Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Ratings: 3,561 |  Reviews: 765
4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

APPEARANCE: A very clear red, with a small amount of tiny bubbles rising. About a half finger of strawberry head that dissipates quickly down to a ring. Very slight lacing left down glass.
AROMA: Prominent raspberry, and an underlying funk or tart quality.
TASTE: Big sweet and tart rasberries. Get a nice funky thing happening underneath...the yeast, IDK?
FEEL: Mild carbonation, slick feel up front, then drying on finish. Medium body.
OVERALL: Would be berry refreshing on a hot day, pun intended. Easy to drink, too.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

What really got me on this one was the feel and look. I'd been eyeing it at my local shop for a while but ended up trying it on tap and am glad I didn't commit to a four or six pack.

Look: Deep pinkish red. It looks exactly like you'd expect a raspberry beer to look. It has about a 1/2 inch head when poured on tap. Very beautiful to look at though overall.

Aroma: Seems obvious, but raspberry.

Taste: Also seems obvious, but raspberry. While having expectations may have skewed my perception, this is where the beer was lackluster for me. I enjoy sweet things but this was too sweet for me. There wasn't much offsetting the berry, like something tart, giving it a syrupy taste.

Feel: The nitro aspect makes this incredibly smooth and something that I did like about the beer. It was redeeming.

I loved this beer, probably my most favorite. Very summery and fruity with that beer taste still involved

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoy this beer.
Aroma is very fruity with berries.
Taste is very smooth and fruity. It has a light and crispness that accompanies the fruit.
Really nice deep pink coloring to the beer as well. Not as light though as a normal fruity beer.

I absolutely love this beer. It is delicious and a really easy beer to drink. I also heard that if you mix it with Bells Oarsman ale it is incredible, so I did and it's true. Rubaeus is a beautiful red color when poured and retains a nice foamy head (if poured correctly). It gives a wonderful mouth feel during the first sip, similar to carbonation from pop. It is also a very sweet beer, which I enjoy for nights around a bonfire.

A great choice from Founders and make sure to try it while it is out on the shelves!

4.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a great beer. Raspberry flavors give it a nice sweet and slightly sour taste. Bordering on having too much raspberry but I like how sweet that makes it.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

Red in color. Smells sweet and like raspberries. Tastes the way that it smells-- sweet and like raspberries. Slightly sour and tart, but the flavors are not overpowering. The raspberry presence is not overpowering either. Overall, sweet, balanced and flavorful.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed raspberry taste very much! Good summer beer.

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

I was very nervous to try a "fruity" beer because I was worried about the sugar. I was wrong! This beer poured out as a deep red color, reminded me of a rye beer. The head was white and very large but settled quickly. The smell was of raspberry and natural fruits, made my tongue water. The taste was amazing! Natural sugar to complement the raspberry taste, still tasted like a "beer" and not a fruit drink. Very refreshing, I could not get enough! One of my absolute favorites now!

4.98/5  rDev +28.4%

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was very good! Probably my favorite Founder's beer. It had a strong berry flavor and was refreshing and pleasant. Although it was strong it went down very easy. Perfect for a warm day!

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this on draft at Summer House Santa Monica in a Pint. I really wasn't feeling this beer. I do like some fruity beers, but I feel this was way to fruity with nothing there to knock your socks off. You get tremendous amounts of raspberry flavors w/ a kool-aid red color to it. This just didn't do it for me and I probably won't order it again. Overall not my style of a beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of my favorite beers of all time! light red color and VERY fruity, fairly heavy but full of flavor.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can into a tulip.

Pours raspberry-hued and fizzy. A quick and fizzy head dissipates quickly. Something unique about the fizz and color combination.

Smells a bit funky... Maybe a bit of diaper but it's faint. Nutty and sweet before the tart raspberry arrives.

Taste is a major upgrade from the nose. Much more of what you want/expect from a raspberry ale. Up front is a vanilla, nutty, sweet malt that sets things up nicely for the tart berry.

Up front creaminess, sweet nuttiness, while a tart fruitiness carries throughout. Very light and almost spritzy. Something incredibly easy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

2.91/5  rDev -25%

Too sweet, not enough tart. Seemed to have potential to be quite good, was a let down. On the bright side, I bet chicks would dig it.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours dark pink with a light pink head of about one finger. The aroma is of fresh berries and some light funk. The taste is sweet upfront with some acidity and light bitterness following. Light body and a decent carbonation bite. A very refreshing and easy beer to drink.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%