Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
4.02/5
Exceptional
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,772 |  Reviews: 1,326

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

The pour was almost like a dirty pilsner minus some stock colors. Seriously, the beer had a nice color, not deep, not light, but just really nice.

It had a nice nose, there was a definite feeling of alcohol here, but at the same time a kindred spirit of the seas. As I was drinking my first one, there was no question how soft, round and easy it was to drink this

I never knew what OLD Ale was in terms of a type, but after drinking this, I can understand it a little better. There was a good feel to the oaked barrel aging of this. I did not feel all the sweetness I would have expected from molasses. But, it did play a part at the finish

This Old ale was very deceptive. It presented itself with a nose that seemed brisk and alive, then the taste was so very soft, a bit on the sweet side, then the finish had the taste of oak.

Very interesting to say the least I think this has been one of the more complex beers that I've tasted

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought a few 4 packs of this several years and wasn't too impressed, but I held on to them, and am I glad I did! Several months ago I opened up a 2011 and was very happy I did. I actually had to fish the bottle out of the trash to make sure it was the beer I thought I had just opened. Fortunately it was still readily available on the shelves so I picked up a few more, knowing I'd then be able to enjoy them in a few years!

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

A-Pours a deep amber color that is hazy and impermeable with a light brown middle. Head is thin, but consists of thick, creamy foam. Lotta lacing here.

S-You definitely pick up on the oaked note at first. It mingles nicely with sweet molasses, a slight burnt char, dark fruits and a touch of booze. Well balanced all the way through the nose.

T-Sweet molasses and dark fruit hit the front of the palate as it fades into a slight bitterness at the middle. Finishes with a semi-bitter flavor that rounds out the sweetness well. Lingering booze.

MF-Full-bodied, creamy and thick. Finishes smooth and wet

O-My first Old Ale and I am pleasantly surprised. A lot like a BDA but with a nice oaked nuance. Well balanced on all aspects. Founders did it again.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle obtained on trade (thanks, Greg Radawich!)., poured into my Ghandi-Bot snifter (again, thanks, Greg Radawich!), 2012 vintage but dates obscured on bottle, drank 10/9-10/13 over several hours while homebrewing.

A: 2/3 - ruby-red-to-brown coloration, solid clarity for such high ABV (but cannot see or read through), poured with a frothy white head that resolved into glass lacing; moderately carbonated with moderate alcohol legs

S: 9/12 - plums, raisins, figs, alcohol...nice!

T: 16/20 -up front, I picked up mostly complex malt flavors that accompanied the nose; in the middle of the mouth, there is some balancing bitterness and alcohol flavors to prevent the beer from venturing into too-cloying land; little aftertaste, invited sip after sip

M: 4/5 - big, chewy old ale character; moderately bodied and carbonated as expected

O: 8/10 - really nice old ale/barleywine from one of the best breweries in the country; will certainly improve with age, as the complex malt character would really start to pop even more at years 2+; recommended and for trade if you cannot get it in your region

TOTAL = 39/50