Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Reviews: 694 | Ratings: 3,269
2.97/5  rDev -23.5%

Did not do anything for me. Too sweet for my liking, though I did not find it to be an offensively bad beer. I knew what to expect going in, so at least there were no surprises.

Clear gorgeous ruby color! Really bright and vibrant. 1 finger of light pink head. Lots of raspberries on the nose. Tart sweet raspberries! Some sweet grains.

Lots of tart raspberry flavor and grainy sweetness. Full bodied that things out a little on the finish. Tartness doesnt linger too much. Sweetness lingers a bit but its not overly sweet. A little sticky though. Not as refreshing as most fruit beers. Heavy body and thick. It's good but I wouldn't drink more than 1. And with how rare pricey it is I wouldn't really recommend it. Preferred Cerise.

Not very beer like in appearance. Thin pinkish head quickly receded. Mildly cabonated with a few big bubbles that quickly rise and embrace the atmosphere. Essentially no lace.

Sweet, ripe raspberries and a touch of grain, some raspberry tang present, along with a touch of yeast mustiness.

Sweet, ripe raspberries along with some pale malts. Tartness shows up near the finish, along with a touch of musty yeast and some grassy hops.

Showcases raspberries in this light bodied brew. Not cloying or syrupy, but is certainly sweet. Would prefer a slightly greater tartness, and perhaps more of a malt presence as well.

One will be enough for me. I really enjoy raspberries, but this is too sweet and unbeerlike for me. Would make a decent dessert drink, but next time ill just go with the NG raspberry tart. A good brew to serve to those who usually stick to alcopop beverages. Might mix well though with a robust porter or perhaps a stout. Could also probably make a killer marinade or sauce out of this.

Look - light red almost pinkish in a glass. 2 finger white head that dissipates into a lacing.

Smell - Smells like real raspberries, sweet malt, slight white wine like smell.

Taste - you get the raspberries, but it's more like a raspberry spritzer than a beer. Like a fizzy flavoured white wine. If I was blindfolded, I'd have no idea this was a beer.

3.02/5  rDev -22.2%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355 ml) bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a tulip

The beer poured a gorgeous, crystal clear, ruby red color with a tight, light pink, sea foam head. Over time, the head faded to a frothy, bubbly film. Odd shaped clumps of lacing cascaded down the glass with every sip.

The aroma was a mix of a powdery yeastiness and a raspberry soda-like quality. Syrupy sweet (much sweeter smelling than I anticipated).

The taste was akin to that of a weak raspberry soda. Sweeter up front, tangy in the center and slightly bitter on the back end. A touch of hops came through on the finish. Some dry, medicinal notes lingered in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was crisp, light and spritzy. Somewhat airy. Appropriate for the style yet not very appealing.

Drinkability was quite good. Although the flavor profile was less than stellar, the beer was light and refreshing. Furthermore, the 6.9% ABV was hardly detectable.

If there ever was a beer that mimicked a wine cooler, this would be it. A perfect, warm weather beer for people who do not like beer.

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Brilliant magenta. Great look at
Funky sweet fruit, berry, slight grain
Berry. Not specifically raspberry, underlying grains very subtle
Lost me here. Almost no carbonation, syrupy almost heavy feel

As i drink it, its getting very sweet. A bad beer, no. But not for me. I would like more carbonation to break up that sugar, syrup thickness. Would be interesting on nitro.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2015 Bottle

A — Pours a bright pinkish red hue into the glass, thin white head forms, but leaves behind only sticky bits of lace.

S — Smells fantastic, lots of bright raspberry and strawberry, lightly tart, really just smells like freshly picked raspberries.

T — Sweet overall, notes of raspberry, light lemon, just dominated by raspberries, exactly as it was billed, just really really sweet.

M — Medium bodied, sticky and lingering finish.

O — A nice enough beer, but this would be over the top if it had some lacto to add some tartness, as it is currently its a bit too sweet.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

I was disappointed with this beer. I am huge Founders fan and the six pack I bought was quite expensive.

The color of this beer was a very unapealing pink/red. The taste of the beer was very bitter and sour (not in a good way). The aroma was not strong enough for a fruit beer like this. I have had many other rasberry beers that were better than this.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

( Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer opened with a big “Pssst” and poured a full glass of light raspberry colored foam. The tiny body is a hazy reddish orange hue with a strong carbonation.

S- The aroma is a big fresh sweet raspberry with a hint of tartness but not a yogurt sourness.

T- The flavor is a big raspberry tartness without the berry flavor and some hoppy floral taste. There is a finish of pale malt in the body.

M- medium mouthfeel with a bit of fizz. There is some astringency or maybe just a big tartness.

D- This beer has the big nose of a great raspberry beer but it is missing the flavor. It was really over-carbonated but I don't think that affected the flavor much. It was missing flavors like fresh berries or malt or hops to balance. It just needs something besides sour.

Founders- Rübaeus

A- Light ruby red with a small filmy head.
S- Raspberries, thats all.
T- Sweet raspberry candy. Sugary sweet with a hint of powdered corn starch?
M- Very sweet and dry with a touch of alc. heat in the end. Very acidic.

Overall- Blah. Sweet fruity beer good to drink with some chocolate cake otherwise pass on this. Overrated!

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottled 07/20/13. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with nice label art and a branded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight at me local HEB grocery and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery - which makes some beers I love. 5.7% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of dull pink-grey colour. Okay thickness and creaminess; it's a bit wanting in fairness. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - about 1.5-2 minutes at best.

Body colour is a clear translucent amber red of above average vibrance; it's got a nice rich glow to it. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks a bit darker than I expected - but good overall for a fruit beer.

Sm: Raspberry fruit extract/syrup. Mild floral hop character. Pilsner malts. Clean barley. Sugary raspberries. Cane sugar. Luckily, it's got a good berry aroma but never ventures into cough syrup territory. It's definitely on the sweeter side, though, and I'm a bit concerned that it might come off too syrupy like so many beers in the style. Although I do get some tartness - and even a kiss of sourness - off the back end. That tartness surfaces more and more as it warms, reassuring me. I'm excited to try it.

A pleasant fruity aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol or yeast character is detectable.

T/Mf: Plenty of raspberry - both natural raspberry notes and your usual fruit extract/fruit syrup notes. It does land on the sweet end (undoubtedly), but there's a nice tartness throughout which lends it needed depth and diversity of flavour. Pilsner malts give it an unobtrusive clean foundation. Ripe. It's got a good balance to it even if it is kind of one dimensional. It satisfies its aims; it's a tasty fruit beer. But this doesn't have a whole lot of complexity or subtlety. One could point to Delirium Red as a superior approach to this kind of beer.

Average depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour for the style.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

It's got a crisp clean presence on the palate, and is adequately carbonated - though not perfectly. Chewy and sticky. Nice body. The mouthfeel suits the flavour profile generally well, but I don't know that it seems the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. More acidity would really help it.

Not oily, biting, gushed, or hot. It flirts a bit too much with a syrupy character to quite be refreshing, even in 100 degree weather here in Texas.

Dr: I hoped for better given the brewery, but this isn't a bad beer by any means, and I'll enjoy finishing the four pack. An excellent beer for luring women and/or cider lovers into craft beer if they're not already fans. Hides its ABV nicely. It's a flavourful little fruit beer that has its place. It certainly won't be a fridge mainstay for me, but I can easily see myself buying it again in a certain mood.

That said, it's easy to read this as a cider/wine cooler/alcopop. There are better approaches to the style, and the price point isn't great.

High C+

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish pink color. The head is a two finger Jigglypuff shade that doesn't feature the best retention. Spotty lacing is left behind.

S: Raspberry. That's kind of it, really, but it's a nice singular note regardless.

T: The flavors are primarily raspberry juice and cream. Those flavors are nice, but it's kind of one note to a fault. I really don't have much to say other than this one would do better on a hot day.

M: Medium body, sweet finish, high carbonation. This feel is so average, it's leaving me at a loss for words.

O: I think I preferred Cerise to this one. I've been looking to try this for a while now, so in that regard, this is a mild letdown. Of course, this beer's monotony means I don't have to write a long review. Wooo.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Raspberry juice in color with a small and quickly diminishing head. Medicinal fruit aroma, raspberry mainly, but a hint of cherry as well, with light hints of malt and hops barely showing through the fruit aroma. Flavor is overwhelming with raspberry and although it is quite vibrant, I can’t say I enjoy the malt and hop combo. Light caramel and cookie-like malt is present on the palate as well. Overall, I found it to be a nice alternative to American wheat beer

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a chalice. The color is deep mahogany. There are a few bubbles but not much of a head otherwise.

The aroma has sweet cherry and that's about it.

This tastes very sweet. There is rich cherry. This makes for a great dessert sipper. Hints of vanilla are noted after a few sips.

This is full bodied and slightly syrupy.

I would say this belongs on pancakes if I wasn't so loyal to maple syrup. This is very sweet so a little goes a long way. The flavor is good and the quality high; this might just not be for me.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

I'm a huge fan of Founders, and I even have their t-shirt on thanks to kkipple. I bought this beer though.

A: Light fluffy head that fades quickly like a good sour bottle conditioned beer. Dark and bright rosy reddish pink and hazy color.

N: Nose is raspberry! Some sweet syrup aromas, and the slightest crisp ale aromas, but almost like a raspberry juicy aroma.

T: Starts with a slightly sweet syrup and tons of raspberry. It's got a thick syrup but not too much with sweetness. Again the slightest crisp ale flavor. The raspberry just takes over everything. A slight bitterness. Not much for sour, wild, funky, anything that would give this a beer like taste, or a lambic like beer, instead its just lots of fruit juice.

M: Slight thickness and lots of carbonation.

F: Slightly bitter, and dries off a bit, but mostly still the raspberry juice. This is not a beer, its a fermented raspberry juice. This might be great for some people, especially a feminine beer, but the complete lack of any real beer qualities makes this not reach anywhere near my top beers. I wish I only got 1 instead of a 4 pack.

3.22/5  rDev -17%

from the bottle. poured a meduim cherry to raspberry, with a big foamy pink head that left some good lacing. aroma, raspberries, yeast, citrus, fruity. flavor, like a wine cooler, raspberries, tart with some sweetness ( like a sweet tart). would be a good summer beer

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Poured a pink grapefruit color that appeared much darker in the glass of ruby-orange. The head was eggshell white in color, thin, bubbly, with pink hues. Upon closer inspection there was a big haze and turbidity nature to the beer with a few floaties to be seen.

S: Tart, fruity raspberries and some sugary sweetness combine to produce a soft, perfumy aroma.

T: sugary sweet raspberries. Very fruity and sweet overall. Wish I had more to say and elaborate on but that was pretty much it in a nutshell.

M The mouthful was medium, oily with almost no carbonation detected, while it left a tart berry tang behind on the swallow.

D: Overall it was overbearingly sweet at times and hard to imagine putting more then one of these down at a time. A six pack may last awhile and may be a bit much as don't see this beer having much redrinking value.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy darkish red with a light pink one finger head. Really no lacing and just the slightest bit of head retention.

Aroma is full of hearty raspberry along with some grass and hay.

Quite sweet taste with raspberries. A little too sweet but it doesn't really seem artificial which is nice. Very little bitterness with a sticky mouthfeel. Oddly not real refreshing due to the sweetness.

Overall, one of my least favorite beers from Founders. Decent flavor but too sweet to really enjoy.

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine and Liquors in DuPont Circle, NW D.C., poured into my The Bruery tulip glass, drank 11/6/13 over a half-hour.

A: 2/3 - deep ruby red coloration, minimal clarity (cannot see or read through), initial whitish one finger carbonation resolved into a subtle glass lacing throughout the drinking; moderate-to-high carbonation, little alcohol legs

S: 8/12 - lots of raspberries and vinous qualities; no off aromas detected

T: 15/20 - on the anterior tongue, there a lambic-like fruity-estery slap - raspberries through and through, and, in the middle profile featured, some sweetness continues with a slight sourness; finished dry; little-to-no alcohol flavors, which was appropriate at 6.0%

M: 3/5 - light-bodied and high carbonation makes it tart and refreshing but, even so, it's still too thin for me

O: 6/10 - as much as I love Founders, this, for me, is one of the worst beers in their portfolio; it tastes like a poor man's version of Lindeman's Framboise, which is a decent enough lambic; I was definitely expecting more complexity and not just getting slapped back-and-forth by raspberries; I think that lots of wine and uninitiated beer drinkers could enjoy this beer in moderation but it's just not for me and won't be buying it again if it comes out for 2014

TOTAL = 34/50

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This "beer" poured out a light purple color with what looked like a cider style drink in the glass. I could tell that there was something added to this beer. The taste was sweet and thick, almost a syrup consistency.

3.29/5  rDev -15.2%

I typically do not like most fruit beers, but I thought I would like this one.

A: Deep reddish / raspberry color light pink foam, nice amount of head

S: Yep, that's raspberry

T: Overly sweet for my taste, but the wife likes this one. Not as sweet as some of the other fruit beers, I think founders did a nice job with this, just was hoping for a bit of tartness or acidity.

O: Not for me, but I can see how some would appreciate this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

Wow. Had heard of this one, and was dying to try it. So glad it was finally available here.

This one formed a full pint of head in my glass. It was slightly pink foam, and it took a while to subside so I could add more. Final color to the brew was purplish-red, so I knew there were a hell of a lot of raspberries in it. Body was clear.

Aroma was VERY rich in raspberries, quite powerful. I couldn't pick up anything else. Very similar to DFH Fort.

Taste was initially bitter, followed by a burst of raspberries across the tongue. Not as much malt discernable... all about the fruit.

Mouthfeel was somewhat thin, much to my disappointment... a lot like a malt soda.

Can't give it a good drinkability rating, unfortunately. I'm not a major fan of raspberries, but that's not it. I just don't think it had as much beer character as it should have. This was too much about the berries.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

From notes on 3/25/14

On tap at the KBS release. Out of all the beers we tried that night, this was my least favorite, but it was still good. Light ruby colored body. Taste of sour cranberries with some malt characters. I may have rated this higher, but living in Wisconsin and having access to New Glarus and there tart beers have really made all others tough to compare. Still pretty good.

3.31/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: This is an interesting looking beer. It's crystal clear and pours a berry red color. Sitting on top is a strawberry cream colored head that's a finger and a half deep. It dissipated quickly and left a very light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The nose okay, but underwhelming. It's dominated by rasberry fruit notes. Somewhat reminds me of New York Seltzer. There's a little bit of an earthy/grainy smell to it. Perhaps a touch of hops. It smells good, but there's not much that's reminiscent of beer.

Taste: The flavor profile is very heavy on the rasberry. No shock there. It's a nice taste though. It's very sweet and sugary. It does have a striking bitter bite that emerges. Perhaps it's attributable to the infusion of some hops. I'm not quite sure. It is a little earthy. No alcohol is noted. Finishes very sweet and a little bitter. Honestly, it's got an okay taste. It doesn't have a lot of beer-like qualities, but enough to get by.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and has a decent feel. It features very active carbonation that really impedes its journey toward being smooth. It goes down relatively easy despite that quality. Drinkability is average. This bottle's going down pretty quickly. But due to it's sweet, non-beer nature, I'm ready to move on to something else.

Rübæus is an okay fruit beer. I'm not a fan of the style and this one suffers the same flaws as others. Primarily, it's very heavy on fruit and sweetness and short on ordinary good beer qualities. There's some here, but not enough. That being said, it's okay. It's difficult to offer any meaningful criticism. That'd probably lead to it no longer being a fruit/vegetable beer. All in all, it's alright. Definitely worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: pours a dark ruby with barely any pinkish head that quickly fizzles away into a few bubbles with little lacing.

S: sweet and tart raspberries dominate the nose. Not much else going on.

T: sweet and tart raspberry flavors dominate here as well with just a slight yeast flavor on the aftertaste.

M: medijm body with lowish carbonation, this beer could use more carbonation to help it avoid being sticky sweet. It feels like an 8% or higher beer from the sweetness.

O: Raspberries. That's about all I can say about this beer since that's about all that's going on. I love raspberries, but I look for something more in a beer other than tasting like raspberry juice mixed with a bit of soda water. It's not offensive or bad, but there just needs to be some depth.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company