of the glory days of Bartles and James.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer opened with a big “Pssst” and poured a full glass of light raspberry colored foam. The tiny body is a hazy reddish orange hue with a strong carbonation.

S- The aroma is a big fresh sweet raspberry with a hint of tartness but not a yogurt sourness.

T- The flavor is a big raspberry tartness without the berry flavor and some hoppy floral taste. There is a finish of pale malt in the body.

M- medium mouthfeel with a bit of fizz. There is some astringency or maybe just a big tartness.

D- This beer has the big nose of a great raspberry beer but it is missing the flavor. It was really over-carbonated but I don't think that affected the flavor much. It was missing flavors like fresh berries or malt or hops to balance. It just needs something besides sour.

Founders- Rübaeus

A- Light ruby red with a small filmy head.
S- Raspberries, thats all.
T- Sweet raspberry candy. Sugary sweet with a hint of powdered corn starch?
M- Very sweet and dry with a touch of alc. heat in the end. Very acidic.

Overall- Blah. Sweet fruity beer good to drink with some chocolate cake otherwise pass on this. Overrated!

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottled 07/20/13. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with nice label art and a branded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight at me local HEB grocery and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery - which makes some beers I love. 5.7% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of dull pink-grey colour. Okay thickness and creaminess; it's a bit wanting in fairness. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - about 1.5-2 minutes at best.

Body colour is a clear translucent amber red of above average vibrance; it's got a nice rich glow to it. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks a bit darker than I expected - but good overall for a fruit beer.

Sm: Raspberry fruit extract/syrup. Mild floral hop character. Pilsner malts. Clean barley. Sugary raspberries. Cane sugar. Luckily, it's got a good berry aroma but never ventures into cough syrup territory. It's definitely on the sweeter side, though, and I'm a bit concerned that it might come off too syrupy like so many beers in the style. Although I do get some tartness - and even a kiss of sourness - off the back end. That tartness surfaces more and more as it warms, reassuring me. I'm excited to try it.

A pleasant fruity aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol or yeast character is detectable.

T/Mf: Plenty of raspberry - both natural raspberry notes and your usual fruit extract/fruit syrup notes. It does land on the sweet end (undoubtedly), but there's a nice tartness throughout which lends it needed depth and diversity of flavour. Pilsner malts give it an unobtrusive clean foundation. Ripe. It's got a good balance to it even if it is kind of one dimensional. It satisfies its aims; it's a tasty fruit beer. But this doesn't have a whole lot of complexity or subtlety. One could point to Delirium Red as a superior approach to this kind of beer.

Average depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour for the style.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

It's got a crisp clean presence on the palate, and is adequately carbonated - though not perfectly. Chewy and sticky. Nice body. The mouthfeel suits the flavour profile generally well, but I don't know that it seems the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. More acidity would really help it.

Not oily, biting, gushed, or hot. It flirts a bit too much with a syrupy character to quite be refreshing, even in 100 degree weather here in Texas.

Dr: I hoped for better given the brewery, but this isn't a bad beer by any means, and I'll enjoy finishing the four pack. An excellent beer for luring women and/or cider lovers into craft beer if they're not already fans. Hides its ABV nicely. It's a flavourful little fruit beer that has its place. It certainly won't be a fridge mainstay for me, but I can easily see myself buying it again in a certain mood.

That said, it's easy to read this as a cider/wine cooler/alcopop. There are better approaches to the style, and the price point isn't great.

High C+

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish pink color. The head is a two finger Jigglypuff shade that doesn't feature the best retention. Spotty lacing is left behind.

S: Raspberry. That's kind of it, really, but it's a nice singular note regardless.

T: The flavors are primarily raspberry juice and cream. Those flavors are nice, but it's kind of one note to a fault. I really don't have much to say other than this one would do better on a hot day.

M: Medium body, sweet finish, high carbonation. This feel is so average, it's leaving me at a loss for words.

O: I think I preferred Cerise to this one. I've been looking to try this for a while now, so in that regard, this is a mild letdown. Of course, this beer's monotony means I don't have to write a long review. Wooo.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

What really got me on this one was the feel and look. I'd been eyeing it at my local shop for a while but ended up trying it on tap and am glad I didn't commit to a four or six pack.

Look: Deep pinkish red. It looks exactly like you'd expect a raspberry beer to look. It has about a 1/2 inch head when poured on tap. Very beautiful to look at though overall.

Aroma: Seems obvious, but raspberry.

Taste: Also seems obvious, but raspberry. While having expectations may have skewed my perception, this is where the beer was lackluster for me. I enjoy sweet things but this was too sweet for me. There wasn't much offsetting the berry, like something tart, giving it a syrupy taste.

Feel: The nitro aspect makes this incredibly smooth and something that I did like about the beer. It was redeeming.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Raspberry juice in color with a small and quickly diminishing head. Medicinal fruit aroma, raspberry mainly, but a hint of cherry as well, with light hints of malt and hops barely showing through the fruit aroma. Flavor is overwhelming with raspberry and although it is quite vibrant, I can’t say I enjoy the malt and hop combo. Light caramel and cookie-like malt is present on the palate as well. Overall, I found it to be a nice alternative to American wheat beer

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Good Summer beer after softball,

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. The color is deep mahogany. There are a few bubbles but not much of a head otherwise.

The aroma has sweet cherry and that's about it.

This tastes very sweet. There is rich cherry. This makes for a great dessert sipper. Hints of vanilla are noted after a few sips.

This is full bodied and slightly syrupy.

I would say this belongs on pancakes if I wasn't so loyal to maple syrup. This is very sweet so a little goes a long way. The flavor is good and the quality high; this might just not be for me.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%