Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV

Added by CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

Reviews: 1,655 | Ratings: 6,408
3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

I've had a bottle of this kickin' in the fridge for some time now and I have finally decided to do a little write up. Right off the bat it looks a nice golden color with a puffy white head. The foam collapsed quicker than I'd expect, but that might be due to some soap residue on the glass. All in all though, it's a pretty nice looking beer. The aroma is very heavy with citrusy hops. It's a pleasant grapefruit smell with a little malt coming through as well. This beer really starts to lose me at the taste. It's not too bad, but it just seems to be hop juice. There is a little malty caramel flavor, like the aroma, and a little alcohol burn, but it's pretty much just in your face hops. Mouth feel is a little prickly but I wouldn't say it's overly carbonated, it's just right with just enough viscosity.

Overall not to bad, especially if you're in to big hop flavor. It's just not my favorite DIPA. I think there are some others that are a bit better balanced. Certainly wouldn't turn this down, but probably won't pick up again.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from 12oz Bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden in color with a small white head that dissipates slowly and leaves lots of foam left floating on top of the beer.

Smell: Mostly tropical and citrusy hop aromas, with some slight floral hints.

Taste: Begins with a mango-esque flavor, finishing with a strong piney bitterness and some buttery malt notes alongside alcohol hints.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation and a sticky finish.

Drinkability: A good beer, but lacks depth to be a truly great DIPA. Definitely a good beer and worth a shot, though if I'm in the mood for a DIPA, I'd look this one over in favor of others.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Served from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass...purchased from Curtis Liquors in Cohasset, MA.

Appearance - Poured a hazy golden color with 2 fingers width of white frothly head. After the head settled, nice lacing could be found.

Smell - Strong hop smell. Notes of citrus (lemon and grapefruit) and earthy pine.

Taste - Very little malt flavor. Obviously there is a strong hop flavor. The citrus from the smell really comes through in the taste. The pine isn't as noticeable in the taste. The higher alcohol can be detected towards the end of the sip, but is overall well masked.

Mouthfeel - Has a thicker more syrupy feel which is expected from a DIPA. Very low carbonation, almost too low.

Drinkability - Pretty good considering this is a DIPA. I wouldn't want to have to many in one sitting but overall, this is a good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A -- A golden brew that pours into a two finger head and dissipates quickly into a light skim leaving light beads of lacing.

S -- A great hit of tropical fruits, mango, pineapple, and light essences of apricot and citrus rind.

T -- Citrus zest, grapefruit, bitter pineapple, a hint of malt peeks through but lacks the will to attempt balancing the brew.

M -- Slightly syrupy and resinous, fitting to the style. Highly drying with a long linger.

D -- Definitely worth a shot, a hint off balance but still solid.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to Scoot1969 for the bottle!

Poured into a Goose Island pint glass. Almost clear, golden-yellow-wheat body. A much lighter, more yellow color than you typically see for a DIPA. Leaves about one finger of foamy white head on top and some subtle lacing.

Fairly hoppy with a good amount of citrus on the nose. Lemon zest and a touch of caramel. Green, leafy, hops.

The taste is sweet upfront with lemon infused biscuits. This transitions to a somewhat jarring wave of hops, which are almost too bitter. Leaves a slightly astringent, boozy, bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Smooth up front with a rush of hops on the finish. The ABV is somewhat masked by the hops, but still comes through on the finish. Not a huge fan of the aftertaste.

Overall, this is a pretty decent DIPA, but with so many breweries pumping out DIPAs these days, Founders isn't quite cutting it with Double Trouble. Not a bad beer, but there are many other better DIPAs out there. However, the hop profile is unique enough that this might be a favorite for a few people.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

If you like hops this beer is the way to go.

Both smell and taste contain an overabundance of hops. With the smell you get the strong scent of piney hoppiness and with taste you get a punch of hoppiness with a slight sense of sweetness that passes quickly and leaves the robust flavor of bitter hops in your mouth. And that flavor sticks for a while. The feeling it leaves is of a crisp, powerful IPA: A big bite with a hoppy aftertaste. Personally this is a strong IPA for me. I like an IPA with a little more balance to it, this beer seems to give too much hops. If you love hops and just hops in your beer than this beer is a winner. As for me I did enjoy it but just a hint too much bitter with only a little malt or sweetness to balance it out.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

This poured an opaque straw color with no head. It smelled like lemon and cultured yeast, with a bit of grapefruit. It tasted like lemon and orange hops, with bready yeast and a bit of honey and tea and grapefruit. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a pretty clean flavor, but it wasn't as tasty as I was hoping. I had this right after Maharaja, and it reminded me of when I tried Ruination immediately following HopSlam. The flavor ends up getting a lot more tea leafy, for some reason. I might have to try this again by itself. Body was nice, and alcohol was well hidden, so it was certainly easy to drink. I just imagined this would have been more crisp and delicious.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

12 oz dated bottle into a pint glass.

pours a hazy golden yellow and forms a thin, bubbly head right away. head calms quickly to a thin film and leaves a few legs of lace, but not enough to stand on.

smells mostly of resiny, piney hops with a little citrus fruit. not bad, but weaker than i was expecting.

taste is like hops shaking your hand, then punching you in the mouth. a little malt (toffeeish?) at first, then BAM! sharp. bitter. piney. hops. notes of juniper in the finish maybe? the aftertaste reminds me of drinking gin. alcohol content becomes more noticeable as the beer warms up.

mouthfeel is pretty good. medium bodied with just the right amount of co2.

definitely not sessionable. drinkability is average i guess, unless you like your beer as bitter as possible. i generally like ipa's but i might have to steer away from double ipa's. certainly not a boring beer, but i can't see myself drinking this often.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Golden copper colored body with good clarity. One finger of foam on top that settles quickly but leaves nice lace.

S - Nice, citrus and pine hop aromas; very resiny. Some sweet malt and light caramel underneath, but hops dominate.

T - Strong, spicy hops up front with a distinct pine character. A lot of malt sweetness is trying to balance out the hop flavors, but fails as a strong, harsh and soapy bitterness comes out in the finish. Somewhat acrid aftertaste with a bit of alcohol warmth.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a somewhat sweet finish with lingering astringency from the hops.

D - This beer begins with a lot of potential, great hop aroma and initial hop flavor, but the harsh bitterness ruins it for me. It has very nice hop aroma that is almost on the level of Hopslam, but the acrid bitterness reminds me of Ruination. There is a lot of malt in there trying to balance the beer, but the heavy handed bitterness all but obliterates any sweetness. If you like extreme, harshly bitter beers, this might be nice, but I prefer hop character and for me the excessive bitterness makes this an unbalanced beer that I will not drink again.

Bottled 03/29/11

A - Golden yellow with one inch head that fades quickly.

S - Grapefruit, orange and citrus. Noticeable alcohol in the background.

T - Bready malts followed by a wave of bitter grapefruit. Some orange in there as well.

M - Medium with low to average carbonation.

O - This one is definitely a hop bomb with plenty of tongue buckling bitterness. Seems a bit one dimensional to me though.

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%

As the liquid topples turbulently into the glass, I am reminded of the back yard of my childhood. The Perfectly clear golden, like the afternoon sun shining down through the English ivy that covered all of the trees. An ample head sprouts up. It disappears in short order, but leaves a beautiful sheet of lacing.
And so i would climb up the dead trees, some leaning on others just to stay up, but I was too light for it to matter. The ivy leaves would break and crush under my hands and feet, and a distinctly "green" aroma... is this Nugget? So resiny. There is a balance there, but it's more of just a sugary-sweet rather than a real malt "character." Reminds me a bit of Nugget Nectar... but the high alcohol doesn't come without a price. There are some fusels in there as well.
And the flavour is much the same, the sweetness of cane sugar, not bready malt, the resin of pine trees or the ivy I used to make pretend "salads" of when I was but a chap. The alcohol comes out as well, in a disappointing way. Were this toned down to 8%, I could see it being much better.
The body is big and syrupy, very warming as a result of the alcohols... lightly dry in the finish.
The memories only go so far... Everything seems hazy now, how long ago... how many places I've lived, people I've touched... the world was innocent then. No longer. The finish, the warming, the effects... show this beer to be a lot like life. It may remind me initially of happier times... but the finish is dry.

At least I can awake to new purpose!

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottled 02/09/12 and drank 04/04/12. This is my second time having Double Trouble, but my first time reviewing it.

A golden hue that is slightly more cloudy than a BMC. Foamy white head about an inch that dissipates down to about a quarter inch that then lingers...

Smell is piney resin with grapefruit overload. The scent is not as strong as many other DIPAs though.

Taste is more dulled hops than bright citrusy. Dull bitterness that has a nice malty backbone. When I sip it inbetween bites of bread the grapefruit really shines through. Better to offset with food than straight up.

Mouth is nice thick malty. Slightly under-carbed. Bitter finish that keeps the mouth moist. Hard to tell this is 9.4%.

Glad to try, but if I were to buy a DIPA it would not be this one. I would purchase other ones before this one.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Looks great, light colored IIPA with little head retention.

S: Strong hop aromas that you remember long after the brew is gone.

T: Hoptastic at first taste, but then bam... intense bitterness follows. Maybe my palate just isn't used to the bitter aftertaste, but smooth it was not. Luckily there is a good amount of malt padding to keep this drinkable.

M: Smooth and lightly carbonated, feel good feeling.

D: One then that's it... This is a big hopped up beer that deserves more respect than trying to drink more than one in a sitting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APP- Golden in color with slight haze. I think it may due to non-filtration. Nice head lasts less then a minute..leaves a nice ring.

Smell- Very tropical/mango/citrus aroma. Sweet malt undertones. Slightly alcohol aroma.

Taste- Pungent tropical hop flavor upfront. Takes a second for the hops to mellow and the malt to come through. Not surprising for the style but I was expecting something more mellow based on aroma.

O/D- Not sure the date on the bottle I had but can't wait to have some fresh. (Founders soon coming to Vt) There was something in the finish I didn't care for. But will give it another shot soon.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Dark gold beer, mildly aromatic. Very boozy and bitter, nicely malty. This is a good DIPA but not one of my favorites; I feel its lacking a bit in the details; not a lot of floral, citrus, piney notes. Mostly I get bitter hops, malt, and booze...as expected. Just like a little more complex flavor profile..maybe something like Firestone Walker Double Jack?

Good mouthfeel on this one, with a relatively dry, short finish.

To each his own. I will buy some more of these and revisit soon enough.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orange/yellow with a small head when poured down the middle of a snifter. Hops and grapefruit just assail the nose. The taste is all hops and citrus with just a hint of pine. The bitterness is way up there. This is very dry leaving me feeling as though I need to hydrate. This one is a bruiser of an imperial IPA. The name fits well. No finessing here. No balance either. Hop monster. For my palate this bruiser was just too much of a good thing.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours to a golden yellowy, orange color with an off white head that does not stick around, very little head retention. The beer glues itself to the side of the glass making me think the mouthfeel will be sticky.

Appearance Rating: 2 out of 3

Aroma: Dank, piney hops and a huge sweet malt dominate the first part of the aroma. The grapefruit and citrus hopiness and a small amount of apricot come in next, followed by a warming alcohol. To be expected at 9.4% ABV! Smells like a great IPA should!

Aroma Rating: 11 out of 12

Flavor: My first taste was hit with the same resiny, piney hops from the aroma. They almost come across as onion-like to me, with their green bitterness. The middle has the malt and somewhat of a peachy hop flavor, giving you a nice relief from the initial hop attack. The warming alcohol sensation finishes it off. A persistent bitterness hangs on the back, not my favorite characteristic of some IPAs.

Flavor Rating: 14 out of 20

Mouthfeel: Despite my assumption at the beginning about the body being heavy, it actually comes across on the medium side, with low carbonation. Again the alcohol warmth comes into play, with little carbonation there isn’t much to help mask it. And still the bitterness lingers on the back and sides of the tongue.

Mouthfeel Rating: 3 out of 5

Overall: The color, aroma and all the hype surrounding this one by the BA community, set you up to think that you’re going to enjoy another stellar IPA from Founder’s. The bitterness and malt hold on longer than I would expect from an ELITE IPA these days, not that I don’t like bitter in my IPAs, it just takes over on this one and leaves your palate wrecked after one of these guys. It seems to be more bitter than the 86 IBUs it states on the bottle.

The elite IPAs recently have taken that turn towards a bitterness that hit you hard up front but goes away quickly so you can enjoy your next sip with its full glory. And to be honest, I kind of like that! A little age would do this one wonders, I think, so away one goes for a year or so and another review!

So that leads me back to Double Trouble, not a bad brew by any means, but not nearly as elite as I was led to believe!

Overall Rating: 7 out of 10

Total Rating: 37 out of 50

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a deep golden orange hue with a head that never quite forms. Leaves no lacing.

S - Medium pine up front, followed by strong malt, grapefruit, hop resin, and a small amount of wheat and banana. Smells like a true IPA.

T - Strong bitter malt bite up front, followed by a lingering bitter hoppyness. The grapefruit makes a slight appearance as well but it stays bitter and malt forward.

M - Mouthfeel retains all mentioned flavros with low carbonation and a heavy body. Mouthfeel really allows the 9.4% to shine as well. It seriously doesn't even make a half assed attempt to mask it.

O - Overall, this beer was good, however not something that I would pick up again. It was simply too bitter in my opinion. Not that bitter is a terrible thing, it's just that usually when I'm wanting to enjoy an IPA I actually want to enjoy the flavors and not just the ridiculous boozyness. BUT, for it being 9.4%, I guess I can't complain. However, for $4 a bottle, I will definitely pass in the future.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Slightly burnt orange color. Above average carbonation. Two fingers of head on the pour. Sticky lacing on the edges of the glass. Looks like a DIPA should.

Smell: Pine probably sticks out the most. Tangerines, oranges, lemon, with some light caramel, and buttered popcorn. A nice balanced aroma, nothing is too strong and nothing is seriously lacking. At the same time nothing blows me away, its just very solid all the way around.

Taste: A syrupy pine flavor hits right away. Saturated tangerines and some bright fruits like melon and pineapple. A slightly dry hop finish sticks on the palette. The high alcohol content adds to this dryness. Pretty solid hop action and nice fruity accents but again nothing is knocking me over.

Mouthfeel: Dry with some fruity hops lingering.

Overall: A solid DIPA. I've never been too impressed with Founder's IPAs but this one is better then the others. With how competitive the DIPA field is this day, this one falls short on being something truly memorable. A good easy drinker for sure though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another Founders I'm pleased to drink and pours a pineapple hue with the fluffiest two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is a good combination of malts and hops with aromas of pineapple,boiled candy,lychee,caramel candy and torn orange leaves,the mouthfeel is over medium bodied with beautiful moderate carbonation and the taste starts off with pineapple,strong citrus,sweet caramel candy and finished with a passionfruit bittersweetness and overall it's very drinkable with its ABV not noticeable at all and yeah it's nice but there's better DIPA's out there cheers.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good but not great. Was drinking Heyoka, Ca$h Money and Unsessionable the same night and Double Trouble was just not on the same level. Left me wanting more with every sip / gulp. Very mild flavored and slightly bitter. Very little back end.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz undated bottle poured into a pint glass. Great label!

A- Double Trouble pours a hazy golden amber color with a white head of foam that quickly settles to a top coat and ring, and leaves some good lacing on the sides. Rather light colored for style. Significant amount of sediment in bottle was added, for better or worse, about 3 sips in.

S- nice aroma featuring piney and floral hops with an underlying sweet caramel scent. Slightly earthy. High ABV apparent.

T- Good grapefruit, orange and pine flavored hops with an underlying caramel malt backbone. Rather earthy mid-palate onwards.

M- smooth; medium body; low/moderate carbonation.

O - Double Trouble is a respectable DIPA worth trying. I'd probably like this better with a lower ABV.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into chalice.
No B.O.D. on bottle

Aroma: Bright citrusy hops, biscuity malt, a faint green apple twang, followed by pineapple and grapefruit on the end.

Appearance: Beautiful clear (for style) yellow-golden body. 2-finger head slowly collapses to an off-white foam cap w/ nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

Flavor: Honey sweetness, bold bitternes, musky grapefruit, followed by a sharp bitterness that hangs on at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-light body for the style. Medium carbonation. Hops are slightly drying on the tongue.

Overall: A decent DIPA with bracing bitterness and fruity hop aroma and flavor. A little bit less than I'd hoped for in the malt department, but it's clear that Founders was aiming for a cleaner, lighter DIPA rather than one with a malty whallop.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a large white head that had great retention. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Huge pungent hop aroma. Mostly grapefruit but there is also other citrus fruits involved such as oranges and apricots. The flavor is one dimensional. More grapefruit and citrus flavors. Very high bitterness even at the proclaimed 86 IBUs. Alcohol is the only other flavor other than hops. Has a good body and carbonation but it can only do so much against the harshness of the hops. This beer is a poster child for palate fatigue. The high alcohol does not help either. Hopheads only need apply.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Mid taking care of another want of mine. Thanks Allen!

12oz format w/ a 10oz Nonic style taster glass
-03/05/12 notes

A: Double Trouble pours a light goldenrod hue with great clarity. Minimal off-white head that dispels rather quickly leaving light streaks of lace with each sip.

S: Aroma is packed with a real dense pine character. I get some light citrus zest, lemony and tropical even. Some fruity pale malts and a bit of alcohol perks as the brew climbs towards room temp. Pretty nice nose. Real zesty.

T: Taste is piney for sure with a nice prickly upper-moderate bitterness to it. Sweet pale malts and some light tropical passion fruit notes. But way less actual fruit flavors than what is suggested by the nose. A touch of warming alcohol. Nice but a real step down from the nose for me.

M: Mouthfeel is medium in body with a nice creamy froth feel. A light sleekness and bit of resinous hop pucker with a crisp dry finishing on it.

D: Big piney bitter DIPA just about sums it up for me. Somewhat smooth balance and nice but a bit one dimensional in flavors.
Would have again but preference would be super fresh or on tap. Not Founders best work. Could use some more depth of flavor.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company