Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

Ratings: 8,108 |  Reviews: 1,840
4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very unfiltered looking dirty mahogany brown color just like appropriately named Dirty Bastard. Produced a thin head as with many barrel aged scotch ales

The smell sets the bar pretty high for the taste on this one. Tons of bourbon. You get the oak, vanilla, caramel, molasses, maltiness, and dark fruit.

It is a bourbon bomb. Tons of sweet, oak soaked dark fruits, caramel and vanilla. Plenty of deep, rich malts and slight cocoa. No peat in this one like some traditional Wee Heavy beers. Significant burn in the aftertaste. Alcohol is not hidden at all, and I am a bourbon guy.

Feel is a little thinner than regular Bastard, but still above medium bodied I think.

Overall, if you do not like bourbon, you might not enjoy this beer. It really isnt balanced all that well. It does improve quite a bit as it warms though as I type. It is really hot initially though, like Curmudgeon is fresh. My score is probably a little favorable because I love bourbon and think this is an excellent beer, but if you want a better balanced barrel aged Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy, try Wulver.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Pours garnet color with a quickly fading white head that leaves little to no lacing.

Smells of bourbon and rich malts.

Tastes of a more subdued barrel character but plenty of malts. Malts lead off with notes of caramel and toffee. Plenty of sweetness. Barrel notes add in with vanilla and fragrant wood. Touches of dark fruits come through as well. Finishes with some lingering oak.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slight amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a good barrel aged beer.

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a thin white head, and dark garnet color when held to light. Bourbon flavor is well balanced and has a velvety mouth feel. Hints of toffee and milk chocolate come through with the oak and has a pronounced bourbon finish. If you like bourbon this is an excellent beer. Need to find more!

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.16/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a dense looking dark brown. Thin creamy looking white brown lace that clings to the side
Highly aromatic. Malty sweet with licorice overtones and gum overtones. Although it is aged in bourbon barrels, I'm picking up more of a dark rum aroma.
Taste is malty sweet, coffee like, with very low bitter hops presence. Aftertaste is woody. I have to say that by itself I was not really diggin this taste. However, 1/4 of the way thought the drink, I paired it with chocolate and found that the two complemented each other beautifully. The chocolate sweetness made the beer's finish appear more bitter, which eliminated some of the medicine like aftertastes I was detecting when drinking alone.
Feel is full bodied, slightly creamy, but with low carbonation. I would certainly not drink this on a hot summer day; however, I can see how this would go down quite nicely after coming home to a warm home or bar after braving the elements of a cold windy, rainy and/or snow winter/late fall day/night.
Overall, I still find myself getting acclimated to the scotch ale styles since they are so unlike what I have conventionally accepted as beer. I have been a long time fan of good scotch. Later in life, as I have acquired a greater knowledge of craft beer and extreme beer styles, I have gained a greater appreciation for non traditional brews. As I'm nearing the end of this drink, I can tell that the potency of this brew is almost comparable to the feeling you get from drinking scotch. However, the malty sweetness in the aroma and the licorice feel (a taste I have never enjoyed) is slightly disconcerting. As I said, I love me some good scotch but more for the bitter and spicy elements it brings. This scotch ale does not provide that for me. However, I will acknowledge that as someone who is still learning about the diverse and dynamic nature of beer, this one could become an acquired taste in the future.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company