Solid Gold

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Solid GoldSolid Gold
Notes: For those of you familiar with the Solid Gold we’ve featured in our taproom for years, this is not the same beer. Our Brewmaster, Jeremy, completely revamped the recipe and it now features lager yeast, corn and lemondrop hops for just the right hit of flavor. Our take on a classic, Solid Gold is a drinkable golden lager brewed with the highest quality ingredients. Challenging what a lager can be? That’s something we won’t regret.

Reviews: 261 | Ratings: 853 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Scotchboy from Idaho

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap in Meridian ID.

A: Starts out chill hazed but is actually bright, clear light gold with a fluffy white head.

S: Bready, malty, grainy, somewhat grassy, clean lager aroma, even a hint of fruitiness.

T: Crisp and clean with that malt base, grainy pale malt crispness, light grassy hop profile, faint lemon.

MF: Clean, crisp, light body with mellow sweetness.

O: A pleasant lager. Crushable. No off flavors. Makes sense that its the #1 lager on BA.

Feb 19, 2021
aotimes4 from Arizona

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Mildly wheaty smell, and smells more hoppy than it is, but otherwise very little aroma. I like the fact that it doesn’t taste as hoppy as it smells, because in my opinion IPAs are garbage. Tastes like a typical American lager, but with a bit more wheat and grain. Has a slight hint of sweetness to it. Not sugary but like others mentioned, almost like sweet corn. Think of this as a Budweiser with a bit more complexity and depth, which is a good thing. Would totally buy again. A good afternoon or evening beer to enjoy without having to think about it.

Feb 16, 2021
GMoneyMagic from Michigan

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

For me, there are a couple of lagers that can be judged against.
1) Budweiser. Say what you will, but this is a truly American beer that is distinctly a premium Lager.
2) Pabst Blue Ribbon. Again, maybe not your thing, or maybe it is. When I think of a truly American beer, Pabst comes to mind, not only in taste but in marketing.

Solid Gold is bud light with with an almost Budweiser/Pabst taste. I mean this in the best possible way. I drink a lot of this beer. It tastes good. It is refreshing. Not filling, or overly carbonated, but carbonated enough to be a really good lager.
To me this is what a Lager should taste like.
Bonus feature to drinking this, as opposed to Budweiser or Pabst. No headaches or diarrhea.

Dec 30, 2020
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Drinking this at home.
Poured from a 19.2 ounce can into a pint glass.
Appears ever so slightly hazy, with a nice foamy head that dropped quickly to a thin cap.
Smells lightly bready, sweet, floral.
Taste follows the nose nicely.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style.
Overall, I don't quite know why this particular beer has so many low ratings, because I think it's pretty good for the style and I would definitely drink again.
Cheers!

Dec 29, 2020
mmilyko from Nevada

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

I'm a big, BIG Founders fan, and love that they even try a unique go at a lager variation, but they can't all be winners, can they. I didn't care for the Lemondrop hops, but that's just me. Keep up the experimentation guys.

Dec 10, 2020
VelvetExtract from Massachusetts

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

Cans. One of those beers that I avoided picking up because I thought I had it and as it turns out I was wrong. The beer indeed does pour golden. Rich, vibrant gold. Really mild, patchy head. Nose is really mild and pretty simple. For this style, not necessarily a bad thing. Pretty much smells like a slightly beefed up macro lager; as intended. Probably picking up more hops than usual. Flavor immediately wasn't in love with. I think the problem lies in the fact that the beer is pretty much 80% a macro lager. But then in comes those new age Lemondrop hops. So that last 20% of the beer isn't in line with the bulk. I think there's a reason why we haven't seen a Bud Light Citra. These hops don't play well in the style. Clean, simple, macro flavors that get blindsided by what seems to be a similar hop profile to All Day IPA. It sorta throws everything out of whack. Brings the drinkability down, too. Honestly, I think this beer is a whiff and we are well beyond the big push of 15 packs they threw in every store a few years ago. Only bought a single though!

Oct 06, 2020
UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer is actually quite good looking. It is a nice golden color with a decent head. It works well. The smell is fresh but not very complex. It is enticing as something grainy. The taste is sweet with splashes of corn. The hopping is subtle but green and complementary. It taste good. The mouthfeel is watery but with good carbonation. Overall, it is a really good take on the style!

Aug 04, 2020
TBoneJones from Texas

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Normally I wouldn’t but it’s Founders, and evidently has rave feedback as far as this particular lager style goes.
Pours golden and fizzy. Somewhat hazy.
Smell is a very nice cracker/ corn-like note.
Taste is like the nose, light corn malt flavor, cracker- some light citrus zest is there. Refreshing enough. It does remind me of a Pilsner, the malt profile/ overall flavor here.
Feel is smooth, creamy with a medium-light carbonation feel to it, almost on the thin side.
It’s actually tasty, zesty and something I’d fill a small cooler with on a boat where everyone else has their other light macros.

Aug 01, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%

How does the current #1 ranked adjunct lager stack up? It is pretty damn good. The look is a slight unfiltered yellow, with tons of tiny champagne-like bubbles with an overwhelmingly beautiful appearance. As for the smells, light corn adjunct, and hops. A slightly clean and piney smell about them but the smell is also neutral. The flavor delivers a pilsner flavor more than an adjunct lager. This is mainly hop forward, light mouthfeel with a rush of carbonations through each sip that finishes dry. No way this is an adjunct if not more of a classic pilsner style, but what do I know

Aug 01, 2020
TedHead from Illinois

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass. Pretty much translucent gold coloring and decent frothy head. Has some hop flavors and bitterness that turn maltier then sweet. The flavors are pretty balanced between the maltiness, hops and the sweetness making it really easy to drink. Overall it's a really good AAL and I think even non craft beer drinkers wouldn't mind having one.

Jul 31, 2020
jonathanm99 from Michigan

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Look is just what you’d think—“solid gold,” not quite clear but almost. Pretty decent frothy head that faded after a couple minutes. Smell is pretty minimal, grassy with a bit of corn. Taste is just a bit of malt character with just a hint of bitterness from the hops at first, with the adjunct corn sweetness coming in on the finish. Pretty decent carbonation, just enough body to let you know it’s there.

It’s a lager, aka a good beer to go with frozen pizza and surfing Netflix, not much more. In the style I haven’t had many better than this.

Jul 24, 2020
laketang from Arizona

3.16/5  rDev -13.4%

This is light clear amber and an okay head that I get a beady aroma, with some bitter hops and corn to be sure. An average lager that isn't too expensive to enjoy outdoors, and a low abv for day consumption.

Jul 05, 2020
maxpower from Missouri

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz can pours a bright clear golden-yellow color, has a decent foamy white head that doesn't last long, light grainy aromas. Starts with a light dry bread flavor, finishes clean with a little sweetness, not much aftertaste. Good for the style, It is what it is.

Jun 02, 2020
Brewsome from New Jersey

Serving: 12oz can packaged 2-24-20

L: Golden color some haze. Nice frothy head, lacing, head retention at 1/2 glass.
S: Wait I'm smelling hops from an AAL? crackers some slight corn.
T: Those 20 IBUs save the day here from your typical adjunct lager. Not much adjunkness going on here. Decent taste
F: I just drank a nice brew feeling good.
O: Saw this 12 pack on the shelf thought I'd give it a try since I never had it. Was expecting your typical lame AAL but was pleasantly surprised. This is a decent Lager. Will buy again (if I can find it this sells out fast)

May 20, 2020
rapayn01 from Kentucky

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A few days after the 4th, I had a taster of this beer on a flight at one of my favorite local pizza joints in 2019. I'm not a fan of the style, but am always willing to give Founders beers a shot in various styles. It had a slight hop flavor, but was definitely a lager. That's a major negative for me even if it is true to the style.

May 04, 2020
dedrinker from Kansas

2.02/5  rDev -44.7%

I can't get no...satisfaction. Picked up a 19.2 oz can at my local market to get my evening started. Very disappointed. It had more body than a macro lager but less flavor. No flavor at all to be exact. Looking on the bottom of the can I see it was canned only three weeks before I drank it. Hell, I was drinkin' ICEHOUSE tall boys on my stoop the night before and they had more flavor than this (sure, bad flavor, but still MORE flavor - I could at least taste it). One big bummer.

Apr 21, 2020
dogo88 from New Jersey

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent brew. Solid good tasting lager. No aftertaste and quenches your thirst. Low ABV means you can have a few and not worry about getting hammered. And at $.75 a can it's reasonably priced.

Mar 22, 2020
ILeftNJ from Pennsylvania

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Discovered this one by accident. So the beer I found very drinkable meaning I could have 2-3 and still tasted decent. I actually like the mild citrus flavor which make me think its an IPA. I buy it often but is not my #1 Lager.

Mar 13, 2020
ncdmz from North Carolina

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's fine but a bit underwhelming according to what I expected based on it's high lager score. Dosent really stand out with a definitive taste. A bit canny. Drinkable however but I probably would not seek it again.

Feb 21, 2020
WunderLlama from Massachusetts

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the founders bar at GR airport

Pilsner glass, clear, golden yellow liquid, one finger fizzy white foam cap , quickly recedes

Sweet straw aroma

Nice beer

Feb 21, 2020
gregO59 from New Jersey

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

rated for its style only lager in its style with great drinkability . I laugh when i go to beer store and see corona light 12 pack for 18$ and founders s g lager for 12$ FOOLS

Feb 03, 2020
tigg924 from Massachusetts

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours slightly murky, gold in color with 1/3 inch head. Taste is straw and slight earl grey tea. Light bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp and slightly bitter. Makes for a slightly above average version of the style.

Jan 22, 2020
josanguapo from Spain

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

16 Enero 2020. De BeerRepublic. En copa Alhambra. Jugando a Full Throttle Remastered. Bastante maltosa pero con oxidacion algo pasada de rosca que al principio no molesta mucho pero termina pasando factura y resultando seca. Avg 2.43.

17 Feb 2020. En copa Alhambra. Guardando etiquetas de birra y estudiando. Mucho mejor que la anterior que probe. Ahora no aprecio notas oxidadas y si bastante malta y un agradable perfil de lupulo citrico/herbal

Jan 16, 2020
Engender

Don't let the other reviews mislead you. This tastes nothing like a German or Czech pilsner. The primary taste is what ever taste you find in almost all other American microbrews.

Jan 13, 2020
Purdom from Georgia

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really good take on a pils. Might want a bit more bite on the back end but much better than most of the west coast Brewers that just dump in a bunch of hops and call it good.

Dec 20, 2019