Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

Added by CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

Ratings: 6,430 |  Reviews: 1,654

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy dark gold with a very thin white head that is quick to fade away leaving just a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma has very juicy orange/tangerine notes with some undercurrents of grass and earth. Just the slightest touch of dankness as well. The more I nose this beer the more the aromas reveal themselves.

The flavor, somewhat oddly, lacks the complexity found in the nose. Intense bitterness right away with somewhat buried orange and tangerine notes. A bit of a buttery component here with a little caramel and toast. Huge bitterness lingers on through the finish.

Overall, I was expecting quite a bit more from this beer. Sure the bitterness is here and the aroma is decent but I found the flavor to be really lacking. A little more hop flavor and less hop bitterness would be wonderful.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I know that I keep saying that I am trying to divest myself of bottles, but when I was over at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop on Wednesday following a doctor's appointment for swollen ankles, I needed one to fill out a mixed six and amazingly, I have not reviewed this previously.

My aggro pour not only caused a pseudo-cascade which settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention, but it released a lot of esters. So much so that my eyes watered briefly and I even sneezed! In the interim, the head began to fall, leaving sticky acing in its wake. I would need a jackhammer later to remove all of it. Color was reminiscent of the old television show, Solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity! This, of course, brought forth the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas, all clamoring for some of my gelt. I went for a deeper sniff instead and found the nose to be a combination of pine tar and caramel, but in a very nice way. Mouthfeel was dense and heavy, like a dollop on the tongue. It came with a boxer's one-two punch with the fusel alcohol heat softening up my poor, bruised tongue and then the intense pine hops hitting right behind. Holy ...! I was rendered at a loss for words for a moment and it caused me to wonder what kind of havoc its brother, Devil Dancer, might be like. Phew. 86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV, just the way I like to start every day. I know that fresher is better, especially when it comes to hops and this read "Bottled 06/17/2014" and I began to wonder what it might be like aged. Phew. Did I say that already? My eyes were watering, my nose was running and I was beginning to doubt my self-proclaimed hophead status. Finish hit like a belt to the solar plexus and if you have never had the pleasure, try this. It was literally breathtaking. Dry and hot and suddenly, the Zephyr winds could be heard blowing across the Sahara! OMFG. I had better stick to AIPAs in the future.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company