Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Ratings: 3,506 |  Reviews: 751
4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

3.49/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried one bottle and not a fan. Did not like the fruitiness of this beer. Good aroma and look but wasn't the beer that turns me on.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +24.4%

I had a nitro version poured on draft. This is by no means at all the same as the bottled beer. The draft nitro is ttulyboutstanding

L: the nitro caused a beautiful fountain of bubbles as it settled. Unbelievably pretty. It took several minutes for the head to fully form and the cloudy body to resolve into a beautiful thick red sour. Truly a beauty.

S: powerful raspberries as one would expect. Sweeter than some sours. Bright and fresh scent

T: so this one evolved as I worked my way through the nitro pour. It was creamy and astounding at first. Towards the bottom of the glass it became a bit more flat and simplistic. I guess I took to long to savor this one and ended up with a less enjoyable beer at the bottom of the glass.

F: Again, the nitro pour made an enormous difference in the context of this beer. This was a phenomal feel at first. The creamy lightness of a cloudy sour amazed my palette.

O: really really tasty and enjoyable. A great way to turn anyone in to any addict of sour beers. This one will not only have you coming back for more, it will make you seek it more sours to compare it to.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

Very impressed by this beer for a beginner female beer drinker. Fun to drink a beer that is an amber color with a slight deep pink to it. Definitely smelled just like raspberries and tastes like them too. The taste still contains some hoppiness and other subtle beer flavors; however, the raspberry comes through the most. Sweet, tart, smooth, refreshing, all while still tasting like a beer!

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.74/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Delicious summer beer, fresh raspberry taste.

3.5/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%

Love the sweet raspberry flavors Founders puts in its Rubaeus!

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap, nitro, at Tilia, into a Fulton snifter....pour is absolutely perfect, a big 2 finger thick creamy egg-shell white head on top of clear pinkish red body...massive lacing and excellent retention. Smooth bready notes married to a tart fruity feel. The visuals were worth it...which is just as well because the rest is ok but nothing too special. I love raspberries and this does them justice though it doesn't really highlight or exploit any specific dimension of the fruit. This is good but there's just noting special going on with the yeast, etc. doesn't compare with some of the better uses of raspberry around: NG, for example.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

This is the first beer I've had from Founders that I did not enjoy. I'm going against the grain big time, as I see nothing but positive things here and on other sites. But this is a sugary mess and I find it very ballsy to call this a beer.
Look: reddish pink with a white soapy head that had a pink hue to it
Aroma: little bit of raspberry and some malty character. Surprised I smelt no wheat, as I was expecting a beer made with fruit like this to have.
Taste: pure raspberry. Tart. No hop profile. Not remotely bitter. Just soda-level sweetness. Picture a raspberry soda but instead of being carbonated it has nitrogen.
Mouth feel: syrupy. And not the syrup like quality of a real thick stout. This is cough medicine syrupy. The nitrogen gives it a creamy aspect. That is the only redeemable quality for this "beer". No, I wouldn't call this a "chick" beer. More like a "kids" beer. Founders should get rid of the booze, carbonate it and sell it as soda. Maybe I'll buy it then. Founders is a favorite of mine. When I saw this on tap, I just "knew" it wouldn't be bad. I was dead wrong. Maybe I might enjoy it if I mix this with Breakfast Stout and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it, it might be a great beer. I may have made the mistake of drinking this before my meal instead of after, too.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10%

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.44/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.46/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I don't usually do the fruity beers but this was an oddball beer on tap at the restaurant today, I like raspberry so figured I'd try one for 'dessert'. On a nitro tap so watched as the glass filled with foam and settled before the bartender topped it off. Pour was a clear deep pink almost red with an inch of white/slightly pink head. Smell was all raspberry, tastes like raspberry sherbet. Not something I'd drink several of back to back but a nice change from my usual IPAs.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%