Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

#332

Ratings: 8,288 |  Reviews: 1,877

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

3.96/5  rDev -9%

2013 bottle from the LCBO

Pours a nice ruby brown with a thin head forming around the rim.

Unbelievable smell. Caramel and Oak with a touch of bourbon. Definitely one of the nicest aromas I've come across.

Warming, sipping beer almost like a scotch. Very smooth with low carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

4.51/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it at Founder's Brewery! The perfect place to taste a near perfect brew!!
Look - Had a small whitish head not long lasting at all.
Smell - Oh my...great mouth watering sweet caramel & bourbon aroma.
Tast - Heaven in your mouth...a lot like Sweet Repute but with more of a Oak "Backwoods" aftertaste, caramelly with a lasting bourbon finish!
Mouth feel - Awesome long lasting sweet, smooth Bourbon taste that coats your pallet.
Overall - Outstanding beer that you'll be sad when it's gone! Founder's did it again!

4.94/5  rDev +13.6%

I finally got my hands on this brew that I've been dying to try at a local bar/restaurant and I was my disappointed.

Smell- oak, coco, Carmel, bourbon

Taste- wow..I was blown away, like the nose oak, Carmel, coco, some vanilla, smokiness, scotch. One of the best tasting brews I've had, hands down.

Mouthfeel- full bodied and smooth with some creaminess. So good.

Overall- this was exceeded my expectations..so complex and tasty..I didn't want to stop drinking it. Definitely one of my favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Refrigerated but served after sitting on counter for 40 minutes. Poured into Spiegelau tulip from 355 ml bottle. Best before date on bottle 09/17/2014.

Middle of the road pour, not too gentle or aggressive. Very minimal head. Collar maintained throughout the drink. Very deep ruby red in colour. Very murky.

Smells like oak and bourbon. With a very deep inhale, I feel a burn in the back of my throat. Very oakey.

Tastes very oakey from the barrel aging. Oak is very prominent I the flavour profile. Bourbon flavours very present. Boozy. Slight caramel flavoured sweetness.

Carbonation is a bit biting which enhances the alcohol burn. Slightly astringent.

Overall, while Scotch ales are not my favourite style, this is easily the best of the style I've had to date. Glad I picked up 4, hope I can get my hands on more eventually.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%