Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

Ratings: 6,429 |  Reviews: 1,656

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Well this is another winner in my book. It pours a hazy straw color eventually becoming clear. The head is minimal, but there is plenty of observable lacing. Smell is pine, resin, maybe even (maybe I'm crazy) mint. Mouthfeel is excellent. It is full and satisfying. Taste is a beautiful sweet fruit upfront and a pronounced bitterness on the finish followed by the warmth you might expect from a higher ABV volume beer. But it is amazing just how well this beer is balanced. The alcohol is well masked with the only real hint taste wise being the warm feeling at the very end. This beer is just pretty awesome!!!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Found a single of this in Wisconsin. It was my first seasonal Founders brew.

Appearance - wow, unbelievably light for a double at 9%.

Smell - nothing extraordinary, but nothing to set off any alarms either.

Taste - good golly, this is a delicious beer. The lightness of its appearance is really transmitted to the taste. I looked for the alcohol content on the bottle after each drink to make sure I was reading it correctly. Goes down like a dream.

Mouthfeel - again, the high alcohol content is not a factor here. A little crisper than I like, but still delicious.

Overall - after returning to Michigan from Wisconsin, I now find Double Trouble everywhere. It's hard to buy anything else when I'm in the mood for a double IPA!

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a deep golden orange hue with a head that never quite forms. Leaves no lacing.

S - Medium pine up front, followed by strong malt, grapefruit, hop resin, and a small amount of wheat and banana. Smells like a true IPA.

T - Strong bitter malt bite up front, followed by a lingering bitter hoppyness. The grapefruit makes a slight appearance as well but it stays bitter and malt forward.

M - Mouthfeel retains all mentioned flavros with low carbonation and a heavy body. Mouthfeel really allows the 9.4% to shine as well. It seriously doesn't even make a half assed attempt to mask it.

O - Overall, this beer was good, however not something that I would pick up again. It was simply too bitter in my opinion. Not that bitter is a terrible thing, it's just that usually when I'm wanting to enjoy an IPA I actually want to enjoy the flavors and not just the ridiculous boozyness. BUT, for it being 9.4%, I guess I can't complain. However, for $4 a bottle, I will definitely pass in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%