Curmudgeon | Founders Brewing Company

CurmudgeonCurmudgeon

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

Think classic seafaring ports, local pubs and weathered old fishermen. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill. Then Oak-Aged. The result is a rich, malty delight that's deceptively smooth and drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Ratings: 4,805 |  Reviews: 1,337

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this beer on a cold, rainy, October day in Michigan.

A: The suspended sediment makes this look unappealing. The color is a copper, brown, orange, nice color. There was almost no head.

S: Dark fruit, molasses, bourbon, oak, apricot, burnt sugars. The smell is quite complex, but it smells good none the less.

T: Caramel, molasses, toffee (these 3 blend together), slight vanilla, oak, macadamian nut, bourbon. It's delicious

M: Heavy and thick (viscous), coats the mouth, warming from the alcohol, crisp carbonation which is hidden by the body of the beer.

O: I like it and I will buy it again. This one is a sipper, and it tastes better as the beer warms (maybe that's just the 9.8% alcohol affecting my judgement). I would suggest pairing this with a rum cake, or maybe a raisin or maple pudding would work also.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

12oz Bottle received in trade with cfrancis - thanks!

Appearance - Hazy copper/brown colour with a below average size fizzy/frothy beige coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, butterscotch/caramel, chocolate, peat

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts mixed with some caramel/butterscotch. There is also a bit of a dark fruit taste and a bit of anise, chocolate, and peat. It ends with a buttery/malty aftertatse with a slight bitterness.

Overall - More of a wee-heavy than a old ale. It tastes better than it smells and the mouthfeel needs a little boost of carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden and the aftertaste is the highlight for me. Not sure I'd have again with all of the great beers out there to choose from.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a bottle into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip at ~60 degrees F.

A - pours a nice dark reddish-orangish-purplish color with about a finger of off-white head that sticks around for a little while. I've tried this a few times and sometimes there is a lot of sediment, but this one poured crystal-clear. A very attractive beer, though lacing is minimal.

S - reminiscent of a Belgian quad, with lots of dark fruit, along with a bit of candi sweetness. No real oak presence here despite the fact that it claims to be oak-aged. Smells pretty good.

T - I think maybe this is just my palate, but this beer simply falls apart in the taste category, which is a shame because the presentation is very well done in every other aspect. Dark fruits, predominately plum and fig flavors, come through big-time. On the back end there is a bit of the toffee and caramel sweetness, which is nicely balanced and not real cloying. Unfortunately there is something else in this beer that I find very off-putting. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is a very stong, pungent, almost metallic flavor here in the middle, and even with 8 months of age it has not diminished at all. Coincidentally, I find the same off-putting flavor in St. Bernardus Abt. 12, so I'm willing to chalk it up to my own sensitivities, rather than something wrong with the beer, to explain why I don't like it. Another downside is that I also detect very little oak, if any.

M - this is big and slick, but pleasantly so. The finish lingers, and the pungent flavor is nowhere to be found. The aftertaste is delightful, actually, much more so than the actual taste I'm afraid. Dead on for the style and size of this beer, and really quite nice.

O - I drainpour this every time, but it's a well-made beer that just doesn't fit my palate. Worth trying as it is a good overall experience, and if you don't have the same reaction to the taste, I suspect you would find this beer to be quite enjoyable. Alas, I can only actually score it based on my own taste, but I think most people would not have the same reaction to the taste as I do.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.79/5  rDev -6%

12oz poured into tulip. Bottled 4/13/12

Appearance: What the hell is living in this one? A ton of sediment just suspended in the beer with no movement. Color is nice copper-orange and obviously not a transparent beer with all the sediment. Head was minuscule and off white.

Smell: Dark fruits, molasses, burnt sugar, caramel. Some oak and vanilla too with a mild nut in there as well.

Taste: A sweet beer for sure with caramel, molasses, toffee at first. Dark fruits such as raisins and figs with bitterness on the finish. I do get some oak and maybe a little vanilla.

Mouthfeel: I'd call this thick and creamy because it definitely does coat the entire mouth. It's surprisingly easy to drink at 9.8% abv but the alcohol does show itself as it produces a nice warming effect in the throat.

Overall: I like it. It's a nice beer if you are in the mood for a rather thick and sweet beer.

Curmudgeon from Founders Brewing Company