Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

#334

Ratings: 8,232 |  Reviews: 1,864
4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Served on tap in a snifter in FL

Scotch ales are usually hit or miss for me, but this hit it out of the park.

I was nervous at first because Bastard is so overpowering bourbony on the nose, but once I had my first taste I was hooked.

A lot of nice bourbon flavor without the kind of burn I would expect out of a 10+% brew. A little vanilla on the back end, and even some creaminess, if you haven't tried this beer before and you can find it in your area, do yourself a favor and give it a go.

4.56/5  rDev +4.8%

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - nice deep copper color w/ burgundy hues. An initial 2.5 finger head that recedes to 1 finger of foam after a few minutes.

S - caramel, brown sugar and bourbon, bourbon, bourbon!

T - sweet malts, like the smell ... more caramel and brown sugary goodness backed with some oak flavors and a definite bourbon presence.

F - For the 10.2% this one is an easy drinker, albeit a sipper. The carbonation is nearly perfect for this type of brew. Silky smooth & almost creamy.

O - This brew from Founders is another outstanding beer like most of their others. I'm happy to have landed a few bottles of this. I can only image this brew will improve with a little age on it but it is also an exceptional drinking beer within a couple of months off the bottling line.

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.24/5  rDev -2.5%

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

4.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the best founders I've had so far. Highly recommend.

3.13/5  rDev -28%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.00] Deep red to brown beer. The pour produced a 2 finger tan head. The head is tight and dense with uniform bubbles. The bottle lists the brewed date (10/01/2014), the ABV (10.2%) and the IBU (50). Other brewers please take a note from Founders.

S: [3.50] Caramel and bourbon are the scents that I am picking up.

T: [2.75] There is alcohol upfront then smooth bourbon in the middle. The finish is mildly sweet with some breadiness.

M: [3.00] Smooth on the tongue but a fairly heavy alcohol bite.

O: [3.25] This is very alcohol forward in my opinion. The booze and bourbon mute a lot of other flavors. I let it warm before drinking. Perhaps a colder beer would have suppressed the alcohol. I had really high hopes for this - but I think it is just not my thing.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company