Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,743 |  Reviews: 1,319

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled: 2/15/13
Drank: 2/11/14

A- Dark reddish, brownish amber in the glass. Poured a gorgeous creamy 2 finger head. Awesome sticky lacing. Some floaties in there as well.

S- Extremely inviting. Rich caramel and molasses, raisins, woodsy oak, vanilla, bourbon, and a little bit of pine on the back end.

T- Very nice. Big caramel, molasses, and dark fruit up front, giving way to slight bourbon, oak, pine, a touch of vanilla, and earthy hop spice. Super subtle alcohol burn and citrus rind on the finish.

M- Lighter side of thick body. Creamy and smooth. Slightly drying with a very nice aftertaste.

O- Don't you just love it when you drink a beer not expecting to like it, but walk away with a new favorite? I. Loved. This. Beer. Super balance, huge decadent flavors, and awesome complexity. I will be buying a sixer as soon as humanly possible.

2.52/5  rDev -36.8%

From twelve ounce bottle states bottled 04/13/12.

This beer is a New style for me and I was not sure what to expect. Also, from the date, perhaps too old old ale! That said,
Aroma was a boozy, sweet caramel. Poured headless , cloudy ruddy body. Holding to light shows floating particulates. Taste is alcoholic and bitter/acidic. Overall : Nasty!

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Must have drank hundreds of these. I Having said that, I feel these are best just above freezing and from the bottle. Sorry.

For me the drinkability of this old ale is what sets it apart from the crowd. These go down way too easy for me. I am usually a stout sipper but sometimes I just want to get drunk. When I am in that kind of mood this is my go to beer. Served just above freezing, these provide me with a great tasting malty beer that gets the job done quick. For me the best tasting most complex beer I can drink in large quantities.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%