Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
4.02/5
Exceptional
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,769 |  Reviews: 1,325

3.98/5  rDev -1%

UPDATE: I'm having to downgrade my quick rating of 7/13/12 (4.25).

Pours a brandy brown , with a nice off-white head that sticks around pretty well.

The aroma seems to really hold back. What little one gets is sweet malt and dark dried fruits, prune in particular. A whiff of banana taffy.

Definitely the best old ale I've tried, though I think I've now determined I don't like old ales. This beer approaches the general vicinity of sweetness. But other flavors dominate: wet cardboard, mild leather, rum. Hop bitterness? I think so, though certainly a refracted hop flavor. And what sweetness there is is of the cloying variety.

Great mouth feel. Smooth, well-carbonated, viscous. The abv definitely introduces itself.

I can intellectualize the quality of good old ales. But I think I just don't like them. This one definitely carries a much less offensive combo of cardboard and leather I've seen in others, like North Coast Old Stock or Anchor Old Foghorn (wait, that's an English barley wine). I actually love Bell's Old Ale, so, what're ya gonna do?

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.9/5  rDev -3%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.86/5  rDev -4%

a - a beautiful beer. Head dissipates rapidly, probably because of the alcohol content.

s - the most disappointing part of the beer. Very light malty aroma or oak character here. Does have the characteristic treacle aroma, but I would have liked more complexity.

t - delicious, with dark fruit, malt and some oak character in the finish. The hot alcohol flavor and hop bite in the finish detract from the enjoying of the flavor, however.

m - velvety and smooth.

o - another fine offering from Founders! I'm hoping aging will mellow the hot alcohol flavors...they definitely have a "headache" flavor. I hope it relaxes into the body in a few months.

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled 2/06/14 and poured 4/15/14. $3.49 a single.

Appearance: Pours a "quiet" red/orange color with a nice off-white head and lacing at the start.

Smell: Wow. Dark fruits, barrel, molasses sweetness, oak... just as I expected from the label and style. There's also a slight hint of booze as well.

Taste/feel: Just looking at it in the glass, it looks sweet. That's probably just because I know there's molasses in it though. This beer is sweetsweetsweet, which you should figure if you know the style, see that this beer is brewed with molasses, or see that the IBUs are "only" 50 IBUs. Molasses, candied dark fruits, oak, rich and heavy caramel malts with a bit of a toasted malt aftertaste with an underlying subtle bitterness to keep it from being sickly sweet. Just looking at it in the glass should give you an idea of how it feels. Very mild carbonation with a pretty full body. Some would call it "flat", but it's a mild carbonation that I'm liking for this beer. Also, the body is big, but it's not to the point where it's syrupy/cloying. Then again, the nice depth of flavor also helps that. Don't get me wrong, it IS a very sweet beer, but it's not a chore to drink by any means. 9.8% is hidden perfectly as well.

Overall, an incredibly tasty choice for those who dig a big, bold, malty, sweet beer. It may not be something that I'd personally drink very often (I'm already a "ticker" as it is...), but there is absolutely no denying that this is a phenomenal beer that warrants a try to any beer aficionado. I may go buy myself another single just to see how this thing ages. It is sweet as hell, but it is equally as tasty.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) from Founders Brewing Company