Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
4.02/5
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,761 |  Reviews: 1,323
2.86/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev -28.6%

Sampled Fresh

Aroma - Way sweet smell with no noticeable hop characteristics.

Appearance - Cloudy reddish brown with no I mean no carbonation.

Taste - Sweet cherries and then the bite of alcohol. This beer really needs to be sipped and also needs to hit the tip of your tongue. I got some raisin flavors near the end.

Mouthfeel - Not a light beer. Without carbonation this beer just lays there.

Drinkability - I can't imagine drinking more than one of these at a time. I hope this beers improves over the next three years in my cellar.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

12 oz bottle pours a dark amber color with a nice off white head with large bubbles that leaves some lacing in my glass. Strong bourbon aromas, vanilla, oak and bourbon flavors, a bit to strong for me. Full bodied with a soft and creamy mouthfeel, finishes dry. The whiskey flavor is about all I get from this.

2.91/5  rDev -27.6%

curmudgeon

a 4-4.5 generally clear rosy amber. one inch creamy head slowly settles to a cap, decent lace. a very typical founders look.

s 3-3.5 rather gentle on the nose. cherries, light breadyness. the cherry unfortunately has sort of an artificial, cough drop quality. also a fair amount of alcohol in the nose.

t 2.5-3 for a big beer this is very delicate, kinda belgian trippel-like. that applies mostly to the mouthfeel, really, but the mouthfeel dominates the flavor in this one. if it weren't for the ultra creamy mouthfeel, the alcohol notes would boldly overwhelm, not being accompanied by other bold flavors to tame them. there is a hint of toastyness, a touch of the cherry coughdrop essence, not a lot going on. pretty disappointed in this one.

m 4-4.5 delicate and creamy, so soft it's like a latex pillow. not what i was expecting from an old ale, but nice in its way. if only it had better flavor embedded in it.

o 2.5 had hoped for much more. not expecting age to work miracles, but i will wait and see with the other bottles.

2.91/5  rDev -27.6%

Reviewed on 06/05/2009. Bottle at PPRBSG09. This beer pours a cloudy orange. Aroma of sweet malt and vegetal notes. The flavor is equally gross (although slightly mellower) but still lots of sweet sticky malt and vegetation. This beer was not my thing at all...

2.92/5  rDev -27.4%

I had this on tap at a special Founders event at the local bar.

The bar served this in a mini goblet. This beer is the proper tan/brown that you would expect from an old ale. The head was minimal and there was nice alcohol feet.

The foam yielded down to a simple scum on the glass. You could see minimal carbonation on this, which isn't a surprise for the style.

I smell tobacco, caramel, yeast, and some malt. It smelled very rich.

Curmudgeon really fell off with the first taste. There was a ton of alcohol in it. It really wasn't pleasant. You get a little bit of scotch. I had a ton of burn from the alcohol and visibly winced with each sip. The after-taste was all alcohol throughout my mouth.

I really didn't care for this beer. It was surprising since I enjoyed so much Founders in the past.

2.94/5  rDev -26.9%

This beer has its virtues, but it is not an enjoyable experience. The appearance is a nice cloudy amber brown with lots of yeasty bits floating about. The head is off white, retains a bit, not much lacing. The aroma is profoundly whisky alcohol, dark and heavy fruits, such as fig, rind, apricot, raisin. This is a full bodied beer, quite syrupy in consistency, and just plain thick and overly sweet. There is also an oaky aged quality to the beer. The taste mimics the aroma. You'll get the full gamut of heavy fruit flavors, a cloying candied sugar sweetness, and a syrupy thickness that is just over the top, and that oaky aged quality that is more apt in a bourbon. The killer for me is the alcohol throaty burn. I feel like I'm drinking a sweet whisky drink and it just burns on the way down. This is the type of beer that leaves me with a heartburn afterwards. It's just not drinkable as a beer. For a 9.3% ABV, this tastes like it is thrice that much. Way too much alcohol, and not my cup of tea at all. It's too bad, because the beer does have its virtues, just not as it is presently consistituted. The aftertaste is just doing me in. If I wanted a sweet whisky concoction, I would have mixed one myself.

2.94/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

pours a dark orange thick looking brooding ale with minimal head and lacing..the smell is strong its malts and caramel with some banana and vanilla bean smells the taste is strong its a malt driven ale with a strong alcohol taste almost to me like a liquor i detect some bourbon and toffee its thick ..the mouhfeel is full bodied malty and sweet with the b4 mentioned tastes and smells.founders is an outstanding brewery with many on my rotation.. this old ale is a sipper and not my style or preference..all though i can tell its well made its just not my thing low scores are due to this not the quality of this ale or the brewer

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

Cloudy copper - raisins and malty yeast aroma, so nice and comforting - quite hoppy for the style making it a unique ale - rich and complex - boozy in the middle - dried cherries/raisin/touch of vanilla/bourbon - finishes a little too sweet for my liking

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

On tap at hunahpu's day

A: Deep red with a thin head. Looked like it should have been a good drink...

S: Lots of honey and alcohol. Little hints of fruit

T: Not very good. I definitely taste honey but also wood, alcohol, and viney taste that does not taste good.

M: I guess it's good enough. Not enough to make up for the taste though.

D: If you like the taste then I guess drinkable. For me I had to labor.

2.99/5  rDev -25.6%

Pleasant opaque amber, honey and bright dark fruit aroma set the background of this beer.
First taste: sweet, bright apricot and dark fruits with the right amount of booze, along with the dark bread, toffee and some biscuit malt sweetness that’s trying to push away the very strong hop content in this beer. Carbonation is just right and the aftertaste is pleasant with dark bread, toffee and some stale hops.
Second taste: More apricot, more bitter than usual, but the aftertaste does have dark grains. Third taste: Slightly more or less bitter with a variety of darker flavors vying for the best in the palette. A splash of honey is also added to the profile.
Nevertheless, this is still too hoppy for the style. I recommend the many versions of the Olde Ale/Special Reserve from Alesmith Brewing Company. If you’re the type hankering for some high-alcohol sippers, I recommend the Barrel Aged Numbskull from Alesmith Brewing Company, Rye-on-Rye from Boulevard Brewing Company and the Vanilla Bean Stout from Avery Brewing.

This reminds me a lot of the Arrogant Bastard Ale, or at least, the way Arrogant Bastard used to be - a little on the harsh side, except that this beer suffers from a startling lack of complexity and interesting flavors.

Appearance: Medium cloudy, brown

Smell: Primarily caramel with some hops

Taste: Bitter molasses and caramel with a slight medicinal aftertaste. Molasses less pronounced than I thought it would be. Perhaps this style just isn't for me, but I'm not the biggest fan of the taste here. Mainly I just don't like the aftertaste, it tastes like the beer is immature or too much bittering hops were added.

Mouthfeel: Doesn't go down easy. Pretty harsh.

I'm a big fan of Founders but I gotta call it like it is. This brew just isn't that great. It would be one thing if suffering through the harsh mouthfeel and weird aftertaste led to something great, but this beer is pretty one-dimensional.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) from Founders Brewing Company