Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Ratings: 3,506 |  Reviews: 751

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

A - Very deep ruby red color with small pinkish hue head. No head retention and weak lacing.
S - Smells like raspberry as expected. Smells very good.
T - Taste is off. First you get a hit of just "beer" taste. Then as that fades you get super sweet raspberry juice. The flavors just do not meld together until you drink enough of it but by then it is too late.
M - Light and fizzy not really in a good way. Almost like a sparkling fruit juice.
O - I say it is poor overall. If I am looking for a raspberry flavor like this I will go for a Lambic over this any day. This is similar to the Wild Red beer from AB.

2.53/5  rDev -35%

I had high hopes this would be closer to a raspberry lambic, but it is bubble-gum soda sweet...

2.53/5  rDev -35%

To sweet and thick. Taste like addes syrup.

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

2.55/5  rDev -34.4%

A- Pours a nice bright red color with a pinkish colored head that fell quickly leaving just a bubbly layer and little lacing.

S- Very very fruity. Raspberries raspberries and more raspberries.

T- Again very fruity and that's about all I could pick up. Not over powering just follow your nose.

M- Light to medium. Not too bad at all maybe a little dry to the finish

D- I suppose for the style its pretty nice just not me type of thing. Too fruity for me glad I got to try it.

2.62/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Being a big raspberry fan I bought a four pack of these and already tried it and not liked it but thought I'd review it anyway and not suprisingly it's a raspberry hue with a one finger head and some nice lacing,the smell is raspberry lollies that's it,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated and on taste I have to make sure I'm not drinking cool drink its basically a big sweet mess of raspberries everything else has no chance of getting through the only taste I get is raspberry jam and raspberry lollies and overall if you like lollies and sweet stuff then sure try it but ill never drink this one again cheers.

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Drank from the bottle, was offered one to try from my sisters husband, so I couldn't pour it.

Smelled fruity as the name would imply, not very much like an ale.

Tasted surprisingly tame, very raspberry flavor, but not too sweet or overpowering.

Had a nice feel to it, flavorful, full bodied.

Overall, for a fruit beer not too bad, not too strong in the fruit taste. Not my thing but it was okay.

2.66/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured bright pink with now head at all, lookes more like a wine cooler than a beer.

Smells like fresh tart raspberries.

Taste exactly like the smell, like raspberries, absolutely no standard beer flavors at all, no detectable malt, no hops, no yeast, just sweet and sour raspberries.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly slick

Overall the flavor isn't bad, but has absolutely no beer qualities, taste as much like beer as the Smirnoffs, Bacardi's, and Bartles and James of the world. I will avoid this one. The first let down I have had from founders.

2.67/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a ruby red color. Very effervescent with a white soda pop foam that dissapates to nothing. Aromas are mostly filled with raspberries, some biscuit malt, and a little alcohol. Hmm, flavor is super sticky, super sweet and basically an alcoholic raspberry syrup. Hops aren't particularly detected, nor are any malts used. Carbonation is too low; I feel a fruit beer should be crisp and light. This is quite a dissapointment, I expected something better. Alcohol and raspberry Italian soda, move on.

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

Red orange color, cloudy. Thin head but it leaves decent lace.

Very berry aroma. It's raspberry but slightly artificial. There's also a metallic smell behind the sweetness.

More sweet than tart, but all raspberry. One dimensional--you could call this a raspberry beer cooler. Needs cheese or something spicy to cut the soda aspects of this. The body is an improvement to the taste but typical.

To close to carbonated Kool-Aid for my liking.

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

This is the first beer I've had from Founders that I did not enjoy. I'm going against the grain big time, as I see nothing but positive things here and on other sites. But this is a sugary mess and I find it very ballsy to call this a beer.
Look: reddish pink with a white soapy head that had a pink hue to it
Aroma: little bit of raspberry and some malty character. Surprised I smelt no wheat, as I was expecting a beer made with fruit like this to have.
Taste: pure raspberry. Tart. No hop profile. Not remotely bitter. Just soda-level sweetness. Picture a raspberry soda but instead of being carbonated it has nitrogen.
Mouth feel: syrupy. And not the syrup like quality of a real thick stout. This is cough medicine syrupy. The nitrogen gives it a creamy aspect. That is the only redeemable quality for this "beer". No, I wouldn't call this a "chick" beer. More like a "kids" beer. Founders should get rid of the booze, carbonate it and sell it as soda. Maybe I'll buy it then. Founders is a favorite of mine. When I saw this on tap, I just "knew" it wouldn't be bad. I was dead wrong. Maybe I might enjoy it if I mix this with Breakfast Stout and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it, it might be a great beer. I may have made the mistake of drinking this before my meal instead of after, too.

look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, deep scarlet colored ale with a pinkish puffy head on top, slowly crackling away, compacting on itself. Pretty beautiful pour.

Smells like a typical raspberry beer. Sweet, lightly tart maybe. Grainy, husky notes in there...maybe a bit metallic.

Ok first sip was terrible. I don't know if that's because I just drank an IPA or what. But it tastes pretty off. Sweet, full bodied beer. Metallic for sure. The dreaded "artificial" taste that seems to plague most fruit beers. As the palate becomes more adjusted to the taste it is not as bad. Sweet, candy red raspberry flavor develops up front, and carries through till the end which is just a tad drier than the first sip. Leaves a sweetness on the lips. I get where they want to go with this. A fruit beer that's not a "light beer" but a robust, full flavored beer.

For someone searching for a beer that's not all that much like a beer, this would be a good option. Sweet, candy like beer that comes from a well known and respected brewer. I will not be trying this again, though I might recommend it to someone who is just easing into beer from the mixed drink category.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%