Founders Backwoods Bastard | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

"Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

Reviews: 1,797 | Ratings: 7,926
3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

I love Founders beers! This is the second of only two bottles I have found in the Chicago area. I had the first a couple months ago but did not review it. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark brown that appears a lighter brown when held to the light. About a half inch of head that fades quickly with light/minimal lacing.

S: Smells like whiskey/bourbon. I can smell a bit of vanilla underneath.

T: I taste whiskey/bourbon. I like that part of the taste, but I'm having a hard time tasting any beer behind it. I can *almost* taste something in the finish, but the bourbon remains to extinguish anything else I can identify.

M: Medium mouthfeel with little carbonation. The aftertaste lingers for a few seconds.

D: I think drinkability is very low on this one. I'd rather drink some whiskey or bourbon because that is pretty much all I taste.

As I began, I love Founders brews but this one doesn't do it for me. I find this one interesting because I really love fresh GI BCS. However, the big difference for me is I can taste the beer in BCS but I can't with this one. Maybe it needs more time on it?

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Picked up a 4-pack of these at my local the other day. $17.

A - dark brown, mostly opaque with the slightest rim of off-white head

S - lots of sweetness and scotchy smells, some vanilla

T - scotchy scotch scotch. Having a hard time getting past the scotch on the taste, there's some definite sweetness, but mostly what I taste in this beer is what used to be in the barrel before this beer was in it, and not the actual beer itself.

M - really thin, low carbonation, pretty smooth, like drinking hard liquor

O - admittedly I'm not a big fan of scotch, but I can appreciate it to a certain degree in beer. Unfortunately, it's way too overpowering in this brew. I prefer my beers to have their own flavours and not simply be barrel leaches. I'll give this another go in a few months probably, but will probably try to trade the other two away.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

This bastard was the best looking thing in the bar, so I'm sippin it in.

That said, I'm tired of drinking bourbon beers. It's almost like soup - choose what you are! Solid or liquid!

This bastard smells sweet, caramel, bourbon. Can't detct the bitter. Dark dark amber. Deep. Normal lacing, quickly fading head that sustains.

Taste follows nose. Sweet, bourbon, caramel, malts. Tons of them. It overshoots and misses the mark, IMO. But maybe I'm not suited for a "wee heavy" style scotch strong ale like this one.

Maybe I'm a lightweight low abv smooth drinking bastards. Not from the backwoods. Still well made though. Can never deny Founders that. Cheers!

3.24/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Founders.

L: dark brown, thin white head
S: bourbon, caramel, maple syrup
T: mostly bourbon, hint of caramel
F: on the heavy side

Not a big fan. Too sweet and too much bourbon.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

Picked up a sole bottle at Lush the other day. Was surprised to see what they had to offer, and realized I had not reviewed this fine brew before. Chilled and killed this evening from my favorite brandy snifter.

A- Tough job on forming a head. What did develop, a minor quarter finger, was a yellowish tinged cream with huge bubbles forming a zig zag through the cap. Barely lasts five minutes to a flaccid skin and limp collar.

Deep, deep brown body. Almost as if we took brown food coloring and nearly saturated a glass. Carbonation is hidden for the most part, not much visualization of it.

S- The oak comes forward more-so than anything else. It has that sweet, earthy aroma. Hints of vanilla characteristic of the style. The bourbon comes forth more so as an antiseptic offering. More alcohol than anything else.

T- An explosion of sweet caramels. Huge malt bomb on the opening. It dies off in a shooting star pattern to reveal the barrel characteristics. Its bourbon sweet without the heat of it melding perfectly with the oak flavors. Woody with vanilla edging. It may have lacked the heat, but as it warms the pure ethanol flavors start to creep from the edges in. It has a extremely dry finish. Very little sweetness to pair it.

M- Highly medicinal. Disgustingly medicinal, actually. It evolves to a bottle of rubbing alcohol, ethyl style. It has the right amount of carbonation, but the flavors you want to linger do not. Thin, mild body. Its such a disappointment here.

D- The alcohol doesn't burn, but it just tastes awful. Truly, truly, gross fora finish. If I could capture the first moments and let them last I'd find this to be a good beer. Unfortunately, that is not the fact. This 10% tastes more like a 20% or worse. I'm forced to drink it further as I hit the middle of the bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

This is an interesting one for me. At this time, it is my second barrel aged beer and my second Wee Heavy, and the first time both come together for me. Not really sure what to expect but here goes!

A - Pours a really muddy, ruby red color with brown and plum highlights. Builds about a 2.5-fingered head that is almost gone before I can turn around and look at it again. Some minimal lacing on the side I'm drinking out of, but besides that the glass is pretty scarce.

S - Smell is dominated mostly by sweet, smokey peat, malts, and bourbon. Oak and earth tones are really prominent, and after straining, I can barely pick up some fruit and vanilla notes.

T - The first thing I really pick up about the taste of this beer is the overbearing sweetness in the aftertaste. There's the Wee Heavy characteristics I found before, and the bourbon is there too, but the most memorable thing about this beer is the long, sweet aftertaste. Could definitely benefit from more bourbon character or some way to balance the sweetness. The finish is long, and I can pick up the vanilla and oak a lot more easily than the nose.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to heavy with mild carbonation. Rather than getting more of the bourbon shock I experienced with Weyerbacher's Insanity, this leaves the palate relatively barrel-taste free and the most forward characteristic is the sweetness.

D - Drinkability for me is fairly low. It may be just me getting acclimated to both of the styles, but I found this to be a real sipper and it wasn't easy to get down. For me, the sweet malts were just too much for this beer.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Was really excited to get to try this one, but was immediately surprised by the hefty booze notes, both in the nose and on the palate. The purported smoky notes, which I'd hoped would balance out the booze and attendant sweetness, struggled to come through. There's certainly some dark fruit and toffee-like sweetness throughout, but they're not particularly inviting accords in lieu of the dominating bourbon. Yet another beer I just don't get.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

a- bottle poured into a tasting glass, not much head to be had due to the high alcohol, chesnut brown with a slight haze, really great label, love the artwork.

s- lots of alcohol, walnut, loads of malt, and straight up bourbon.

t- right off the bat this beer shows that it's not playing around, loads of alcohol, bourbon, a slight buttery-ness, carmelized brown sugar, dark fruits, oak. this is one complex bad boy.

m- medium bodied.

d- this is one strong, potent beer. i'm glad i had the chance to try it, but this isn't something i could polish off on my own with much ease. the alchohol and strong flavors in the bastard hinder the drinkability a bit, overall though this is a pretty fine beer.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

...seems thin in the body...

...has a decent dose of hop bitterness on the finish...

...oak and bourbon notes are very subtle but add a little vanilla and caramel to the taste...

...more vanilla and nougat evident on aroma than taste....

...feels boozy and alcoholic...

...this is OK but far from a great beer...

...abv makes this a sipper but the body does not...

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a deep amber with a thin off-white head that leaves some spotty laceing.

S: Bourbon and alcohol up front, some vanilla and oak, hints of cocoa.

T: Strong bourbon flavor, oak is more mellow,hints of tabacco, malt in the form of toffee and biscuit, some vanilla and cocoa, bitterness in the finish. Too much bourbon, flavors are unbalanced.

M: Very thin and hot, flavor hits you then seems to just dissapear, no finish.

D: A decent beer but too thin and unbalanced, worth trying but not one that I will try again.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

Deep red almost mahogany body generously dusted with particulate and capped by a small bone colored head that is somewhat resistant to forming. First scent to hit is sweet bourbon followed by candy sugars and hints of vanilla and anise. Flavors hit all at once. Bourbon, sweet sugary malts, a bit of vanilla and spicy alcohol. Smooth woody flavors from start to finish, but never coming close to taking over the bourbon. A bit thin a slightly watery...not what I was expecting....

As it continues to warm some slight dark fruit notes come out but really this beer basically tastes like watered down sweet bourbon...I am starting to think that my notes above took a bit of digging to detect.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Look:
Pours a muddy brown color with a half finger, beige head.

Aroma:
Rich with lots of sticky toffee, caramel, molasses and mild fudge. Somewhat fruity and candy like with hints of sweet red licorice and candied apples. Has a faint woody character. Alcohol is detectable on the nose.

Taste:
Very sweet. Upfront you get a smooth and rich albeit slightly alcoholic toffee, butterscotch and molasses flavor.There are spicy notes of cinnamon, cola, smoked oak wood and vanilla beans in the background. Vague notions of licorice and candied apples hiding somewhere. It ends on more boozy notes of really sweet caramel, red fruits, and chocolate.

Feel:
Very sticky and sugary sweet on the tongue. Borderline slimy. As previously mentioned it's slightly hot and alcoholic. Medium body with low carbonation.

Overall:
The flavor is good, but it's too sweet for me. A one and done beer in my opinion. Something I really have to be in the right type of mood for in order to enjoy properly.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cheers to Bilco for sharing this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 3/31/12

Appearance: Dark amber with a ton of red, surprisingly clear, small, off-white head - minimal lacing

Smell: Bourbon, bourbon everywhere - caramel malts, caramelized malts, slightly toasted malts, overpowered by booze and wood

Taste: Did I say bourbon? Bourbon! - caramel malts, molasses, with alcohol, booze - so much wood - kind of musty, the prominent bourbon flavor is not good - it's like the base beer isn't heavy enough to handle the barrel aging, really lacks balance

Mouthfeel: Medium body, dry, sticky booze

Overall: Not great, honestly

I would like to think that I have an appreciation for barrel aging, but this beer seems to emphasize all of the things I do not like about barrel aging. The malt profile needs to be more robust to balance the wood, bourbon, and alcohol. And the bourbon flavor is not good... I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this, but I must admit I was disappointed.

Update: 12/7/13

Drinking a fresh bottle. This is better than I remember, but it does have the flaws that I identified about a year and a half ago. The smell is absolutely dominated by booze, but there are some nice, chewy malts (upping the smell from 3.00 to 3.50). The taste is extremely boozy, but the bourbon is better than I remembered, as are the malts (upping the taste from 2.50 to 3.25). The mouthfeel is on the thin side for the flavors (upping the mouthfeel from 3.00 to 3.25). Overall, it's still not stellar.

Update: 2/4/15

Drinking a 2014 bottle. I'm still not impressed. Scores unchanged.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had fresh on draft and a 1 year cellared bottle pour.

L: Nice dark and viscous pour. Not much head.

S: Hmm. Getting alot of burnt tobacco, dark malts, caramel and an overpowering barrel hit.

T: Flavorful, but again, overpowering barrel flavors. Seems like alot of the complexities open up with a 20 minute warmup phase, but this is still too hot.

F: A little sticky but I want more body. This need a soft character to invite all these flavors. And it's just not present.

O: I guess some people just masturbate furiously to any Founder's release. This is indeed a bastardized brew.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured deep maroon color with decent carbonation leaving a small dirty white head.Nose of booze, caramel, oak and more booze and whiskey. Taste is just big booze, bourbon, some light vanilla but hot and how does anyone call this a Wee Heavy is beyond me. It is a Strong Ale. In that category, yes it is ok, however, way off balanced, as a strong ale it needs some time to downplay the bourbon. If you like that sort of thing then great. It just took control of this beer and left it undrinkable for me.
///
Note to richbrew. Lets clear this up?? Lets do that. Whatever floats your boat. Before you criticize reviews and taste of others you might want to review more than 17 beers. Secondly, dont bash other reviews. Its one's own taste and choice.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Brown with a bit of a golden tint to it; small nearly non existent head sits on top.

S - Smoky peat mixed with hint of vanilla and oaky; slight hint of maraschino cherry

T - a bit smoky with hints of oak mixed in; roasted malt comes out as well as a bit of bitterness that hangs on the back; Rather rough flavor profile as the beer seems to want to rip your mouth apart; you can feel the strong bitter flavor ebb and flowing along your palate; nice spiciness comes in on the back side every once and awhile. this is one beer that became much noticablely better when it warmed up . Hints of oak and vanilla increased with the strong bitterness seemed to mellow out.

MF - Has a good bit of tingle to it as it just really makes your toungle tingly; this last for a while; the beer itself is a bit thin for my taste and the style

D - Overall, i wasn't too impressed by this one. It was sort of rough in the mouth and the flavor profile wasn't anything too special. I really didn't care for how the peat, bitterness and oaky spicness came together. They just didn't seem to blend right as one area was always a bit out of whack. We'll see what time does for it but i wasn't too impressed.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Mixed Drink of Beers. Okay head. Nothing special there. Rich, brown color. Smells sweet, you can smell the alcohol as well. Smells of whisky/bourbon. Tastes sweet, but harsh. You can definitely taste the alcohol, it's not masked much at all. A great beer for a whisky drinker, not so much for me.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Founders Backwoods Bastard.

ANDDDDDDDDD NOWWWWWW FOR THE SCOTCH ALE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. THIS BEER COMES IN AT 11.6%, AN UNKNOW IBU, FIGHTINGGG OUT OF MICHIGAN, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN...IT'SSSSSSSSS TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!.

Alright enough of that shit. Stuff finally arrived in my town and this is the first year I was able to actually get ahold of some. At $16.99 a four pack it better be as good as the hype would have you believe. Let's do it.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle directly into a snifter. Pours smoothly and cleanly with an amber body that is virtually crystal clear like the waters of the bahamas..only y'know, amber like the liquids of my slain enemies instead of blue like the oceans. The head mounts to a solid one finger of slightly off white bubbly head that doesn't stick around for more than maybe thirty seconds. Eventually the head dies down to some weakened cloud formations amongst the top of the swill. Carbonation appears to be very low. No lacing is left after the beer is gone.

Smell - Admittedly the nose isn't as large as what I had expected. Lots of bourbob up front exactly as expected, but I'm not getting a whole lot of the maltyness I assumed would be in this beer. A bit of the oak characteristic comes through, as does some peat levels and smaller amounts of vanilla. Overall this nose is dominated by the bourbon and not much else. It screams a higher ABV than only 11.6%. Maybe it needs to just warm a up a bit and we'll see what we get. Alright now that it has warmed up a bit the vanilla notes really come through and dominate alongside the bourbon but it still isn't quite as strong as I had expected.

Taste - Boozy with a capital B. Big scotch levels boozyness with a large oak presence and a vanilla that lingers well into the afterlife. Really astounded at the notability of the alcohol in this beer given than 11.6% isn't THAT much by todays beer standards. Caramel malts finally do come through but it is once again, highly dominated by the massive level of alcohol.

Feel - Body is as thick as I had expected though a bit cold. Carbonation is very low. The vanilla is there along with the oak barrel bullshat and a big boozyness exactly as expected. Swallows a bit rougher than I was anticipating. Burns at a moderate level as yoy swallow it.

Overall - Well...I'm disappointed. This is an alright beer, do not get me wrong, but there wasn't much more than just a big boozy concoction thrown into a bottle. The oak and vanilla surely come through but I didn't feel there was enough of the actual scotch ale components for this to be considered great. At $16.99 a four pack, and with this specific flavor profile and the absolute failure of booze hiding, I will most definitely pass in the future. I'll have no problem finishing the 4 pack, but there is no way this should be the highest rated scotch ale on here..

I'll drink a second at room temperature to see if anything changes, but at 53F it stands as written.

ROOM TEMPERATURE EDIT. No changes. Cept it looks a bit better.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks to russwbeck for the opportunity.

Poured into a snifter and allowed to warm. A murky amber brown with a thin caramel tan head. Aroma is nothing but bourbon, vanilla, oak, spice. No hint of malts or hops that I could tell. The taste is better. Blended sweetness on the tongue, still strongly bourbon but with more wee heavy present. A sweet but not cloying finish, thanks in part to a mild alcoholic drying feel. Overall the abv was not overwhelming present. Generally full body.

I'm not a bourbon person, so this was a miss for me. But it's a nice foray into malt-forward and -bal side of experimental brews as opposed to massive IPAs or sours.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gave it a couple shots spread out over time and I just cant get into it. Wayy too much booze on both the nose and the taste. Once you get past the booze there are some nice notes hidden underneath but they are completely overwhelmed. The smell reminds me of a jack and coke. Taste is overwhelming booze then a decent bourboney finish. Will try to keep a couple in the cellar and see how it mellows with age...

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

Dark crimson colored with a tight beige lace that leaves larges bubbles as it relocates to the rim of the glass.
Earthy malts with brown sugar and liquorice, given the full barrel treatment. Tons of oak, with butter and vanilla, and a loud black cherry accent. And a lot of flagrant booze as well. There's a bit of wavering dill aroma that I sometimes pick up in barreled brews. Chilled, it comes out, but fortunately fades as it warms.
It begins caramelly, with some danker notions of peat and dirt. The barrel hits almost immediately, stripping the malt of its girth, and showcasing the oaky tannins- with vague vanillins and buttered toast- and mentholated black cherries. It fades around the swallow, as the booziness takes hold adding flame and a vapid overstrong fruity dark rum drink notion.
It begins gripping and full bodied, but sheds weight throughout the sip, ending on the vacant and flaccid side, despite its obvious alcoholic heft.
The malt profile seems to be going through the motions, and for this to succeed, it needs to carry the beer. As such, it is too reliant on the barrelled traits. Here, they seem unattached and over-imposed. The beer needs to catch up with the Bourbon, not be simply an afterthought.
If you simply want boozy and barrel-aged, look no further. Forget finesse.
Personally, I want to be able to identfy the Scotch Ale traits underneath it all. And this doesn't allow me to do that.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

I had this beer off the tap at Barcade in Brooklyn.It came in a brandy snifter and had a very dark if not black color to it. It had a very strong alcohol scent to it.

This beer tastes a lot like a port, actually. Very heavy and smokey, thus the scotch ale branding. It's definitely a good beer but this is just not my type.

I had this again off the tap on Jan. 17, 2013, and I would score it exactly the same.

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%

I thankfully have the mid afternoon sun in my eyes so I could hold this one up and really see the color. Deep ruby with so much yeast and haze in there you almost feel impressed that light gets through. There’s a cap of foam after an aggressive pour, but it only lasts seconds and leaves a touch of white that calling head would be an insult to head.

Hints of oak and vanilla over a sweet malty back bone. Some sweet caramel notes at the finish from the base beer, but they are far away.

This beer is a rich combination of rather intensely sweet caramel malt with a hot and powerful vanilla and oak dominated bourbon. There really isn’t anything else to say. There’s a lot of flavor and subtlety to these qualities but no hops or combinations of malt flavors.

Dirty bastard is a thick beer with a lot of body to it. This one is no difference, I’d say it is on the heavy side of the style and only big stouts are thicker. That said there’s minimal carbonation so this beer drinks a touch flat. This one is also very hot, way too hot to be only 10.2%.

I know a lot of people who really look forward to this one and hype it up a good bit. For me I can’t say I’m in that group. I love bourbon but frankly I was bored to death by Dirty Bastard. This beer is rather tasty and I am putting a few bottles aside to see if age helps, but frankly this one finds itself in that special place where it isn’t a great late night sipper or a nice pairing for a meal.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, dannyfrost!

(Aged for 6 months)

Dark brown, hazed, and almost ruby/dark purple in color with no head and very little, nearly zero, visible carbonation. Disappointing and unexpected.

Very well-rounded, integrated aroma of vanilla, earth, bourbon, caramel, and nougat. This comes together nicely, though if everything was amplified more, it would score much better. The aroma seems dulled by time.

The flavor too is far more dull and muted than I expected. The flavors of vanilla, bourbon, and sweet chocolate candy are present, but are somewhat faraway and distant. Nice, but not overly complex or interesting.

Medium bodied with no carbonation.

I was expecting this beer to be a punch in the mouth, but it was fully lacking compared to what I was expecting. That being said, it was still a tasty beer.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Founders- Backwoods Bastard

A- Chunky (full of floaters) Amber with a frothy head. Laces nicely along the top half of the glass.
S- Very faint bourbon whiskey, oak, and vanilla.
T- Very creamy vanilla caramel with a light and sweet oak, charcoal bourbon twang.
M- Very creamy and sweet. Boozy alc really hits you in the end.

Overall- My bottle says Alc by Vol. 8.7%!?!
Regardless this 1 is creamy and smooth throught until the booze in the end. A good sipper.

Founders Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing Company