Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
Liked This Beer
4.02 w/ 4,754 ratings
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Liked:
4.02/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,754 |  Reviews: 1,323

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

a "chunky" amber pour.. lots of floating sediment, slight white rim of head. smells almost like a barley wine, very sweet malty profile, caramel, plum, vanilla. smells pretty boozy. tastes much like a very strong barley wine mixed with some scotch. not sure if this is bourbon barrel aged or what, but it definitely tastes that way.. bourbon, oak, vanilla, tons of barley, caramel, banana, plum, raisins. a full bodied ale with some, but not a whole lot of carbonation. very heavy, boozy, thick and rich beers like this are perfect for just sitting back, relaxing, and sipping on. this is a great beer and i'm glad i let it sit for a while.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep dark brownish amber with a small white head.

The smell is molasses,caramel and spices.

The taste is malty, caramel, brandy, vanila with a touch of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is is fairly thick with medium carbonation.

This is a tasty beer, rich and full of flavour. Pretty sweet like a brandy liqueur.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

a really brilliant example of the style, and the time on oak really brings this to life. pours sort of a hazy burnt caramel color, and boasts a nice lathery off white head with outstanding retention. it smells extremely sweet, molasses and cane sugar, and a lot of alcohol. smells a lot like en English barleywine actually, with a similar malt profile. the flavor though is what makes this special. while it is intensely sweet, there is a lot more to it. there is some bready malt that reminds me of teacakes, there is a butterscotch character that coupled with the oak is simply sensational, and the alcohol, while strong, is also sort of inviting, its warming and friendly, easy up easy down, and that's hard to accomplish I think. very woody in the finish, and again very sweet. relaxed carbonation is ample, and the body is colossal. its not something I would drink everyday, that's for sure, but its a heck of a beer, really well built, and guilty of getting me pleasantly drunker than I anticipated. founders always rocks, and this old ale is true to form.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow. What a pleasure to be rating this beer as my very first on BA. My good friend Clayton gave me this one from his trip to the midwest. My favorite part of beer in the past 2 years has been the friendship it comes with. A special thanks to my good friend StonedTrippin (Ben) for showing me the way.

Now for this founders GEM. There are a couple of things that really stand out for me. I have a had a few beers that call themselves "Old Ales" but I have never had one this crisp. I poured it into a Burgundy wine glass carefully and got only a fine carmel dust of a head. A thin cloud if you will. The color is a very clear redish-orange that reminds me of a good whiskey. THe aroma is very gentle. Really stick your nose in this one to pick up some of the subtleties. My intitual take away is twix candy bars, whiskey, chocolate-covered coffee bean, and almonds. VERY SWEET. Im anticipating a cavity here folks. My frist sip surprises me a bunch. I expect a smooth and heavy velvety liquid, but what I get is surprisingly thin liquid that dances around in the mouth like soda water. The time this spends in oak comes through aggressively in the flavor. Whiskey right up front, followed by all the candy, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, pecan pie, and sweet potato even. THe bitter is in the finish and at 50 IBU id say this is very respectable. The bitterness lasts 3 times longer than the flavor and almost sticks around as if to say "take another sip." Its right on the back of my throat hanging there like a vampire bat. THe alcohol is there, but at 9.8 abv this beer will definitely trick you into getting wasted fast.

I really like this. I have friends that would be more critical I think. Its a pretty sweet brew which I like, but the mouthfeel here is what I see as the standout factor which separates this old ale from others I have had. A great brew next to thanksgiving dinner.

B+ to A- depending on who is drinking it.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) from Founders Brewing Company