Founders Double Trouble | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV

Added by CortexBomb on 12-06-2006

Reviews: 1,655 | Ratings: 6,408

Appearance: Pours a semi-clear, golden body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Strongly hoppy, citric-smelling scent that socks you in the nose so hard, you can't help but check for a nose bleed. Fragrant notes of tangerines, grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, and pine resin. As I was leaning back from the glass, I got slapped with a bouquet of fresh-picked flowers.

Taste: Sweet, though short-lived perfunctory maltiness upfront. Now that that's out of the way, it's time for some citric, acidic hints as we transition into the fruity, floral, tropical and pine-packed hop flavors. There's definitely a warming alcohol presence contained within, but I'm not picking up too much in the overall flavor, as my taste buds are probably far, far too busy contending with all of the hops. There's only one final touch of sweetness; a faint dieing gasp from the thin maltiness. Finishes dry and sharply bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A punchy, downright intense Double IPA that's in the same vein as Bell's HopSlam, though, and this is just me, I feel I'd prefer the Bell's just a tad over this one.

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

"Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble."

--William Shakespeare

Ripe apricot with banana peel borders. The beer displays a wonderful yeasty haze initially, then becomes frankly cloudy as the solids from the bottom of the bottle are added at the conclusion of the one and only pour. A softly pillowy crown of yellowed ivory (along with abundant lace) keeps the upper part of the glass looking mighty fine. Those who like the down 'n dirty look will love this one.

What a wonderful aroma! I usually wait until taste bud saturation before taking a stab at the hop bill, but it's smacking me upside the olfactory lobe with every glorious inhale. The combination of tropical fruits (tangerine, pink grapefruit and mango) just has to be due to Simcoe and/or Amarillo. Okay, now I'm expecting a doozy of a DIPA.

The big question is whether or not Double Trouble is a HopSlam killer... or whether it's even as delicious. The answers are 'no, almost nothing is' and 'no, but it's damn close'. I had the utmost faith in Founders, because those boys can brew with the best of them. Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, Red's Rye, Curmudgeon, Dirty Bastard, Centennial IPA... need I go on?

Those who want malt balance won't find it here. At least not when the beer is still shy of its two month anniversary. That said, the barley lays down a solid enough foundation for this hophead. There is a little sweetness, but it's quickly and almost completely obliterated by 86 IBU's worth of lupulin goodness. My tongue is getting a sound thrashing and I haven't even started the final six ounces yet.

The relatively pale, amberish orange hue tells me that pale malt is dominant. The taste buds agree. There's almost no caramel or toasted flavors to get in the way of the hop love. I'm sticking with the Simcoe and/or Amarillo guess. There's even a resinous, almost oily, funky, ganja-like vibe. Dee-freakin-licious!

The mouthfeel is the best of all worlds. It's unquestionably full and sap-sticky, but it's also as smooth as polished gemstones and has enough carbonation to avoid bogging down. My memory is a bit sketchy, but this might be the only area where DT has HS beat. Perhaps in appearance as well.

Founders will do themselves a massive favor if they make Double Trouble a regular release. HopSlam is slightly superior, but if it's only brewed once per year, that doesn't do those of us without easy access much good. The only negative with this brew is that it has replaced the beautifully bombastic Devil Dancer. Oh well, a scathingly hoppy DIPA is more than adequate compensation.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First had: on tap at Eulogy, Philly, PA

I've had this on tap a couple times. Tasty, strong, and a bit citrusy. Pours slightly hazy orange-gold with a nice white head that recedes a bit. Pine and grapefruity citrus in the nose. Pine and grass in the taste, with citrus and bitter hops following shortly after, and a mild malt backdrop. Mostly dry finish, with a twinge of alcohol. Medium mouthfeel, and an overall pleasantly drinkable IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz bottle poured into Founders imperial pint glass.

Picked this beer as a single for $3.49 up on a recent trip as Founders is not currently distributed to my state. Was really looking forward to this beer based on reviews that I had read and it did not disappoint.

Smell is rather hoppy, but that does not come through as much during that taste which I preferred. The beer pours a medium golden color with little to none head residue after drinking.

Overall this was a good DIPA that I would seek out again.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a deep, and very bright orange. Lots of haze almost obscured the light but left enough to give it a wonderful hue. Some visible carbonation inside. Big white frothy head, faded and left a large amount of lace on the top that stayed till the bottom. Glass was lined with lots of gooey lace that dripped down the glass, very nice looking. Smell was very strong, lots of fresh hops, pine resin the biggest factor here with hints of alcohol, which at nearly 10%abv is not a surprise. The flavor was un real, and very strong. Big alcohol and pine resin hit me first. Huge DIPA flavor and right up my alley. After it warmed some more subtle citrus tones started to come through. Some pineapple and grapefruit flavors fought with the unrelenting pine resin taste. Awesome strong bitter finish,Great full and crisp mouth feel, and very dry at the end. Have to be careful with the ABV which can sneak up on you.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottled on 01/06/12.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow to orange in color with very light amounts of visible of carbonation. The beer has a three quarter finger tall foamy off-white head that reduces to a couple of thick patches and a thick ring around the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: An intense aroma from the hops - citrus and floral hops really dominate the smell. There is a very light amount of malt sweetness in the aroma as well.

T: Upfront this beer has some malt sweetness but quickly the hop flavors begin to dominate. There is quite a bit of floral hops, as well as light hints of pine/resin and citrus/orange peel bitterness. There is a light amount of lingering bitterness with this beer.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth and slightly oily in the finish with light amounts of alcohol warming.

O: Not the easiest beer to drink and definitely too strong and too intense to be sessionable. The flavors are very nice though very hoppy and there is an alcohol presence.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

I picked this up at the Drafting room, shared w/ carlos and evets on separate occasions. Poured chilled into a willybecker.

A - A light amber/straw golden hued ale w/ 1/4 inch of white cap that leaves sticky lace. The light color is slightly out of the ordinary for Double IPA's and I like it. It has a crescent moon for head and the clarity is lightly hazed w/ minute bubbles

S - Sweet + crisp w/ grapefruit scent high in the aroma w/ moderate scent of alcohol. The nose warns of pine cone type hops w/ yeasty esters which are fruity

M - the feel is sweet upfront w/ moderate bitterness apropos to style w/ med high acidity and bitterness. The texture stays sweet and has a warming finish w/ residual smooth resinous note with the bitterness lasting

T - A light sweet crystal tinged malt mixed w/ grapefruit and pine upfront w/ acidity and mild malt in the taste w/ light alcohol taste increasing as it warms w/ gentle dry malt flavors. The citrus and herbal hops bring the bitter intensity to this flavor w/ a gentle pine cone accent and mild grassiness. A nice warmth of alcohol and mild sweet light malt w/ an intensely bitter strong finish

D - Not the most drinkable DIpa, but certainly delivers the hops in an extreme way no question. It goes big or goes home. A great IIPA just very tasty and fits the west coast style well.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Craig for sending this one my way.

A: A standard golden color with perhaps a hint of orange and a fluffy white head.

S: The grapefruit and lemon rind hops, along with a burst of pine and pineapple, make this one a real pleasure to sniff.

T: A moderate bitterness on the palate followed by some really juicy fruits. The grapefruit, lemon, and pineapple flavors are quite fresh and delicious.

M: Medium in body with a pleasantly tingly carbonation and a lasting bitterness.

D: I never would have known this was almost 9.5%. Really easy to drink and incredibly flavorful without any perceivable alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Cheers to jwc215, thanks Joe!

Pours a slightly hazed honey with a finger of rocky cream colored head. Great effervescence to the end, good lacing & & head retention

S: Piney & rindy hops, plus breadyness, plus some booze presence

T: Lemons, pineapples, honey malt; then a sledge hammer of grapefruit, dryness & pine up front. Grapefruit & leafy hops, biscuitty malt & pine needles are all there as this warms. Finishes slightly honey sweet, bready & then much herbal & piney hops & a touch of booze; nothing I can really find fault with here...

MF: Semi-chewy, then creamyness, great balance for the style, pretty warming

Drinks fairly easy, but you're well aware you are imbibing in a serious DIPA here. Well done Founders, I sure hope I see in my neck of the woods soon ( since Founders is planning on Mizzou distribution soon ) !!

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours yellow in color (almost straw). It's very cloudy. Good moderate head that lasts a very long time. Leaves ring lace after each sip.

Strong pineapple hop aroma. In the background is an earthiness that I wasn't expecting. I find it eerily similar to fresh body odor.

Very bitter with a decently rich body. The carbonation is also high. The malty beginning portion is relatively benign. The hop is the story--it completely dominates the swallow and the aftertaste, which goes on seemingly forever. Although the taste does not reflect the smell, it's hard to ignore on the initial taste.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for this bottle!

Time for another taste o' the Double Trouble. This time, it pours a hazy golden straw topped by a finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises grapefruit, melon, leeks, light caramel, and light honey. The taste holds notes of pine, yellow grapefruit, light leek, and very light caramel. The body straddles the border between heavy light and light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a rather dry finish. Overall, a fine DIPA, but it's very one-sided in favor of dry hops. Generally speaking this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does get pretty tiresome and boring after a while.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to THECPJ for the bottle.

A:Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with a one finger white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing down the glass.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit, orange peel. Has a really strong tropical aroma. The alcohol comes through slightly as it warms.

T: Very floral up, the pineapple and grapefruit dominate. There is also some orange peel and a nice grassy flavor. Has a slightly bitter, dry finish

M/D: Mediu, bodied with decent carbonation, a small amount of heat from the alcohol, intensifying as it warms. Overall, really nice. Would love to drink head to head with some other top DIPAs.

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Surly pint glass. poured light gold color with a thin white covering barely covering the top of the beer. It left moderate lacing on the glass as I drank it.

Aroma is not surprisingly hoppy with a good amount of citrus and grapefruit flavors. It has a little sweet malt coming through as well that helps give it that sweet hoppy flavor I love in certain IPA's.

The taste is citrusy with grapefruit and a little pine. It has a nice sweet flavor that I really like in my IPA's, but also has a moderate pine bitter finish to it that helps balance it out.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, I really enjoyed this beer and it's definitely my type of IPA. I might have to add this to the regular purchase rotation.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a transparent golden color with one inch of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus fruits and hops, pine, and orange.

t - Tastes of citrus and piney hops. Decent amount of bitterness.

m - Medium body and carbonation.

d - A pretty good IPA. I enjoyed the pine and citrus hops smell and taste, and it had some nice bitterness. Something I'm sure I'll have again.
___

Edit: 01/14/12. Haven't has this in over a year and a half but liking this a lot better. Bumping the overall up to a 4.5.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Slightly hazy, sunset yellow with a smallish head that leaves a small trace of lacing.

S: Fresh hops and citrus. In particular, tangerines.

T: Sweet citrus with tart grapefruit and tangerines. Very tasty. This beer is a notch below the some of the best DIPA, in my opinion (Pliny, Dreadnaught, Hopslam). That being said, it is very drinkable, the 9.4% ABV is hidden well, and overall, it's a solid example of an American DIPA.

M: Adequate carbonation, slightly sweet hoppy aftertaste.

D: Sure I'd have another. Highly recommended.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I know that I keep saying that I am trying to divest myself of bottles, but when I was over at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop on Wednesday following a doctor's appointment for swollen ankles, I needed one to fill out a mixed six and amazingly, I have not reviewed this previously.

My aggro pour not only caused a pseudo-cascade which settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention, but it released a lot of esters. So much so that my eyes watered briefly and I even sneezed! In the interim, the head began to fall, leaving sticky acing in its wake. I would need a jackhammer later to remove all of it. Color was reminiscent of the old television show, Solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-quality clarity! This, of course, brought forth the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas, all clamoring for some of my gelt. I went for a deeper sniff instead and found the nose to be a combination of pine tar and caramel, but in a very nice way. Mouthfeel was dense and heavy, like a dollop on the tongue. It came with a boxer's one-two punch with the fusel alcohol heat softening up my poor, bruised tongue and then the intense pine hops hitting right behind. Holy ...! I was rendered at a loss for words for a moment and it caused me to wonder what kind of havoc its brother, Devil Dancer, might be like. Phew. 86 IBUs and 9.4% ABV, just the way I like to start every day. I know that fresher is better, especially when it comes to hops and this read "Bottled 06/17/2014" and I began to wonder what it might be like aged. Phew. Did I say that already? My eyes were watering, my nose was running and I was beginning to doubt my self-proclaimed hophead status. Finish hit like a belt to the solar plexus and if you have never had the pleasure, try this. It was literally breathtaking. Dry and hot and suddenly, the Zephyr winds could be heard blowing across the Sahara! OMFG. I had better stick to AIPAs in the future.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

I poured this one into my Piraat chalice nice bronze copper hue large bright white head forms nice even intricate lacing around the sides of my chalice. Great stuff slightly hazed body with tiny yeast and hop particles suspended.

Smells like straight up sugar coated grapefruit, with some green onion notes really fresh and lively hop character. No booziness makes it's way in, just a nice little hop bomb released about the same time as Nugget Nectar and HopSlam. I bought all three last night, each of these brews are unique in their own way.

Upfront raw bitterness definitely has grapefruit pith and a touch of skunk weed. Hop burps after the first couple sips actually singe my nose hairs. A very nice hoppy effort which is way more drinkable than Devil Dancer.

Hop oils reign supreme on the palate, along with super abrasive raw hop bitterness in the finish. Hey it's a double IPA what did you expect, medium to fuller bodied solid sturdy carbonation that carries the body well.

One at a time this one could send you into sensory overload, great stuff but it's perfect to purchase by the four pack. One suggestion for Founders would be to take a step in their own direction with hops, the make a Centennial IPA and Bell's Two Hearted is straight Centennials. This brew is being released alongside HopSlam, it's two much of a MacDonald's vs BK, or Coke vs Pepsi copy cat competition on a mini scale.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Thanks to chpueblo22 for this bottle!

Appearance - Hazy light orange body. Not exactly an ample head, but it's there for a moment. The ring of lace around the beer grips to the glass like a great IPA should.

Smell - Citrusy goodness. Grapefruit and orange, just the way I like it. The sweetness in the back is just noticeable, but not overpowering. The overall aroma is just a hint muted, though.

Taste - Great citrus hop flavor up front and a slight hint of sweetness that lasts throughout the drink. The malt takes a backseat, but it's enough to keep it from being too extreme. The bitterness is subdued by the malt as well, but it builds as I drink the glass.

Mouthfeel - Perfect body. Drinkable to the point of gulpable. The only prevention is that lingering and slowly-building bitterness.

Overall - One of my favorite IPAs, even if slightly imperfect. Too bad I only get it every once in a while. Just shy of being one of the great IPAs, like Pliny and Heady.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Hop allergies be damned!

Pours nicely. Foggy yellow orange with a thick creme head that leaves a very thick lacing on the way down. Nose is tangy citrus with heavy pine tones. Flavor is extremely smooth. Extremely. There is still a bite of pine and hop tones with fairly strong bitter aftertastes and a slight salty thing in the back of my mouth. But like I said, it is really easy to swig this one down. Feel is smooth on liquid, carbonation is lower. I can dig this. A bit acidic and biting, but in the right ways.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a two finger bubbly white head that quickly dissipates to a ring on top. Smells of pine resin, apricots, grapefruit, this one is all hops. Looking for malt and I can't find it. Hop juice. Taste is bitter resinous with apricots, grapefruit, hints of tropical fruit and a faint pale malt somewhere underneath all of this. Long lingering mild hop bitterness after every sip. Hop sap sticky resinous mouthfeel, medium level of bubbles and body. Great Dipa here. Could use a little bit of sweetness to counteract the blasts of hop on my palette, but great nonetheless.

On tap at Wine 101 in Wake Forest.

Poured a hazy yellow with a big, white, foamy, head that has good retention. The nose is mildly bready and heavily citrusy. The flavor is similar to the nose; lightly bready but with heavy notes of grapefruit and lemon. There is a bitey, piney bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a little crisp.

This is a very enjoyable, drinkable IPA. I have had it on several other occasions and will probably have it again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours hazed golden with a thin creamy white head that is well-retained. Lacing sticks.

The smell is piney, herbal, citric/tropical with some caramel.

The taste is of pine and citrus - grapefruit and tropical fruits. It has a rounding caramel sweetness in the finish, along with some rum-like fruity alcohol. It shows the 86 IBU's, but so well-rounded that the bitterness doesn't linger. It has a nice, dry finish.

It is full-bodied without being too thick. Carbonation level is just right to keep it smooth.

Very drinkable, especially for the abv/intensity. This is appropriately named, as I would be in "double trouble" if I drank this as a "session" brew. This is the kind of DIPA I like!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso into a 12oz tumbler. Having had this out of the bottle this should be a fun comparison.

Lemon to gold yellow body which is cloudy, sporting an absolutely nowhere to go antique white creamy head. This beer also leaves fantastic lacing in the glass.

Bouquet is a great burst of grapefruit at first and perfect sugars. It feels like sprinkled sugar on grapefruit litteraly. Wonderful aromatic hops, and a somewhat dense body, but with a fantastic soft pillow sensation in the mouth. There's a sense of carmalized sugars with this that gives way to a "sense" of cardamom spice too. Really great tasting.

Drinkability is flat out fantastic, a real great beer just got better this way.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Brilliant, bright amber/golden appearance, nearly orange, with a lovely, lace-leaving, long-lasting cap of snowy foam above.

Lime and orange peel aromatics, some lemon, pine, very fresh and lively. very vibrant, buzzing with hoppitude.

Taste: more of the same and then some. Simply delicious. Medium bodied, non-stop hop bitterness delivered on the palate, awash with citrus fruits, and pine needle. Brisk and bitter, zesty and refreshing, as well.

The high alcohol content is well hidden, doesn't reveal itself at all in the taste, until you get near the end. Then it quietly reveals itself, but never becomes a deterrent to drinking. For the first glass, at least.

One of the most balanced, elegant, and profoundly enjoyable Double IPAs I've ever had, and more proof of Founders' incredible winning streak.

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled at a free Founders tasting. Special thanks to Big Z’s in Huntington.

A – Pale gold with a white head.

S – Great hop character with a bright orange and lemon citrus, and clean pine note.

T – Hops, with pine, tarragon, and green cedar dominating the profile. Almost no malt to speak of. Faint honey sweetness.

M – Medium body with a lingering campari bitterness. Finishes lightly dry.

O – A classic hop-bomb, but still drinkable and not overly bitter.

Founders Double Trouble from Founders Brewing Company