Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Reviews: 695 | Ratings: 3,280
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this at Downtown Wine and Spirits yesterday and bought a few bottles. Was disapointed that it was so carbonated upon initial pouring, not sure why it just immediately came out of the bottle and overflowed my glas. so much. There's a good deal left though, so here goes. Actually left pink cotton candy floss on the sides of my glass. Aroma is maybe it's best feature, this one really smells like fresh raspberries. Tastewise, I guess I expected more....I think the rasberries only show themselves in the finish. Upfront there's some malt, and a strange yeastiness (anything wild at all in this one??). It does appear to be unfiltered as colorwise, it is cloudy/dusty raspberry in color. It is tart, I don't really find it that sweet at all. Mouthfeel isn't bad.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Perfectly transparent dark rose body that pours with thin 1/2 finger foamy white head. Head almost instantaneously fades to a collar which holds the whole way down. Little to no lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- The nose is overpowered by a rush of tart raspberries. Sweet and sugary raspberries are present in the background.

T- Dry raspberry upfront with a sweet bready malt backbone. The raspberry becomes quite tart for the finish and the subtle malt backbone disappears for a moment. What lingers is a nice combination of tart raspberry and sweet malt.

M-Medium to high carbonation and light spritzy body-somewhat champagne like.

D- This is a good fruit beer and is surprisingly similar to both Great Divide and Celis Raspberry. Good for one drink but not something I'd like to have more than one of. I might pick this up when I find it again (not available in my area).

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Since a six pack of this brew is so damn expensive at my local packy (by the way the only one I have ever seen it at) I decided I'de pick up a single 12 ouncer to see if it was worth picking up the whole thing. Anyway, poured into a Triple Eight Vodka sampler glass (associated with Cisco brewery). Coloration was reddish, with a pink head that faded quickly. Just looking at the head fading made me think that this is one really carbonated beer. Aroma was definitely filled with rasberry, but I could also almost smell the vine that they came off of. The earth factor gave it a more realistic fruit beer characteristic I think. Taste was of tart rasberries, more green earth tastes. It sort of reminded me of rubarb pie in a way (guess that is appropriate considering the title). Mouthfeel was relatively light in body, but very easy to drink. Most of the time when I have Founders beers, I can immediately tell that it is one of theirs. If I was to do a blind sampling of this one however, I would have never guessed it came from Founders. Most of the time when I try fruit beers, they have a generic taste to them, but this one delivered in the end. By no means one of Founders best offerings, but I think i'de try it again.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Hazy red body, topped by three fingers of level white foam with a slight pink aura.

Plenty of raspberries in the nose.

Taste is sweet juicy raspberries, far more real than the "typical brewpub raspberry (American) wheat". And there is enough quality craft beer present that this is not like some super sweet wine cooler. Just don't look here for a detailed description of the non-raspberry portion of this potion.

Light to medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability - if you like raspberries.

If you're looking for quality fruit beers, definitely worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Founders snifter. Picked this up in a build your own pack since I didn't think I would need 4 of these.

Appearance is opaque, dark pink ruby. Translucent around the edges. The head quickly dissipated. In my snifter this beer looks like the skin of a plum.

Aroma is very light malt almost like a berlinner weisse. Lot's of raspberry that seems slightly tart.

Taste is sweet raspberry at first but it goes back and forth with sweetness and a mild raspberry tartness. There is also some light malt peeking through although the raspberry is for sure the focus. It reminds me of a raspberry popsicle from when I was younger.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Small bubbles that make it seem a little champagne-esque. Medium body and not as syrupy as I was expecting (which is a good thing).

Overall this is a great raspberry beer. From my memory I think it is less sweet than the NG Raspberry Tart. I'm glad this comes in a 12 oz and I'm glad I got this in a build your own pack. Satisfying beer but this style isn't one I go far too often.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Rübæus pours a blood-red cranberry color, accented with some deeper crimson in the center. Exceptional clarity - very clean and sharp looking as it sits in the glass. It's capped with a pink-tinted cumulonimbus layer of foam that leaves back some chunky pieces of lacing and is very slow to digress into a skin. A very elegant looking beer.

Raspberry explosion. Very vibrant, this smells like freshly crushed raspberries, reduced and puréed. Aside from a faint, dry malt undertone in the finish, the aroma is all raspberries... It isn't exactly "complex", but the fruit is done pretty well. Unfortunately, there's a mild chalkiness that makes its way in as the beer warms up, but it's nowhere near as potent as, say, Cerise.

"Raspberry juice" is the first thing to come to mind when I take a sip. Soft and sweet with a light residual sweetness backing up the explosion of raspberry flavors. A mild tartness just tingles the back of the tongue but stays far from the realm of "sour". The sweetness is very controlled and apparent all at once - very juicy and jam like in the finish. Raspberries as far as the palate can taste.

The only other things I can possibly identify other than raspberry spin-offs would be some very light, dry grassy notes, but even then, I may just be reaching for something else. Otherwise, this beer is dominated by raspberries, up and down. Again, not the most complex or revealing beer out there, but who needs complexity when you've got raspberries like this? The mouth feel is thin-medium and kind of slick and oily with medium-high carbonation and a nice snap.

Very good fruit beer. Much, much better than its "sister" beer, Cerise. Luckily, the taste didn't include many of the chalky notes I was eventually getting in the aroma, so that's a big plus. Refreshing and easy-going, drinks more like a wine cooler than a beer, but it tastes great and I love raspberries, so I don't care. I'd love to see Founders make this an "every year" specialty.

EDIT: 7/7/2013

After having had quite a few more bottles of this beer this summer, I've come a cross a few that have a slight chalkiness and medicinal character to them. Nothing like Cerise, just a twinge in the background at times. Other bottles seem to be completely void of this, however, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Still a great beer, but maybe not as perfect as I thought it was at first.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Murky reddish brown with active but wispy carbonation.

The smell is one dimensional, but it's distinct and strong. Sugary raspberry puree. Raspberry jam. Sweet, sweet raspberry.

To no surprise, the flavor is entirely sweet raspberry. It's wine cooler-esque and sugary sweet.

Mouthfeel is light and prickly with carbonation. A sweet sensation is left on the tongue.

It's entirely one dimensional, but still enjoyable. A good summer beer and if you like raspberries, it's certain you'll like this.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Love the raspberry color as its bright and appropriate. The head was bright white which offset the redness of coloring very well.

The scent was sweet candy raspberry but a metallic aroma accompanied the sweetness.

The taste is rather one dimensional but in its simplicity is the beauty. Sweet, sugary raspberry flavor dominates, as it should, with a backdrop of champagne. This doesn't take on much of a beer taste but simply holds true to the raspberries that are added. I guess one thing I found alluring was that the taste was a more natural fruit flavor and less the syrupy artificial flavoring in others of the genre.

I'm glad I got to try it as it set a nice break from the norm.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Opaque reddish hue. Not as clear as I thought it would be.

Smell: I can really smell the raspberries. Smells like alcohol and raspberry juice.

Taste: Little bit tart right away, from the raspberries, but not as sweet as a lambic.Very refreshing without feeling light.

Mouthfeel: Tingly from the carbonation but not sour.

Overall: This is very different from a lambic or a sour beer! It's heavy for something so fruity, in a good way.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer has very little reddish head and leaves a thin coating on afterwards. The beer itself is a dark ruby and purple color.

Raspberries!! Some sugar as well. The beer smell is not as sugary as some other beers because some of the tartness and funk that comes with raspberries is there.

Completely different from the smell. Some of the raspberry tartness and funk is still there but those flavors seem to be overpowered by the sugar. The beer seems to be closest to a sugary lambic than anything else. I also get bits of light malt.

Light bodied with biting carbonation and bit watery. The beer has a dry finish.

An okay fruit beer and much better than most other fruit beers that I've had.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%

very reddish purple in color with an aroma full of fruit and an outstanding raspberry taste to finish it off. Some might say that it has too much raspberry, but I would disagree

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to maximum12 for this extra. Pours opaque magenta, very dark with a big wispy two finger high head of strawberries and cream. Retention is pretty good for a fruit beer and leaves good amounts of lacing on the glass.

Alot of husky, raw grains here, some wet paper bag, raspberry juice provides sweetness and the finish has some balancing musty earth in it.

Sweet fresh raspberry juices finally make an appearance balanced with some bready pale malts. Mild tartness on the finish with some yeasty residue helps to cleanse the palate. Very simple and well executed fruit beer.

Medium body that is lightened up the the natural tartness of the raspberries added. Carbonation is pretty muted. Alcohol blends will with the fruit giving it a crisp finish and feel much like a low carbed cider.

A very juicy and nice fruit beer. Raspberry being my favorite helps alot, the balance between the natural tartness of the fruit and sweetness is clinging on the edge of being too sweet but it works.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks go out to hoppymeal for this one.

After dispensing the beverage into a pint glass, I read some recent reviews to see if my experience mirrored that of others on this site. However, my experience didnt :( Poured a hazy, amber color with nothing but foam. My first pour evicted one inch of beer and 5 inches of head. After waiting 4 or 5 minutes, the head dissipated slightly and I was able to fit another two ounces in the pint glass. Finally, after about 10 minutes, I was able to fit all of the beer in the glass. I am not sure if this one got infected or what, but there is WAY too much carbonation here.

Aroma was pleasant and sweet. Definitely raspberry in the nose. Smells tart yeat sweet, like a raspberry tart. Other than the raspberry, not much going on. However, I did enjoy the aroma.

Quite tart tasting. Actually, very tart. I enjoy some tartness in a beer every now and again. I enjoy most lambics and this seems like it could fit in that category quite easily. Lots of raspberry. Somewhat sweet as well.

I enjoyed this beer. I had not idea what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Besides the excessive foam, this was a pretty good beer. Dry in the finish and a little overcarbonated. Certainly a good summertime beer. Very enjoyable.

Poured into a tulip glass at The Courtyard Brewery, NOLA

A: Raspberry red in color, opaque, with a pinkish half finger head that lingers.

S: Malty raspberries, sweet, summery. Just a tad below cough syrup.

T: The raspberries really shine thorough. Not overpowering. A sweet, sensual sipper to be enjoyed in the great outdoors. Slightly medicinal, but not overpowering.

M: Light to medium with low carbonation. Wet and wild.

O: Glad I got to try this one. An interesting dessert beer. I bet this would mix well with a sweet wine.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Beet/pomegranate colored with a purplish head that rises up quickly and sinks down low. Sweet and tangy aroma of raspberry. Flavor is a sweet and tangy raspberry right upfront, with a dry sweet-tart finish. Raspberry flavor lingers long on the palette. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, very satisfying, with a crisp finish. I'm having trouble picking out any other flavors, the raspberry is so all-encompassing. Tasty beer, but a bit low on the drinkability scale for me due to the shock and awe of the raspberry flavor throughout the glass. Thanks to BuckeyeNation for sharing.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Either I had a funky glass or this stuff is seriously pressurized, cuz when I popped the cap on this one, let's just say science fair volcano here. After the geological event subsided, I was left with an attractive fuscia colored beer with a light pink head. Paris Hilton would be proud. The nose is the winner here, a bouquet of sweet fresh raspberries. The taste, while complex, didn't sit with me quite as well. A transition from cloyingly sweet to puckeringly tart left my palate exhausted, with a slight lingering "beer" aftertaste. Kinda reminded me of the sparkling juice I used to have to drink on new year's eve when I was young. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, but the super sweet/super tart thing made this a one at a timer for me. A nice fruit beer here, but I've had better.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass

A: Crystal clear and ruby red. The head dissipates quickly to a thin bubbly collar leaving no lacing.

S: Sweet raspberry with a touch or tartness.

T: Big upfront raspberries, sweet but not overly with a nice tart, dry finish. A very fruity beer that hides its 5.7% very well.

M: medium-light body and lots of carbonation yet still smooth.

O: A very good fruit beer, light, refreshing and very easy drinking. Maybe a bit nm the sweet side for my tastes.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

355ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

Look: Pours a dark red/burgundy with a bubbly pink head that settles down to a bit of surface foam. No lacing to speak of. Probably served slightly too warm, but hey ho.

Smell: Raspberry, oddly enough - it hits you pretty much as soon as you've got the cap off the bottle and is a little bit overpowering to begin with. Once poured, it manages not to smell like cough syrup, and there's a bit of malt hiding behind the fruit.

Taste:Whilst it might not smell like cough syrup, it does taste a bit like it. True, there's the zingy bitterness of raspberries and a hint of malt, but really the fruit flavour is kind of overpowering.

Feel: Slightly syrupy and cloying, not helped by the light carbonation. OK, some of this will, no doubt, be down to the fruit but even so it's hard going.

Overall: I tried to like this, really I did - I've read good things about it, and Founders in general, so was immensely disappointed with the overpowering raspberry-ness of it. Somehow it comes out tasting rather artifical, although in the interests of full disclosure I prefer kriek-style beers anyway. Sadly, in the UK at least, a proper Belgian frambozen is easier to track down and ultimately better tasting too. Disappointing.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

A - A hazy rhubarb color with an explosion of pink foam everywhere. This one has quite the head on it. It is real bubbly in the beginning almost like champagne.

S - All raspberries in this one, a little tart, some malt aroma, not sweet or syrupy at all.

T - Starts of as sweet raspberry and then quickly transitions to tart raspberries and a slight bitterness. Slight malt backbone through the whole thing. It leaves quite an after taste.

M - Just like champagne. Crisp and very bubbly/carbonated with a very dry finish.

D - A good fruit beer that would probably be even better on a hot day.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pink head. Color is a dark raspberry purple/pink.

Flavor is dominated by raspberries. Very fruity. A little tart. Very fresh. Some malts show, but not a lot. No hops show. No alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Tart. Light bodied. Decent amount of carbonation. Very clean.

Overall, an enjoyable raspberry beer. Easy to drink. I wouldn't want more than a bottle however, because it is kind of sweet.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

S - 12 oz bottle with a Sept or Aug notch.

A - Pours a clear ruby with a white slightly pink head that sticks well around the edges, Very soft looking.

S - Raspberries, citrus maybe lime, slightly hoppy. enjoyable, nothing extraordinary.

T - Sweet raspberry, tart, malt on the back end, really nice. Good balance, very refreshing.

M - Nice tannin like dryness with a good malt coat.

D - Very easy to drink, the tart may become a little bit overbearing but overall good.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very strong vibrant raspberry nose. The sweetness was very high and almost over the top. It was a good thing I had this one with my dessert. The drinkability was very high, but I have a feeling that having more than one might be too much sweetness.

Not one of the best offerings from an amazing brewery, but it was a nice change of pace from the world of IPAs, stouts, etc.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to jtrockchalk for cleaning out his cellar. Thats how this 2 year old puppy came into my hands.

Poured a 12oz bottle into Fling Saucer globe. I guess this has been discontinued for a while but since I wont have the opportunity to try this again, I figured I would give it a review. This beer pours a mashed raspberry red with a decent 2 inch head that leaves just a little bit of lacing. From the reviews I've read before, the aroma has kind of dwindled off. Crush sweet raspberries with a little bit of pilsner malt. That's all that really comes through. The flavor is much the same. Crushed sweet raspberries mixed with a light malt flavor. Just a slight hint of oxidization which is a bit surprising because most of the older twist top Founders bottles I've had have a heavy layer of cardboard. The mouthfeel is light leaving a lingering raspberry on the palate. Over all this is a good beer. I would have like to have it fresh.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to krl2112 for sending this bottle! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a TBBC pint glass.

A: Dark red - almost magenta - appears nearly opaque but is clear when held to light. Forms a thin light pink head with visible carbonation fairly low.

S: Sweet and fruity, with some grainy malt in the background (wheat and/or pilsner malt). Almost reminds me of a slightly tart fruit juice cocktail (raspberry cranberry juice?).

T: Sweet and mildly tart raspberries, again some wheat grainy and pilsner malt flavors, lightly tart with a moderately dry finish.

M: Medium body, a bit of a sticky mouthfeel, low alcohol presence and fairly low carbonation sensation.

O: Well, it's not going to be my favorite beer. But - it's really pretty good for a non-sour fruited beer, one of the better ones I've had. Recommended if you're in the mood for something a little different.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Beer House in Lombard, IL. Served in a pokal glass.

A: That's definitely a red beer, and not in the "looks amber" sense - much like the difference between someone with natural red hair versus someone who grabbed a bottle of Fire Engine hair dye. It's obviously more in the latter category. There was no head to speak of when this arrived, and it was also not much in the lacing department.

S: Tart fruit notes swell out of the glass, all berries and grapes, with no real indication that this is an actual beer. Granted, I was in a bar, so that may have affected my olfactory judgment, but this is a bar with no kitchen.

T: The taste category can be readily summed up in two simple words - "wine soda". This seriously drinks like a carbonated red wine, laden with tart berry and grape notes through the entire tasting process. There are some faints hints of malt beneath, and nothing so much as vaguely resembling the echo of a shadow of a whisper of a ghost of any hop presence (which I appreciate).

M: Light and fairly well carbonated.

O: An interesting experience for a fruit beer. I would likely repeat it at some point, though I doubt this would ever become a regular beer for me.

Founders Rübæus from Founders Brewing Company