Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Ratings: 3,524 |  Reviews: 757

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottled 07/20/13. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with nice label art and a branded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight at me local HEB grocery and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery - which makes some beers I love. 5.7% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of dull pink-grey colour. Okay thickness and creaminess; it's a bit wanting in fairness. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is below average - about 1.5-2 minutes at best.

Body colour is a clear translucent amber red of above average vibrance; it's got a nice rich glow to it. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks a bit darker than I expected - but good overall for a fruit beer.

Sm: Raspberry fruit extract/syrup. Mild floral hop character. Pilsner malts. Clean barley. Sugary raspberries. Cane sugar. Luckily, it's got a good berry aroma but never ventures into cough syrup territory. It's definitely on the sweeter side, though, and I'm a bit concerned that it might come off too syrupy like so many beers in the style. Although I do get some tartness - and even a kiss of sourness - off the back end. That tartness surfaces more and more as it warms, reassuring me. I'm excited to try it.

A pleasant fruity aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol or yeast character is detectable.

T/Mf: Plenty of raspberry - both natural raspberry notes and your usual fruit extract/fruit syrup notes. It does land on the sweet end (undoubtedly), but there's a nice tartness throughout which lends it needed depth and diversity of flavour. Pilsner malts give it an unobtrusive clean foundation. Ripe. It's got a good balance to it even if it is kind of one dimensional. It satisfies its aims; it's a tasty fruit beer. But this doesn't have a whole lot of complexity or subtlety. One could point to Delirium Red as a superior approach to this kind of beer.

Average depth and intensity of flavour. Above average duration of flavour for the style.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

It's got a crisp clean presence on the palate, and is adequately carbonated - though not perfectly. Chewy and sticky. Nice body. The mouthfeel suits the flavour profile generally well, but I don't know that it seems the brewers custom-tailored the texture to the taste. More acidity would really help it.

Not oily, biting, gushed, or hot. It flirts a bit too much with a syrupy character to quite be refreshing, even in 100 degree weather here in Texas.

Dr: I hoped for better given the brewery, but this isn't a bad beer by any means, and I'll enjoy finishing the four pack. An excellent beer for luring women and/or cider lovers into craft beer if they're not already fans. Hides its ABV nicely. It's a flavourful little fruit beer that has its place. It certainly won't be a fridge mainstay for me, but I can easily see myself buying it again in a certain mood.

That said, it's easy to read this as a cider/wine cooler/alcopop. There are better approaches to the style, and the price point isn't great.

High C+

3.67/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle

A- very dark sparkly pink....pretty? like a dark pink champagne

S- Something in it I just didn't like the smell, like old raspberry and dirty socks

T- The taste was much better than the smell, raspberry really shines through.

M- Light, crisp, and bubbly

O- My wife picked this one out, she thinks it smells like old dirty water, she loves Lambics. I thought the taste was ok for a fruit beer but the smell left me not wanting to put my nose near the glass. We both tested it but in the end dumped it.

Second Review:

After the glass sat on the counter all night, the funky odor was completely gone and it smelled wonderful like a sweet raspberry sauce that would go on ice cream. 2.0 up to a 3.5

The flavor was also improved, even though it was pretty good the first time. 3.0 up to a 3.5

Not sure we will buy it again, but if we do we will defiantly let it breath a few hours because it really improved the bottle we had...

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%