Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

#334

Ratings: 8,296 |  Reviews: 1,878

Not a huge fan of this style

Beer was not very good

1.25/5  rDev -71.3%

1.3/5  rDev -70.1%

Appearance: The best part of this beer. The color is a lovely brown with hints of copper around the edges.

Smell: Like sticking your head in a bourbon barrel. I couldn't detect any malt at all.

Taste: Like being drowned in a bourbon barrel. It overpowers everything. I could not taste any malt, peat or caramel.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thin and watery, adding to the feeling of drinking a big glass of watered down bourbon.

Overall: The bourbon is overpowering. I suspect that if you have bottles and age it for a year or two it'll taste great but it is not good fresh. I love Founder's beers and was excited to finally get to try something other than the breakfast stout. I am, however, very much disappointed. Beer should taste like beer. If I wanted a glass of bourbon, I would have purchased a glass of bourbon.

1.72/5  rDev -60.5%

I tried this beer and thought I was going to hurl after I finished 3/4 of it. Being the man that I am, I gave it another try and got to 1/2. Yeah, I got half this down then I puked up the two bags of BBQ corn nuts I had just eaten.

So after that happened and me being the man I am I went back to the other 1/2 and finished it.

Was it the BBQ corn nuts? I don't know, but I'm calling it like I see it. This had a water whiskey flavor and a fierce alcohol burn. Who drinks this? It doesn't make you a man. This is for bastards...literally.

Yeah, my review was harsh but so was this beer.

1.75/5  rDev -59.8%

1.8/5  rDev -58.6%

Picked up a bottle of this from Abe's in Bethlehem. I liked the dirty bastard a lot so I figured I would like this. Cost me about $3. 12 oz short brown bottle, twist off lid, poured into a snifter.

Mahogany color with off-white head. Looks pretty nice. The bubbles look somewhat similar to a guinness head forming, at least in the commercials. Good retention (considering the ABV) and lots of lacing. Looks very nice.

The smell reminded me how much I hate whiskey. This is aged in bourbon barrels, but I don't know the difference between bourbon and whiskey and it just smelled like whiskey to me. No malts. No hops. Just whiskey.

The taste is even worse. This beer is so one-sided, at least for me. I can't get over the bourbon taste. It overpowers everything. Where are the kettle-carmelized malts? What happened to the beer parts of this beer? As it sat the bourbon seemed to mellow out a bit but wasn't replaced by anything. Maybe I was just tasting the beer less with time.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style, but the mistake seems hardly noticeable.

Drinkability is low. This one is almost up there with triple bock, though this at least tastes like something someone (not me) would want to drink. One of the few beers I actually poured out. I was very disappointed in this one, but I probably shouldn't have been so surprised. If you like bourbon, you will probably like this but I still think the dirty bastard is a far superior brew. At least I got a cool bottle out of it (the newer style label).

1.97/5  rDev -54.7%

Just opened a fresh 2010 bottle.

Tasted like Bourbon + water; like a mixed drink instead of a beer. This is the first beer from Founders that I didn't really enjoy.

I've heard it gets much better with age, so the rest of the four pack is going into the beer fridge, but I am sorely disappointed as I tried hard to find this four-pack.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company