Solid Gold | Founders Brewing Company

Solid GoldSolid Gold

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

For those of you familiar with the Solid Gold we’ve featured in our taproom for years, this is not the same beer. Our Brewmaster, Jeremy, completely revamped the recipe and it now features lager yeast, corn and lemondrop hops for just the right hit of flavor. Our take on a classic, Solid Gold is a drinkable golden lager brewed with the highest quality ingredients. Challenging what a lager can be? That’s something we won’t regret.

Added by drxandy on 06-24-2008

1.36/5  rDev -62.4%

Smells and tastes exactly like mens aftershave, biggest dilemma right now is trying to figure out if it more resembles Aqua Velva or Old Spice aftershave. This product is falsely advertised as Premium Lager but it tastes pretty much the same as Sierra Nevada Double IPA (which I can not stand) Wrote to Founders demanding a refund on this falsely advertised product.

1.73/5  rDev -52.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Waterly weak boring lacks the life of a real beer I would drink big disappointment

1.86/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Looks good in the glass , but you know what looks can be ,large foamy head that became surface film in no time. Oh, and no lacing. Aroma was highly citrus , with no malt either in smell or taste. I do know that lagers are supposed to be balanced.The lemon drop hops were overkill .That was basically all there is to this. I know that Founders prides itself on NOT brewing to style , but hey , if your going to do that , then at least put the word lager in quotes. I should have learned a few months ago when I ordered a draught of their "Pilsner" , and it tasted like grapefruit juice. If Solid Gold was a gladiator ,sorry , thumbs down.

2.01/5  rDev -44.5%

Fizzy yellow beer with a quickly dying head. The corn smell of bad beer is evident. Tastes awful as one might expect from bargain brand light lager. Corn, stewed hops, faint cracked malt flavors. The hop flavor is short lived but had a little integrity. Carbonation levels are fine, light aftertaste of cheap beer. Could have actually been good but as it is, even for the style, this stuff is crap and way overpriced.

2.18/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

2.19/5  rDev -39.5%

Drank from a 12 ounce can. Scores are based on the style.

Look - Relatively plain looking, but it isn't cluttered with anything unnecessary and looks mildly classy.

Smell - Lemony hops, and that's about it. No malt, corn, or other grain notes that I can pick out. Doesn't make me think of an AAL at all.

Taste - Like mixing a Surly Xtra Citra with a Budweiser. Strong hops presence to start with followed with a strange corny aftertaste. Not the best flavor.

Feel - Thin body with next to no carbonation. It's quite easy to drink.

Overall - I was hoping to settle down with a quality adjunct lager. Instead, I got something far too hoppy that didn't satisfy my craving at all. I wish craft brewers weren't afraid to make a lager that wasn't completely drowned out in excessive hops.

2.22/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I remember the first time I had this...when it was called Bud Light.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I didn't think too much of this one. Just not a good beer.

2.26/5  rDev -37.6%

This is way too hoppy to be a "American Adjunct Lager"
right away when i poured a glass and got the smell of it I knew it was too hoppy.
it's alright, not too strong, but too IPA tasting to be a AAL.

2.37/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm a big fan of founders. PC Pils is one of my favorites. This one, however, is an Adjunct beer. There is only so good that you can be when you add corn or rice to a beer. Is it better than Budweiser? Yes. Is it a lot better? Not really. It is not unpleasant, but it is Bland, flat, and kind of tasteless. Ice cold on a hot day, this would not be objectionable, but I can't see every buying this again with so many other great beers out there.

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

Well now, here we've got ourselves an honest to goodness 'craft' lager, and not just any craft lager, but a craft 'adjunct' lager. I've tried to locate the actual ingredients for Solid Gold but it's not to be found, not on the worldwide interwebs at least... so now I've got to deal with the knowledge that 'adjunct' refers to the blend of ingredients used to make this style of beer, which opens the door to stuff like corn, rice and other nasties. And, sadly, it looks like the characteristics of any 'adjunct' lager I've ever had the displeasure of drinking are present here, in this effort from a bonafide artisanal brewer. I suppose it's really a nostalgic turn they were going for? Not sure, but it's got zero body, it's got that popcorn-ey nose to it and a rather sticky aftertaste. I'm glad I only dropped $1.25 for a can that was on the singles shelf at my local package store and not $6 or $7 for a pint of this swill at a tavern.

2.61/5  rDev -27.9%

This beer is decent, it's just not what I expected. It's more like an IPA with a little malty sweetness. I was expecting a sweet, malty beverage. I had been eyeing this on the grocer's shelf for a while and I was disappointed. Not a bad beer, just not as advertised. I won't go out of my way to drink this again.

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

2.69/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Acidic/citrus laced aroma, hazy, yellow/gold color w/ a rocky head that maintained nearly finger width throughout in Pilsner glass. Hops dominate overall taste and it is smooth drinking even as it warms. Not my preferred type of AAL. $7.99 + tax for 6 pk cans.

Solid Gold from Founders Brewing Company