Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

Added by CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

Reviews: 1,655 | Ratings: 6,407
3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottled 4-17-13

A--Fairly transparent, golden, almost mass-produced lager-like. Head is nice but dissipates quickly.

S--Very strong, eye-opening aroma, dominated by grapefruit. Will beer be this one dimensional?

T--Thankfully, no, there is a great deal of complexity here, with a nice balance between a slight sweetness and hops that add up to more than a grapefruit bomb. Beer is potent and somewhat hot, with a a bitter finish that makes the back of the tongue curl. It's a pretty nice combo, somewhat reminiscent of Deviant Dale's.

M--A somewhat weird combination of dry and syrupy.

Overall, I am sympathetic to the reviewer who said he never knew quite what to make of this, and I'm not sure I do, either, but I just finished one 12 oz. bottle, I enjoyed it, but I now need a nap, and after the nap I will switch to something else. But I must say as a hophead I am enjoying the bitter, tongue-curling finish that lingers nicely. Certainly a quality DIPA that ipa lovers must try.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - poured golden and brilliant with 2 finger white lacy head.

s grapefruit and pine

t - powerful grapefruit, pine forward hop presence but strong enough malt to support the huge hops

M smooth but slightly sticky mouthfeel, appropriate for the style

o one of the best IIPA's I've ever had

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Melt Bar & Grilled. Poured into a pint glass.

A - A gorgeous straw, golden color with a pretty good amount of haze to it. It has a nice white 1 finger head on it that leaves some moderate lacing on the glass. Nice and bubbly lacing. Looks reallly smooth in the glass, for some reason I just kept thinking that as I drank this.

S - Smell isn't the hop bomb that I was expecting from this DIPA. It still has a great amount of hop aroma, I was just expecting to get hit with a giant punch to the nose. I get grapefruit mainly with some pineapple and piney undertones. I also get a bit of malty tones in the nose as well which is nice.

T - Suprised here as well. Founders has been known to completely kick me in the face with the giant flavors, and as huge as the flavor of this beer is, its tremendously smooth. All the hoppy notes are present, grapefruit leading the way with the pine really sticking out as well. Its got a nice sweet finish to it as well from the malts I'm guessing and it doesn't finish that super bitter way either, its just outright, smoooth like michael jackson doing the thriller or something.

M - A very smooth beer. Moderate on the mouth, but not overwhelmingly heavy. Finishes somewhat dry, but I'm not complaining about that.

D - Very very drinkable beer. Its so smooth and the alcohol isn't coming through that much in the nose or taste that you could drink a few of these and that 9.4% would catch you way off guard. Think I may be grabbing a sixer of this on my next stop at Warehouse.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Liefmans Cervoise.

A-> Aggressive pour yields minimal head but the color is a gorgeous cloudy gold/amber not quite orange color. Good amount of lacing.

S-> Citrus but refined, possile bready whiffs? Pine for sure with hoppy lovelyness.

T-> pine hop resin at the forefront, some muted citrus (Possibly not the freshest DT I've had) hoppy bitterness returns towards the back, very smoooth, refreshing, gorgeous.

M-> crisp, smooth beautiful, again refreshing, delcious. Booze is very well hidden for almost the whole glass, maybe rears it's head slightly towards the end. Not a fault by any means however.

O-> Exceptionally balanced and enjoyable. Right up there with the best double IPAs (that I have tasted anyway) and just a fantastic brew.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - golden with a 2 finger white head; light to no lacing

Smell - light aroma, not much here that impresses

Taste - very smooth, decent chew but good hop flavor

Feel - medium body; average chew for a double ipa

Overall: would fall well behind my favorite IPAs; good but not memorable.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a tulip from a 12 oz bottle.

This beer poured a nice golden pale color with a very nice white head. There is a considerable amount of lacing and it smells of citrus, pine and malt. The taste is a mirror image of the smell. The carbonation is medium for the style and very enjoyable. Another high class brew from Founders.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

I travel a lot for work, just deployed to Atlanta, so stopped by Hop City to grab some Founders which I don't have back in NY.

Appearance - golden amber, minor carbonation. Small head that quickly disappeared leaving only minor lacing. Right now seems somewhat lackluster. Not cloudy at all.

Smell - very fruity/citrusy. Strawberries, peach, pineapple, smell lots of fruit in this one. Very sweet, floral. Fruity esters.

Taste - AMAZING! So much flavor on this imperial ipa. All the sweet/sourness of a fruit salad. Definitely taste some blackberries. Extremely well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Very light and thin. Not much carbonation as I'm used to in an ipa, but goes down incredibly smooth.

Drinkability - So easy to drink this 9.4% IIPA. Alcohol is hidden very well by the amazing fruity/hoppy flavor. I would have another. So much for saving the 3 left out of my four pack to bring back to NY!

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a hazy, maize color with a white head and lacing that lasts. The smell is wonderful - a little bit of sweet pine, with some grapefruit and generalized citrusy notes. The taste is superb - incredibly smooth from start to finish. Some mellow maltiness up front, followed by some passion fruit and lemon zest, and finshes crisp and slightly bitter. The alchohol is hidden well for the most part, a little bit of esters in the nose and warmth at the end of the taste. Another phenomenal offering from Founders - Well done!

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an Imperial pint glass

A-Translucent golden amber with almost a finger of head that reduced to a trace

S- First hops and honey, then the subtleties of cantelope and butter

T- Bitterness of hops first then mellows to sweet honey with pine notes

M- Nice mild and smooth DIPA not a huge pucker power and acts more like a pale ale or regular India pale ale

D- Immensely drinkable with a great hop to sweet profile

If you like a hoppy DIPA but don't like to be punched in the face and want to have more than one, this is for you

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a light golden body with a foamy slightly off white head.

S: Tons of citrus. Ruby red grapefruit is almost overpowering, but it is in no way offensive. Floral in addition to strawberry and mild hop bitterness.

T: Mild bitterness that slowly builds in strength, met with a mild malt sweetness. Finishes like a grapefruit, bitter and slightly tart. Hides the abv very well, much like PtE but this has even more.

M: Mouthfeel is medium, with a lot of structure. No hint of wateriness.

O: Awesome. It's a great choice for hopheads used to west coast ales but are looking to try a slightly different flavor profile.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

When I had this brew last year, it wasn't really one of my favorites, but whether it's that Founders tweaked the recipe or my palate has evolved since then, I'm finding that this has been one of my go-to DIPAs over the past month or so.

It pours a hazy, light golden color with a nice two-finger off-white head that leaves some latticework around the edges of the glass. The nose is outstanding…notes of mango and orange dominate, with some floral notes in the mix as well. Those sweet citrus notes are what immediately hits the palate, but as it makes it's way down the throat, those spicy hops make their presence known, albeit not too overpowering….and a touch of the 9% alcohol is there, as well. This is a chewy, bitter DIPA, which is what I've grown to love for the style.

I'd love to have this side-by-side with some of my favorites…Hopslam, Dreadnaught, etc….just to see how it compares, but regardless, I'm glad it's been on the shelves as long as it has!!

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From tap into Growler poured in tulip shaped glass

Appearance: Golden hue yellow, slightly hazy, amber with a thin white head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell: Strong tropical fruit presence with a nice hoppy blend. Plums, grape fruit flavors, peach, mango, and earthy simcoe hops presence.

Taste: bittery on the front end from the explosive hop presence, and a nice sweetness on the back end from the peaches, mango, and tropical fruits. Very earthy, and biter sweet. I can't taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body and moderate carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great Imperial Double IPA. It is one of my favorite DIPA. It is very well balanced. I like it better than Ruination.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a pint rich honey golden with a dense head that quickly fell, leaving a sticky lace throughout. Waves of pine resin and grapefruit citrus rise from the glass to the nose. The beer strikes the mouth thick with an alcohol warmth. While the hops attack in a floral pine bite, they are backed equally by a toasty malty backbone of sweet balance. The hops never subside, the tongue tingles from their spice, but the malt continues to deliver sweet burnt caramel. Grapefruit citrus swirls around the mouth. After it's gone, the tingle of hops and the warm glow of 9.4% abv are the obvious remains. this is a huge beer that brings a massive balance between a mountain of hops and an ocean of malt. The alcohol takes a flavor back seat but punches harder than some 11%s I've had (unearthly for one). To steal from Shaefer: this is the one beer to have when you're having only one! Afterwards, the mouth is corrupted and the mind is fogged. Founders has balanced it's no-prisoners hop attack with a huge malt presence that warms the mouth. DIPA it it's finest.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Beer pours orange/copper in copper is color with a nice 1 finger head that fades to a slight lacing. Decent lacing left in glass. Smell is very floral with a grapefruit/citrus aroma. Sweet caramel malt is also present. Initial taste is a sweet caramel that is followed by a nice citrus/grapefruit taste that finishes slightly grassy. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation and alcohol is well hidden.

A good beer. Not sure I like it more than the Centennial IPA they offer, but that's me. The hops are nicely complemented by the sweet malt in the beer but not too much overpower what should be the focus of any good DIPA...the hops.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Orange color, very clear with minimal head. Lacing is thick and soapy on the sides of my ale glass.

S- Major citrus fruit hops and a tad bit of sweet caramel malt.

T- Very unbalanced. Hops taste more piny than citrusy and is very, very bitter. I like it because I love hops but I get really little malt from this one. Can get a bit of alcohol as well, but it's pretty well hidden.

M- Thicker than I'd expect. Very bitter aftertaste makes my mouth happy.

D- Very drinkable beer for hops lovers. Will have this again for sure.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Acquired through a trade.

A: Great Clarity, clear, golden/copper color. 1 finger head that faded quickly. No lacing.

S: Tart, Complex, citrus fruit, sweet

T: Less fruity than the smell, citrus and tart aftertaste, big hop presence with a strong hop aftertaste.

M: Clean, Medium carbonation, hoppy bite.

O: Great beer, Great flavor, but drinkability isn't good enough for this beer to be as highly rated as it is.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

I love this one in the late months of winter.

A: Pours a orangish yellow with with a 2 finger head. There is pretty good lacing on this one.

S: Smells of sweet grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops.

T: There is a great balance of malt to hops the accompanies the bright citrus notes of grapefruit and pineapple. There is a good taste of pine at the end too.

M: Medium to full mouthfeel with a little bit of carbonation.

D: This stuff is awesome. It's super easy to drink and the 9.4% ABV is very well masked.

I can't wait for this to hit the shelves again late this year.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle with no date opened on 9/7/11 and poured into my Founders pint glass.

A- Pours a golden yellow. A bit hazy. Very little head but it does leave some lacing around the glass.

S- Citrus hops (mainly grapefruit and orange) dominate followed by some malt. Some pine, too. Smells nice, but just a bit underwhelming.

T- Follows the nose, of course. First, it's bitter and fruity, but then the malt and alcohol flavor come in. Nice bitter aftertaste, too.

M- Maybe a little boozy but it's extremely refreshing for the abv.

O- I've had this before (in the winter) and was a bigger fan of it then. Of course, this all boils down to preference, but I do prefer my IIPAs to be hop bombs and almost overwhelmingly so. As it stands, it's a great beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Founders makes amazing beers. Everyone of them is spot on! I am a big fan of their Cerise, but it has been discontinued. I am looking forward to their raspberry.

Double IPAs are my favorite style of beer, when done right. Many have a distracting malt presence that I am not fond of.

DT has a nice malt support system for the wonderful hop wham.

Appearance - looks like beer.

smell - citrusy tropical splendor.

Taste - great mouth feel, Great balance. Big body. NICE bitterness, full body. And, whoa - 9%.

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

The refreshing smell of hops compliments the steady hop taste with a smooth easy feel. The hops are not overpowering, but they bring a crisp delight to an easy drinking ale/apa. Double trouble is definitely a good name!

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

First off, there is nothing otherworldly about DT. It's like a bigfoot said, "What can I do to make myself absolutely chugable; I don't mind giving up a little something." The beer looks great and the aroma is just generic "hops" - no passionfruit, no mango, no pine, no grapefruit, just "hops".

Where this beer shines is it's absolute enjoyability and ease of drinking. You don't focus on the intricacies, you just enjoy it. When I have a hopslam or a gueuze or a perfect RIS, my eyes light up. This doesn't happen here, but it is a great beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Beautiful cloudy amber. One finger head.

S - Hops have a floral/citrus quality. Something in the citrus arena I can't quite identify. No alcohol aroma I expected from the higher ABV.

T - The citrus from the nose is all over the taste along with a slight alcohol bite. Fantastic experience for the style. Lingering citrus in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body with very muted carbonation.

D - Good. One at a time to appreciate the experience.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into snifter

A - cloudy golden color with a good amount of active carbonation. Relatively small head leaves a good amount of sticky lacing. (note: I fell asleep without washing my glass and a huge amount of lacing was stuck on my snifter in the morning, more then I originally thought!)

S - Nice citrus smell with a slight note of simcoe. Decent amount of bready yeast but not too much else.

T - this beer is huge on grapefruit so if you are a fan of that then this is your beer. This is another hop lovers dream beer but there are a few better DIPA's in my personal opinion.

M - I really don't find fault in any of Founders mouthfeels. All are exceptional or almost exceptional. This one doesn't disappoint. Ideal for the style.

D - well, fantastic. It's a DIPA. All of them go down like water, but it's not the best. I still think Founders is the best brewery in the USA, just not the best makers of IPA's.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%

a- this beer was kind of light in the appearance.

s- I thought that the aroma was pretty good. I could definately smell tons of citrusy hops.

t- The flavor of this beer is awesome. Their is tons of citrus and there is a little bite of alcohol that isnt to overpowering.

m- Crisp and clean mouthfeel.

d- I could drink about a dozen of these. I am really enjoying the hops on this one. Great beer

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

A - The color of marmalade and honey. Thin head, lacing is minimal (possibly due to over-rinsing glass because of a previously contaminated beer, boo).

S - Grassy, grapefruit. It all comes back to grapefruit.

T - Candied orange peel, lemon. Herbal hop flavor but little bitterness (lingering bitterness). "Definitely isn't harsh".

M - Smoooth, bubbly on my tongue.

O/D - Yes. Exceptionally drinkable, I'd say. Good beer to drink before Trailer Park Boys.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company