Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

Reviews: 1,747 | Ratings: 7,751
4.89/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This is truly a masterpiece!
Clear dark amber-red with a beige, fluffy head.

Nose: Honey, vanilla, single malt whisky, oak, dried fruit, toffee, caramel malt, bourbon and licorice. Oh! It's so complex! I love it!

Taste: Butter, fudge, bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel, alcohol, nuts and brown sugar.

A full body with a great complex texture. Little carbonation.

As a lover of great single malt whisky and a good bourbon I naturally fall as a rock for this. It's heaven on earth...

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I think this may be my favorite beer now. Dark brown in color but somewhat clear. Sweet nutty aroma with bourbon. The tast is carmel and bourbon with a lite sweet taste. No bitterness. This is one of the quintessential beers. I could drink this everyday.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Deep red, almost opaque, with a thin light caramel colored head. Head retains through the beer as a small coating and nice lacing leaving traces down the side as I drink.

S: A beautiful intriguing mix of vanilla mixed with a fruity aroma, perhaps pear? Hints of caramel and toffee, very sweet smelling with a slight alcohol hint. I'm very much enjoying the scent of this.

T: As a bourbon drinker the first sip was incredibly familiar. A spicy/vanilla bourbon forefront with a thick creamy toffee finish with fruits thrown in the mix. This beer tastes a lot like a world class bourbon, leaving a similar burning down the throat, in a good way.

As I drink more I notice it's a bit sugary, but in a good way that balances out some of the burn.

M: Thick and creamy while rolling easy down with medium carbonation to ease it's thickness up.

O: This beer is absolutely blowing my mind now. It's very complex with a fruity vanilla bourbon character. As a bourbon drinker this is very familiar to me and this is the best scotch ale I've ever had making me warm and tingly with each sip.

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

I really believe this is a beer that should get more attention. Sure it came out at the same time as Breakfast Stout and was overlooked, but this is one amazing beer. I bought everything I could find last fall and still have quite a few of these left.

A: Heavy pour creates a big bubbled foam over a cloudy dark reddish brown body.
S: Bourbon, Vanilla, Toffee, Malts. Mmm...
T: Amazing. I'm glad the bourbon flavors have not feel short since this one is starting to feel alitle bit of age. Sweet from the bourbon, oak and vanilla touches. Finish with some balancing malts.
M: Feels good, what can I say? Medium carbonation.
D: More please?

Damn fine, interesting, bourbon bomb of a beer. I can't wait till this fall to get more.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

This is the best Bourbon Aged I have ever had. It was aged about 18 months to perfection. I'm in Texas and understand the Founders has been picked up here by a distributor. Can't wait to get my hands on more of this amazing beer. If anyone can recommend anything like this or better I want it.

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Founders snifter. Bottled 10/03/13

A - Deep deep amber, almost brown. Started with one finger of tannish head that quickly dissipated

S - Initial hit of sweet heavy malt. Very faint dark fruit. Then the bourbon smell kicks in with nice vanilla aroma. Also getting a lot of caramel/toffee. There seems to be a lot going on as far as aroma goes

T - The taste is just perfection in my opinion. One of the most well-balanced beers I have tasted. Starts with more of the caramel and dark fruit flavors. Followed by a nice vanilla taste from the bourbon. Also getting brown sugar. Love the finish....very nice bit from the bourbon with a distinct oak flavor

M - Medium body. A bit more carbonation than I originally expected but I feel it balances out the beer completely. Creamy and soft but the carbonation works well with it

O - Truly one of my favorites, perfectly balanced. Perfectly boozy in my opinion. One of Founders best right here

4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

My favorite bourbon barrel beer. The backbone of a scotch ale, but the beautiful, powerful bourbon comes through perfectly. While many reviews of bourbon aged beers include vanilla notes, this beer is bursting with vanilla. Pours the same beautiful red as dirty bastard. An epic experience in every bottle.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: hazy mahogany. A thin off white head. Thick lacing for a 10+%.
Smell: sweet caramel. Smoky Bourbon. The nice out of the fridge and gets better and better as it warms.
Taste: As great as the nose. Full and malty with an a nice Scotch like edge to balance. Strangely mellow.
Overall: awesome. Founder's big beers are simply works of art. A creative, great brewery on top of their game.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

What can be said that I have not said before....Dirty Bastard is great, Backwoods is mind boggling! This is as good or better than KBS or the elusive CBS. My absolute favorite beer ever!

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

The 2012 edition poured into a snifter... this pours a dark, murky brown with ruby red highlights. Has a very light head that doesn't last very long, expected on a 10.2% ABV.... alcohol legs are definitely present on the glass as well. Looks beautiful!

Smell... wow... vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, brown sugar, rich malts, and of course oak and bourbon. Such a rich earthy smell accompanied by dark fruits.. so pleasant on the nose.

The taste is phenomenal... wonderful oak bourbon flavor... vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, brown sugar, sweet smokey malts... a bit of light coffee on the back. Wow!!

I have to say this is another amazing beer by Founders.... such a well balanced and well crafted beer that you can tell is made with care. I only wish this was year round... but it is worth the savoring when this comes out in the fall.

Try this.... you will love it.

Cheers all!!

Bottled 9/23/12

A: Deep, dark amber-brown with yeast suspended throughout. Bubbly, skimpy off-white head that builds very quickly and fades just as quickly. A small ring of foam hangs around along with beautiful wisps of foam on top of the viscous liquid. A quick whirl in the glass brings about a thin layer of foam that fades fast.

S: Buttery, deliciously woody bourbon. Wood, earth, must, vanilla, booze. You get the malty sweetness from the base Scotch Ale. You could get buzzed just from smelling this thing.

T: Holy. Sh*t. F*ck. Bourbon. Buttery, woody, sugary, sweet, malty. Salted caramel. Never overly sweet or bourbon-y, this has so much complexity and amazing layers of flavor. So balanced yet so wood, barrel, and bourbon forward. The Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy is a perfect candidate for barrel treatment. It never loses its true character but allows the bourbon to take center stage. Exquisite.

M: Ahhh...one of the smoothest beers I've had. Thick, viscous, sweet, exploding with flavor. Top notch. The body is luscious. That's the only word I can think of.

O: A very special treat. An obvious upgrade to an already awesome beer. Founders is known to be talented with barrels at their disposal and this only enhances that reputation. Extremely well-crafted with the bourbon character incorporated/infused perfectly. An absolute pleasure to drink. Unbelievable. Damn!

12 oz bottle, 2013 edition, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, deep, dark, mahogany color with an eighth of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Nice aromas of toasted malt, brown sugar, toffee, dried stone fruit such as raisins and prunes, as well as a touch of oak, a touch of vanilla and a lot of boozy alcohol.

Taste: Wow! Absolutely, fantastically, delicious! Strong flavors of bready, toasted malt up front, followed by lots of brown sugar-like sweetness, toffee, dried stone fruit, such as raisins and prunes, a touch of vanilla, a touch of oak, a touch of bourbon and a touch of booze.

Mouthfeel: Slightly chewy and smooth as hell, as there is no alcohol what-so-ever. With an ABV of 10.5%, I’m surprised at how little alcohol there is on the palate. The alcohol is really, really, dangerously masked.

Overall: This is a fantastic, outstanding beer! Awesome flavors wrapped up in an equally awesome mouthfeel. Be careful though, as with its awesome flavors and amazing masked alcohol, you might want to drink more than one at a time which could know you on your ass, real quick!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Once again, a time to taste some Scotch Ale, Wee Heavy! And this was so much of a treat. The pour is liken to a Rusty Nail (Drambuie and Chivas Regal).
A amber but royal color that stands out in the glass. It shines it pours out high standards. The aroma is amazing. A bit of malt, a big hint of whiskey a small very small amount of hops, even though this is a 50 IBU beer.
The taste! Outstanding. It hits your lips and mouth at the same time with a big robust flavor and feel. Its smooth yet has a bit of an alcoholic burn. To me, this is what I imagine folks from Scotland drinking centuries ago. Big robust, full and a good amount of alcohol to keep you warm and satisfied.
CanI put this in the "5" category? Now, only because I need to separate the beers. I wish that Beer Advocate would give us the ability to rate beers based on their types (ie Stouts, IPAs etc)

A year or so has gone since the last time I tasted this. Better than I remembered. The bourbon bouquet was oh so very present, but it was oh so very soft and mild in the taste. A perfect blend
I picked up a 4pk, had 1 with a co-worker tonite and will age the rest (if I a patient enough)....
BA people may kill me for saying this, but I like this one better than KBS

Wait a second, I thought I was taking beer with this one.. Guess I was wrong. The pour was a nice dark black pure and clean. NOt much of a head. I really couldn't pick up many different aromas.
BUT then I took the fist sip I was really taken back.. Big full and it was Bourbon.

The finish to this ale was exceptional. From start to end, this was a very interesting ale.
Cant say it would always be on the top of my list, but it is very good

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into a Founders tulip.
10.2% ABV, 50 IBUs, and Bottled on 10/24/13.

A - It's difficult to see any clarity through this dark beer but it's ruby-hued mahogany color looks beautiful when held up to light. Little head forms over the surface of the beer but the tan skim and ring of foam stick around and dot the glass in specks of lace.

S - Building in intensity as it warms, Backwoods Bastard transitions from bold vanilla and warm bourbon oak nuances to a depth of malt complexity characterized by molasses, dark chocolate covered raisins, and a colossal bready, caramel and toffee sweetness.

T - The aroma suggests Backwoods Bastard to be barrel-forward but it's flavor profile relies heavily on the rich maltiness within, which mimics the aroma quite wonderfully. Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies and gooey caramel covered raisins make for a desert-like flavor that's paired with toffee slivers and finished with oaky bourbon balls; divine.

M - Smooth, delectable, and warming, Backwoods Bastard is anything but rough around the edges as it crosses the palate with simplistic ease, only to finish with a touch of carbonation and alcohol warmth.

O - Backwoods Bastard may have a rough, grizzly exterior, but it's a gooey, soft-on-the-inside sipping dessert beer that's seeping with malty sweetness reminiscent of Milano cookies and home-made bourbon balls. It's moderate barrel-aging makes it great fresh but also allows it to age gracefully for a beer that develops for years to come.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Quick review. The definition of flavor with the bourbon component is beyond compare. This beer is without a doubt the finest bourbon beer that I've tasted to date.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter.
The beer pours a deep mahogany with garnet highlights. Some small white particles are suspended in the brew. A tightly packed creamy tan head foams up 1 cm with an aggressive pour. The head fades to a frothy edge layer that remains through the sampling. Aroma is instantly deep brown sugar and caramel malt with heavy bourbon and vanilla notes wafting out of the glass. A little boozy scented but not fusol heat like a liquor.
The first sip reveals a slightly thick body but not syrupy or chewy texture, very smooth and EASY to drink. Next to nothing for carbonation that does fizz up when sloshed around in my mouth for a few seconds.
Flavor is all sweet malt, with brown sugar and maybe a little molasses mixing with some toffee. Hits of vanilla and a little bit of wooden dryness mixes in to the flavor. No hops anywhere to be found. I like this beer!!
The booze is very well hidden and I think this beer is dangerously easy to drink. I wish I could get access to this beer more frequently as it may have moved up into my top 5 brews.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours reddish brown with a 2 finger head and light lacing. Smells of molasses and caramel. Tastes of molasses and caramel and brown sugar. Slight bourbon taste. It starts and finishes smooth. Mouthfeel is creamy and more than substantial. One of my favorite beers.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer was so good it inspired me to attempt a proper review, here we go.

I enjoyed this one in a snifter as recommended.

Look: Dark red to brown color as poured from the bottle When held up to the light it is actually a dark ruby red. Virtually no head to speak of.

Smell: Ok, so definately vanilla, caramel, woody, maybe even a slight coconut or chocolate in there. Some warm alcohol here not overpowering though. Reminds me of KBS, just not as pronounced.

Taste: Caramel,vanilla, bourbon, woody (oak), then at the end the alcohol comes on, not overpowering though.

Mouthfeel: very slight viscous feel, nothing like the the imperial stout from Founders. This one barely coats the palate.

Overall impression: Lighter weight cousin to KBS. Excellent Beer. I'm gonna stop reviewing and enjoy the rest of it.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Beer pours a deep mahogany color, tiny head quickly recedes, hazy, vary little carbonation. Looks delicious, excited to dive in. Smells very very boozy, bourbon, oak flavor. Some malty notes as well as vanilla and resiny - smells like it's going to be a strong one! WHOA! The taste blows me away! DELICIOUS! Super sweet. Malty, vanillay, maybe some raisin notes. Very smooth delicious, full bodied and no burn. Such an incredible mouth feel. INSANE drinkability. Will be seeking out this beer again!

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

A- liquid dark brown fudge with a very slight maple colored head peaking for moment before leaving sticky lace down the glass.

S- whoa, big, big nose. Fantastic bourbon, creamy vanilla, and slight dark cherries. Spicy alcohol and a bit of fruity esters lurk along with a smooth caramel sweetness.

T- this brew is unreal. Start to finish it is unreal. Smooth and seductive; complex, nuanced and epic. There's so much going on here but the impression you're left with is silky bourbon, caramel and vanilla backed by peppery alcohol and a rugged malt backbone. Dark fruits, a touch of smoke, and herbal hops interplay.

O- wow, perfection in a bottle. KBS may get the glory, but this beer is the self assured older brother.

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Well, here it goes. This is probably one of my top two beers that I've had so far. I keep going from KBS to this and back and forth in a good way.

Poured the luscious liquid from a 12 ounce bottle in to a pint glass.

A - The brown liquid pours nicely with minimal head. The viscosity lets you know that this is a quality Scotch Ale.

S - Bourbon, more bourbon, toffee, roasted malts, and little dark fruit maybe raisin.

T - Ridiculous, this is the shit. The stars have aligned and the gods can now destroy the earth, because I have tasted the nectar of the gods. I'm tasting toffee, bourbon, carmel, roasted malts, butterscotch each fighting for your taste buds but all equally winning their pursuit to blend so evenly. This beer is so well blended for a barrel aged beer that it is hard to comprehend. Wow, just WOW!

M - Smooth medium ale leaning towards a heavy, with just enough carbonation for this style.

O - Unbelievably , just a wonderful beer to sip and enjoy on a cool winter night.
Highly Recommended ! CHEERS!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, this is one fantastic beer. Was good in the years past but to me this years is the best yet. Higher ABV then in years past but you can't taste it. No over the top booze hit here at all. Just a nice warmness. Amazing flavor and depth. Really glad I grabbed 2 - 4 packs when I could as it didn't last long before being sold out and I can surely see why. Another home run from Founders. I rank it right up there with their Stouts which coming from me is a helluva statement. Damn good. Think I'm going to have one tonight. Cheers

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Rereview: poured from a 12oz bottle dated 9/26/15 into a Dogfish Head Snifter L: deep caramel brownish red with infinite suspended particles, three fingers of head on aggressive pour that slowly disappeared, but left decent lacing S: vanilla, whiskey, raisins, caramel T: whiskey soaked marshmallow, an unbelievable balance between sour and sweet F: medium, creamy, soft O: one of my favorite beers. ABV, flavor, aroma, feel, this one has it all..

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Don't feel the need to explain flavor, look, ect... other reviews sum it up. What i would like to say is that the 2015 version is the best version of this beer Founders has made in my opinion. Increased malt bill has added more body and flavor with the bonus of a little more alcohol... Awesome Job Founders!

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Founders Backwards Bastard, aged 6 months in my fridge (yes, I am drinking it fresh), 10.2% ABV, a 12 oz. bottle and poured into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured deep ruby brown with a very little head and lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel and smoky malt with a hint of vanilla, no pronounced hop presence, no obvious off flavors.

Taste: Candied dates and baking chocolate. There is also a spicy and earthy aftertaste that I attribute to the oak bourbon barrels used in the aging process and the 50 IBUs of hop flavor.

Mouth feel: Medium to full body and low carbonation. The bitter sweetness clings to the upper palette. There is definitely an umami effect as I keep running my tongue along my upper palette. Also a nice warming alcohol finish.

Overall: Founders has been making great beer for over 20 years. Backwards Bastard is an amazingly subtle yet complex beer. You will find the flavor change with each sip as the beer warms and the taste lingers. You can drink this with almost any rich food and meal course; from roasted garlic Portobello mushrooms, to a medium-rare rib eye, or a flourless chocolate raspberry cake. But why wait for the food. As my favorite late night talk show host would exclaim, “This is a beverage”.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company