Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

#336
Liked:
4.35/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 8,139 |  Reviews: 1,847

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 10/03/2013 printed on the bottleneck. The highly acclaimed bigger brother to Founders Dirty Bastard; I was lucky enough to snag a four pack of this goodness from the local beer store.

Poured into an over-sized wine glass.

A - Pours a viscous caramel mahogany / ruby colored body with some specks of sediment visible in the glass. No head forms; just a slight ring.

S - The nose brings some very nice bourbon barrel / vanilla character. Burnt brown sugar, beautiful creamy booziness, woody earthiness, rum soaked raisins, figs, dates, cherry. Very nice.

T - Taste follows the nose: smooth creamy vanilla, earthy wood, oak bourbon barrel, caramel, rum soaked raisins, figs, dates, cherries.

M - Feel is nice, on par with the original, with the addition of more brown sugary caramel stickiness, and some more earthy wood / bourbon character. Smooth & creamy, with lingering caramel / vanilla / bourbon barrel stickiness.

Overall, a nice upgrade from the original base beer, which was clearly an obvious candidate for barrel aging. High 10.20% abv is extremely well-masked, but is likely destined to doom me. A very nice slow-sipper of a beer, one that compliments the original well. Recommended.

Founders Backwoods Bastard ---4/5.

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark reddish-brown. I get a lot of cotton candy and some vanilla in the aroma. Taste is pretty much vanilla and brown sugar with the base wee heavy beer coming through on the finish. It's no Wulver but for the money it's a good barrel aged beer.

3.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After being put on a reserve list last December- I was able to buy two bottles of this much sought after beer.

Poured a dark tea color with a 1F head in my new scotch ale glass.

Aroma- bourbon central. Some vanilla. As the beer warmed up, lots of oak in the aroma.

Mouth feel- moderately carbonated- working well in this style.

The taste- fantastic. Strong bourbon, the beer taking on a strong whiskey character.
As the beer warmed up, oak meshed with the bourbon to bring more character to an outstanding taste.

If you can find this beer, buy it. One of the best scotch ales I have tasted.

4.08/5  rDev -6.2%

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

8/9/13 (update is below)
On tap at Merchant, Madison, for a Founders Great Taste of the Midwest Preparty.. Perhaps this score has taken a bit of a hit b/c I'm so disappointed in being turned away at the door -- I forgot Merchant takes reservations, and even at 5:30 with 3/4 of the restaurant empty, we can't get a table. HOWEVER, my wife and mother in law have cut me loose so I can at least get one beer at the bar.

Also sadly, they're already out of KBS (no surprise) and Doom. At least I've got a beautiful tulip glass full of Backwoods Bastard and a taste of Rubaeus.

The beer is too cold to be judged, and I've got to rejoin my people several blocks away in 15 min. Damn. This isn't an ideal scenario.

There's almost no aroma. I'm warming it w/ my hands.

Reminds me of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barley wine. Oh man, its warming up. The butterscotch and fig are emerging in the mouth. But the aroma is still rather tame.

Damn, I've gotta go. Chug a lug.

11/9/13
On tap at Dexter's, Madison. Another Founders tap takeover is a beautiful thing. And to get to take my time with this one, even better. Dexter's serves half-pours in these handsome little snifters. I'm drinking this alongside a half-snifter of Devil Dancer. What an awesome combo.

This pour is a beauty: dark-coppery brown w/ high clarity and a fluffy off-white head.

In the nose first you get ripe cherry--a big old waft of cherry that's just really remarkable. Then bourbon and buttery caramel and a bit of umami and vanilla that's somewhat sickeningly sweet.

Surprisingly roasty-sweet malt first on the front of the tongue. Then that stone fruit from the aroma coats the mouth, with booze and hop bitterness in the finish

Near-syrup viscosity, and a bit of alcohol warmth in the throat, with mild-to-moderate carbonation.

--------------
11/6/14
I've ridden my bike all over town to score two 4-pks worth. Just a couple of tasting notes to add.

Pours into a tulip glass way darker than I remember it.

Beautiful aroma, just beautiful. Gotta raise the "smell" score.

Neither do I remember the milk chocolate flavor in the mouth.

My wife says it reminds her strikingly of Tyranena Dirty Old Man, which was a barrel-aged imperial porter. I agree.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company