Founders Rübæus | Founders Brewing Company

Founders RübæusFounders Rübæus

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This brew achieves its unique raspberry taste by the addition of only fresh raspberries at five seperate stages in the brewing process.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2005

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,552 |  Reviews: 761
3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A four pack purchased from Whole Foods. This just hit the Houston market.

A: Pours a dark ruby red color. A two finger pink head forms with good retention and lace.
S: Sweet and jammy raspberry. A hard candy like sweetness, and that is about it. Simple, and to the point.
T: Up front the only thing here is raspberry jam and sweet hard candy. The sweetness lingers on for a while. Though at the very end of the finish is some toasted malt and bread crust.
M/D: A medium body with high carbonation. A bit sticky and syrupy from all the fruit additions. Fairly easy to drink. Once I adjust to the big sweetness, I can take deep gulps. The reasonable ABV helps as well.

Overall not bad at all. I have had other fruit beers I liked better. This is an easy drinking and fairly simple version, and pretty refreshing in this Texas heat. I will enjoy the rest of my four pack.

Picked up at Whole Foods in Chicago for $9.99 a 4 pack.

Pours a clear reddish pink, medium white head forms, some lace spots, thin layer forms, disappears to a thin ring. Smell is sweet, lots of raspberries, bready, general fruit, strawberries, not very complex but nice. Taste is similar, sweet malt, some caramel, very fruity, tons of raspberry flavour, nice fruity finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. The raspberries are slightly tart, nicely done fruit beer.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In a snifter this beer was the color of grape juice. There was a very small white head.

Very sweet fruit aroma.

A pronounced raspberry taste.

Very, very sweet.

I'm not much for fruit beers; generally they're too sweet for my taste. This one was really sweet, and not that enjoyable. Like drinking a non-carbonated soda.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opened on 10.25.13
06/19/13? Partially rubbed off

A - Pours a cloudy ruby red with a fizzy pink head that fades fast.

S - Sweet raspberry and malty.

T - Super sweet raspberry, hard to get much else.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Very sweet and fruity. A bit syrupy. ok.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks! Pours a deep almost neon pinkish red with a very small slightly pink head that recedes quickly. Aroma of sour berries and funk, with more malt presence than I expected (silly me for expecting a Blushing Monk type of brew). Flavor is big bold raspberry with some other flavors mixing in that I can’t put my finger on. A definite malt presence in the finish. Dry finish and plenty of carbonation. More like Cerise than Blushing Monk. Solid overall, but not spectacular.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Red color with no head whatsoever.
Predominant raspberries aroma with a caramel backing up. Hints of vinegar.
Flavor full of raspberries with pleasant tartness and salt notes. Although it does not seem like, it is quite malty. Hints of white wine, pear and a bit something like the flowery Indian drink Gulab Sharbat. Dry aftertaste.
Medium body with low carbonation.
Not a heavy sour, it is a friendly Fruit beer, but by no means boring, especially if you like the style once in a while.
I would like to taste it a bolder version, tuning up other than raspberries notes, or unbalancing it a bit.

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a four pack of Founder's Rubaeus a couple days ago for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, so I jumped at the chance to finally try this beer, so I quickly went to the store and got a four pack, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 6/6/13 so it's pretty damn fresh. Poured from a shorter 12oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks really nice. it's got a real clean and classy look to it that I really like, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice and different maroon color that took a on a great crimson hue when held to the light that made it look like cranberry juice with two fingers worth of light pink colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it it left some nice looking lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, the color was really nice and so was the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by lots of Raspberry aromas that seem to be pretty natural smelling and it reminds me exactly of the raspberry jelly that is often used in jelly filled donuts. Up next I get a slight bit of grainy malts but not much. The aroma isn't very complex or balanced but I think it pretty good and it's full of great Raspberry aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of Raspberry which impart a nice and natural flavor that really reminds me of the filling of a jelly donut, it's pretty much spot on. Up next comes some malts which impart a grainy malt flavor with some bready flavors sticking out, the combination makes me think of a lightly toasted piece of white bread with some Raspberry preserve spread on it. On the finish there's no bitterness with a light amount of medium tartness taking it's place and a little more sweetness with a very raspberry preserve like aftertaste. The taste was pretty good, it was very true to it's name, but I think the extra sweetness holds it back a little.

M- Smooth, clean, not filling, pretty refreshing, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, I haven't had a Raspberry beer that I really enjoyed, till I had this one, it was a little on the sweet side, but the tartness and raspberry flavors were really nice. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, not filling, refreshing and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but the sweetness would prevent me fore drinking a lot of this, I think two would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both really nice and full of raspberrys. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, it was a little high and if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again, if they choose to release it again, it's priced and right and it's pretty enjoyable, I recommend this to people who like fruit beers and if your a big fan of raspberrys then this beer is a must try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did a great job at capturing the pure essence of the raspberry, so far it's my favorite raspberry beer and I like it much more than Cerise, it's got to be one of the better fruit beers I have had. Founders seems to be the jack of all trades, they can do stouts, barrel aged beers and hoppy beers really well and now they proved to me that they have some skills when it comes tor fruit beers, good work guys.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

12 ounce bottle, part of a 4 pack purchased at Eagle River Liquors in Fulton, Illinois.

Pours like a lightly carbonated Juicy Juice. This may seem like an insult but remember that Juicy Juice was the juice that was 100% juice and so wasn't all unnaturally fluorescent. Still it's kind of dull.

Smells like fresh, juicy raspberries. Nice. Everyone likes those. But that's all it smells like. There's nothing else there. Just big, firm raspberries. Is this juice? I mean, it's pleasant but there should be at least a little beeriness, right?

Tastes like a really firm and juicy raspberry lambic only with none of the yeast funk (and none of the yeast). It's very creamy and smooth. Tastes more like a raspberry smoothy than anything else. Big, big fruit, the teeniest bit of an ambiguous middle that tastes like neither malt nor yeast but is probably beer or else something resembling beer. Then more raspberries. This is still a wonderful taste and still pretty complex, but it's not quite up to the level of the New Glarus beers I assume it's trying to imitate.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear ruby when pouring, some carbonation, two finger head with a pinkish hue.

S-Lots and lots of raspberries. The raspberry scent is natural and great, but nothing else.

T-Lots and lots of raspberries (again). Maybe too sweet, but very natural tasting. As it warms becomes too sweet.

M-Lighter nicely carbonated.

O-Too sweet and very one dimensional. Still an upgrade from Cerise, but too sweet for me.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy reddish pink color. The head is a two finger Jigglypuff shade that doesn't feature the best retention. Spotty lacing is left behind.

S: Raspberry. That's kind of it, really, but it's a nice singular note regardless.

T: The flavors are primarily raspberry juice and cream. Those flavors are nice, but it's kind of one note to a fault. I really don't have much to say other than this one would do better on a hot day.

M: Medium body, sweet finish, high carbonation. This feel is so average, it's leaving me at a loss for words.

O: I think I preferred Cerise to this one. I've been looking to try this for a while now, so in that regard, this is a mild letdown. Of course, this beer's monotony means I don't have to write a long review. Wooo.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz glass into a St Bernardus chalice. Bottles 2 June 2015.
4/4.5/4.25/3.75/4
Murky-clear auburn.
It smells super-raspberry-y. Very much so. A mild beeriness underlies it.
It's magnificent. A little on the sweet and syrupy side, but there's juust enough redeeming tartness to keep it enjoyable. Very little carbonation, and the aftertaste is mostly sticky fruit preserves.
Overall, a really enjoyable beer...IF you like raspberries. Which I do. :)

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%