Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Canadian Breakfast Stout (CBS) is the epitome of why we launched the Backstage Series: to bring some of our most sought-after beers, which have been available primarily at the taproom or at a few select events, to a much larger audience.

Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup.

Added by CRJMellor on 02-01-2009

Ratings: 4,325 |  Reviews: 995

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On tap. Flying Saucer Fort Worth.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on-tap at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Pours a dark, dark brown nearing black with a nice 1 finger creamy light tan head.

S: Wonderful aroma of coffee, some sweet, sticky bourbon rich cocoa, milk chocolate and a wonderfully rich and potent maple syrup.

T: I must say, that I was skeptical of the hype being given to this beer, but Founders really delivered with this beer (but when do they not). The typical elements of all great BA Imperial Stouts are found; chocolate, coffee, bourbon, oak, vanilla, ect., but the addition of the maple syrup bourbon barrel aging is just phenomenal. Sweet, sticky, rich, but never overpowering. Incredible balance in this flavor profile.

M: Full-bodied with fairly low and creamy carbonation with a nice warming bourbon that coats the entire palate quite nicely along with the maple syrup.

D: I just hope that they bottle this as I could drink this all night long.

Overall this beer certainly lived up to its hype for me and is yet another expertly crafted Imperial Stout from Founders. Highly Recommended.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a black tar shadow. Tiny small bubble forms on the rim, no foamy head. The bubbles are a mocha brown and dissipate quickly.
Aroma is intense maple/chocolate/coffee in that order. The maple smells so strong, makes for a sweet tooth boner. reminds me initially of Good Morning, but this smells richer and thicker. Plenty to love about this smell, I'm ready for a sugar bomb!
Delicious, awesome bourbon vanilla balance. Now the coffee comes through and its beautiful.. Every flavor incorporated in the making of this beer is felt in even the smallest sip. There are no layers of different flavors here, everything is a pure mix and compliments itself. huge maple,coffee,rich chocolates, and bourbon sweetness to die for. Some will probably knock the (I'm not going to call it thin because it's not) mouthfeel, because we all probably crave the molasses/chewy BCBS style. But this beer is so damn easy to drink, make sure to take your time and let it warm up. Definitely an amazing beer, so awesomely crafted and balanced, very rich - just a pleasure to finally get my hands on a white whale like this. Was at first sad to trade away one of my favorite beers to obtain it, but in the end it was worth the price.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at blue dog chalfont.

A- comes to me with a small cap of coffee with a bit of cream colored creamy head that settles slowly to a thick ring of suds and a ton of gooey sticky lace. Theres no other word for the body of this brew but black, all the way.

S- smells like gram ma's kitchen in the morning. Maple syrup, dark roasted coffee, bakers chocolate. Dark breads. Touches of booze. This smells very good.

T- opens up with a landslide of coffee and maple syrup. Dark and milk chocolate with some char and super dark malts. Long roasty finish.

M- full bodied but not thick or chewy. Lite to mid carb that fits the brew nicely. Just a touch of heat. Nice.

D- for one of the boldest and interesting beers I've ever had and as complex as it is you can sit and enjoy it very easily. Fabulous stuff and never disappoints.

4.82/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured at Rustico in Va. Smell is fantastic, mouthfeel is velvety and the maple is present and so delicious it had you smacking your lips for more. Maple syrup is not too sweet. Doesn't overpower the chocolate and bourbon notes. Really lucky to try this

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Extremely dark, almost black in the glass, but some light makes it into the corner of the glass. A very small tan head sits at the surface until the end, leaving a nice lace on the glass for an imperial stout. Looks great, but I've seen some that look much more intimidating. Impressive overall.

S - Sweetness in the form of vanilla and maple syrup, notes of coffee and chocolate, and of course I get a good bit of bourbon. Nowhere near what I smell with KBS, which is a good thing for me, but the alcohol is alive in the aroma here. Extremely pleasant overall.

T - I get a strong maple coffee flavor up front, mixed with some chocolate and fairly notable bourbon flavor (again, nothing close to the bourbon in KBS, so I'm excited for the rest of this one). This is a pretty darn sweet brew, but that didn't stop me from having multiple glasses. I guess I should expect a lot of sweetness in a BS. I preferred this one as it warmed since it was initially served a bit too cold. The flavors really explode and blend nicely to create possibly the best stout I've tasted to date. This brew was somewhat warming, but that doesn't surprise me at all. Taste is off the charts, overall.

M - Not as thick and chewy as I would have guessed (that's a plus), almost thin for an imperial stout, but very smooth. I feel like the carbonation is spot on... There isn't too much at all, which is how I like my heavy stouts.

D - Well I had no issue downing 30 oz. of this delicious beer during happy hour so I'd say it's a heck of a drinkable beer for what it is. You wouldn't want to slam them all night or else you'd probably get sick, and you wallet would be empty (rightfully so). It's a beer that you'll rarely have a chance to try. If you see this on tap, pick up a glass, and don't be hesitant to order another. By the way, I DEFINITELY prefer this to KBS. Much more pleasant and I don't get the liquor and heat that I got from KBS.

Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company