Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

#334

Ratings: 8,146 |  Reviews: 1,847

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

Founders Backwards Bastard, aged 6 months in my fridge (yes, I am drinking it fresh), 10.2% ABV, a 12 oz. bottle and poured into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured deep ruby brown with a very little head and lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel and smoky malt with a hint of vanilla, no pronounced hop presence, no obvious off flavors.

Taste: Candied dates and baking chocolate. There is also a spicy and earthy aftertaste that I attribute to the oak bourbon barrels used in the aging process and the 50 IBUs of hop flavor.

Mouth feel: Medium to full body and low carbonation. The bitter sweetness clings to the upper palette. There is definitely an umami effect as I keep running my tongue along my upper palette. Also a nice warming alcohol finish.

Overall: Founders has been making great beer for over 20 years. Backwards Bastard is an amazingly subtle yet complex beer. You will find the flavor change with each sip as the beer warms and the taste lingers. You can drink this with almost any rich food and meal course; from roasted garlic Portobello mushrooms, to a medium-rare rib eye, or a flourless chocolate raspberry cake. But why wait for the food. As my favorite late night talk show host would exclaim, “This is a beverage”.

4.9/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had the chance to have the 2011 version on tap at a founders event by me. On 6/12/13

Was poured in a 8oz short shot looking glass...

Appearance was dark brown with pretty much no head, slight lacing but nearly none.

Smell was phenomenal. Definitely smelled the barrel age in there but everything blended well together.. you can smell the alcohol but nothing off putting.

Taste was phenomenal as well... very smooth with minimal carbonation but definitely a sipper. Not like any wee heavy I've tried... all the characteristics are there but with that aged Bourbon kinda feel.

Overall.... I cannot judge this on the current or year of backwoods bastard because I had one that was 2 old. I would say the one I had was absolutely phenomenal and if your into Scotch ale's/wee heavys than definitely seek out an aged one, specifically founders, and you will love it as well...I am gonna buy a 4 pack and age them as well... see how they turn out in a few years.

2.5/5  rDev -42.5%