Mothership Series #12: Blushing Padre

4.05 | pDev: 7.9%
From:
Founders Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: We introduced our Belgian-style raspberry ale "Blushing Monk" to a tequila barrel and wound up with what can only be described as an international love affair. Now who's Blushing?
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
buschbeer from Ohio

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a snifter

This beer pours a brilliant garnet color. It is topped with less than an inch of beige head that leaves spotty lacing.

It has a fruity aroma. I get raspberry and a sweet candy smell. I get hints of tequila.

I has a rather intense raspberry flavor. It is sweet and warming. I get hints of tequila in the finish.

Medium bodied with a syrupy yet smooth mouthfeel

This bottle was more mellow than it was on draft. The raspberry shines and the Belgian base beer seems a perfect marriage of flavor. The tequila, as I mentioned is subtle. I can't wait to do a side by side with Blushing Monk.

Oct 10, 2020
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

3.17/5  rDev -21.7%

Haha, no. Another tequila barrel experience that I couldn't take. My wife, however, quite enjoyed it. I'm doubly saddened because I love Blushing Monk so much, but the nice bubbly raspberry goodness is tamped down and overwhelmed by barrel and Tequila.

Jul 24, 2020
Buck_Jones from Michigan

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled on 3/18/20. Poured into a Bruery RS tulip glass.

A semi-vigorous pour yields a decent sized head that slowly dissipates over a few minutes; a nice ruby red just as regular Blushing Monk.

The nose is raspberry-heavy and I do pick up the faintest barrel, but it’s mostly raspberry.

The taste does indeed follow the nose; a heavy hit of raspberry and a little tequila barrel at the end. The feel is on point.

An enjoyable brew, but I do like Blushong Monk quite a bit, so that may play a role. Similarly to the first review on here, I could’ve used more barrel. There doesn’t seem to be that big a difference between Padre and Monk.

Jul 20, 2020
Sparty1224 from Michigan

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 16 oz. crowler poured into a Founder's CBS snifter. No brewed on date, but I know this was initially supposed to come out in March before COVID-19, so it's likely 5 months old.

A: Pours the classic Blushing Monk ruby red with just a slight ring of off-white head.

S: Honestly, not getting much tequila here. Seems just like regular, fresh Blushing Monk, raspberries all the way.

T: Hm, again, not a lot of barrel. If I was served this blind, I'd say it's just Blushing Monk. It's good, but I can't really tell it's barrel-aged.

M: Nice and full as usual.

O: So, heading into this beer, I was actually pretty nervous. Putting Blushing Monk in a tequila barrel was the last thing I would do. Just doesn't seem like it would work, and yet, here I am wishing for more barrel! I honestly can't even tell this is barrel-aged. Did they keep it in there for 1 month? I do think there's a happy medium for this beer, where you get a small nice touch of the tequila barrels to liven up the raspberry flavors, but this isn't it. As a beer, it's still great, because, well, Blushing Monk is great. But they miss the mark on what they were going for.

Recommendation: If you like Blushing Monk, it's worth a spin, but don't go in expecting a ton of tequila (or any for that matter).

Jul 03, 2020