Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV

Added by CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

Ratings: 6,436 |  Reviews: 1,657

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

I'm a big fan of Michigan beers, generally, and Founders, specifically. I love their Rye IPA, like the Centennial IPA and would drink the All Day IPA on just about any day.

However, as with other imperial IPAs, I find myself downgrading this beer a bit because the relatively high alcohol content almost overwhelms the beer. I prefer a strong hop kick of a first-class IPA to the inevitable alcohol taste of an imperial.

It looked good in the glass (if a little paler than expected), smelled fine (some imperial IPAs really give away the alcohol in the odor), and tasted pretty good. I've had beers of this style that are not at all subtle, so I gave this Double Trouble fairly high marks because it is a pretty good representative of its class.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance a little cloudy goldy, i was hoping for a slightly darker brew for the ABV. the only reason i gave it a 4.5

Smell definitely hopy, grape-fruity, citrus y, a hint of boozyness

Taste just your classic double IPA, the difference between this and others is you can taste the quality, I taste the hops right off the bat. goes down smooth. I best describe it by saying it taste like grapefruit. yummy.. would never guess this has a high ABV..

Mouthfeel smooth, a little bubbly,

Overall an amazing brew, will drink again, will reccomend, in fact Im getting up to grab a cold one now.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Spiegelau tulip. Bottled on March 20, 2012 printed on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear light gold with orange highlights and a 1 finger foamy snow white head. Excellent head retention and lacing.

Smell: Sweet citrus, pine, pineapple, candied fruits and sweet malt. Aroma reminds me a lot of Lagunitas Lucky 13.

Taste: Grapefruit and pine dominate throughout with a bit of sweet and lightly toasted malt in the background. Aftertaste is quite bitter and long-lasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with just the right amount of prickly carbonation. The hop oils really coat the mouth.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. This one goes down very easily for a beer with 9.4% ABV. I could see myself drinking multiples before the alcohol told me to stop.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. While the bottle I had was over 4 months old, the hops really hadn't faded like I feared they would have. I'd love to try it fresh. I would highly recommend trying this one. I really wish I had more than just the one bottle. Too bad Founders doesn't distribute down here in southwest Florida.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%