Founders Blushing Monk | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Blushing MonkFounders Blushing Monk

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Essentially an "Imperial Rübæus," this ale contains four times the amount of raspberries as Rübæus and is fermented with a Belgian yeast strain.

Added by granger10 on 09-15-2005

Ratings: 2,298 |  Reviews: 620

1.39/5  rDev -66.4%

This beer is beyond sweet. Cloying, overwhelming, beyond sweet. Pours decent with nice red color, clarity and head. Smell is strong raspberries, but no surprise there. The Belgian notes are completely lost in the fruit flavor, and the acid overwhelms everything else. Can't even taste the malt. No sense of balance; it's like drinking thick syrup. I would avoid this beer like the plague.

1.77/5  rDev -57.2%

1.82/5  rDev -56%

Not a fan, way too sweet, thick & syrupy, very much like children's cough medicine.

1.87/5  rDev -54.8%

Poured into my Founder's snifter.

Pours a dark red with a mountain of pillowy pink foam. Is this Nestle Quick? Lacing remains. Incredibly sweet on the nose. Raspberry puree. Taste is of strong raspberries. Syrup-like in the mouth with a heavy dose of carbonation. Followed by an alcohol burn. It sits deep in my chest. Nauseating and painful. Almost like my chest has a cramp in it.

Sickeningly sweet followed by a god awful throat/chest burn. Gee can I buy some more of this? Worst beer I've had from Founders hands down.

1.89/5  rDev -54.3%

Waaaay too sweet. Ridiculous, if i didnt know any better id say i was drinking a raspberry cider, there is no beer characterists about this one, not to mention belgian style characteristics.It smells like cider, and taste like it too, ick. On the plus side the mouthfeel and appearence are quite nice but i want to drink my beer, not look at it! Drainpour!!

Raspberry wine with more raspberries than one can imagine. Not my thing, I don't care for wine and hated this. Luckily my wife loved it. No false advertising here, tastes exactly like what they describe.

2.06/5  rDev -50.2%

This had a weird medicinal taste for me. It was almost like drinking cough syrup.

2.21/5  rDev -46.6%

A- Pours a dark red color with a handful of pinkish colored bubbles. I knew I was in trouble right there. Pretty much no head retention or lacing.

S- There it is a ton and I mean a ton of raspberries. Smells very sweet, yeast, and a light touch of bread. Don't get me wrong I like berries, especially when I run into one of the berry trees while I'm out hunting. I just don't really like them in my beer.

T- I thought I was ready to get smashed on fruit here, but nope I wasn't ready by any means. HUGE amounts of raspberries, with a bit of booze to it and a touch of malts. Way too sweet.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

O- I'm not digging this one at all. Tastes more like a wine cooler than a beer, but to each their own.

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

My friend Sean says this is a rape in the mouth and that is not good

2.29/5  rDev -44.7%

2.4/5  rDev -42%

I have had this several times. A generous friend shared a bottle with me a few weeks ago. Review from notes...

A: Pours dark with a pink/reddish hue. A small head forms and recedes to nothing. Not much lace to speak of.
S: The aroma is raspberry syrup, puree and brown sugar.
T: Wow, that is raspberry syrup and puree all the way. Cough syrup and bubble gum Tasts artificial. Cloying sweetness and brown sugar. This is bad.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Though this needs to be way more crisp and dry for my liking. Plenty of alcohol, mixed with artificial fruit and cloying sweetness makes this hard for me to drink.

This is pretty bad. The fruit flavor seems very artificial to me. To much like childerens cough syrup. I love Founders, but this is crap. Not something I would recommend.

2.45/5  rDev -40.8%

Ok, I understand its made with crazy amount of raspberries, but that's all I get. From the nose, to the taste, to the overall. So one note its sad. Give me more funk, or tart, or SOMETHING. Not my cup of tea...

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

2.59/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks hoppymeal for this one.
Large capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The appaearance is very nice, a deep pink, with a light pink head. From here, it is all downhill.
The aroma has a faint yeastiness, and raspberries; lots of raspberries.
The body is medium, and the flavor - raspberries. Excessive raspberries, which do not allow any other flavors to come through.
This one is a miss. The New Glarus version is vastly superior.

2.6/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really disappointed in this beer. It was glowingly sweet and the fruit flavor was overpowering. The mouthfeel was syrupy and I just could not enjoy it at all. There was little to no head on this beer and the carbonation was severely lacking. I'm not sure what the hype is about. I like Founders but this one was a miss.

2.68/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Eau Benite flute on 11/18/11; shared with PDXHops

2011 vintage

"Whoa. Whoa. Holy mackerel. Whoa."
-PDXHops

Deep ruby hue while poured. in the glass it's darker, but still has a glow about it. Nearly grape juice hued. One finger head - the color is that of strawberry ice cream. Soapy layer of retention.

Even raspberries don't smell this much like raspberries. If the aroma wasn't sweet enough, well, just take a sip old bean. Painfully sugary - the raspberry is simply out of control. The only redeeming quality is that it finishes sort of toasty and dry. I don't know how it manages that. Full, sticky, sugary feel. Moderate carbonation situated underneath the sugar tones.

Blushing Monk is amusing for three sips - anything beyond that is overkill.

2.7/5  rDev -34.8%

I guess I do not like sweet fruit flavored beer. This tastes like sweet rasberry soda, if you don't like the taste of beer this is the one for you.

2.72/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Sweet, medicinal, unbalanced and sticky. Not good.

2.73/5  rDev -34.1%

$13.59 a bottle at Woodman’s East. Wowza! 12.3% Pours a crimson lavender with a huge pink tinged white head. Dissipation is rapid despite a lot of visible carbonation. Aroma is boozy and very powerful, consisting mostly of raspberries. Very tart and boozy flavor of raspberries. Full to the point of being heavy. Raspberry flavor is out of this world but it’s one dimensional, not that that is necessarily bad. I think this beer is exactly what the brewers were going for. It’s really quite astounding. Personally, however, I am not very happy with it. It’s just too big, too strong, and too much of a good thing. I also don’t like that the body, at least to me, seems to come more from alcohol then from raspberries. Impressive it is, simply for being so big and so fruity but I really did not enjoy it and had a tough time finishing the bottle, even with a little help.

Founders Blushing Monk from Founders Brewing Company