Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
4.02/5
Exceptional
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,773 |  Reviews: 1,326

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this beer on a cold, rainy, October day in Michigan.

A: The suspended sediment makes this look unappealing. The color is a copper, brown, orange, nice color. There was almost no head.

S: Dark fruit, molasses, bourbon, oak, apricot, burnt sugars. The smell is quite complex, but it smells good none the less.

T: Caramel, molasses, toffee (these 3 blend together), slight vanilla, oak, macadamian nut, bourbon. It's delicious

M: Heavy and thick (viscous), coats the mouth, warming from the alcohol, crisp carbonation which is hidden by the body of the beer.

O: I like it and I will buy it again. This one is a sipper, and it tastes better as the beer warms (maybe that's just the 9.8% alcohol affecting my judgement). I would suggest pairing this with a rum cake, or maybe a raisin or maple pudding would work also.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz Bottle received in trade with cfrancis - thanks!

Appearance - Hazy copper/brown colour with a below average size fizzy/frothy beige coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, butterscotch/caramel, chocolate, peat

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts mixed with some caramel/butterscotch. There is also a bit of a dark fruit taste and a bit of anise, chocolate, and peat. It ends with a buttery/malty aftertatse with a slight bitterness.

Overall - More of a wee-heavy than a old ale. It tastes better than it smells and the mouthfeel needs a little boost of carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden and the aftertaste is the highlight for me. Not sure I'd have again with all of the great beers out there to choose from.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip at ~60 degrees F.

A - pours a nice dark reddish-orangish-purplish color with about a finger of off-white head that sticks around for a little while. I've tried this a few times and sometimes there is a lot of sediment, but this one poured crystal-clear. A very attractive beer, though lacing is minimal.

S - reminiscent of a Belgian quad, with lots of dark fruit, along with a bit of candi sweetness. No real oak presence here despite the fact that it claims to be oak-aged. Smells pretty good.

T - I think maybe this is just my palate, but this beer simply falls apart in the taste category, which is a shame because the presentation is very well done in every other aspect. Dark fruits, predominately plum and fig flavors, come through big-time. On the back end there is a bit of the toffee and caramel sweetness, which is nicely balanced and not real cloying. Unfortunately there is something else in this beer that I find very off-putting. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is a very stong, pungent, almost metallic flavor here in the middle, and even with 8 months of age it has not diminished at all. Coincidentally, I find the same off-putting flavor in St. Bernardus Abt. 12, so I'm willing to chalk it up to my own sensitivities, rather than something wrong with the beer, to explain why I don't like it. Another downside is that I also detect very little oak, if any.

M - this is big and slick, but pleasantly so. The finish lingers, and the pungent flavor is nowhere to be found. The aftertaste is delightful, actually, much more so than the actual taste I'm afraid. Dead on for the style and size of this beer, and really quite nice.

O - I drainpour this every time, but it's a well-made beer that just doesn't fit my palate. Worth trying as it is a good overall experience, and if you don't have the same reaction to the taste, I suspect you would find this beer to be quite enjoyable. Alas, I can only actually score it based on my own taste, but I think most people would not have the same reaction to the taste as I do.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz poured into tulip. Bottled 4/13/12

Appearance: What the hell is living in this one? A ton of sediment just suspended in the beer with no movement. Color is nice copper-orange and obviously not a transparent beer with all the sediment. Head was minuscule and off white.

Smell: Dark fruits, molasses, burnt sugar, caramel. Some oak and vanilla too with a mild nut in there as well.

Taste: A sweet beer for sure with caramel, molasses, toffee at first. Dark fruits such as raisins and figs with bitterness on the finish. I do get some oak and maybe a little vanilla.

Mouthfeel: I'd call this thick and creamy because it definitely does coat the entire mouth. It's surprisingly easy to drink at 9.8% abv but the alcohol does show itself as it produces a nice warming effect in the throat.

Overall: I like it. It's a nice beer if you are in the mood for a rather thick and sweet beer.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

355ml bottle poured into 16oz tulip.

A - Pours a deep and hazy reddish-copper color with a small, soapy beige head. The head quickly settles to a thin skiff, despite a hard pour. Spotty bits of suds cling to the glass, but no substantial lacing here. There's also a good amount of haze clouding the body up. It even looks pungent and flavorful.

S - A complex, pungent aroma of big earthy malt and assertive hops. Big caramel malt, molasses, toffee, treacle, a touch of musty wood, and some inviting oak. The hops lend both leafy and earthy notes, as well as some unripe stone fruits, namely apricots and tangerines. Light notes of smoke, maple, vanilla, and some boozy sweetness come through as well.

T - Pretty much follows suit with the nose. The first sip is a barrage of rich malty base and assertive, herbal hops. Earthy notes of wood and oak are balanced by sweet maple, vanilla, and toffee. Tons of caramel malt, and big rich sweetness, almost to the point where it becomes cloying. But this is quickly balanced by resinous earthy notes of smoke, molasses and wood. Finishes with a solid punch of hop presence, herbal, earthy, leafy, even some tropical fruits and pine. As my palate adjusts after the first sip, the balance really comes into play. While the flavor profile is huge with sweet malt and bitter hops, the balance really keeps it drinkable. There's a touch of warmth from the ABV in the finish, and some residual boozy sweetness as well. Overall, a delicious, drinkable, and unique flavor.

M - The body feel thick and full, and even a little creamy, but is balanced well by a carbonation done just right; nice and fine keeping the overall feel smooth. Doesn't finish too dry, but does give a little heat at the finish from the ABV. As with most beers of this nature, a sticky residue builds up as well.

D - Overall this was a real treat for me. To my inexperienced palate, the assertive presence of both malt and hops here sort of reads as a barley wine. However, I find this more accessible and drinkable than most barley wines because the hop presence and alcohol doesn't become too overbearing; this remains drinkable and very tasty throughout. While I probably wouldn't consider this much of an old ale by my standards, it's certainly a unique beer, and I certainly enjoyed it.

3.94/5  rDev -2%

Little head and lacing, probably because I poured it really slow and pretty cold (because I was looking out for snot like goop in my beer). Dark copper orange color, lots of sediment. Aromas of sweet dark fruit, caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, molasses, nutty/pecan notes, and hints of oak and vanilla. Tastes much the same with all those dark fruit toffee molasses caramel brown sugar old ale notes with some nuts, tea, hops, and light oak. Medium body and smooth consistency. Light carbonation works well. Smooth finish.

Overall not the best old ale I've had, but a pretty good one. Only detractor is the appearance, with watching out for snot and lots of sediment it wasn't the best looking of brews either. But still good. Worth a try and I'd be Curmudgeon's Better Half is fantastic after having tasted this.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) from Founders Brewing Company