Más Agave - Grapefruit

4.09 | pDev: 9.78%
From:
Founders Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Más Agave - GrapefruitMás Agave - Grapefruit
Notes: The cocktail inspiration lives on. Our imperial gose is brewed with agave and sea salt before being aged in tequila barrels. But it doesn’t end there. Once it’s pulled from the barrels, it gets a dose of fresh grapefruit juice to ramp up the tanginess and to pay homage to our other favorite tequila-based cocktail, the Paloma. Sweet, salty, and mouth-puckeringly delicious. ¡Más Agave… Grapefruit!
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 108 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
stortore from Illinois

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle into a tulip snifter. Bottled 4/22/20, had 10/27/20.

Pours a medium orange color, cloudy, with a half inch foamy head with good retention and a good amount of foamy lacing. Aromas of grapefruit, agave, light malt and caramel, light tequila as it warms, a general citrus aroma, a hint of brine. Similar flavors- grapefruit, sea salt, malt, some caramel, light tequila and agave. It’s fairly sweet. Smooth, a very good light to medium body, well carbonated.

This is good overall, but not as good as the original version. The barrels are lighter and the grapefruit does not give this the same pop that the limes did in Mas Agave. Still, it’s certainly enjoyable.

Nov 17, 2020
CowboysFanInMD from Maryland

3.64/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is an "acquired taste" beer. It tastes more like a cocktail than a beer - but I like it. I had the 2019 version last Summer, so I knew what to expect with the 2020 version. I like the addition of the grapefruit, but I think there is still too much tequila taste for anyone who dislikes tequila.

Sep 12, 2020
buschbeer from Ohio

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pint glass

This beer pours amber with copper highlights. It has a slight haze. It is topped with a fleeting tan head that leaves no lacing.

It smells sweet. I get hints of grapefruit. The tequila is tough for me to detect, but I get a little.

The taste is grapefruit and lime. I don't see lime on the label. Maybe that is the agave. It is tart. Tequila in the finish.

Medium bodied and syrupy mouthfeel

I like it. But I am a big Mahou San Miguel fan.

Aug 28, 2020
ovaltine from Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer looks like a new penny - that’s the copper color I see after an aggressive pour settles a bit. There’s a sudsy tan head that dissipates quickly. I don’t think this looks particularly like a Gose, but I think it’s a pretty striking beer.

As a matter of fact, this beer doesn’t really present like a Gose on any measurable trait. It doesn’t smell particularly salty, though Thera subtle salty note. What it does smell like is grapefruit, along with a sweetness from the agave.

There’s grapefruit and a LOT of sweetness on the taste, but there’s little if any flavor from the tequila barrel - until this sits a bit and you feel the boozy warmth in your gullet.

And the mouthfeel isn’t “bright” or “effervescent” like a Gose, but it is thirst quenching.

What it’s like is what the bottle describes - a tequila-based cocktail. As someone that doesn’t particularly care for cocktails, this is pretty nice.

But it’s not like any Gose I’ve ever seen or tried.

Aug 09, 2020
dss27 from Michigan

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just finished another ("bottled 04/17/20") and what can be said that hasn't already? I'll save the BJCP comments for more "conventional" beers. This is basically a carbonated grapefruit Margarita and taken in that context (as is the case for its non-grapefruit-enhanced sister), it basically rocks. On a hot (or not so hot) day, it cuts through thirst like Bell's Oberon (THE "lawnmower beer"--even better on draught) but provides even more of a sensory impact (and ABV wallop, to be sure). Goes down with the ease of a session beer, but waaaay to strong to allow myself more than one per session (cheap date). Simply yummy (and I'm generally not a huge fan of most of the gose style beers I've tried--especially the more salt-infused varieties). You've got to experience this at least once. Unless of course you don't like a good Margarita (of course, I now have to try a Paloma)...

Aug 09, 2020
Guaro from Italy

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

White coarse-grained and irregular foam with little hold, intense orange body. Scent of tequila, lime, pink grapefruit. On the palate there are all the elements perceived olfactory. Salty pungent finish, slight acidity with citric aftertaste and slightly woody and vanilla notes. Round and medium body with high carbonation which gives it a certain angularity.

Aug 06, 2020
Ohknows from Nevada

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice copper color.

This one has a lot going on, I like the smell, and it looks awesome. I rate the smell and feel of this beer a little below the smell and look. I get a tart-ish, boozy-ish and grapefruit flavor.

This beers is hitting all my craft beer taste buds and I don’t minds it. Well done!

Jul 31, 2020
arizcards from Arizona

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a single from the Craft Beer Hop Stop 5-18-20 for $3.75. Bottled on 4-27-20; consumed 7-29-20. Thought this would be appropriate for a 112 degree afternoon.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head with the initial pour.

Nose is very nice as this has a nice agave and tequila bent.

Taste has a mild sour profile with hints of lime and grapefruit. A touch of tequila is in the mix along with notes of vanilla surprisingly.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall this is a nice variant but not quite as good as the original. I am not a sour head but i do enjoy lime and margaritas so this was right up my alley. Definitely fun to try at a fair price.

Jul 29, 2020
Scotchboy from Idaho

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle split into chalice's with the wife. Stoked for this one; I'm anticipating a lighter-bodied Gose with lots of tequila and citrus character. The beer pours out a warm golden color, approaching copper; darker than I expected. On the nose I pull out quite a bit of what I would call malty sweetness combined with barrel character, with that effervescent impression of a tequila cocktail...taste-wise the grapefruit is there along with a heavy dose of agave (I would call it a honey/malt sweetness combination if I didn't know better), which leads into a heavier body and mouthfeel than I was expecting, even though I understand this is a 10% brew. Somewhat boozy as well, which I would be ok with if the body of the beer didn't linger as long on the palate...overall this is tough to rate; it probably lands where Founders wanted it too, but after reading some reviews I had a different picture of what the brew would taste like, so this didn't really land for me.

Jul 13, 2020
zeff80 from Missouri

12oz bottle. Poured out a slightly cloudy, golden orange color with a fluffy, cream-colored head of foam. It left some sudsy rings of lace. It smelled of grapefruit, tart lemon, salt and bread crust. It was sweet and boozy with lots of grapefruit and tartness.

Jul 13, 2020
firesidewithphil from Illinois

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Mas Agave stands alone as an imperial gose. The grapefruit variant plays off the same profile but adds a ton of grapefruit juice. This one puckers but still delivers on the bold, imperial front.

IG: @firesidewithphil

teromous from Virginia

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%

From the back label: "Packaged On: 04.18.20 0518"
The bottle that I have states: "9.7% ALC. BY VOL."

Appearance: The body is a tawny brown color with a good deal of haze. The head is medium-sized and slightly off-white with a creamy texture. Some head retention but it fades. Not much for lacing.

Aroma: There is an aroma of plum, dates, some brown sugar, and kiwi fruit. A bit of honeydew melon comes through. The aromas are mellow but pleasant.

Taste: Up front a very tart raspberry-like flavor comes through. This is quickly joined by a very sweet, sugary tangerine flavor. It is sickly sweet. There is a tartness to the beer which plays on the sweetness a bit. It has some good flavors but it is way too sweet.

Mouthfeel: It is full bodied and smooth with a thickness that fills the palate. A tart character cuts into the smoothness a bit. No bitterness.

Overall: The beer label states that this is "BREWED WITH GRAPEFRUIT AND AGAVE AGED IN TEQUILA BARRELS." The barrel and tequila characters are completely lost in this beer. While there is some citrus character it doesn't taste specifically like grapefruit, and the beer is overly sweet. Having tried the original (non grapefruit variant) last year, I would not recommend this and I would recommend trying the original instead. I don't know if it is this beer specifically or if they changed the recipe, but it doesn't taste nearly as good. I wouldn't buy this variant again.

russpowell from Arkansas

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours an effervescent amber with a sliver of beige head. No lacing or head tetention

S: Grapefruit & a little fig

T: Dry, pears, a little tartness & figs & a little cherry up front, some grapefruit on the edge up front. More dryness & cherry, plus leafy hops lead the way, some tartness as this warms, a little salt I suppose, lime as well, Finishes dry, tart with a sweetness that is hard to pin down, cherry I suppose

MF: Slight carbonation & medium body

This alright, but O ;ike the regular Mas Agave more, thought this needed more grapefruit pop

entheos from California

4.87/5  rDev +19.1%

Simply a wonderful addition to the Founder’s tequila barrel brews! It tastes better than margarita I’ve tried and feels so heavenly refreshing, I wish I bought more. The only disappointment is a syrupy aftertaste. Still, not enough to keep me from calling this world class!

Jul 11, 2020
drdiesel9483 from Ohio

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look - orangish copper color with a very slight haze and head
Smell - has that agave grapefruit tequilla scent but also some caramel
Taste - grapefruit margaritta. Pretty sweet candied grapefruit taste to it and salty
Feel - medium full body with a light carbonation and slightly syrupy
Overall - really good but not as good as the normal one.

Jul 07, 2020
REVZEB from Illinois

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Feel like I was the odd one in my beer circles in that I really enjoyed the orignal, and guess what this is better! Bronze pour with a white cap. Smell stars the grapefruit juice, agave/tequila, wood, hints of salt, lemon zest, and orange pulp. Taste hits you with boozy grapefruit with a juicy and sweet culmination before the wood, zest, weak wheat, booze, and salt crash you back down in a satisfying way. Feel is way smoother than the original, booze is present but doesn't overshadow, smooth and refreshing despite high abv. Great summer beer, keep them coming founders!

Jul 04, 2020
Franziskaner from Missouri

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark copper colored with a quarter inch of densely packed, creamy light beige on top. The aroma is of grapefruit, tequila, agave, and salt. I’m tasting a very busy flavor profile with grapefruit leading the way. There’s also tequila, agave, and salt. The mouth is salinic and dry.

Jul 04, 2020
VoxRationis from New York

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a Bell's snifter glass; a 2020 release bottled 04/18/20.
A: Pours a hazy dark amber color with pretty clearing to a one finger, creamy, light tan head, rim retention, but little or no lacing.
S: Very fruity. Aromas of caramel, navel orange, lime, ?agave, pink grapefruit, and sea salt.
T: Surprisingly sweet, maybe a bit too much so. Flavors follow and are a melange of the nose to a degree at first. Thought I picked up a honey, raisin, toffee, and tequila, but it really tasted like mead by the end. The agave is there, but I thought just as a textural enhancement than a contributor to the overall flavor. Low bitterness.
M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation.
O: Interesting. Cannot say I am as excited as I was for the original Más Agave, which tastes to me like Key Lime pie. Just found that I picked up another and I'm thrilled.

Jul 02, 2020
WoodBrew from Ohio

3.84/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My brother in law brought a bottle of this beer to my parents house. It poured a clear amber with no head and no lace. The scent had very mellow citrus notes. The taste was tart leaning with ruby grapefruit base and citrus syrup highlights. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall its a good beer.

Jun 27, 2020
KRug from Massachusetts

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 4/10/20

I finally found this one out in the wild, good looks Total Wine. I loved the base beer a ton, and I’m so happy to try a variant

Pours a hazy copper orange with a finger of white head that quickly reduces to a thin ring and leaves no lacing

This one is more sweet tequila amd wood forward in the aroma than the base beer. Loads of agave and lime, the grapefruit is very subtle in the aroma

Sharp grapefruit and general citrus to start things off here. Mid palate gets almost syrupy sweet, but the finish balances it out with subtle tart orange. There’s a lot going on here, but it doesn’t really all come together

A thick body with mild carbonation, this doesn’t exactly drink easy. Does it feel like 10%? No, but it’s heavy from the sweetness

I was hoping for more with this one. The grapefruit did not contribute much, but what it did contribute just distracted from the original. Oh well, I’d still try other variants should they make them

Jun 26, 2020
jvgoor3786 from Arkansas

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Wow. This is amazing. I loved the original and I love grapefruit, so this seems obvious. Pours an orange color with a thin, quick head.

The smell is sour grapefruit with a bit of tequila. Really nice on the nose.

The taste has a ton of grapefruit, great salt, and decent tequila flavors. A bit sour and all the flavors blend perfectly.

The mouthfeel is sticky and thick.

This is a great beer.

Jun 26, 2020
Ernald_Elbertson from Delaware

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've already reviewed Más Agave Lime, so I won't give this a full review, but rather compare them. While the standard Más Agave is sweet and sour with the tequila in the back, the Grapefruit edition is actually more teqila-forward in my opinion, if only by a little. The Grapefruit gives it a slight bitterness and cuts back on the sweet, which in my opinion is welcome. I do think the salt is more pronounced on the grapefruit variety. Smell and taste both follow this trend. They look similar, and feel similar overall. These beers are simultaneously very similar (you'd probably think they were related if given them both with no label), yet quite distinct and offer different experiences overall. If you like Margs, go for the Lime; if you like Palomas, go for this! I prefer this one slightly, but that's probably due to personal preference more than anything.

Jun 25, 2020
CaptainHate from Ohio

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First day of summer and warm so time to switch to something more tropical. Despite the intense flavor and sweetness, this tastes very refreshing in small sips. The grocery store didn't have the regular Más Agave so I can't do a side by side comparison but maybe later this summer I'll have an opportunity. I'm a fan.

Jun 21, 2020
EMV from Pennsylvania

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Hazed golden amber pour with thick foamy white head. Nice ring of sticky lacing.

S: Sweets and tequila. Lime, grapefruit, and margarita.

T.F: Sweet and tangy... grapefruit and lime. Agave, tequila, and oak. Sticky mouthfeel... medium bodied. Syrupy with a bit of a pucker. Some salinity at the finish.

O: Tastes like a margarita with a hint of grapefruit. Really love this and the standard 'Mas Agave'. Founders made some unique and interesting beers here.

Jun 17, 2020
ilikebeer03 from Texas

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a deep ruby red with a finger of off white foam. Fades a a ring around the glass. Not bad for a sour
Nose is an almost candy like sweetness. Touch of sweet grapefruit
Taste is sweet grapefruit, hint of salt, tequila, subtle lime, sweet agave, wheat in the finish. Not overly tart.
Good beer. Not as good as the line version from 2019.

Jun 14, 2020