Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) | Founders Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Old Ale

Old ale brewed with molasses and oak-aged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-31-2005

Reviews: 1,256 | Ratings: 4,560
3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

Tried this at a tasting before and was not too crazy about it. Decided to get a bottle and do an official review. 12oz bottle...

A: Beautiful deep murky copper with a small off white head that fades slowly. Good.

S: Smells like a decent old ale. Sweet sugary malts upfront blended with hints of bready raisin, cherry, and banana. Alcohol bite on the backend. Very Good.

T: Takes a strange turn here. Starts with a very dry metallic taste followed by hints of sugary malt and some dark fruit. Ok.

M: Does not leave a whole lot on the palate. What it does leave is good. Medium body. Good.

D: Once you get past the interesting metallic taste, it goes down good.

All in all, this brew definitely followed suit with the first time I tried it. Just ok, not much special in this one. Not worth hunting and do not make this a priority to try if you have access.

A - pours a reddish amber with a 1/2 finger head

S - spicy cherries, old leather, loads of malts, some cinnamon, and booze

T - The taste follows the nose, but not as well as I would have liked. The flavors start with some vanilla and cherries, and leather and mustiness. The maple is there, but it is very subtle. These blend together to make a very complex, rich sipper of a beer, although I think it is still a little too hot right now. I am going to let the other three sit for a while longer.

M - this had little carbonation and a thin body. Also, the booze could have been a little more hidden.

D - Curmudgeon is a pretty decent Old Ale. Definitely a sipper with a bunch of flavors going on. I can't wait to see what this is like in a year...

----
2009 Vintage - 4.5 years old:
The nose has turned into a much more tobacco and leather aroma with less of the malty sweetness and vanilla I picked up yesterday. It's a touch soy saucy upfront but as it goes down there is rich caramel, leather, tobacco, spicy dark fruit, and a touch of vanilla. It reminds me of some of the best old ales and less hoppy barley wines I have tried.

Different flavor profile than the '10 had, but I think better - I am going to say this is the best flavor combination I have tasted in this beer. It could go on for longer, but maybe 2 more years at most before it started to fall apart.
---
2010 Vintage - 3.5 years old:
It pours a redder color than when fresh; the nose has noticeably diminished to a shell of itself - some oak and mellow vanilla notes are present, though; the taste, however is superb - malty, caramelly sweetness upfront moves on to a slight tobacco, cognac, and toasted/burnt malt flavor ; this finishes with a slight aged hop bitterness mixed with oak, and a really nice vanilla pop. Fantastic taste! The alcohol has noticeably settled and makes for a very easy drinking ale.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

Cloudy, deep reddish brown with a thinish off white head.

Fruity, vinous aroma with a heavy licorice scent in there. Some carmel and raisiny oxidized smell. Altogether liquor-like.

Whiskey/scotch like flavor, big alcohol presence. Malts are thin but fadingly fruity. Aftertaste is woody, bitter and alcoholic. Warming.

Thin and mostly flat in the mouth.

Altogether, it not my favorite Founders. A complex beer in flavor, though, and well crafted. A sipper. Just a little too much like whiskey for my liking.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured kinda hard due to the fact I knew it was an Old Ale. Lots of chunkies and yeast cake, what the hell? Off white head, deep aubern color, floating yeast matter. Pretty ugly except for the uncharicterstic lacing. Aroma of malt forward English yeast, sweet malts, and specialty malt. Some cherry notes on the aroma, but their light. Flavor, really malt forward, some caramel wait no alot of caramel, some light molasses. In addition some phenol like English yeast flavor is present. Thick under-attenuated beer, sweet, thick mouthfeel. And even a little bitter on the finish from some hops. Not bad. In the panthion of Old Ale it isn't a victory but it's ok.

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a deep murky amber color. Maybe a fingers worth of white foam which quickly dissipates to a thin film. Lots of sediment including a thick glob which just floats on top.

S - the nose is rich and focused. The sweet aromas of molasses and maple syrup are dominate. There are also notes of buttery toast/french toast and cherry puree.

T - toasty bread, caramel, and toffee notes up front. Sweet cherry flavors and hint of cinnamon spice in the center. Just a hint of alcohol heat and peppery spice on the backend which lingers a bit after the finish.

M - buttery texture. Full bodied. Medium carbonation with full round bubbles.

O - good dessert beer. A bit much on its own but i suspect it would be fantastic with a fruit based desert.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice beautiful reddish amber with a nice head that quickly dissipates. Not much aroma. First sip is not much sweetness but you can definitely taste the oak barrel and finishes with a strong alcohol kick. Was looking for more maple goodness. As you drink more and the beer warms up, the maple and molasses start to come through. A very nice beer. Starts becoming like a fine cognac. Be careful as that almost 10% will kick you real quick.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

A - Pours a dark amber, light khaki one finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Not getting a lot on the nose. May'be some molasses and a faint oak smell. Definitely a sweet, subdued smell.

T - A sweet, molasses opening. Some kicks of spices that develop into an okay finish. Can't detect the abv.

M - Silky and lightly carbonated. Still heavy enough to coat your mouth.

O - Definitely a solid offering from Founders. It's not a mind blowing beer, but then again, every beer can't be from one brewery.

3.71/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a huge light tan head that settles into a very high density, the beer is very clear and a nice bare color, nice head retention. Amber malt, nuttiness, pretty faint under that head Light malt sweetness, has an alcohol warmth to it, bread, some spice, caramel, hints of grain Palate: soft carbonation, very heavy and thick mouthfeel, alcohol on the aftertaste. The taste hides the ABV very well and you can tell it is well made when you drink it due to the seriousness of the beer.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

For my first official BA review, I'm choosing the Founders Curmudgeon. Why? I have no idea. Ever since my middle school hay days I have loved the word, Curmudgeon - although at the time I was rather oblivious to its meaning, and merely fond of the similarly titled Nirvana B-side.

For quite some time in my beer loving days I had searched high and low for this beer. I worked to set up a number of trades to pick just one up to try, each inevitably falling dead in their own tracks. Then one day, as if the gods themselves had been watching my search, it just showed up. And I'm not talking about a trip to Grand Rapids I took in search of the beer (to no avail), nor stops on the same trip to handfuls of local Michigan beer stores (again to no avail), and I'm not even talking about a happen-chance finding of a single bottle in the back room of a store no one would have ever thought to find the brew. No. I mean it just showed up. Seriously - right now, it's all over Cincinnati. I mean everywhere. How about that for serendipitous notion? But hey, I'm not complaining! And either way, it showed up, and then it found its way into my cellar - from the looks of it by the truckload at that.

But I digress. I poured this beer before even navigating to the review page here on BA and my taste buds are getting impatient. It is worthy to note that I have poured my Curmudgeon at cellar temperature into a deep stemless white wine glass - my glass of choice of lately for enjoying anything as particularly malty as this.

This beer pours a beautiful, deep red mahogany, and quickly gathers a finger and a half of light brown head. The head dissipates a little too quickly, but leaves an amoeba of lacing griping tight to the glass. There is a touch of standing sediment hanging out in the beer, but nothing to frown upon for this style.

The smell! This one knocks in with some thick, boozy notes that are backed up by caramel, molasses, deep grape, and, although I can't touch what this particular flavor is, I will describe the overall smell as "burnt sticky caramel corn." I am fighting the urge to find the correct words to describe this beer with my desire to toss this one down the hatch. And in that case... bottoms up!

Burnt Sticky Caramel Corn is pretty accurate if you ask me! The Old Curmudgeon hits the tongue with a quickly waning hit of fresh hops, grazes the tongue gracefully through its candy-like mid-body and rushes down the back of the throat almost like it wasn't even there. This one sits on the tongue after finish and simply bubbles for a while, asking for another sip. The sweetness sits with a light glaze through the mouth and reaffirms my newly coined burnt sticky caramel corn flavor profile. Plus some plum... yeah, a little bit of plum. Once it goes down, though, it's like I'm breathing fire here. Not like some crazy burn-down-the-house fire; more like a sitting by the campfire making s'mores (s'more what?) fire. The booze sits nicely and keeps the warming coming quite nicely. I could take this one out in 40 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt and keep warm. I like that.

As much as I really like this beer, I'd love to have a little more variety in flavor aside from the aforementioned notes. For what is there, however, I can certainly appreciate the flavors, and there is nothing about this one that says, you can't have just one. On a good night with some good company, I could sip on these for quite some time. Well worth the wait to finally try these, and I am more than appreciative that I had quite a few more of these in my cellar.

Cheers!

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a hazy brown to orange color. Head formation is moderately strong, dirty white. Well retained down to a light film. Carbonation appears light.

S - Sweet malt smelling. A bready tone. Has a bit of yeast bite. Some phenolic tones.

T - Starts off malty and sweet - toasty and bready. No hopping in the mid-stream, bitterness is muted. Finishes off with a very strong phenolic tone combined with a caramel toffee malt.

M - Very thick and creamy. Little carbonation bite. This baby is built on a huge sugar base to drive this mouthfeel. Cloying and clinging to the tongue.

D - Moderate drinkability. ABV is pretty potent. Not filling. Taste is pretty smooth, but does become dominant on the palette.

Founders- Curmudgeon

A- Thick reddish orange with a big thick white head. Small lacing.
S- Sweet fruity malt (cherry and prune) with sugar and a dusting of chocolate.
T- Very sweet cherry/ plum malt with a touch of cocoa powder.
M- Again sweet with a dried fruity body and a tart finish.

Overall- Very sweet with big doses of dried fruits and a big alc. warmness made this an enjoyable 1 pinter.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

I found a 4 pack tucked away in the local distributor. With anticipation of how well Founder's brews are rated I gave it a try.

A - Dark amber, with a decent cream colored foam. A noticably low amount of carbonation.

S - Lots of different things going on. Very strong whisky smell with hints of toffee and vanilla. A very complex combination.

T - Besides the tastes of what I smelled there was also some butterscotch. I find the potency of this style a bit too much; it overwhelms the other flavors. Too bad.

M - The lack of carbonation makes this an easy beer to work on. Given the high ABV that is a welcome thing.

D - One of these is enough at a time. It is an enjoyable experience, but I doubt I'd get the same kick out of a second. Not a session beer; enjoy this baby one at a time and let the others age.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to lnashsig for this bottle.

Appearance - Deep amber body with little head and only a bit of lacing. Sediment floating about as I look throuh the body. Tough for these types of beers to really look appealing.

Smell - Apples! I smell lots of apples. It kind of reminds me of Short's Good Samaritan. It has an earthy maltiness to the aroma. Not a sweetness that I expect.

Taste - The taste really follows the aroma, but with the addition of hops in the finish. Apple flavor at the start with other malt flavors. A bit of caramel and some brown sugar, but it's definitely an apple fruit flavor I get most. The finish is an odd bitterness that I do not expect from an Old Ale. The hoppiness pushes it towards the barleywine category, but not too much.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation for the style. The bitterness in the finish is the lingering taste. It's also a bit astringent. Not my favorite characteristic.

Overall - Not really what I was expecting from an Old Ale, but not bad. The apples aren't what I want in an Old Ale. I want strong malts, caramel and vanilla. Still, I didn't seem to have any difficulty finding a home for the beer once it got into the glass.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 1 inch head, unfiltered amber red color (hazy), no head retention but some lacing

Nose: Sweet malt, caramel, dark fruit, slightly metallic

Taste: Biscuits and toasted bread, roasted malt and wood, fading into an early/dark fruit taste

Mouth: flowing but a bit short in the carbonation

Overall: A great old ale, but I've come to expect more from Founder, I was a bit disappointed

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

Pours a light reddish color, clear, with a small half inch head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like brown sugar, caramel malt, and some dark fruits.

The taste is similar. Not quite as strong of a flavor as I'd expect with an oak-aged old ale brewed with molasses, but it's still decently nice. Tastes like caramel, toffee, and burnt brown sugar. Some dark fruits as well.

Medium bodied, slightly thinner than I'd like. Low carbonation, almost none whatsoever.

A decent ale, but not one I'd clamor to try again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12-oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A = Very hazy amber with only a slight head -- orange on pour but settling out to an off white ring of bubbles around edge of glass. Low carbonation.

S & T = Smells of maple syrup, coconut and vanilla, with tastes of the same. I get a really strong flavor of coconut and a hint of sweet pineapple, almost like a Pina Colada. Also some flavors of spices and hay. Relatively sweet, good long finish.

M = Medium-heavy body, very good mouthcoating, low carbonation not quite as luxurious as I would like, but decent.

D = It tastes good and goes down easily but it also gets a bit cloying, so I cannot recommend it as having high drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from bottle to imperial pint. Bit of age on this one.

Appearance - Amber brown see through, not much to speak of, what it should look like. Little to no head, cap came off pretty easy.

Smell - This is a different smell to me, wood, raisins, molasses, and alcohol. This has that founders smell to it. I am finding it hard to find different smells in here.

Taste - Whoa, tons of different tastes going on here, let me try and explain. I taste milk, caramel, tons of dark fruits and a bit of fig and raisin. At the end I get a small bite, and then a sugary taste after. Last thing that remians is an alcoholic burn. This is quite a taster.

Mouthfeel - This is surprisingly smooth, reminds me of milk at the beginning. Not bad for a beer of its stature.

Drinkability - One is good enough for me to sip and enjoy. This is an interesting beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

A rusty-brown color, gets a little golden when held to the light. Very little head on mine, just a slight film almost over the top, kind of bubbly, that quickly went away and lefts just a slight halo around the edges of the glass. Some little sediment floaters drifting around at the bottom, too.

Doesn't really give much beyond some malt and sweet honey scents until it warms up a bit. initially thought this was pretty mellow in the nose but as it warms there are lots of scents i'm not picking up on. some overripe fruits, dark fruits, nice nose. Still a thing or two in there I can't put my finger on.

Some nice sweetness, getting some of the honey I had in the nose, nice mellow malt, kind of like a light barley-wine. Little bit of alcohol on the back, nothing too strong though. Some bitterness in the back too, i think its coming from the alcohol.

Light for the style, actually goes down pretty easy. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was light in the mouth but it definitely goes down easy, especially for the flavor profile and alcohol. A little more syrupy as it warms.

I was kind of expecting a little more from this. It's a good beer, dangerously drinkable but it doesn't have enough to make me want to come back to it too often

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

This brew poured out to a dark amber colour. It produced a sugary looking tan cap that faded away with haste. I saw some gigantic chunks of matter plop down into the glass that were somewhat unappetizing, but nonetheless this is a decent looking glass of brew. A sloppy pour too.

The nose smells sweet and oak chipped. Candy like. Rind and sunned dark fruit aspects flourish. It seems to tread the line of barley wine which is expected among brutes such as this. It has the characteristics of a raw, high alcohol pulverizer for certain. These types of unfettered brutality usually do not suit my taste, but we'll see what happens here.

The taste is chock full of sweet, fermented fruit character. As far as old ales are concerned this is one. As far as I am concerned this is a bit much on my palate. Dark fruits come out with the decomposing and fermenting character that steers me away from such brews. This is admittedly a style that I am not a great advocate of. That being said this is not entirely too bad. I generally have a dislike for old ales due to the enormous gritty sugar tones I feel from them. There is typically a rotten aspect of fruit character that I perceive and it always manages to turn my stomach. I can find the house flavour within this one and it happens to be one I have grown fond of over the last few years. The oak aspects are not overbearing. Even for a style I loathe, you guessed it, Founders gave me one I nearly enjoy. There is no West Michigan pride here, just the simple truth. I am just lucky to have it close by.

Mouthfeel is thick. Approaching a grit, but ultimately a smooth character. Very slight on the carbonation. It surely proclaims itself as a big beer.

Drinkability is alright for the style. I would never sit down to a few of these. It is more of a hit and run type and nobody would likely dispute that. So, for a single serve I say what the hell, this is decent. You will not catch me filling my jug with this, but as an adventurous beer drinker it is worth a shot. If you are of barbarian blood and you enjoy a drink such as old ale, well step on up. You will most likely enjoy this creation.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

czoch75 sent me a bottle of this last year, and I figured this fine Sunday is a worthy occasion to crack it. IIRc, this is the 2008 release

The pour is a mostly clear ruby red, marred by a slightly careless pour that results in a bunch of floating particles in the beer. A thin, tan head rises briefly, settling into a ring rather quickly.

Sweet, rich and malty on the nose, with plums, raisins, rum, brown sugar, beets, honey and alcohol. Quite deep and rich, and thoroughly acceptable. Mild oxidation is noticeable with a combination of sherry and cardboard. Slight fusel aroma is present, with the spicy character associated with it.

Opens sweet, with a more straightforward sugary sweet character with honey and brown sugar dominating. The fruit character that I picked up on the nose isn't as noticeable, and there's a mild date character present. Rum and raisins with a spicy rye character is noticeable. I'm getting a little bit of toffee before the finish that's a sweet with a bit of alcohol and a little bitterness that's burnt caramel in character.

Medium-full in body with an excellent, lush, creamy carbonation, this beer feels pretty awesome on the palate. The finish is a little disappointing in that it isn't very flavorful.

A definite sipper, I'm actually liking this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a burnt caramel/orangish/brown with a decently dense half inch of light mocha colored head with decent retention, pretty good lacing.

S - Some sweet caramel and vanilla type aromas, possibly brown sugar. Oaky/bourbon type presence. Some alcohol detectable. Some chewyness and dark fruit as well.

T - Very scotch/oaky brown ale flavor initially, but subtle hints of vanilla and a decent raisin/dark fruit come through giving this brew a pretty dynamic flavor. Alcohol at the finish.

M - Medium bodied or less, appropriate carbonation.

O - Pretty decent, a little thin for the abv with a little too much of a rummy/alcohol presence imo. I feel like most of the alcohol is not coming from the malts.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

I poured this brew from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter. The reddish-brown color with a touch of sediment reminded me of the way apple cider would look in a snifter. There is very little head, with a little bit of lacing upon taking a few sips. It definitely smells sweet. A little bit like caramel. The taste is also sweet. Starts off a little bit sweet and I think I taste some hoppiness at the end, but it really isn't bitter at all, the aftertaste is still bit sweet. This is a thick, syrupy, sticky beer with a high alcohol content and I wouldn't want more than one in a sitting, but this is what I have come to expect from the style and I think it's delicious.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz bottle into tulip. bottled on 04/06/12.

A: a hazy deep orange hue. bright. the head is thick and slightly off white. good retention and boatloads of sticky lacing.

S: molasses, oak, vanilla. a chewy, wheat or munich aroma is present and provides a canvas for the molasses and oak to shine.

T: bits of smoke. fruit too. plums and pears. apricot. little bit of booze. bits of molasses in the finish. more and more vanilla comes out and more booze. ethanol really makes up the majority of this body.

M: mouthfeel consists of subtle carbonation on a full body.

D: flavor and the nose are good, not great. a little too much booze on this less than a month old example. i will certainly consider setting a few of these aside for a while and im sure that would make them that much better.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz brown glass twist-top. No date.

Appearance: Tawny orange/brown. No head to speak of, and somewhat cloudy (no sediment though).

Nose: Sweet raisin bread, apricots, toasted cashews, deep caramel, milk chocolate, dried figs.

Palate: Medium- to full-bodied with loads of sugar up front. Dried fruits (figs, raisons, prunes) mingle with a layer of light milk chocolate (low cocoa %), and some flavors that remind me of tawny/colheita ports and malmsey madeiras. Rich and somewhat thick, there is a moderate edge from the hop bitterness.

Notes: A well made Old Ale, will improve over short-term ageing, but I don't think it's made to go for more than 3 years with improvement. I would like to see more hop character for longer ageing. The hops show themselves and try to contain the HUGE sweetness, but it's just bursting at the brim with sugar. A little more contained than the Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog, though.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

served from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass

Pours a viscous, candied/caramel-twinged shade of dark amber. The head never developed, maxing out at 3/4-finger in size. The small ring laces okay, though.

This is one sweet-smelling beer. The malts profile is giving off all kinds of hints of things. I detect vanilla, toffee, dark fruit, sugar, tobacco and cinnamon.

This beer is as sweet as the smell indicated. Phenol-city, baby. Dark fruits in abundance; cherries, too. Vanilla & toffee are present and they sort of highlight some wood flavors. Add some Belgian yeast to this and you could pass it off as a quadruppel. A small touch of brandy or port or something on the finish. Dessert beer, for sure.

The feel is thick, but not in a gloopy, cloying way given the tremendous sweetness. More like a creamy, dessert thickness. Drinkability is hampered with this beer; at close to 10% ABV, it makes itself known by the end of the first bottle (though the booze is hidden well under all of the sweetness). This is a super-sweet beer besides. I don't think many people are going to want to have multiples in one sitting.

This is a tasty brew, for sure. Lots of sweet flavors, decent complexity even if all the flavors (sans the wood) hit the same point on the tongue. Have one with dessert.

Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale) from Founders Brewing Company